Sign in to follow this  
KilJoy -SFG-

Evolution V1.0 Large scale respawn coop

@ April 18 2007,10:56)]Except for the simple fact that with the BIS intent for users to create their own missions... there is no legal merit with what you are saying so it's pointless to bring it up. Look up "fair use" and don't be a know it all. He's (CaptainMurphy) not claiming it's his and he is not trying to make a profit.

What are you saying, that he is going to sue someone? He would have to register his work first of all before doing that. And I'm pretty sure by registering it he would want to be making money off of it, and I don't believe that would be legal. Good try.

By the way, great mission. But I do agree that we should appreciate his work and not do anything against his will. I would not want him to stop his tireless efforts because people are getting antsy.

I believe that Valve claims ownership of all derivative works associated with their product. These two circumstances are not equal. Regardless of the fact that it is enforcible, this mission and its intellectual property is copyrighted, and the rights are owned by the author.

You seem to really want me to be saying something in addition to that. I'm not. I'm simply saying that it *IS* like it is copyrighted. Kthnx.

The issue isn't about copyright law. That is for the weasel lawyers.

What this is about is showing respect for the people that do the hard work in the community making maps and mods. If a map maker asks not to modify his map then don't do it! If there is something in the map you don't like then tough noodles. Just because you can modify it doesn't mean you should.

The guy didn't make the map for profit. He did it as a labor of love and the only thing he asks from the community is a little respect.

Thieves who steal maps and mods damage the community by discouraging the creative people that actually do the hard work. It is so easy to take a mod or map and modify it slightly. Just because it is easy doesn't make it morally right!

Yes, some communities like CounterStrike have no respect for mod or map makers but do we really want this community to be like that?!! Are we nothing more than children that feel they can take whatever they want?

Thieves are amazing at justifying their actions so they can keep on being thieves.

I've had a fair few crashes in 1.4 which seemed just to be random. Also one very annoying bug: when flying a chopper over any part of the island I will get transported to a bit of ocean SW of Rahmadi and am left floating in the water or dead depending on whether my chopper crashed or not. This happened about 4 times in 3 hours of play.

@Stainer

That helo seems to be an ArmA glitch. It does seem to get more prevelant in the Evo for me but I think that is because I am always playing it! biggrin_o.gif

I have tried both exe's, cracked or not. It seems the cracked one is not nearly as stable but sometimes it will work.

Iam trying to finish up a script that allows the highest ranking person have an option to send out a "Mobile FARP". Essentially it is three trucks that go to a location and set up a mini command post when ordered to. Maybe that could be a useful item for the mission later on.

I am trying to finish up a script that allows the highest ranking person have an option to send out a "Mobile FARP". Essentially it is three trucks that go to a location and set up a mini command post when ordered to. Maybe that could be a useful item for the mission later on.

Thats an awesome idea. Would that be available to all the highest ranking players or just the person who gets to that rank first?

Not sure what would be the most balanced way to do it. If you allow it to be used too often it can make the game too easy. make it too hard to get and it won't get used at all. My idea was to make only one of them and a side item would be to have a small helo pad deploy with it and an AI pilot that ferries from the main base to the FARP location. The goal would be to make it able to pack/unpack and move to new locations.

Any thoughts?

Removing respawn of choppers = real bad.

It just made it completely not-fun for 3 or less players playing the map.

sad_o.gif   mad_o.gif   crazy_o.gif

Why?

We move our armor cache from city to city as we conquer them, but you STILL make us spawn back at the airport without any capibility of a forward spawn point. So what, I'm supposed to drive a hummer across the mountains 40-50 times a game?

I don't think so. The spawning choppers were nice because at least when I die, I can get in a chopper to our main forward armory point and then push forward...

... and if you don't have a dedicated guy doing airlifting, for which now he gets NO points, it's completely bad.

Seriously, why remove it? What major advantage did I have in having a chopper that had no ammo that respawned every 10 minutes?

If I may make a suggestion..

I am another who plays Evolution privately with a small group of guys.. 3 / 4 or less.. Perhaps make an option before the mission starts to Allow helicopter respawns.. its tough after they get shot down, to drive or run to the next base when your 5 hours into the map and no more air support ;(

Another option would be to make a "repair/refuel" chopper. With this you could fly to a downed unit and get it to whatever the minimum running specs are... then the downed unit could be driven/flown to a FARP for full repairs.

This would add the realism of having to watch assets without the trouble in convoying trucks across the map to recover vehicles others have crashed and left behind.. especially frustrating since the missions typically run for 15 hours or more with small groups.

if your playing in small groups this is what you do, you take along an ai and when you get out you get him into the pilot seat , select him and send him to the airport, when he is hovering over the airport order him to disembark, he will land at the nearest free helipad and when you die you have a mh6 at spawn.

I know people have asked about respawning on the leader but how about using the revive/respawn script used in operation crossfire v1.2? Using this would add a compromise to both sides of the fence but add the twist where your comrades have a limited time to revive you or you resawn back at the base (((with your current weapon loadout))). It gets annoying having to drive all over the world when the helos are gone. You could also add a point system to medics for reviveing a fallen soldier and have it specific to medics or have a medic pack that you can carry to revive yourself or others that uses weapon slots. These are just thoughts to add to an already great mission. I haven't had this much fun since the 7plyr DAMP mission on Cat afghanistan.

@ April 19 2007,04:18)]if your playing in small groups this is what you do, you take along an ai and when you get out you get him into the pilot seat , select him and send him to the airport, when he is hovering over the airport order him to disembark, he will land at the nearest free helipad and when you die you have a mh6 at spawn.

Sounds very complicated wink_o.gif

Our server also has a small group playing.

It would be nice if you would be able to add some serverside variables so each server can make it's own decisions how they want to play your wonderfull missions.

Monk.

Removing respawn of choppers = real bad.

It just made it completely not-fun for 3 or less players playing the map.

sad_o.gifmad_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Why?

We move our armor cache from city to city as we conquer them, but you STILL make us spawn back at the airport without any capibility of a forward spawn point. So what, I'm supposed to drive a hummer across the mountains 40-50 times a game?

I don't think so. The spawning choppers were nice because at least when I die, I can get in a chopper to our main forward armory point and then push forward...

... and if you don't have a dedicated guy doing airlifting, for which now he gets NO points, it's completely bad.

Seriously, why remove it? What major advantage did I have in having a chopper that had no ammo that respawned every 10 minutes?

Recover them!! I play on my LAN with 2 - 3 players and it's not a problem! If all the heli's are trashed we stop the conquer bit and do a recovery and when that is done it's back to taking over the world! It's not difficult, it's not a complicated issue, it's part of the game!!! banghead.gifbanghead.gif

Its only a game not real life, so make choopers spawn again, couse some kids when they come to server they take choopers around and crash somewhere on other side od island, its useless to play then.

@ April 19 2007,10:18)]if your playing in small groups this is what you do, you take along an ai and when you get out you get him into the pilot seat , select him and send him to the airport, when he is hovering over the airport order him to disembark, he will land at the nearest free helipad and when you die you have a mh6 at spawn.

I'm aware of making AI constantly my bitches to get around, but we already have enough repairing and chasing around to do as it is...

I'm a multi-year vet here, I know how to "baby step" drive the ai on the map to get from point a to point b without them getting stuck, but it's STILL a lot of work in those damn trucks and that AI logic. Seems a bit unnecessary to add in chopper repair to all the other stuff we have to do/repair/drive. After all, when we "capture" enemy armor, ai won't drive it, so we have to (t72's, bdrms, bmp2's, etc)... we have enuff to do.

Again, what advantage does the spawning choppers give us?

Besides the fact you just maybe want to drag on the mission another few hours doing mundane taskings... sad_o.gif Don't we have enough to do as it is, seriously?

@ April 19 2007,10:18)]if your playing in small groups this is what you do, you take along an ai and when you get out you get him into the pilot seat , select him and send him to the airport, when he is hovering over the airport order him to disembark, he will land at the nearest free helipad and when you die you have a mh6 at spawn.

I'm aware of making AI constantly my bitches to get around, but we already have enough repairing and chasing around to do as it is...

I'm a multi-year vet here, I know how to "baby step" drive the ai on the map to get from point a to point b without them getting stuck, but it's STILL a lot of work in those damn trucks and that AI logic. Seems a bit unnecessary to add in chopper repair to all the other stuff we have to do/repair/drive. After all, when we "capture" enemy armor, ai won't drive it, so we have to (t72's, bdrms, bmp2's, etc)... we have enuff to do.

Again, what advantage does the spawning choppers give us?

Besides the fact you just maybe want to drag on the mission another few hours doing mundane taskings... sad_o.gif Don't we have enough to do as it is, seriously?

I completely concur! Might I suggest also that there be some switch/option to enable respawning MH-6? or perhaps it is easier to release this map in 2 different styles? with or without?

1.4 Bugs

AI SPAM

I guy in our public server started spamming ai saying he was going to create an army. He would recruit the maximum number of ai, then leave the group. He did this repeatedly till the base was full of AI bot squads. These squads couldn't be joined because the ai leaders wouldn't accept us. We destroyed the squads by running them over with vehicles so we wouldn't lose rank.

Littlebird Transport

Possible bug in scoring transport missions where I would ferry other player's squads to the next town. After a while I noticed my score wasn't increasing for transporting men. I joined a different slot and it started scoring again. Later I checked again and I seemed to be getting fewer points then men transported, and it was over a distance of almost 10km. A hint or vehicle chat text would be welcome feedback for when recieving transport score. It would go a long way to figuring out which situations might not recieve points. smile_o.gif

So far 1.4 has been much better at keeping dsync down. It still slows down after a period of time. After about 9hrs of play, my server has slowed down to 18 fps, with about 535 MB of memory being used. There was a little dsync, but not much.

I hope you will make a light version, like one for Sara Light, or the Desert version of Sara Light. Also a version just going after the North and / or South would be interesting as well.

As new islands are made for ArmA, I hope to see imports of this mission to them. Everytime I play it, it is a different mission.

one of my post before was about AI navy

i would like to see AI naval port in Isla del Vassal with some helicopter base ...

patrol boats (pairs) then ping pong from IdV to Corazol , alow with air patrols ...

there should be some shilkas and SAMs in both IdV islands and on lighthouse island near mercandilo ...

these AI patrols add some "danger and immersion" while trying fly from AF to North Sahrani

also destruction of naval base can be some nifty teamwork mission ...

one of my post before was about AI navy

i would like to see AI naval port in Isla del Vassal with some helicopter base ...

patrol boats (pairs) then ping pong from IdV to Corazol , alow with air patrols ...

there should be some shilkas and SAMs in both IdV islands and on lighthouse island near mercandilo ...

these AI patrols add some "danger and immersion" while trying fly from AF to North Sahrani

also destruction of naval base can be some nifty teamwork mission ...

hum... that would need addons for sure..

Original version should remain without addons, so it can work for all community.

well for shilkas and boats u don't need addons also Mando missiles usable for SAM and other missile tricks are all done via scripts ...

no addons needed ...

oh, that said.. ok  biggrin_o.gif

But im afraid KilJoy will have to be carfull about the amont of unit he put in the mission, else it will lag beaucoup!

I really find usefull the option he put for the VD (view distance) and the texture options.

But if he add alot more units to the mission ARMA will not make miracles (yet till they fully optimize it)  tounge2.gif

BE WIZZEeee thumbs-up.gif

oh, that said.. ok  biggrin_o.gif

But im afraid KilJoy will have to be carfull about the amont of unit he put in the mission, else it will lag beaucoup!

I really find usefull the option he put for the VD (view distance) and the texture options.

But if he add alot more units to the mission ARMA will not make miracles (yet till they fully optimize it)  tounge2.gif

BE WIZZEeee   thumbs-up.gif

Yeah he will be able to add anything when the 1.07 patch comes out lol  tounge2.gif

And that moving weather system you have is AWESOME!!! yay.gif

I may add mh6 respawn as a parram as a few are requesting it.

Catch22 good points about spamming squads i will look into that.

About transport, here is the basic mechanics. The reward script is triggerd when units bord the chopper at BASE only. if somone boards your chopper out of base if disables the script. Its to prevent farming. It would be nice to reward players for transporting from one town to another, But hard to prevent abuse. Also you only get the points if you are sitting in the driver/pilot seat the moment they get out. To reactivate the transport points just fly to base and land and pick up some passengers and fly more then 500m and drop them off.

rekster im glad to hear that about performance i have not been playing on a server with more then 4 on version 1.4a yet. but it seem great with that number. The only problem i have right now with making a north soutn and intro island version is that i am still working thro some bugs and adding fetures, and if there were 4 versions i would have to keep updating 4 versions all the time as i find and correct bugs/add fetures, I have been down that road before. and its 4 times as much work. its alredddy bad enough i have to change 4 sub missions at a time when i find a better way of doing somthing. Eventually there will be alternate versions.

Dwarden I will do somthing with the outer islands , one idea i was thinking of was a grand finaly face of with the dictator and a big army. once all towns are cpatured you have to beachhead one of the islands. More boat patrols around these places would be good, its just annoying how they have green radar icons as ther eis no armed enemy boat. In the submission the brief reads "the enemy has stolen some of our boats" to try to explain this. Im not fond of the idea forcing people to download content to play servers or missions. Maybe a little later in armas life I will be interested in addons.

rowdied not sure how I feel about revive. kind of forces a lot of responsibility on the medics like squad leader spawning does for leaders. by this I mean they have to stay out of the line of fire so people can come back there. And any let up in the cost of death cheepens the experience as a whole for me.what does anyone else think?