Sign in to follow this  
kronzky

Wiki Wish List vs. BTS

Since right now we have two places to file requests (the Wiki List as well as the "Feature" group in the BTS), we should probably close one of them.

I would assume that to be the Wiki list.

The question is though, should we import all the entries from there, or just leave it the way it is, lock the page, and give links & instructions for the BTS?

I definitely agree that BTS is the right place for feature-requests (but then you already know that  wink_o.gif ) as long as they are clearly marked with the 'feature' severity.

My suggestion, would be to import the wiki wish list to BTS.  This reinforces the idea that players should visit BTS to register a vote for features they care about and helps give BIS a better idea of what their customer base want.

I would also suggest that an announcement (even sticky thread?) in Arma-General might help promote the idea that BTS is the place that the devs look at for feature ideas. An official 'policy' on this from the forum moderators would also help maintain this. Ie, people should be actively reminded that they can complain/suggest all they want in the forums but if they want to really change something the way to make it happen is by raising a BTS entry and getting people to vote for it.

Of course, I'm inferring a lot from Suma's statement that he would be using the vote system to help prioritise issues so maybe for this to become policy it needs some discussion between BIS and the moderators ?

Well of course you do not just get rid of the Biki Wishlist, many people made valid wishes there and would you throw all away? I am sure you find some other way to do it like import it into bug tracking system if you wish to do something about it. If the wishes are to be made in the BTS then all the wishes must be there, there is great danger that the wishes in the Biki would be forgotten otherwise.

well in past when BTS was undecided i was thinking mainly about mantis

yet there was also FlySpray

http://bugs.flyspray.org/

what i like is that "little progressbar" smile_o.gif

now if similar feature is adopted e.g. for wishlist within BTS (or standalone wishlist la BTS) ...

then such progress bar can be transformed to popularity bar (voting or similar) ...

anyway i think it's definitely nice visual improvement

for both BTS (not just progress bar but also most wanted fix

and WishList especially as it highlight most wanted feature

btw this were just my two cents smile_o.gif

p.s. as someone who entered lot of WIKI wishes i definitely stand behind importing / re-using most of them ...

p.p.s what about whole new Category ArmA - Wishlist (with subcats equal to ArmA - BBTS ?

p.p.s what about whole new Category ArmA - Wishlist (with subcats equal to ArmA - BBTS ?

You mean like this?

Bts-wishlist.gif

yes ... that fits

may i ask what's outcome ?

We gunna keep WIKI wishlist or move to BTS based feature requests

in that case any progress on imports from WIKI to BTS FR ?

or run them concurently while importing WIKI addtions to BTS feature requests ?

I'll try to adapt my ruby-importscript to the wishlist.

It should be fairly easy to extract the list since it's just an list with items separated by "*".

But:

1. i will import it in a separate project

2. Since i have not a holy-"Shell access" to the bugs.armed-assault.net-Server, i'll  generate an sql-import, whithout username-accounts. The only things, which are converted will be:

* the text (obvious)

* the category

This is no great loss, 'cause most of the time, the username lacks anyway.

Some good soul can then move the relevant issues to the "Armed Assault Features"-project. This is not too hard, because you can batch-move a bunch of issues.

Bye..

Hmm well the usernames are there too (at end of wishlist most entries) ...

so in "theory" that should be also easy to use for sql import

anyway thanks for all the work boecko (i know it sometimes can be hard on nerves smile_o.gif

if i get time i will take look on the moves

Why not include a community wishlist, with wishes the community can complete /add (like weapons etc) and just wish engine specific wishes on the bts?

I read the whole wishlist and some wishes could easily be made by the community, when they get the tools smile_o.gif

Thats my wish! wink_o.gif

Why not include a community wishlist, with wishes the community can complete /add (like weapons etc) and just wish engine specific wishes on the bts?

I read the whole wishlist and some wishes could easily be made by the community, when they get the tools smile_o.gif

Thats my wish! wink_o.gif

a good one wink_o.gif

well ...

but by that logic You can say "community would program whole new engine"

in OSS style and don't bother with ArmA at all right? smile_o.gif

i know bit overstated irony

yet most of wishlist ideas are in hope it will be "default" part of game w/o need dl xyz ...

Aim is basically to avoid 1000 times expressing the same wishes, rather adding/commenting issues/wishes/feature requests at a specific place in a controlled way. For some features I would even like to trigger the creation of real design documents with focus on player needs so that development of BI can use this as an input for functionality evaluation and UI design.

I read in 100 places almost identical suggestion, mainly high level and always addressing just small chunks of a very complex issue.

Like with the inventory management I want to generate with the help of the community a design paper which should be agreed when it reached a certain quality.

If it is then used by BI to make paper birds is a risk we have to take, but this paper is then ready to use for ANY company since the demands do not change dramatically.