Sign in to follow this  
Dynamax

MP5 SD6 not to scale?

does anyone else besides my self think that the current MP5 SD6 model seems a little small?

i think it look quite a bit smaller then it should. i have held a real MP6 SD6 in my hands and i know its not that small, and i know that this version of the MP5 is in fact slightly longer then a G36C.

the MP5 SD6 is 756mm in length with the retractable stock fully extened, and 603mm with it retracted. unless the soldiers in ArmA are all just "really tall",i think someone must of made a mistake when checking the scale.

this really bothers me, and i hope they get this sorted out, the scale of the MP5's used in OFP was correct.

current MP5 size

8323522880.jpg

what it should be

8323522879.jpg

as you can see the current MP5 is around 10-12% smaller then it should be. hope this gets fixed.

I don't really see the difference in your pics because you haven't changed the size at all (only lengthened them somehow), but I think that if what you say is true that your post is a valid source of food for thought.

edit: The way the soldier's hands are set up, it couldn't hurt to ad a little length to the receiver at any rate. I'm always afraid that that guy is going to burn his hands!

I own a MP5SD6 and I just had a look .... it says 750 mm.

So .. you are right smile_o.gif I had the feeling too that the gun was smaller than in my mind. confused_o.gif

Intresting, I always thought they where quite small guns ... shame I don't have one just lying around like the last poster tounge2.gif

The length isn't all that bad but the real thing looks thicker and bulkier than the skinny Mp5 we get in game. Even the Mp5 in the picture you posted has more presence in hand and looks a lot heavier than the SD model we get in game.

Who is the bod in the DPM wetsuit!? I want one! (the wetsuit

I mean) inlove.gif

Oh, yeah, the MP5s in ArmA are not bulky enough (and are totally recoil-less)

Who is the bod in the DPM wetsuit!? I want one! (the wetsuit

I mean) inlove.gif

That's a Finnish combat-diver. Haven't seen any other combat-divers with a DPM wetsuit. wow_o.gif

That's a Finnish combat-diver. Haven't seen any other combat-divers with a DPM wetsuit.  wow_o.gif

A quick search reveals that one can actually get a very

similar DPM semi-dry suit made to measure in the UK! I'd get

one, except that I think I'd look like a nobber, so maybe I'll

just stick to my current "ninja black". wink_o.gif

I'm not too amazed that BIS got the MP5 proportions a bit

wrong. Unless you have access to actual examples, or proper

drawings, it's often hard to find plan views of guns. And

published specifications don't tend to include "width" very

often. Not that that excuses them in any way, of course!

Anyway .. the point is that it has to be changed. When I ran around in OFP with my MP5SD6 I felt like a god .... now in ArmA I feel like a wanna-be, gay actor.

mp5sd6.jpg

(give us our sexy baby back)

Guest RKSL-Rock
SOBR[1st-I-R] @ Mar. 26 2007,10:04)]I own a MP5SD6 and I just had a look .... it says 750 mm.

That’s interesting, I assume you own an airsoft one as (as I understand it) the SD6 is not for sale in the US for anything but Law Enforcement or Military use under the '89 amendment to the 1968 Gun Control Act (18 USC 925d3).

But I have to agree it does seem rather smaller, but quite a few model are out of proportion:

- Harrier is mis-proportioned

- Land Rovers (Army 4x4) are over size

- T72 is (I seem to remember reading a post about it) too small

There are quite a few things that people seem to think are mis-scaled.  I doubt BIS will fix it but I'm sure the community addon packs will correct it.

it is very good that you care about guns dimensions in game smile_o.gif

in my ARMA addons now i keep proportions smile_o.gif

in OFP i haven't been care about it

but until oficial tools released - all is a matter of discussion

in my opinion armored vehicles are too small, much too small

i saw BMP in real life, i was inside BMP few times , i have my photos in it, i was in T72 but in game they look like toys

in OFP they were bigger comparing to the soldiers models

but this what autor of topic said is very important when you care about realism smile_o.gif

Aren't there more detailed addon versions of that thing in

the works already? That jackal weapons pack with

3,000,000 weapons in it probably has several variants of it.

I'm thinking of doing an early production version of the MP5

for a 1970s/80s themed project, but there'll no doubt

eventually be almost as many MP5 addons as there are M4

addons.

Don't like the ingame MP5 either, it disappears in your hands.

In Raven Shield they did a much better job with MP5/PSD which was my gun of choice in that game and they allowed you to mount a sight on it; which brings me to another question. Why no Aimpoint for the Mp5? I wouldn't mind a flashlight or laser designator either even though they wouldn't work they'd still look pretty cool wink_o.gif

Anyway here's a couple of pics and a small vid to show what I'm/we're talking about regarding the width especially the thickness of the heavier suppressed barrel.

mp5sdcop3.jpg

mp5sdlaser.jpg

video; http://www.hkpro.com/video/MP5SD.mov

I hope in time the community will sort all this out...like I've always said in flightsim forums "the basic sim gets you interested but the mods from the community keep you flying"

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ Mar. 26 2007,10:04)]I own a MP5SD6 and I just had a look .... it says 750 mm.

That’s interesting, I assume you own an airsoft one as (as I understand it) the SD6 is not for sale in the US for anything but Law Enforcement or Military use under the '89 amendment to the 1968 Gun Control Act (18 USC 925d3).

Yes sure. I live in Germany and over here you barely are allowed to have a hunting rifle. Trying to legally get one, will take you years of paperwork etc. Not to speak about a military rifle band.gif

But as we know Airsoft guns are 1:1 and using mine for a year now I know that it's the correct size.

Are [real] suppressed MP5s legal to own in any case in

Germany (even with all the paperwork)?

I have never heard or seen anyone in Germany with a military rifle. Neither heard of any firing ranges or something alike.

I simply can not immagine that this is allowed over here. Only hunting rifles and CO2 rifles after you get the right papers and then again there are seasons, specified areas and other restrictions to use them.

Hey Cosmonaut, regarding those pictures. Is it a requirement of the force that you must have a moustache? biggrin_o.gif

Hey Cosmonaut, regarding those pictures. Is it a requirement of the force that you must have a moustache?  biggrin_o.gif

And what's wrong with a moustache!? A fine body of men, there!

Is that Charles Bronson second in line!? biggrin_o.gif

Hey Cosmonaut, regarding those pictures. Is it a requirement of the force that you must have a moustache? biggrin_o.gif

LMAO rofl.gif

I never noticed that before but all four of them have mustaches .. biggrin_o.gif .. Maybe its a Reno Nevada Police thing yay.gif

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ Mar. 26 2007,19:57)]
Are [real] suppressed MP5s legal to own in any case in

Germany (even with all the paperwork)?

I have never heard or seen anyone in Germany with a military rifle. Neither heard of any firing ranges or something alike.

I simply can not immagine that this is allowed over here. Only hunting rifles and CO2 rifles after you get the right papers and then again there are seasons, specified areas and other restrictions to use them.

It is only allowed to own civillized Versions of assault rifles in germany (5 round magazines und semi fire only, no detachable Stock) but no Submachine guns. Silencers are illegal in Germany anyway.

The easiest way to get one ist beeing a member oft the BDMP (Bund deutscher Militär & Polizeischützen), a shooters association mainly for soldiers, military reservists and policemen.