Sign in to follow this  
sfmadmax

Game halts for 2/3 seconds when I access Gear

Hello All,

Im playing ARM on a AMD 3600+ 64 SLI 7900 GS 2GB ram,

I've played the demo fine in the past, I bought the game from sproket... Now after loading it I started to play.. THe game runs great except when I escape into the main menu, it takes about 3 to 4 seconds to get the mouse cursor to pop up... ALso when in game combat.. and accessing another individuals gear or a crate full of gear the game halts for about 2 seconds, then i get my mouse cursor.. Has anyone been experiencing this? I have 1.05...

I've been looking all over the forums for a similar problem.. It just drives me nuts.. When trying to rummage through someones body the game halts for a few then I get my mouse cursor, then after I equip my guy.. I hit Done, and the game halts for another 2 seconds then Im back to the gameplay..

-Sean

yup i get the annoying pause when accessing Gear too. EVERY time.

Also does anyone else get the even MORE annoying long pause when you land your parachute? After i land sometimes I get stuck for what seems like a whole minute or 2, can't move or anything - and of course if im paradropping in a hotzone I land....then im stuck standing and get shot because i can't move at all banghead.gif

actually i thought the pause for Gear was normal. I'm guessing its not?

anyone care to shed some light on this?

in MP or SP ?

in multiplayer it takes some time before it load item inventory list from server (more stuff = longer) ...

if it happen in SP or even with single item drops then something is wrong (tried defrag etc ? ) ...

It never occured in the DEMO,, thats the crazy part.. So I feel a bit better that other people are experiencing this too.. Its rather annoying.. everytime im in a combat situation and hit the map quickly.. its takes about 3 seconds to get the mouse cursor back on the map.. then if I hit ESC to go back to the game.. thats a 3 second pause.. to get control of my guy again.. by that time im usually dead.. sad_o.gif

I tried re-installing nvidia drivers, different drivers, changing profiles.. playing around with memsize... Im still at a loss..

This occurs both in MP and SP...

Can't be the hard drive, its not my HW... I just loaded the DEMO and tried it.. and it doesnt do it... So thats how I came to the conclusion that is the full game.. I even tried going into the map editor and adding myself and a small crate with guns in it.. same pause...

Rather annoying... I hope this is fixed or someone knows a workaround.. at least for 1.06

I have the following

ALienware M9700 Notebook

Amd Turion ML-44

2 GB ram

2 x Geforce 7900 GS SLI

The Demo was great.. Ran like a dream... I bought my copy on Sprocket..

I got the same problem awhile ago when i uninstalled Nvidia Ntune the problem was gone.

Nvidia Ntune?? Hmm.. I'll have to check if I even have that.. im not sure if I do... I might have it.. .I thought the problem revolved around my video software... banghead.gif

i can´t promise you this will help but for me the problem with the 2-3 sec. pause seemed to occur after i installed Ntune after deinstall the problem was gone. Let me know if it helps.

WOW.. I'll be dammed.. I went into NVIDIA UNINSTALL under add/remove programs .... and uninstalled the NVIDIA PCI MEM MGMT CONTROLLER.. and that fixed it... wacky.. im at work now.. I just booted up windows and tried uninstalling it.. Mabye I can find a Updated Driver for that mgmt controller.. after all I did install the latest NVIDIA GO drivers from guru3d.com modified NVIDIA drivers..

so ill test it more later on @ home,, however PROBLEM IS GONE! thanks,

Now I can enjoy flawless ARMA :P

-Sean

One thing that's apparent to me - the map is MUCH faster to load in the full version than in the demo (almost instant).

I may have experienced a slight delay in checking gear online but I haven't noticed it.

The thing that gets me is when you go to a crate, and if you're not in the exact right position, you go to re-arm, get a red cross icon and then the gear inventory menu is empty. Now, when I re-arm at a crate, I make sure that I see the word 'gear' in my actions list before trying to rearm because it drives me nuts to waste time looking at an empty inventory menu because I'm 2cm away from really "looking" inside the crate.

I also have this problem from when uk demo/retail was out and forced me to uninstall it, I wait for 1.05 and now US demo and still have this problem

So is this Ntunes or something else? I'm checking programs to uninstall now

So, what's the workaround sfmadmax?

I also have the same problem on my Acer 9815 laptop with nVidia 7600 GS/256. Gear, Options, and mainly the map halt make me want to throw the pc out of the window..

Please any info appreciated.

I would like to know too, everything else ingame works smoothly just that gear and menu

I have the Geforce 7800 GS OC and I can't find either, Ntunes or NVIDIA "PCI MEM MGMT CONTROLLER" anywhere on my system.  Does it come with the forceware drivers?

i'm also experiencing anywhere from 2 to 30 secs freezes.

try disabling V-sync in the Nvidia control panel, that should help both for map and gear and also improve the general framerates.

try disabling V-sync in the Nvidia control panel, that should help both for map and gear and also improve the general framerates.

I tried what you suggested and it still does the same thing. Its funny that Nvidia is a sponsor of ArmA, yet its seems the problem is with Nvidia cards.

Mine was doing this too but only with my logitech g15 keyboard and g5 mouse not with cheaper ps/2 equipment. after a bit of searching I ended up having to upgrade the drivers for my motherboad and it solved the problem. mobo is a Asus P5N SLi

I have the same problem on my Acer 9815 laptop when using my Logitek G11 USB keyboard. All my drivers are up to date and ArmA is the only piece of software I have tested that has problems (I believe that it has to do with the TrackIR support built into ArmA or something).

Anyway the workaround for me is to unplug and replug the USB devices while in game. Then everything works fine.

I thought it was normal, its not really an issue tbh?

Well, I doubt you have the problem if its not bothering you, as I have the issue here and its driving me nuts..

I had a mate buy the game at the same time as I did, when the German version first hit the shelves, and it did this to him from the get go. It drove him nuts and he ended up binning the game after trying everything he could to fix it.

So, two weeks ago I build a new PC for myself. Installed the game fresh and started enjoying it with no issues. Then 2 nights ago, all of a sudden it started doing this pause thing to me. It happens any time I go to the map, gear, even the menu that comes up when you press escape.

I have changed nothing on the PC, no drivers, no software or hardware. So why oh why did this just start happening??? I am sick of getting lost or killed because of it.

I was seriously hoping to find some solid answers about this one, as I know I'm not the first to encounter it. Please BI, please address this issue. I have taken on board all the suggestions in this thread, but seriously, if it was a hardware issue or conflict, why did it just start happening all of a sudden??

Thanks in advance,

Medi.

Medicare - if you've got nvidia gfx card, you might check your nvidia control panel again. I tweaked my control panel - disabled vsync, set AA and AF to application controlled- about a month ago, and it definitely improved performance.

Out of the blue, I started having graphics problems. It turns out that the global settings in control panel had all been changed-- Vsync was "enabled" and AA and AF were no longer "application controlled." Needless to say, I didn't change them; somehow nvidia decided to reset itself.

Anyway, have a look at your control panel. Hopefully its something easy like this.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Drifter, no go on the Nvidia tip.

Dave, I'm sure that would do the trick.. but for how long? another week or so?

I have had a win of sorts.. By using Msconfig I disabled any non essential processes from starting up on boot. This definitely solved the pausing problem. Now all I have to do is spend a bit of time disabling them one at a time to find out which of them is causing the issue.

I will post back here when I do, as I am sure there are others who suffer from this problem. This is such a great game when its working smoothly.

Cheers,

Medi.

maybe this problem of halts only came with 1.07 beta. I didn't had before also, and now i have.

maybe this problem of halts only came with 1.07 beta. I didn't had before also, and now i have.

No i had this problem with v1.01 after i installed "NVIDIA Ntune". When i removed Ntune the problem was gone so i think it has to do with other tools installed on your PC´s. For sfmadmax the problem was solved by removing the "NVIDIA PCI MEM MGMT CONTROLLER".

Also i noticed this game halts are only discovered by NVIDIA users so in my opinion it has to do with NVIDIA related software or drivers.

Thats only a thought by reading all the comments on this problem.

So maybe you try to deinstall everything related with NVIDIA and begin by only installing the "needed drivers" for your hardware and test ArmA. Then do a step by step install with other NVIDIA software or drivers you think you need but after every install test ArmA for the halts.

greets