Sign in to follow this  
badvok

Saboteur - Campaign side mission

This mission is an auxiliary mission in the main campaign. It's called Saboteur but so are a few missions. Basically you start at the end of a valley and have to blow up 2 T72's and 1 BMP2. The base has only 1 entrance and is surrounded by wire fences (2 layers) so you can easily be seen from any angle. There are 8 towers, only 2 or 3 maned by carrot eating sharp shooters. 3 men on the gate and 4 patrolling inside the base. Plus a few more men outside the base patrolling the grounds.

Has anyone completed this covertly. I've completed it but only by killing 35 men pistols.gif (the alarm got set off) and then sneaking up on the T72's with bombs and finally taking out the BMP2 with a "borrowed" RPG. That 2 took bloody hours! Never mind the loading times.

It's one tough mission.

I have sort of done it.

I went under the bridge to the righthand tower shot the sniper, went along a bit went into the whole, proned my way down to the tanks, hopped into tank destroyed everything, drove almost to the exfil site killed the spec ops, got out blew the tank and got in truck. Mission complete

I have sort of done it.

I went under the bridge to the righthand tower shot the sniper, went along a bit went into the whole, proned my way down to the tanks, hopped into tank destroyed everything, drove almost to the exfil site killed the spec ops, got out blew the tank and got in truck. Mission complete

Under the bridge? - i think that's the single player mission called saboteur. Did the base have concrete fences rather than wire fences?

I know what mission you mean ... I looked at their base and was like, how the hell are you suppose to get in their without being seen ... so I started picking off the soldiers who were more isolated until I could sneak in ... but then the alarm went off and all hell broke lose so blew the charges ran and somehow survived, but I agree to do that mission without being seen is extremely hard! crazy_o.gif

there a flashing tower thats very tall you could go prone on a snipe the hell out of everyone but the you have to set the charges in the front of the base once the tanks start moving. im stilling studying the behavior of the AI but i almost got it. i have found that that the AI cant see that high up except for the helicopter but that ends up crashing into the mountain side.i will update when i complete.

What I did was wait until the helicopter crashed and then I shot everyone in the outskirts of the base (the alarm didn't go off) and then I ran to the T72 behind the BMP, planted satchels on the tank and blew the BMP up and the second T72. Then I got out off the T72 and blew it up and ran up the mountain and completed the mission.

I can hear that helicopter, but it appears to stand still. If it starts to move (you can hear it), it looks to me that it is just a matter of time (long or short) before the alarm goes off, indicating I've done something wrong sad_o.gif

I've tried "waiting for the chopper to crash", but that doesn't sound like a "good" way to do it. It also never crashes for me.

As far as I can tell, there is no magic hole in the fence to exploit, and if I shoot the single guy at the entrance, the alarm goes off.

Being in a place where "AI can't see you" seem to me like a game engine exploit, and not how it is supposed to be done.

So, how is this supposed to be done? Quite stuck here (again).

finally finished

heres how i beat it:

note use high ground when sniping because the AI will have a hard time firing where the shots are coming from

1)i came in from the rear of the base sniped the guard in the left rear tower.

2) sniped the guard in the front left most tower. waited for like 1 hour for the helicopter to crash. it sometimes crashes sooner but it crashed like an hour later. one word of advice find a tree or go prone on the flashing communication tower to hide from the chopper.

3) sniped the 4 guards in the front. no alarms triggered.

4) circled the base by using the mountain peaks surrounding the base and killed 2 more guards on the outskirt.

5) one guard was hidden under the front most tree. (if you kill him, any roaming guards inside the base or any of the guards in the center watch tower the alarm will sound!!wink_o.gif i killed the guy under the branch and immediately( i tested several ways to trigger the alarm so i knew what to expect when i killed anybody) ran inside the base and took a t72 and wiped out everything. drove off in the sunset with tank

Completed on vet.

//Spoilers.

1. Ran right from start to the top of the mountain ridge

2. Ran across the far side of the mountain keeping the base on my left until I was in front of the base.

3. Walked quietly down the side of the mountain towards the entrance and picked off the single guard standing 50m outside the base with a shot to the back of the head. This was the only guard I could shoot without setting off the alarms (obviously: silent shooting).

4. Crawled closer to the front gate.

5. Three guards go in. One guard comes out.

6. Crawled into the base through the front gate, very close to the truck. Yes, I was lit by the front lights.

7. Crawled directly forwards past the truck and, once out of the lights, to the left. The lights screw your NV, but DONT wait for it to clear- get out of there.

8. At this point I always got spotted by a guard behind the truck, (on easy he isn’t there btw). I shot him and immediately stood, ran through the gap between the left two buildings, across the short bit of ground and jumped in the tank. (This needs to be done QUICKLY. There is a gun tower to your right during the run and it took a few attempts to make the tank before they start shooting. I guess you could always throw a grenade their way directly after shooting the guard if you wanted to.)

9. Once in the tank I shot everything, making sure to get the armour and all the troops. After I rampaged through the base I destroyed the guard towers and then drove the tank out of the base and close to the exit point (it won’t go up the hill).

10. I Demo'd the tank and ran to the exit.

This mission reminded me of one in OFP that looked impossible from the brief and basically required you to think on your belly commando style!

On Vet you only get one save, which I used at point 5/6

As far as I can tell, there is no magic hole in the fence to exploit, and if I shoot the single guy at the entrance, the alarm goes off.

except that there is.. it's just well hidden wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]except that there is.. it's just well hidden  

The man is right, just need to get your belly dirty to find it, then you can do some real silent  pistols.gif  pistols.gif  pistols.gif  (but get up off your belly to do that wink_o.gif  )

A hole you say. Where abouts?

A nice pair of wire cutters would have been handy on this mission and given it a bit more realism.

I complete this mission with following...

First ran right to the mountain

Keep going until you are around the rear one of the T72 which parked next to fence( and one BMP-2)

Crawl near the fence

Blow the fence with satchel

Then run into the tank

(ASAP after you touch off the bomb)

I got no single shot when I run into it

Start your slaughter until the end smile_o.gif

The hole in the fence is still the better option  biggrin_o.gif no shots no hassle, sure a good bit of creeping around is needed in the base but thats what spec-ops do. (BTW the hole on the inner fence is not the same side as the outer fence) pistols.gif  pistols.gif  pistols.gif

This mission reminded me of one in OFP that looked impossible from the brief and basically required you to think on your belly commando style!

I know what mission you mean and I HATED that one.

I remember jacking a tank and just rampaging that one, taking up position near a building with it and just blasting anything that moved. Then I ran the tank up the hill as far as possible, jumped out, blew it up with a charge, and then ran the last 100 meters or so to the end point.

Just got to this mission so thanks for the tips, guys. smile_o.gif

I managed to complete this mission before I found the hole in the mission editor...

That's what I did:

After mission started, I went to the top of the mountain on the right. Continue to the north until I reached ground level. Then I moved to the front gate. At a save distance I went prone and keep at slow speed (press Left-Shift twice). When I was near the gate. I realized that all the standing guards near by were facing away! So I kept prone and sneaked into the base without being spotted! In fact I was prone all the way near and inside the base. Avoided the walking guards and put all the satchel charges to the three targets. Sneaked out of the base via front gate again. Kept prone until I went deep into the woods on the left. Then I went to the top of the mountain on the left and set off the charges! BOOOOOOM!!

I just needed to worry about the guard walking outside the base because he has a waypoint at the front gate. Also I was killed on the first attempt because I was too close to the truck at the gate and the guard near by had been alerted.

I complete this mission with following...

First ran right to the mountain

Keep going until you are around the rear one of the T72 which parked next to fence( and one BMP-2)

Crawl near the fence

Blow the fence with satchel

Then run into the tank

(ASAP after you touch off the bomb)

I got no single shot when I run into it

Start your slaughter until the end smile_o.gif

Ya thats what I did too after I got frustrated. I got annoyed that if I shot even the soldiers outside the base the alarm goes off.

I walked up the side of the right mountain. Waited for the UAZ to enter the base, then crawled into the base. After trying to figure out how to satchel the other t72 and bmp with 2 patrols, i just jumped into the t72 next to the houses and went on a rampage. They didn't even attack me in the t72. Once I killed everyone in the base and the other t72 and bmp I satcheled the t72 i was in and boom, mission complete!