Sign in to follow this  
Rejn

The Cause

sounds like some solid ideas biggrin_o.gif

I plan to make a few weather variations in future missions smile_o.gif

I hope to make a storm scene at some point smile_o.gif

Dude these missions just made buying AA worth it....

Hands down better acting, scripting, everything than the preset missions.

Just freakin awesome!

The missions are just awesome. You have to make a campaign. I really like the atmosphere in the missions and the music takes it to a level never reached in the official missions. Atmosphere is what I need to keep the will to play. The music played when you're attacking the village in the first mission reminds me very much about Vietnam, more of that biggrin_o.gif Voice acting is superb. It's like you had your little studio over there wow_o.gif . The missions have perfect length if you ask me and then I count the first one as an introduction mission which makes it alright. Another thing I really like is that you don't need to play hero to complete the missions. Level of difficulty is almost perfect IMO.

I didn't find any big fault in the mission except for the third mission where all the AI runs out in no man's land. This might have something to do with the AI disobeying orders like hold fire. I clearly hear the squad leader issue the order "ALL DISENGAGE" yet everyone runs out. I blame Suma for that as he's the lead programmer.

Thanks guys I really enjoy hearing that people enjoy the missions. Makes making them worthwhile smile_o.gif

Why HUMVEES you ask? smile_o.gif I'll explain next mission probably... I need better debriefs lol

The Humvees was part of the U.S. Armoured support contingent that was working alongside the RACS. Why and what they were doing there is like what they were doing in Somalia during the blackhawk down crisis. Attempting to get to the tanks from behind enemy lines to pick up the crews and get the hell out. They we're hoping that RAC m113 support would help but they got waylaid.

Company D which is fighting at the frontlines with you consists of about 50 men or so. Thats not a huge deal particualarly when their dying off so fast. You do get support from a neihbouring AT infantry unit of 5 men and a bmp load of 7 riflemen including one mger I think.

pistols.gif

Eventually the next wave of armour arrives. I will give more debriefing details at some point.

biggrin_o.gif

EDIT:

Oh yeah and I plan to put all of these into a campaign mission once im done smile_o.gif

Just wondering how many of you play with super Ai on?

I just turned it on today and I do notice a fair ammount of ai improvement in terms of targeting over longer distances etc.

Btw does anyone know how one can change to veteran mode ingame? I click the difficualty bar but it only lets me fine tune the settings. Generally Im guessing you choose it before u enter a mission am i right or can u set it in general?

thanks.

I copy the pbo files into my campaigns folder and start Arma and I get the warning:

no entry "campaigns\THE%20CAUSE.Sara.PBO\description.ext.campaign"

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry for the noob question...

That's not a campain but a mission, several missions in fact, hence, you just have to put it in your mission folder.

About veteran mode, it's not possible to change to it ingame. So you must choose it before entering in a mission.

Yeah as of the moment their only missions. I will eventually make them into a campaign.

Haha I suspected I was being stupid, but I didn't realise THAT stupid. sad_o.gif

Thanks for the speedy help guys. I'm looking forward to playing these...

Haha I suspected I was being stupid, but I didn't realise THAT stupid.  sad_o.gif

Thanks for the speedy help guys. I'm looking forward to playing these...

No worries smile_o.gif

Let us know what how you liek the missions smile_o.gif

I just completed the first two. Excellent, and very realistic. So little cover, and intense, confused combat. Hiding behind a hay bale with my entire platoon dead around me - waiting for support - I panicked and shot a friendly at 200m. Poor bastard.

The serious part of combat - movement, cover, los, sa - is represented really well. Actually firing my weapon is less important, as it should be.

Great stuff.

I just did the first one, at first try the "experienced" RPG dude wasted all the rockets on infantry so when this hmmwv arrived it took us all out.

The a.i. in Arma is currently... acurate, they can see and shoot alot better than me and faster too, i was struggling for some not very acurate single shots while the "combat experienced" beach boys were exchanging acurate full automatic fire with the US soldiers. I just felt like a total noob lol.

After being killed twice more and on my 4th reload i just sat down behind a tree, uncle Dmitry and the boys must have felt sorry for me and took out all the oposition because soon after i saw "Mission complete" written on the screen, pheww.

Nice work, full featured mission with top notch voice acting smile_o.gif .

I love it in the first mission when the leader says, "Yuri, watch out, you have no combat experience!" or something, it cracks me up everytime I hear it.

-

-

-

-

-

spoilers

-

-

-

-

-

There is another Rpg in the car, although you have to be quick to retrieve it.

As far as the last mission is concerned, yes it was good too, but I got a little pissed off because I couldn't really find a proper spot for the mg. But that's because of the grass and not about mission design. The best part for me, was probably when you have to make a dash for the back up area near Obregan and avoid the american tanks. The end cut scene wasn't nearly as good as your previous ones too. Overall a pretty good mission though.

Thanks for the feedback guys biggrin_o.gif Appreciate it very much.

@Kwato: yeah it is a problem with the grass, I have found that I have to crawl infront of the bushes usually to get a good shot. This can be rather dangerous and I found that if you run down past the arty or close to it you can get into a good position where you do not have to worry about anything coming from the left. I managed to cut down most of the opposition that way before they reached our lines >biggrin_o.gif

I just did the first one, at first try the "experienced" RPG dude wasted all the rockets on infantry so when this hmmwv arrived it took us all out.

The a.i. in Arma is currently... acurate, they can see and shoot alot better than me and faster too, i was struggling for some not very acurate single shots while the "combat experienced" beach boys were exchanging acurate full automatic fire with the US soldiers. I just felt like a total noob lol.

After being killed twice more and on my 4th reload i just sat down behind a tree, uncle Dmitry and the boys must have felt sorry for me and took out all the oposition because soon after i saw "Mission complete" written on the screen, pheww.

Nice work, full featured mission with top notch voice acting smile_o.gif .

Lol thanks smile_o.gif

Yeah the missions are designed so that there is a chance that the mission is completed without your help. This is to give the feel that the player is not the sole factor of any mission but can make a significant contribution to the missions progress smile_o.gif

I finished the 3rd mission - it was just as good as the second. It's great that every time I think "gotta pull back" or something, your script has someone shout the same thing. Very immersive.

Again I shot a comrade! But I made up for it by emptying 60 rounds into an enemy humvee with both my legs shot out. I think I killed a handful of enemy soldiers all up, but it was hard to tell. In my report I'd claim 7! Again, very realistic.

More missions just like these! Your attention to detail and realism is appreciated.

the machinegun is very effective in the third mission. I killed about 40 soldiers the first time. Just aim at what looks like enemy soldiers running at the tree line ( don't bother with bursts, it's much more effective to just keep your finger on the trigger when you got all that ammo ) and open fire.

Quote[/b] ]Yeah the missions are designed so that there is a chance that the mission is completed without your help

that's really one of the things that I like most in your missions. I really don't like missions where you have to run infront of your squad and clear the path for them or else they will all die. tounge2.gif

I'll pipe in. Great voice acting & had a fun go playing the first two. Keep it up, if you ever make a campaign of these I'm sure it will be great. I'd include these missions with the growing but still rare user made gems for ArmA.

BIS really left it to the community to provide SP content this time round, and the community is answering the shout smile_o.gif

[spoiler!]

edit: in the first mission I spotted there is something in the trunk and had time to grab it, and proceeded to clean most of the capitalist pigs myself with a stolen M4. Props to the fact you don't really HAVE to though! If you can somehow make the whole series work like this instead of reverting to the typical player-has-to-eliminate-120-infantry-alone format I'll raise a toast.

[/end spoiler]

I think you did a great job on these missions to give a sense of immersion.

My only disappointment was with the second mission in that there wasn't much to actually shoot at, unless I'm doing something wrong. It seems all the enemy were dead before our squad gets close to them from these other friendly units in the area. Then the mission was over at the house.

Anyway, I like the 'ground up' storyline approach which helps with the immersion even though the original premise isn't plausible with some sort of sanctioned killing of a civilian family. But that's just me I guess. This isn't supposed to be a Spielberg film after all and more about some gaming action than subtle political undertones. wink_o.gif

Can't wait to try your third one.

Best way to stop a HMMWV in its tracks? KO the wheels, all it takes is 5 or so rounds, then the AI always bails.

I'm gonna double post here, but anyways:

Nice stuff, the first 5 minutes were better than the entire BIS campaign, hehehe.

...although in the introduction, the recon squad ran over one of their own blokes right in front of the camer - I cracked up. biggrin_o.gif

Anyway some suggestions insofar:

- Few grammatical errors in the briefing, try and fix those, and don't capitalise "Humvee" - this is a nickname, HMMWV is the acronym.

- An overview would be nice.

Nice music and great voice acting, though it seems the voices are a little loud, for example, you can hear Ivan telling you to stay close when you're close to 60 metres away.

Hi guys! Thanks for the feedback highly appreciate it!! biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Anyway, I like the 'ground up' storyline approach which helps with the immersion even though the original premise isn't plausible with some sort of sanctioned killing of a civilian family.

This I guess is a highly disputed question. For us in the west it seems so inprobable that our own troops could/would/be ordered to kill off a civilian family(s). However this has been documented as occuring in vietnam in villages etc where troops were ordered or proceeded to kill indiscriminantly.

Even in Fallujah after the election allied troops were told that anything coming out of there was a military target because the U.S had dropped leaflet warnings for everyone to get out. Sadly not everyone listened to those warnings.

If we consider the ammount of contreversy arising over Abu Graib etc and the allegations of massacres that arise every now and then and the questions as to who ordered what etc I find that people /organizations/ and politicains in the world are all the same and subject to the flaws of mankind.

Im not trying to make political point in the missions themselves however I have found it a large topic of interest to examine the attrocities commited by both allied and enemy troops since 1914 and to examine the other sides point of view.

Anyway thanks for the feedback smile_o.gif I hope that if i explore this concept further in my missions you wont be turned off lol smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]My only disappointment was with the second mission in that there wasn't much to actually shoot at, unless I'm doing something wrong.  It seems all the enemy were dead before our squad gets close to them from these other friendly units in the area.  Then the mission was over at the house.

Theres about 2 enemy companies around and the enemy being so far away from frontlines is low on ammo and supplies. I have found that there have been sometimes where I have playedt his mission and the enemy didn't seem concerntrated. They generally come in at you from the east (your left) and if you look over the fenceline down into the valley you should see a fair few running across to meet platoon 2. Second Platoon takes most of the brunt smile_o.gif

Once the BMP's arrive thats it. The bmp's tend to mop up nicely. I have managed to complete the mission with almost all of my squad surviving once. I find that in missions there is always some level of unpredictability. Which has its pros and cons.. D:

Quote[/b] ]...although in the introduction, the recon squad ran over one of their own blokes right in front of the camer - I cracked up.
 Damn you ARMA ai *shakes fist*

I tried hard to avoid that lol but it does happe n sometimes D:

Quote[/b] ]Nice music and great voice acting, though it seems the voices are a little loud, for example, you can hear Ivan telling you to stay close when you're close to 60 metres away.

Yeah I tried to figure out if you could make it so that you hear it at the same volume level as enemy/allied radio chatter commands. I havnt figured out how to do that.. I played around with the tiles volume level but doesnt do anything for me :/  

I could just alter the db levels i think... I'll have a play around. Thanks smile_o.gif

Just to be clear, I understand where you're coming from and that of course this is a fictional undertaking allowing us to play from the other side.

My point - for what it is worth - was that it would stay more in the realm of plausibility if it was more realistic in the sense of it being a 'rogue' element situation like some of those you describe and not policy (which is inferred by the continuation of large scale hostilities). For example, a rogue commander putting his units in an aggressive stance against the orders of higher ups who have no way of stopping him until units can be deployed weeks away.

It might make for an interesting story if our hero only needs to hold out against superior forces for a week or so until help arrives. I can almost see the progression of missions getting harder, with less and less friendly units until our hero finds himself holding out alone with his back against the beach and onrushing US forces without hope, when the fleet arrives from the sea behind him. yay.gif

It's no matter really, just some suggestions, after all it's your campaign and you've already done a lot of great work on it. I suppose I roll my eyes every time I see another mission with a lame premise of TEH EVILL US=H1Tl3R STEALZ UR OILS!!1 theme (yours of course not being one of them).

ps. Im not American either. wink_o.gif

Oh I see what you mean. Yeah the events of the first mission are a little unclear.

The soldiers are not killing off the village because their ordered to by U.S. policy. It is as you say a Seargent who just goes rogue and dismisses the policy of not harming civilians. A sad element of war. I didn't go to deeply into that part of the story sadly. I merely focused the camera on a ded american hoping to hint to the player that this might be the reason that the arriving U.S patrol is pissed off enough to undertake such an action.

I was thinking about weaving the events of the first mission into some of the following ones. Im still not 100% as to how Im going to do it.

Im pretty keen to stay away from the player = one man army approach smile_o.gif but I do forsee one or two missions again that focus directly or indirectly on the player's own personal crusade in the future.

However I want to keep it in the framework of plausibility. The player cannot suddenly find himself in a mission were the entire SLA unites behind him or were the entire U.S. forces suddenly converge on him forgetting about their respective objectives in war.

I think I might throw the player a few tidbits of information next mission since you've brought it up smile_o.gif

Thanks for the feedback and I will keep what you've said in mind smile_o.gif

As for the theme of U.S. = Evil. This is an iteresting phenomenon of war and I will portray various opinions along the missions that do and also don't align themselves with this theme. However I do hope to balance this by also illustrating that no one is better than the other.

One of the later missions will actually bring the player full circle and I will try and give the player an option as to which path he would like to take from there on in.