Sign in to follow this  
KaRRiLLioN

RTS-4 ArmA Released

Just as a note... I played on your server today... And guess what happened? Teams got severely uneven (15-23), no one would even them out. The East captured several key bases on the north island, yet almost half of our team were on the south island screwing around, while the East started sending choppers and tanks to our base.

Something has to be done to RTS to keep lone wolves from ruining the game, and to make sure battles are concentrated.

Seriously, if RTS is just going to be a bunch of lone wolves running around, with very few tactics and a bunch of helos camping bases way before they capture 1/2 the flags... Then there is no way i'm going to continue playing it.

Then you should quit playing PvP ArmA altogether.  As a mission-maker, I've tried many ways to encourage teamwork.  But that's all you can do is to encourage it.  If you try to force it, then you might as well not have human players and just put AI in.  AI will do what you make them do, no matter what.

As for uneven teams--there's not much to be done about that in a PvP either.  I've looked at ways to script in even teams, but it doesn't work well.  At least in coops you don't have to worry about that.

If you want even teams and teamwork, then you might need either your own private server with only people you invite, or you can host smaller games on your PC. Then you can control who plays and the teams.

It's not my job to enforce teamwork.  I created a mission with a framework to follow.  You're always going to have Rambos out there, no matter which mission it is.  You're always going to have griefers.  There's only so much a mission maker can do.  A server with a strong admin presence to police the players is going to do a lot more than anything I can script in without ruining the gameplay.

So i guess you've never played WWIIOL

WWIIOL is based during WW2!

ArmA has choppers, laser guided bombs, heat seeking missiles, and fast armored tanks.

The setting ArmA is based in shrinks the battlefield and allows for "Rambos".

WWIIOL did nothing to "enforce" teamwork, and when they added the mobile spawn point on the trucks, they dropped the need for teamwork even further.

As far as RTS goes, get on karr's teamspeak when playing or join a teamspeak with your friends and work as a team like that. Expecting random "Joe's" that you meet in a server to work as one is more than likely not going to happen.

I think the good thing about rts is that even if you get rambos the few guys that know what they are doing can easily win a map, if there a load of lone wolves running about so be it - as long as they report back enemy positions occsionally then its fine. think of them as scouts. Theres been a few times i've switched sides to the losing side and helped bring them back form the brink when a team is full of rambos.

Was anybody on the server when there was THE BATTLE FOR ALCAZAR the other night a massive tank battle the flag swaped about 8 or 9 times over an hour was great fun. The tanks had trouble taking the position as it was up hill and defended by hordes of at troops. At inf can be lethal if used correctly.

I think the good thing about rts is that even if you get rambos the few guys that know what they are doing can easily win a map, if there a load of lone wolves running about so be it - as long as they report back enemy positions occsionally then its fine. think of them as scouts. Theres been a few times i've switched sides to the losing side and helped bring them back form the brink when a team is full of rambos.

Was anybody on the server when there was THE BATTLE FOR ALCAZAR the other night a massive tank battle the flag swaped about 8 or 9 times over an hour was great fun. The tanks had trouble taking the position as it was up hill and defended by hordes of at troops. At inf can be lethal if used correctly.

Yes... I was there, what a great battle.

I was sitting on the hill in the castle tower watching it all and commanding my tanks and infantry at the same time. That was a great fight.

Those are the kind of matches I don't mind losing at all. I'll say "great game" and we'll go again.

Very fun.

I usually ask the teams before I join, who needs help, then I join that team.

Guys like you Colligpip make playing online much more enjoyable. Nothing kills me more than people that spam the winning side of the team, or switch mid-game b.c they can't fly the best vehicles.

I played RTS4 for the first time last night, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. +50 players at one point wow_o.gif

It was a bit to learn to begin with, as I lost my ride @ the first town I captured (repair truck), but I learned my lesson, LOL.

I can control 30 AIs?  daaaam!  I was busy enough with 13!   pistols.gif

I am impressed at the versatility of this game engine, thanks to scripters like Karrillion, Zaphod, Kiljoy, and others!

question:

Is the Karrillion server about the only server presently able to run the RTS4 mission? Effectively?

I am guessing that it just about is.

No Karr's is not the only server capable of running it, there are plenty, any which can run Evo under full load should be able to run RTS perfectly fine. But the problem is everyone plays Evo on their servers :S

hehehe...could you more thoroughly describe "Evo @ full load" ?

are you saying 30 players each with 5 AIs running around, and you 'pop off' a city so that its at full spawn

potential?

then that would be a big fat NO for our server!

tounge2.gif

I can see it now...." your request for a support ticket has been denied, due to the fact that our server caught on fire.... rofl.gif

Well that was just an example, there are servers which *can* run Evo under full load, and afaik RTS requires much less server resources compared to Evo. I've heard that some server hosting companies have banned Evo because of its resource hogging, cant verify that claim though.

But hey, why not try it for yourself mate? smile_o.gif See how far you can get till the server slows down, but im pretty sure Karr's server is not *the* best out there (no offence just an observation xmas_o.gif )

Can something at least be done about helicopters that hover 2k away and fire hellfires at the enemy's base? Even our AI won't target or hit the helicopter from that distance. And even when I have my visibility set to 3k, i can't see them.

Turn up your Object detail to have objects drawn further away....

And you should spread out some shilkas/vulcans around your base instead of concentrating them within 100/200m.

Yeah but im saying that you should have defended it in the first place :P Get some AA soldiers and send them around.. they cant be lockedonto...

As far as air defense is concerned, I have yet to see anyone using the aircrafts loaded with air-to-air missiles. Making them cheaper could help increase their usage.

The biggest problem still seems to be the unbalanced placement of territories. The North-South version is most of the time won by the team starting in the north as it has better access to resources. The same can be said about the South version where the desert part is flat and more accessible, offering higher levels of defendable resources.

Ive just looked at the new mando missiles this really would be good in rts4 please.

It would take away all power of the air and make the game much more tactical.

Ive just looked at the new mando missiles this really would be good in rts4 please.

It would take away all power of the air and make the game much more tactical.

Karrillion already answered this in his first post in this thread. To quote him--

"I haven't added Mando Missiles 2.2 yet, because I'm still figuring out the best way to implement them."

If you haven't read his first post in this thread in its entirety then you should do so now.

North-South map-- I agree that its difficult being South on this map, especially when there are those who take out the Dolores bridges intentionally at the very start of the map. South is winnable if there are enough dedicated/experienced players who manage to secure S Corazol or who take advantage of the North overextension to smash the rear lines.... and I've seen chaos erupt in the north when an industrious South player drives a tank manually onto a mountain in the North and turns the area near the Vehicle/Aircraft spawn into a mass of flaming wrecks.

It would take away all power of the air

Certainly, if you use accurate and long range missiles for SAMs, air power would be nullified. But you may also configure your missiles with low accuracy or low maneouvrability and, of course, you may provide chaff/flares for the air units too. I understand that what you are looking for is an equilibrium, not just to make the air power totally useless.

Karrillion already answered this in his first post in this thread. To quote him--

"I haven't added Mando Missiles 2.2 yet, because I'm still figuring out the best way to implement them."

If you haven't read his first post in this thread in its entirety then you should do so now.

o yes sir i have read the whole post its just i am an annoying impatient man who would love mando missiles in this mission

so i mentioned it again I might ask again later on as well if thats ok.

I would love to be able to put it in myself and have it uploaded to karrilions server but somehow i dont think that will happed so theres no harm in trying again is there- if thats ok with you

Well im sure Karr would like to improve his own material wink_o.gif

But the 'untold laws of mission making' usually mean you can try out what you like + play it privately without releasing it or anything, im sure u could experiment and try and find a good balance.. then maybe u could tell Karr how u got on and you could find the balance... as like Karr + Mandoble have said, it needs to be balanced and the flexibility of the scripts mean it should be attainable!

Yes, every new addition can bring some unbalancing force into the game. MM will definitely need to be balanced.

MM would really counter the helicopter suicide attacks that are now rampant in this mission.

Was playing last night and people where forming up for mass waves of attacks using this method. I know its a war and anything goes but theres not much to counter this devastating tactic. The AA ingame arnt good enough for the mass wave attacks.

I amazing how inovative people are becoming to win in these missions.

anybody on last night when one side won really quickly with a certain AA soldier in the right place it was quite humiliating to be on the wrong side.

Cant join RTS 4, it says something like this"you can not join or edit this mission because of download content....CAA10.

Help me please......

Are you updated to version 1.08? For some reason it's indicating you don't have the A10 which shipped with the US version 1.06 and was patched into the Euro version with 1.08.