Sign in to follow this  
Don Duff

More Armor to Abrams

I dont now if i am the only one ho get disturbed by this but THE M1A1 IS YUST TO WEAK !!!

I dont now if i am the only one ho get disturbed by this but THE M1A1 IS YUST TO WEAK !!!

I'm disturbed by the amount of errors in that once sentence. Fascinating..

Arch.

Yes it looks fine but its still needs more armor to be realistic

errrr.... what? crazy_o.gif

You know that this tank *gasp* actually can *gasp* be destroyed, right? tounge2.gif

it depends. by default the tanks are pretty lethal. the avaliability of javalins in the berzerk mod makes them a bit poo, but thats an issue for the mod team.

if you mean default arma, i dunno i think their ok, i dont know how easy tanks are to nail in real life, but i'd imagine their not very hard.

I now that it can be destroyed but not as easy as in the game

unless its destroyed by there own sabot rounds there not easy easy so to say, insurgents in built up areas tend to jump out behind an fire rpg's into the exhaust vents, or aim for the track setc, just 2 disable them

I now that it can be destroyed but not as easy as in the game

Its probably not due to the fact of "poor" armor, it usually takes three to four shots from the M136 AT4 (or RPG-7) to blow up a tank, but from the insane amount of M136s/RPG-7s that are available to players. Thats the unrealistic part...

Well, currently its like "TANK GOT HIT! WHOOOOSH! BIG EXPLOSION AND EVERYONE IN A 15M RADIUS INSTANTLY DIES MUAHAHHA!"

I would prefer more realistic tank damage, but its not a top priority IMO. smile_o.gif

(And things like disabled tracks/turrets are already in, its just that it almost never occurs thanks to the rather annoying handling of armor values)

Well, currently its like "TANK GOT HIT! WHOOOOSH! BIG EXPLOSION AND EVERYONE IN A 15M RADIUS INSTANTLY DIES MUAHAHHA!"

NOt with an AT4 its not, unless you're able to hit it from behind, which is fairly realistic.

I think that it's mainly a game balancing thing. What I would recommend is that when you expect to engage infantry, don't go up close to them. So on a hill 800 meters away and use your m240 like an artillery piece. I've never run out of ammo for that thing.

I am sure BIS will welcome any actual research done by you on the subject of how easy it is to destroy a tank in real life.

And who told you that...?

The MBT in game is a M1A1 (not M1A1HA or M1A2)

This quite old model was far from beeing a "super MBT" and a modernized T-72 with high grade Ammunitions would be a real thread for it.

In fact, also a Leopard II A6 MBT (the one I know from inside) ist not counted as "invincible" this days by its crews.

The problem with ArmA and it's tanks is nor armour values, its missing capabillities that would make the difference.

like:

~thermal imaging systems

~computer assisted main gun system with Laser range finder

~real horizontal & vertical stabilisation depending an computed point of impact

~real main gun depression values like 9° for taking advantage of hull down positions.

~faster speed uphill

~maximum governed speed on flat and downhill terrain

~water fording ability without "exploding"

~and on and on and on

Armour values would be much less of a problem then, because in real life you avoid to be hit anyway.

If you are hit, the show ist probably over for you, even if the tank ist not destroyed.

tanks are lethal in arma, and that's how it should be. however, right now the infantry is pretty useless against tanks because the javelins mostly need numerous rounds to destroy a tank and at4's are too weak. in real life a javelin will in most cases kill a tank with 1 shoot, but right now the javelins don't even move properly (they don't go up in the air and hit the tank from above). have a look at joint operation's javelin system and you will know what i mean.

AT4's are too weak?

According to FAS, those things are designed to penetrate 400 mm of RHA with its HEAT warhead. Also according to FAS, the front turret armour of the T-72 S (export) is equivalent to 520mm, 900 vs. HEAT (I don't know if they mean with ERA or what). Now, you need to hit the t72 in the front a number of times before the crew bails out, three times or twice in the sides and once or twice in the back. Sometimes they'll even explode if you hit them in the back once. Those numbers sound alright to me if you're trying to simulate something with hitpoints.

Um..... no.

The T72 goes down in 1 Abrams shot...Meanwhile the abrams takes at least two. Thus we need ether a T80 or increased unrealistic armor values for the T72.

I think BIS responded to the criticism in OFP that the M1A1 was too powerful by making the Abrams and T-72 almost even, and the T-72 in ArmA isnt even one of the fancy new upgraded ones. Im sure this is the sort of thing that can be fixed by mods.

I'm disturbed by the amount of errors in that once sentence. Fascinating..

Arch.

Yes, he made twice as many as you did in yours.

"Hello pot, this is kettle. Black, over!"   biggrin_o.gif

Um..... no.

The T72 goes down in 1 Abrams shot...Meanwhile the abrams takes at least two. Thus we need ether a T80 or increased unrealistic armor values for the T72.

Or balance through numbers. Bring more T-72 wink_o.gif

But a T-80 would be sweet, indeed

but right now the javelins don't even move properly (they don't go up in the air and hit the tank from above). have a look at joint operation's javelin system and you will know what i mean.

im 100% sure ive seen a video from armed assault of a mod someone made that makes it work correctly. if you aim above the target it goes into a top attack mode, the video looked cool as hell.

edit: bingo ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeOzcEEqe7c

but right now the javelins don't even move properly (they don't go up in the air and hit the tank from above). have a look at joint operation's javelin system and you will know what i mean.

im 100% sure ive seen a video from armed assault of a mod someone made that makes it work correctly. if you aim above the target it goes into a top attack mode, the video looked cool as hell.

edit: bingo ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeOzcEEqe7c

aiming higher won't lock on the jav. right now you have to aim lower because of the borken optics for it. or am i wrong? band.gif

Can't you lock on 1st with target in center and then aim high to force missile going up?

i aim a little low, that video is of the modwar addon or something, its not normal behaviour of the jav in game

Tanking in Arma is not as good as OPFR, i really have no clue about whats realistic or not but from a gameplay perspective its not interesting anymore... i feel like im playing OPF with the M60 vs the T55.

Its a one shot one kill scenario everytime, there is no engine or turret/main gun busting anymore. The T72 blows up in flames every single time, the M1 is disabled with one shot, it doesnt matter where the MBT's are hit anymore.

The damage model was much more noticeable in OPF.

Heat rounds had less penetration but more spread damage, sabot inflicted more localised damage wich simulated armour penetration better imo.

Heat is currently a useless round, it doesnt even knock out a HMMWV..

The commander sights should zoom, cleaning them wouldnt be a bad idea either.

This aspect of ArmA really needs work confused_o.gif .