Sign in to follow this  
sanctuary

GRAA Modpack 3.0

Now the alternative side step animation is commanded by

#define ENABLE_SANC_NORG

or

//#define ENABLE_SANC_NORG

But it is not just modifying the alternative running side step, it is changing globally the "run with gun pointing down" to "run with gun pointing to the target".

To just change the side step running animation , you just need to find the files

sbeh-90l.rtm

sbeh90l.rtm

from inside an Anim.pbo that has the side running animation you prefer , and put those 2 files in the sanc_animcr.pbo (located in the \@GRAA\Addons folder), overwriting the ones of the same name that are already there.

Quote[/b] ]Now the alternative side step animation is commanded by

#define ENABLE_SANC_NORG

or

//#define ENABLE_SANC_NORG

But it is not just modifying the alternative running side step, it is changing globally the "run with gun pointing down" to "run with gun pointing to the target".

To just change the side step running animation , you just need to find the files

sbeh-90l.rtm

sbeh90l.rtm

from inside an Anim.pbo that has the side running animation you prefer , and put those 2 files in the sanc_animcr.pbo (located in the \@GRAA\Addons folder), overwriting the ones of the same name that are already there.

Thanks Sanc, the solution you recommended above is bit time-consuming. Swaping the latest Anim.pbo with the one from GRAA2.0 works good. Classic bis strafing, when walking slowly you get tactical walk. Cheers

Quote[/b] ]Edited by Sanctuary on May 20 2007,01:38

Sanc..I was looking to see what this edit of your first posting was about, but I didn't see anything. Must have been something minor I guess?

Just added the ofpec mirror to the 1st post.

If i make an update, there will be a message in reply to this thread first so people can notice.

Hey Sanctuary!

Your pack it's just great, but I have a one objective... I saw a Russian Spetznaz in night equpiment (with helmet), and he's don't have a Llauma head model! It's a standard BIS head model.

It's a bug?

Sorry for my english. :P

I just checked, both of the night version of the spetsnaz :

If you use HYK OPFOR option

clipboard01ui6.jpg

IF you use RHS GRU option

clipboard02fh8.jpg

All of them are featuring the Llauma head model, not the BIS head.

In the GRAA modpack every BIS face textures have been replaced by the format mapped for Llauma head (according to the option you use, it can be faces from facetex2 or reworked by Hyakushiki BIS face conversion).

If one of the head on the models was the default BIS head, the face texture would be messed up as the format is totally different.

-every units, military or civilian are using the Llauma new head model, and so every face textures are replaced by new face textures or BIS reworked face textures to avoid the need of having the face scripts running and lowering performance, basically you have the good head without any performance hit or bad face in vehicle.

First of all, you're one the people who made OFP the extraordinary experience it is. I've been around this forums since the begining and I was always impressed by the way you support your work and the approach you have to mods making - I think it is in tune with the Flashpoint approach itself.

About this piece of work. Well it is simply brilliant, I will never play OFP without it again. That being said, for me the only drawback is I can no longer use LASER's Ranger and Delta units - to me the only units really needed besides the HYK ones. You have already stated that whatever unit uses the BIS head will not work, so I'm not asking for a solution.

What I would like you to do is to elaborate a little about what I've quoted, just out of curiosity, because I never get why the units with Llauma head causes a performance hit. I guess I missed the whole concept of the new head completely. So can you explain what you did and why? Besides, if I use some addon that features Llauma's heads, will they still cause the performance hit or your mod eliminates it?

Thanks in advance.

Originally, the way i implemented the new head model was to support possible addon makers wanting to make units with Llauma's head , so they would not be forced to use the heavy on performance needed scripts :

Addon using this new head (recent Laser, recent RHS, GROM, recent tonal etc...) were forced to use scripting solutions to allocate face textures randomly to units.

The primary problem was the fact the face texture needed for the new head model used a very different format :

bis face format

facer01brg0.jpg

llauma face format

facer01iy6.jpg

So the BIS built-in code for face texture allocating could not be used.

Unfortunately, this scripting solution put a huge impact on the game performance when you had lots of units using the new head, forcing you to use less units if you want to conserve the game performance in optimal state.

Another problem of this scripting solution is the fact in some condition (mostly embarking/spawning/disembarking in a vehicle or saving/loading) can easily break this script and give very bad facial texture or "pulsating ones" to such units.

As the new head model was way superior to the BIS default one

bis head model

ttttej0.jpg

Llauma head model

ggggpt6.jpg

And the presence of several LODs were enough to not impact the perfomance, i wanted to find a solution so those 2 big annoyances would be solved.

As the script solution was a workaround, it would -always- be heavier on ressource in comparison to the BIS built-in code, so i decided to find a way to use BIS built-in code.

The only possiblity then was to replace every BIS face textures by ones using the new head model format by changing the paths in the main config.

This way no scripts needed for the face textures to be applied on head models , the game would do this itself without any hit on performance and without any additional bug in certain condition.

And so if you made an units using the new head model, you would not be forced to use the script solution, you could just drop it in the GRAA mod addon folder, and faces would be allocated automatically by the BIS built-in code without any bug.

Only problem then would be if an addon using the default BIS head was used, the mod would allocate it a texture using the new format.

And while there would be no crash or no bug, the visual result would be the unit with BIS head having a messed up face due to the format being different.

That is why you can use BIS headed units, but they will be allocated a face texture not corresponding to their format, messing up the face ingame.

But as OFP is not really popular anymore and so addon makers will not make any new units with Llauma head model anymore as ArmA has been released since that, when the GRAA 4.0 will be released, the Llauma head (and so its face format) will be removed and old blocky BIS head will be back for all the mod units, along some other ideas i would like to implement.

Personaly I prefer "old blocky" to Llauma!

One reason is Llauma faces make the characters look like dumb rednecks and anouther is you can use custom faces with BIS heads.

Not that Llaumas heads arn't very nice looking and high quality otherwise, but I don't notice the difference unless staring real close!

and anouther is you can use custom faces with BIS heads.

Because the faces and heads are implemented in the graa modpack using the BIs built-in code instead of scripting workarounds, you can use custom faces with Llauma head for the units of this mod as easily as you could with BIs heads.

Just make sure your custom face is using the new texture format and you are setup.

facenh0.jpg

clipboard02ns7.jpg

Lol, I know, but I've already converted it to Llauma 1 for Jungle Fever and its all one big pain in the arse :P

Thanks for the answer Sanctuary. I'm enjoying GRAA very much. You have your plans but I'm happy with the new heads, and would feel sorry if the next version were different. I don't like too much the clean look of pure llauma heads, but the portated BIS' ones are great.

Actually, after thinking about it a bit more seriously, the new head model will stay in the future graa version.

Too much work to change again the head models and revert back to the blocky old one, considering the few time i am willing to spend on this, i prefer to devote this time working on other features.

To use addons with BIS head without having strange faces, there is always the light version of the graa modpack.

I'd be using this if I could get it to work with SLX. Love them both. GRAA ran great on a 3 gig CPU with a gig of ram; but not SLX. Got SLX to work after adding another gig, for two. Since my favorite is SLX, I need to figure out how to isolate and extract these GRAA units and weapons textures files (not the sky or faces, just to keep it simple) so they could be popped right into any OFP install as a textures replacement, as opposed to a seperate @mod folder. Any ideas?

To have the replacement available for every mod, you would need to extract every models (p3d) from the graa pbo (weapons and units), then rename them to their correct BIS counterpart (to find the correct names, use an unmodified BIS config and make comparisons) and place those renamed models in the Data3D.pbo (and if my memory is correct in the O.pbo and some more of the original BIS pbo that contains some more models that came with Resistance or with some of the OFP patches).

A bit like a sky pack, but that would do a lot more replacement in the Data3D.pbo and the Data.pbo

For the textures, you could just put the graa pbo in the addons folder , as the models are calling their textures from those files, or modify the texture path of each of the models to point in the Data.pbo so you can just put all the weapons/units textures inside of it.

For the faces, you will need to replace each BIS men faces located in the Data.pbo and the O.pbo by the ones coming from the graa , as the heads are needing those faces format.

As you can imagine already, you would need a very lot of time and lot of trial&errors to accomplish this.

But if it is primarly to play with SLX, trying to edit the SLX main config to change the weapon and units models to use the graa ones should be a bit easier and you would not need to edit some models, pbo or change textures but either way, you would need lot of time.

Excellent. Thanks for your reply Sanctuary, that's exactly the answer I was looking for.

So I'd want to rebuild the Data3D.pbo and the O.pbo, and possibly the Data.pbo files.

Off hand, would you know where I'd find the respective files containing vehicles and helos files for a similar redo?

I have time; not sure I have the required patience and tenacity; but I'll take a look at it and maybe I'll get it worked out someday.

Usually, Data3D.pbo contains the models and Data.pbo contains the textures.

But some of the BIS pbo contains additional models and textures (the apache by example is contained in the Apac.pbo).

With Resistance, it is primarly the O.pbo that contains models and their textures that came with Resistance (the additional civilians, women, some guns).

again, some of the BIS pbo that came with Resistance contains other models and their textures (by example KOLO.pbo that contains the BIS moto).

So you are basically up to unpbo every of the default BIS pbo as each one may contain something you want to replace if you don't want to have to use a modified config.

I remember there was someone that created a replacement mod like this : by replacing every models in the Data3D.pbo and the textures in the Data.pbo instead of using a config modification.

But unfortunately i have no idea who was this user or where to find this modification ... if it had been released.

Maybe a search on this forum.

edit : found the thread.

Quote[/b] ]Because the faces and heads are implemented in the graa modpack using the BIs built-in code instead of scripting workarounds, you can use custom faces with Llauma head for the units of this mod as easily as you could with BIs heads.

Just make sure your custom face is using the new texture format and you are setup.

I've noticed when trying to change faces on my character profile on the main screen a lot of faces...Llauma, HYK and others are turned sideways on the head. That's kinda the same thing you're talking here?

In the ingame menu when i want to change the faces in my profile i see no bug.

And when i use custom faces, as shown in the screenshots some posts earlier, i have no problem there too.

So i don't see what is the problem for you. Or are you talking about another mod ?

I just tried this and it's great! plus with ECP it rocks!!!

I want to ask if it's possible to create something between with and without the radiovoices, to speed up the AI to make silent only what's not relevant to the player. To make all orders to the AI silent but you can hear enemy positions and your orders. Can this be done?

A possible solution in that case, but i never tested, would be to modify the voice files in Voice.pbo located in the original Dta\ folder, not in the res\Dta\ and the VoiceRH.pbo from red hammer located in the original Addons\ folder.

Making empty files (simple blank text file renamed in thevoicetoreplace.vss ) for the radio voices you don't want to hear and letting the important radio voice like they are, should do the trick.

But that's just theory, no idea if it would work.

Another setting is the pitch of the voices you can set in the profile menu, very high pitch will play the voice file a lot faster, and so will have the AI obeying faster (and for AI with high pitch voice, they will react faster).

Not as fast as without the radio voice, and will sound funny with all those high pitched voices, but always better than the unresponsive AI from default OFP.

The first option seems better. Thanks for the help!

By the way, really cool playing with the external view that you fixed! wink_o.gif

EDIT:

Butt... it won't work sad_o.gif I just opened the "Voice.pbo" file, and the sounds are divided in words so they get mixed in the moment. So that way's a no go...