Sign in to follow this  
USMC NEEDER

This game is boring

I dont know how a game with a mission editor can be boring.

I think its the people playing the game who are boring.

No imagination. crazy_o.gif

I don't find it boring but I can certainly see how people might find it so! It's not a very fast game and with the increased view distance, fights happen even further away than ofp!

Agreed: bottom line, they took too long. Just like Nam. (i.e. "They cost too much and didn't produce"; to quote a movie [uncommon Valor]) I'm just waiting on Game 2 now. Then again, what do I know, I'm just a consumer and I'm not ever right...here. (Yeah, it's irony) It's hard to be the smartest, yet least driven, guy in the room. Don't feel too bad; It's the way of things. History always bears our kind out. Then all these zealots are suspiciously quiet. Funny.

Agreed: bottom line, they took too long. Just like Nam. (i.e. "They cost too much and didn't produce"; to quote a movie [uncommon Valor]) I'm just waiting on Game 2 now. Then again, what do I know, I'm just a consumer and I'm not ever right...here. (Yeah, it's irony) It's hard to be the smartest, yet least driven, guy in the room. Don't feel too bad; It's the way of things. History always bears our kind out. Then all these zealots are suspiciously quiet. Funny.

I played OP:F for a bit but got bitten by CS, DOD, Joint Op's CS:S, warcraft 3, CandC generals, Battlefield 2 then WOW then COH. I came full circle with ARMA as now I have the gameplay and the pretty GFX.

If you played OP:F non stop for 5 years ARMA adds pretty FX and some new elements but it's not a new game.

If your ARm'ed out then go play stalker or CandC 3 and we shall see you in a few months time.

For some ARMA feels new, and adds all that stuff you felt was mising in Joint Op's CS and BF2. For others it's not new enough till more mods and extra's are added.

If you eat steak and fine wine every day you get bored of steak and fine wine given time and want a pizza and a coke.

@USMC NEEDER

I find it nice that you as the initiator of the thread found

your part in the game which isn't boring (mp) but i'm still

waiting for an explanation how the editor of the game can

be boring.

Off course you don't need to give me an answer on that but

then it again it wouldn't make sense that you started that

thread at all.

~S~ CD

I don't know how this game can ever be boring. It's certainly slow and, like a flight simulator (My life for il2!!wink_o.gif takes large amounts of study to really excel in.

But that's what makes it fun! Having your support team suppress the enemy while your assault team flanks and your Sierra teams pick off the stragglers.. there's just no game on the market where you can do that to human players. Thanks to the long respawn times (if any) the feel of realism and the large travel times, people don't want to die and that alone is enough to make this game great, in my mind. That it has more to offer just makes it better smile_o.gif

Certainly, the reliance on the community to flesh out the game is pretty yellow, but I can live with that.

As for CTF, I don't share the same views about the ACU. Sure, it's easier to spot, but if you're been playing long, you look for outlines and movement anyhow. A good player will spot the OPFOR mere fractions of a second after the BLUFOR in green areas. There is desert in ArmA though, and in that setting, the green of the OPFOR tends to stand out, and the tables are reversed, so what does it matter?

And thanks to the mission editor, you could always download new character skins and make a new CTF without the desert ACU.

ARMA is a tactical shooter, but because ARMA does not have a squad system like BF2, ARMA ends up being ramboism in a realistic setting.

MP fails for that reason on pub servers, compared to BF2 Project Reality MOD, where the team work in squads is super tight.

Add a squad system like BF2 to ARMA and gameplay will improve a lot.

yesterday i played RTCW and that is super and "enjoying" game smile_o.gif

i only play SP, because i don't have internet at home :/

also i wanna enojoy and have fun, not to be super serious in MP

ARMA is a tactical shooter, but because ARMA does not have a squad system like BF2, ARMA ends up being ramboism in a realistic setting.

MP fails for that reason on pub servers, compared to BF2 Project Reality MOD, where the team work in squads is super tight.

Add a squad system like BF2 to ARMA and gameplay will improve a lot.

veeeeery true

As for CTF, I don't share the same views about the ACU. Sure, it's easier to spot, but if you're been playing long, you look for outlines and movement anyhow. A good player will spot the OPFOR mere fractions of a second after the BLUFOR in green areas. There is desert in ArmA though, and in that setting, the green of the OPFOR tends to stand out, and the tables are reversed, so what does it matter?

About time you joined this forum smile_o.gif .

I definitely don't think this game is boring. The included single player stuff isn't so good, but there is a mission editor so people can make more missions. There are already missions available for download - some of them are pretty good.

And of course the MP is awesome (unless maybe you are playing on some random public server with people you don't know).

I hope to release some missions of my own, and work on a mod.

If you eat steak and fine wine every day you get bored of steak and fine wine given time and want a pizza and a coke.

I don't know if I agree with your analogy but I think that you do have a good point in-so-far as to what many long-time OFP-vets (that I don't know personally) are concerned about regarding their expectations/observations. (i.e. What ArmA was going to be versus what they have on their hard-drives currently). I glean that the issue at-hand is more than just too much of "more of the same, plus this and that" and more likely a case of: "more of the same, and where is this and that?" My main gripe with the game is that my personal definition of what would constitute "OFP 1.5" was quite a bit beefier, to borrow a theme, than what was served up. I'd also like to thank you for your genteel reply; it's refreshing and most welcome. Also/And to borrow your theme again, I would like to say that I feel more like I have been eating custom butchered steak for 5 years, and now I am being served steak again indeed: only this time it's from Outback Steakhouse; not an improvement...and a bore to sit through.

P.S. The moment that I noticed that there were no "steer-able" parachutes; I smelled something rotten in Denmark. ArmA should have included--at the very least--some of the basic functionality of most of the long-used OFP add-ons from the community. (BIS should be quite aware of what these are: BAS everything, Steer-able Chute, Ejection Seats, "Custom Weapons Selection in every mode of game play", "Wider fields of night vision to make up for the lack of peripheral vision inherent in all video games"). I mean, the code was right there, all they had to do was cut and paste (EX: Perhaps give some kid in Russia a couple of hundred bucks for the intellectual property rights. Easily within their scope and grasp). Eh, I digress. I'll shut-up now.

If I would not know OFP and OFP history and tried ArmA 1.0 out of the box where trailers and on the paper box it is suggesting to be THE GAME, I would not only find it boring with all the buggy missions and the pest-campaign, I would have other words for it.

The problem today is that we come from excellent OFP missions down to the early versions of ArmA missions. Those missions fighting with home made bugs, but mainly with ArmA engine related problems.

I can not say it is boring, each time the server crashes (which is very seldom compared with OFP) or the client, I am angry, not bored.

Right were to start wink_o.gif I've loved and played OFP since day 1 and i kid you not "Day 1" I'm kind of at a loss for words when i read threads like this one started by socalled OFP vets?

If you've played flashpoint for so long and love it, it's impossible to not love Arma. Is Arma a bit rough around the edges? Yes i cant deny that, however if you remember OFP was far worse of in the beginning.

How can you find Arma boring and yet still love OFP? did i expect more from Arma No! did i want it to be more? Yes offcourse i did, i wanted a new squad menu, walking inside vehicles, more support for large structures/vehicles and even more realistic military hardware and missions.

However what we got was OFP 1.5 and i for one am greatfull that a company like BIS could provide us with the only real military simulator to date even if it isnt perfect. So lets just stop whinning and make Arma into the game we want it to be just like we did with Operation Flashpoint.

Ohh and about the so called "Game 2" i wouldn't count on it getting released anytime soon or at all if BIS isnt developing it, the games buiz has a bad habbit of forgetting franchises that dont make a "Huge" profit.

Can a mod just close this thread? Please? Now that some marines came out im happy whistle.gifsmile_o.gif

band.gif

So basically you started this rant because you wanted marines in the game, and therefore it was boring?

Sense?

Quote[/b] ]So basically you started this rant because you wanted marines in the game, and therefore it was boring?

Sense?

Not much smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]So basically you started this rant because you wanted marines in the game, and therefore it was boring?

Sense?

Not much smile_o.gif

yup, that or this:

Quote[/b] ]I dont know how a game with a mission editor can be boring.

I think its the people playing the game who are boring.

No imagination. crazy_o.gif

sometimes i feel my self bored or witouth imagination/inspiration.

sometimes i feel my self bored or witouth imagination/inspiration.

I never thought i would feel like this, but this is exactly how i feel about ArmA at this precise moment.

I don't know what i expected, much of the same i guess, but i wasn't prepared for my lack of enthusiasm when i fired up the editor. I suppose it may have something to do with the severe lack of units or the fact we had the US again, against some tin-pot soviet armoured nation. An island too diverse to be realistic (imo) also the reacurring bugs from early builds of Flashpoint didn't help stir up my imagination as i knew we were in for another frequent patch fest.

All in all i'm probably a little to uninspired to attempt any kind of gameplay. I may at some time install patch version 1.96 for ArmA as it seems to be heading that way, but until i start reading less posts in the troubleshooting section i'll not even attempt to play it.

To needers call that ArmA is boring. He does have a point. But the game is still reasonably new. Some of the addons relesed look great, and those are made with the old ofp tools!

Yeah, its still ofp dressed up, but give it time. How was ofp when you first played it and how small was your addons folder compared to now! crazy_o.gif 2-3GB at least! Give it time. Wait for the new build tools to be relesed and my geuss, get ready to drool. Have a little faith for the future of this game. Heck, I've got to pull myself away from MP so I can get familiar with the mission editor! Happy hunting all. wink_o.gif

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding why BIS would release this game without tools knowing what led to OFP's sucess was the addons? maybe they had to rush to get money but if not it's retarted sad_o.gif I hope they release them very soon!

MODedit: ok closing on request by author , for crowd: spread to other topics smile_o.gif