Sign in to follow this  
cbfasi

Falklands Mod 1.0 Released

Wth the amount of pressure coming from the general public regarding both missing items and all the bugs, most of the team would dream of a rest....

Good luck with the South Georiga Mission, THe 'Mill's Job was a good one, and you will find some basic 'SG defences' built for the mission that never was..

Information of use...

Marines postioned around Cj 41.

British Antartic Survery team at the Church (hence two winter like Civvies in our mod!wink_o.gif

Puma hit at around DB43, with it crashing across the bay at about Ci47

Alouette hit at around Ci44, crashing at about Ch46.

Argentines did get some teams in at CC43, these advanced while under fire aroudn to King Edward Point where the Marine after taking succesful pot sots at the Corvette (hitting near the waterline, forcing a withdraw) surrendered to superior numbers.

However none of the buildings are enterable on that map, partly down to many being effectively ruins with rather complex machinery (many buildings seen on the map btw have been demolsihed since! so be very careful when looking up pictures of the place, it almost caught me out too!wink_o.gif

As for the non-solid house, a minor error now fixed, thanks or the loaction helped me find out which one, I hope sometime soon to get this bunch of updates up.

As regards the Bahia Paraision, I have too little information about her to make a reasonable representation of the ship.

Thanks for the info this helps alot. Piecing together where everything was located has been a little difficult as most the info I find on the web is nearly identical to one another and doesn't answer the questions I have.

You wouldn't happen to know which house is Shackleton House by any chance?

I plan on using one of the civilian models to represent Steve Martin. From what I understand he was taking cover in a ditch by a road during the battle, would this be near the church or was he on King Edwards point?

It was Argentine Marines that attacked Grytviken. The Argentine marines do not look dressed for South Georgia in the mod and I'm not sure if the Conscripts are either. Would it be a better idea to use the Ca Cdo troops with the jackets and vest to represent the Argentine Marines on South Georgia?

Also any one have some good websites with pictures and possibly some battle maps to suggest? Tommorow I plan to head to my local library and check out some books on the Falklands conflict, my local library is small though and will likely have a limited selection of books on the conflict.

Quote[/b] ]Wth the amount of pressure coming from the general public regarding both missing items and all the bugs, most of the team would dream of a rest....

wink_o.gif take it is as a compliment it means people are interested in the mod.

I'm not a scripting genius but one thing I thought might be cool is if some one could come up with a frosty breath script for infantry. Mostly for cut scenes as I doubt you'd notice in battles and it would be a waste of memory in that scenario.

You wouldn't happen to know which house is Shackleton House by any chance?

i think it's the huge house. can't remember the grid reference though, but it's the largest house at king edwards point. i think so anyways.

and battle maps.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/falklands/battles.html

Excellent thanks for the link.

As for the big house I think I know the one you mean, the big blue one that's the farthest to the east? On the Englands small war site it mentions that the sniper was lying on a table on the second floor of Shackelton house, well the blue house seems to be the only two floor house on the point.

One thing I must mention is that I'm trying to create this as a historically accurate mission, yet it will be open ended. I plan to set it up so that when the mission begins all troops and ships will be in their historical locations. However through your behaviour you can rewrite history. This will be a Chain of Command CE mission and you will take the roll of Lieutenant Keith Mills in command of 22 Royal Marines.

So far this mission is in a very embryonic stage. However I have lots of markers placed on the map as place holders to the location of troops and events.

heres another site with maps, and a section about the south georgia invasion.

http://www.naval-history.net/NAVAL1982FALKLANDS.htm

in a south georgia mission it'd be good if you could organise your own defence, as in the player manually places a number of those gpmg's set up on boxes in positions which they feel would make a good defence, and some snow covered bunkers to offer cover.

Thanks James that ones even better.

Quote[/b] ]in a south georgia mission it'd be good if you could organise your own defence, as in the player manually places a number of those gpmg's set up on boxes in positions which they feel would make a good defence, and some snow covered bunkers to offer cover.

That might be an idea, sort of like the mission Alamo that seems to be a favorite. From what I read it seems they had one machine gun nest set up in front of the Shackleton house...

From Britains small wars dot com...

Quote[/b] ]Mills chose a 35 ft plateau behind Shackleton House as his main defensive position. As it was still summer and the grass was high, the plateau offered excellent concealment for four two-man and two three-man trenches, from which the Marines could cover the approaches to Grytviken and King Edward Point. Corporal Thomsen's 5-man section armed with a GPMG placed themselves in front of Shackleton House, ready to bring down fire on any one trying to land on the beach. Marines Daniels, Porter and Church, mined the beach in front of the Customs house.

I actually am now heavilly leaning towards letting the player place the machine gun nest and trenches by a script and perhaps adding script for placing anti personal mines and that barrel of explosives that they placed on the dock. This would also take the weight off my chest of trying to figure out where mills placed his trenches and mines in reality and could aslo add to the replayibility factor.

About the comment on a breath script.

It has been discussed before, when I was doing a winter mission years ago. The problem is, that you cannot detect a unit's pose. I mean whether he's standing, crouching, lying etc.

You can get the breath mist to come from his mouth when he's standing but that's about it.

I had a theory that you could check his weapon height but somebody said that it would only work after it was fired, thus making it unworkable.

I would love to hear other people's theory on it. As we all know, Flashpoint engine barriers and such have been coming down for years. This would be another great coup.

I had a theory that you could check his weapon height but somebody said that it would only work after it was fired, thus making it unworkable.

Well ever good soldier should know that you hold a half breath before Squeezing the trigger and then exhale!

biggrin_o.gif

Shackelton House is indeed the big blue building, it can be made enterable if wanted but would currently be a big empty room inside...

(work was done but then I blocked it up with geo lods, not 100% sure if the current had the insides pulled out or not)

If it will help I can certainly knock it back into an enterable building with some basic room layouts (missing furniture unless I work out proxies again)

Well ever good soldier should know that you hold a half breath before Squeezing the trigger and then exhale!

biggrin_o.gif

Yeah but you could run around for 20mins before you fired, with the breath coming out of your arse, before your shot got it to come from the correct orifice.

I've been messing with the editor for a couple of days now, and am loving flying argie skyhawks against a ship in san carlos bay with a couple of 20mm and fire control radar's on the land around. Bloody hard but good fun!

. One thing I have noticed, and I don't know whether its a bug, error or correct is that the mirage (strike) and etendard don't seem to have any SAM warning beeb like the skyhawk?

Are you updating the whole rar file with each of the updates, or do we have to download each one separately? I'd prefer to be able to just download the whole kit and caboodle again at once.

Good work chaps! yay.gif

1.1 will be kit and cobuddle

owever in the mean time fixes can be grabbed indivudallu

1.1 will have more than fixes.

Wasn't there some fancy plane-break-apart effects for when certain aircrafts got hit. Where have they gone? Did I hallucinate or do you plan to include them in 1.1?

the a4 migrage and super ent have it, strangley the others dont, and i know for a fact the pucara and mirage used to have it....

Etendard, Aermacchi and A4 all explode into bits.

Pucaras and Mirages will explode into bits in forthcoming versions...

Apologies for this mistake on my part.

Congratulations folk ! It is a great job ! Bravo Zulu !

I hope to see soon a campaign !

I like the George cross at the top of the mast. That would be very effective way to force a rapid resignation of all the Welsh, Scots, and Irish servicemen. Bah.

just finished reading some of the argie theroys about the sinking,they really do believe that they sunk our carrier,makes you wonder what thier government had told them,

and as for the Falklands Mod,at last a vulcan bomber, what a beast

Maybe there should be a mission, where you have to seach the UK for parts to make the Vulcan able to make mid air refueling?

....hm I'm sorry , but where is the pilot of the Red Arrow Hawk ?