Sign in to follow this  
mithrandir

How outstanding OFP is compared to MOH?

Hi!

I have played and enjoyed OFP since JUNE. OFP has given me enormous amount of fun/excitement/realwar combat simulations. Not to mention ALL hours of joyfull palying I've had!

During this time I have also looking forward to play the upcomming super hyped game Medal of honor, which have been heavily promoted by its publisher. With loads of videos and pic's!

I finally get MOH. After that I played the 3 inital missions in the campign, I am so disapointed at this game.

The freedom you have in OFP, with various solutions and paths to get to a goal doesnt exsist in MOH. It's like you are walking on a narrow path with only one way to go ahead, on that path there are allot of obstacles (enemis). There is also to much scripting!

Im so disapointed on MOH, after months of waiting... sad.gif

After that I have concluded the 3 first mission I have now wiped this pice of SHITWARE of my computer!

My adwice to all that considering getting MOH. If you love OFP and it's freedom/realism/Excitement dont get MOH, you will be disapointed!

Dont get MOH, its SHITWARE!

Ofp is THE fps game ever! PERIOD

Yes, I was ratger dissapointed too 'till I got to the Omaha beach landing map. It's simply the best single player map I've ever played (and I've played a few!), does anyone agree?

I think the landing map is just too easy.... when u get the idea, that if u are hiding behind something, bullets wont hit ou, it doesnt matter how small the objects are, its just as "no shoot area".

you cant expect the same freedom in MOH as in OPF because remember OPF uses its own unique engine; MOH uses a modified quake 3 engine and you prolly know that quake 3 didnt really have open areas like OPF

Totally agree.

I got MOHAA 4 days ago.

Finnished it 2 days ago.

Broke and threw away the cds yesterday.

I hate those 'narrow patchs' you are forced to walk in MOHAA. mad.gif

I prefer AI over scripting and freedom of movement over small and very nice areas(graphic).

When are the console developers admit that :

EYECANDY==!GAMEPLAY hehe biggrin.gif

freedom && realism == gameplay

Conclusion:

condition !alive OFP

onactiv forceend

Loose the friggen ego's eh...

There two totally different games i wouldnt even bother comparing them. MoH does things OFP doesnt and visa versa.

Now Ghost Recon is a game that should be compared to OFP.

Even though i reckon OFP woops its ass and has way more potential and longetivity. But hey thats just my opinion.

Also the Omaha level was awsome untill i completed it.. i mean it woulda raped so much to be able to clear more then 1 bloody bunker .. to run accross the dunes blowing away more germans and more bunkers allowing ur troops to flow thru with less lead headed their way.

Also the fact that blood wasnt inbuilt into the game was a disasterous step and i hope they go broke !.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PanzerGrenadier @ Feb. 09 2002,13:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Loose the friggen ego's eh...

There two totally different games i wouldnt even bother comparing them. MoH does things OFP doesnt and visa versa.

Now Ghost Recon is a game that should be compared to OFP.

Even though i reckon OFP woops its ass and has way more potential and longetivity. But hey thats just my opinion.

Also the Omaha level was awsome untill i completed it.. i mean it woulda raped so much to be able to clear more then 1 bloody bunker .. to run accross the dunes blowing away more germans and more bunkers allowing ur troops to flow thru with less lead headed their way.

Also the fact that blood wasnt inbuilt into the game was a disasterous step and i hope they go broke !.<span id='postcolor'>

calm down no..ofp and moh are different games....ofp is more of a sim whilst moh is less of a sim and doesnt try to make itself into a sim....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now Ghost Recon is a game that should be compared to OFP.

Even though i reckon OFP woops its ass and has way more potential and longetivity.<span id='postcolor'>

Not really.  Both Operation Flashpoint and Ghost Recon are military games, but each is actually quite different in purpose, theme, and execution from the other.

Each has certain strengths and weaknesses over the other, and neither completely whoops the others' ass.  I own both games and enjoy them both immensely for somewhat different reasons - although I know that I'm now going to be flamed here for not being negative toward Ghost Recon.   sad.gif

In any case, this is a great time for fans of realistic first-person war simulators, with the obvious current four (Operation Flashpoint, Ghost Recon, Medal of Honor, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein), as well as World War II Online, to be joined soon by the likes of C&C: Renegade, Battlefield 1942, Global Operations, Hidden and Dangerous 2, and Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror!   smile.gif

-G

MOH is a shoot em up OFP is a 3D action/strategy apart from the fact both are set in war and you can kill people that is were the similarities end.

Why do people expect things from a game it does not claim to do?

What I like about MOH is the way you have such good facial expressions with the characters.....

*sigh* Ok children, let me explain.....

MOH:AA is a 3d first-person SHOOT-EM-UP game. It isn't a simulation, and doesn't attempt to be a realistic simulation of ww2 combat. The developers of the game have pointed this out many times that the game ISN'T A SIMULATION!

You start out the mission with a stock of weapons with lots of ammo, and finish the mission with lots of ammo and health and a load of dead nazi's behind you. Simple as that, it doesn't try to be a simulation, and you would realise that if you payed closer attention to the game mechanics.

Operation Flashpoint IS a simulation. It attempts to simulate realistic ground based warfare and also to some extent aerial warfare. It simulates weapons to a realistic degree, and also the mechanics of squad tactics.

Personally i love MOH:AA. It's the best action/first-person shooter i have ever played. Whenever i get sick of the realism of Operation Flashpoint, i love ripping right into MOH and just having some good old fashion blast everything fun. There are many scripting sections of MOH, but if you actually took the time to study the game closer, you would realise that on the other hand, there are alot of amazing things that AREN'T scripted. One example is the way that teammates and enemies hide behind corners and lean out to take a shot, and no, this isn't scripted, because i have seen it happen at random intervals right throughout the game. And i have completed the game twice already.

Also, if you have ever taken a deeper look at some of the most complex user made missions for Op Flash, you would realise that THEY ARE SCRIPTED. There are already loads of scripts that you can download off of the net for use in your own missions. Op Flash also includes triggers, another area where most action based shooters are degraded for.

Mithrandir, you have just proven your complete lack of intelligence when it comes to computer software. Calling MOH "shitware" isn't exactly an intelligent remark. And even being able to compare MOH to Op Flash shows a lack of intelligence in itself.

Daniel Barnett:

"hear hear!"

I think you meant to say "HERE, HERE!"

Shadow:

"Broke and threw away the cds yesterday."

No you didn't......

Damage Inc:

"I agree that MOH sucks."

Another person with the IQ of a boiled potato...

Anyway, each to his own i guess. But i'm really getting sick and tired of people just completely writing off a game without even giving valid reasons for disliking it to begin with. In my whole life of playing games (since the Commodore 64 days) I have never said that I have disliked a game to the point where it "sucks" or it deserves to be thrown in the trash.

I mean, for gods sake, it's just a bloody computer game. Push it away and accept the fact that it isn't to your liking. But dont degrade it and say that everyone should dislike it and no one should buy it.

My 22 year old sister likes to play The Sims. Personally i dont see the appeal of it, but i dont go telling her that it's "shitware" now do i! Yeah, so ok, i dont like the game, but my sister does, so that proves that there is atleast something in it that is appealing to people of selective tastes.

Just think about what your saying (and playing) next time before you go and open your mouth.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Espectro @ Feb. 09 2002,10:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think the landing map is just too easy....<span id='postcolor'>

That's on easy or medium, right? Try it on > hard <... smile.gif

Drewus, please don't insult people's intelligence in an attempt to make yourself feel better. I hate that. Are you going to pull apart people's grammar and spelling soon too?

Anyways, I have tried the MOH:AA MP demo and was not that impressed. I have my reasons. I don't think that MOH:AA is garbage but I don't plan on actually spending money on it.

I am waitng for Hidden and Dangerous 2 to hit the shelves. H&D 1 was an awesome game, very playable. The best thing about it was the effect of "atmosphere", the vocals, music and scenery made me "feel" like I was in WW2 Europe. It gave me a feeling that I don't get playing MOH:AA. H&D was very well done, the bugs were easy to ignore.

Tyler

H&D2 better have a better choose ur own bloody controls. Not like in the first. That gay sniper rifle ruined it for me. Such a important and useful weapon taht should be zoomed in the moment u activate the scope not sit there crank the mouse wheel or up or down to zoom in ffs.

Drewus!

I hate when people, without any reason, personally insulting people on public boards! This really proves lack of intelligence!

My thread on MOH was my opinnion please respect that (As I respect your oppinion on MOH). To me MOH & OFP are FPS GAMES (which could be compared). I love OFP, GH, HL, RTCW and other FPS's, but I did'nt enjoy MOH. Most likely because it's been so hyped during the development, and I was very  disappointed when I played it. MOH is good eyecandy but the gameplay sucks according to me!

I played MOH right through over a weekend. It was just an arcade FPS which was a shame as more could have been done with it. If thats what the designers wanted though, well thats their call. I thought some levels were a lot of fun but some were very poor.

I didn't like the AI which gave the bad guys supernatural perception and accuracy. The sound was superb though, with some great environmental effects. Bottom line however, is I wouldn't want to play it again whereas a lot of older FPSs like Sin, AvP and even Soldier of Fortune I still enjoy.

Thats where MOH failed for me. I can forgive it being an arcade game but not its lack ( for me ) or replay value. It does make me all the more eager for H+D2 or a WWII mod for OFP.

I have got sick of it....is MOH worth buying...sure...it's got a good multiplayer...I'm not sick of it because it's boring now but other games I have started playing more....any real gamer knows that you will be into one game at one time....and that's the game you play the most....sure you play one here there but your main game is whatever you are into at the time.....

I download to many games....I mean I download a game..play it once and don't touch it again for along time....not cause it sucks but just because......

MOH is a good game....but guess I'm a universal gamer...I like every type of game.....I like the sims....mainly because I enjoy slapping people around and locking people in small rooms with nothing more than what they need to live..which in the game is food.....funny as hell to watch em suffer...LOL tounge.gif

I agree that they are completely different games and can't really be compared.

MOH:AA had some missions that at least to me were completly original. I didn't think much of it was easy, and I had to reload a lot for some missions, especially the last one. I was impressed with the sniper mission once i got into the tower and had to stop them blowing the bridge, but that was short lived really. And I loved how when the alarm was going, guards kept on spawning and running around into me waiting with the mg42. Sadistic maybe, but still fun.

long term value though is obviously ofp for me, but yeah - thats because its a different game with more options through the editor etc....

smile.gif

OH and the biggest thing that shit me off about Hidden and Dangerous was the whole "Oh shit I fell off a hill that was 1ft off the ground and I died again!"

Operation Flashpoint > Medal of Honor

Return to Castle Wolfenstein < Operation Flashpoint

Ghost Recon < Operation Flashpoint

Operation Flashpoint > (Any other game)

Its as simple as that.

Actually, it's even simpler than that:

Operation Flashpoint = Fun

Ghost Recon = Fun

Medal of Honor = I don't know since I haven't played it yet

Return to Castle Wolfenstein = I don't know since I haven't played it yet

Etcetera, etcetera...

-G

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the biggest thing that shit me off about Hidden and Dangerous was the whole "Oh shit I fell off a hill that was 1ft off the ground and I died again!"<span id='postcolor'>

That problem was fixed by the time I got it, never experienced that problem while playing.

Tyler

You guys are way to harsh on Medal of Honor.

I *hope* that you guys know that the series began on the Playstation and has always been a WWII shooter with Authentic weapons, sounds, enemies, and allies.

Or maybe it's because I have been a big Medal of Honor fanboy since the original game was released in 1999.

http://moh.ea.com <----for more information

Prepare for your finnest hour smile.gif