Sign in to follow this  
Stryder

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

lol ive just got back from pripyat cause my armor got pretty screwed and i went back all over to the wild territory aiming for yantar to look for a seva suit or anything equal, as when one of those freaky poltergeist dudes hoovers around in the wild territory

that was kinda funny biggrin_o.gif

some footsteps away i killed another one right away.

quite funny how you can find new things if you progress in the game and then just get back in some of the previous regions smile_o.gif

just too bad that some weapons are accessable THAT late ingame :/ like the gauss or the fn2k

by then its pretty useless if you go accustomed to your other fav rifle.

btw whats your current artifact, weapon and suit loadout?

be gots the G36, the pseudo VSS (BC Vintar)

SEVA suit bought from the yantar doc gonna change it tho

artifacts i need to look up cant remeber their names

but there are some that add like +600% for wounds or so

funnily enough that certain artifact isnt that rare and i find it quite often

whilest artifacts like the pelicle are rare but pretty useless :/

(already found it 2 times)

or the battery artfacts if youre carefull you wont need them anyway

cheers

Loadout I used was a g36 with a silencer and grenade launcher attachments, secondary weapon was a dragunov with some AP rounds [not cheap!]. I didnt fancy the gauss I guess it was too high tech for my liking I felt like Arnie in Total Recall.

The suit I used was the military suit I think, pretty dear but worth the money as element protection was superb, as for artifacts I found them to be quite a good earner so off Id go into the wilderness saving everyfew minutes before I jumped head first into a bunch of anomalies to claim some raritys.

If you want a more accessable and highspeed version Neph I'd highly recommend the fajakes total conversion mod, more toys more fun

smile_o.gif

i cant play that much as it get very sick over 15 mins

i couldnt get these level of motion sickness in ArmA even with TIR  tounge2.gif

i am at the 3rd round and now i am doing it with mods

Thanks God! SDK has appeared. Just for MP.But they promised to make and for singleplayer soon. Stalker the game was released in March and the first version appeared yesterday. So 3 months. Arma was released in December,but can`t see even beta tools. Hope it`s time to correct arma`s tools. But all in all GSC were quickly than BIS wink_o.gif

well i think GSC have a bigger block of money then BI have

I have to agree with Bals on this one: S.T.A.L.K.E.R is absolutely fantastic. Yes, the translation is bad, some of the voiceovers are poor, the weapons are underpowered, have fake names etc... But the atmosphere... the setting... Absolutely fantastic.

I was three and a half when the Chernobyl disaster happened. I remember my grandfather taking me to the hospital where all citizens were given vaccins. It's one of my earliest memories, filled with fear and confusion, so the Chernobyl setting holds a special meaning for me. The game developers did a great job in creating a believable setting. The ferris wheel in Pripyat was a nice touch, as well as the lava flows or the Red Forest. If you've ever lived in an Eastern Bloc country, you'll recognise a lot of mundane things too. A certain kind of ubiquitous concrete slabs, familiar fences, enormous housing blocks... Fantastic stuff. The last game to evoke a similar feeling of recognition in me was OFP.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R is much more enjoyable if you know a thing or two about the actual disaster. If you've read "A Roadside Picnic" or seen Tarkovsky's "Stalker", well... then it's a real treat smile_o.gif

Incidentally, I found a realism mod. I was wondering whether anyone had tried it yet and whether it was worth downloading.

I am not into the STALKER community, so I am not aware of any mods that do enhance the experience.

Can someone post a list of recommended mods/addons, etc with links ?

Googling came up with a confusing amount of mods, but as I´m on a low-bandwidth connection at home, I can´t try them all.

So... anyone got some links to really good STALKER mods ?

Incidentally, I found a realism mod. I was wondering whether anyone had tried it yet and whether it was worth downloading.

Don`t like Realism Mod, and so many people have a lot of troubles as I heard. Step by step: 1) AMK Mod the latest version 2) A-Life Mod by Sanexx 3)M_BCCF_Full 1.2.1 Final (new monsters).

This mod`s combination works well together. And there are more changes then in 3 patches taken together smile_o.gif

Don`t like Realism Mod, and so many people have a lot of troubles as I heard. Step by step: 1) AMK Mod the latest version 2) A-Life Mod by Sanexx 3)M_BCCF_Full 1.2.1 Final (new monsters).

This mod`s combination works well together. And there are more changes then in 3 patches taken together  smile_o.gif

I recomend all of these mods listed, especially A-Life mod by Sanexx, dont get confused with A-Life Alpha mod which screws up games.

What it does? See it yourself.... watch mutants around you  nener.gif

This mod`s combination works well together. And there are more changes then in 3 patches taken together  smile_o.gif

I recomend all of these mods listed, especially A-Life mod by Sanexx, dont get confused with A-Life Alpha mod which screws up games.

What it does? See it yourself.... watch mutants around you  nener.gif

Hi guys, I’m new to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but love it!

It's so creepy. And the AI is rather good in the way they stay in cover and try to flank you.

I haven’t got too far into it yet, but have read about some of these mods (including the vehicle mod).

If i install them, will i have to restart?

Also is the vehicle mod any good, or does it make the maps feel smaller?

And finally, where is the best place to get them?

Hi guys,  I’m new to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but love it!

It's so creepy.  And the AI is rather good in the way they stay in cover and try to flank you.

I haven’t got too far into it yet, but have read about some of these mods (including the vehicle mod).

If i install them, will i have to restart?

Also is the vehicle mod any good, or does it make the maps feel smaller?

And finally, where is the best place to get them?

Here

whistle.gif

... have read about some of these mods.

... where is the best place to get them?

Here

whistle.gif

Thanks mate. thumbs-up.gif

I paid a visit to the zone again lately - now the mods are getting better and better it's great to fully re-enjoy the game cause you know where to look for things to find. (just found out about that stalker suit in your start village)

Did you know you can open all locked doors ingame by dropping / throwing a long rifle between the door and its frame? Seems like a bug in the physics engine. (google for youtube vids)

Atm i'm searching for a mod that features free AI roaming (monsters walk around more, higher number of neutral stalkers) and the weapon repair mod.

Best mod i've ever played with is the little hack that gets you rid of the head movement while walking - caused my headaches really!

smile_o.gif

Best bet for a nice and simple mod would be to go with "Oblivion Lost" (the original game title)

It's a collection of mods that restore a lot of the original functionality and features that were either incomplete, or removed for some reason. Things like drivable vehicles, randomised anomalies, free-roaming AI (encounter anything and anyone, anywhere), realistic weapons damage (and weapon names), a handy sleeping bag, new mutants and more zombie types, the list goes on and on.

One of the coolest features in my opinion is the re-introduction of randomised "blowouts" from the reactor, get caught in the open when one of those hits and kiss your stalking ass goodnight. smile_o.gif The AI actually reacts to these as well, running for cover, or getting fried in the open etc. smile_o.gif

Details here: Click this link

It's a totally different (and better) game after using this mod, although of course some of the things are a little rough around the edges.

The link... it does nothing?!

Googling solved the problem, here's the download link from megauploads (pretty ok d/l speed): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z7TEHTQM.

The mod sounds very promising!

Really? Worked for me. Anyway, the link is http://forums.filefront.com/s-t-l-k....os.html

It's a top notch collection of three main mods, along with some tweaking. It's the dog's dangling parts. notworthy.gif

I just keep going back for more...

Just installed it (which is quite a bitch if you bought Stalker on Steam), and I have to say... wow. The sounds are great, the weapons are awesome (finally, a 9 mm pistol actually does anything!! ), the day/night cycles are much longer, the nights look fantastic (i.e. actually dark), the A-Life is really alive... I'm still very early in the game (haven't even crossed the train viaduct yet), but I've already had tons of fun exploring.

Two examples: while looking for the spot where Nimble was ambushed, you come across one of his wounded comrades. It was the middle of the night when I stumbled upon him. I gave him the medkit and he rose to thank me. Suddenly, midsentence, he stops talking and whirls around, just as a shambling zombie emerges from the darkness! The creature is much faster than you'd expect. We pump it full of lead and the damn thing finally goes down. I turn to the Loner to continue our conversation, but I see he still has his pistol drawn. What the... I turn around and watch my torch cast vivid shadows on the bloody corpse getting up! In a frenzy of left mouse clicks we put another two clips in the zombified soldier (while it begs us to kill it in Russian) and the undead finally turns dead. Zombies are nothing new in games, but combined with Stalker's eerie atmosphere, sounds and dynamic AI (this wasn't scripted, it was just a zombie drawn to our flashlights! ) it got pretty scary. I loved it smile_o.gif

I then proceeded to the old farm where Nimble was kept. We cleared out the place (with the added bonus of wild dogs dropping by! ) and freed Nimble. I decided it was too bloody dark to go on so I found a nice, sheltered spot on a second floor, grabbed my sleepingbag and went to sleep. When I woke up (disoriented from the dream wink_o.gif ) I heard voices downstairs... Unfriendly voices. The farm had been taken over by the bandits again! They were doing house-to-house searches but hadn't found me yet. Duking it out in the reddish light of the rising sun was great fun, especially now that low-level weapon actually deal some damage. A well-placed round from an AKM put a stop to my heroics, though smile_o.gif

All in all: if this isn't the dogs bollocks, I don't know what is.

PS: Ah, I knew the name CosmicCastaway sounded familiar! We had a PM discussion about the merits of British comedy back in september 2004. Boy, how time flies...

PS: Ah, I knew the name CosmicCastaway sounded familiar! We had a PM discussion about the merits of British comedy back in september 2004. Boy, how time flies...

That's the one smile_o.gif I've been doing an excellent job of losing all my money in far flung corners of the globe these past few years, back now due to erm.. financial constraints crazy_o.gif

The mod truly is the business, it adds a lot the the overall atmosphere of the thing, as you said. So much so, that I actually find myself climbing to the top of tall structures and tucking myself away in a secretive corner, just to catch some sleep! It's entirely possible to go to sleep wherever you like, but to hell with sleeping in the open. biggrin_o.gif

I'm about to head up to the Red Forest type area, god only knows what 'drinkspillingonkeyboard' horrors await. Some of the underground facilities are quite a bit harder now, what with the addition of more (and varied) mutants / zombies.

Returning to a camp fire expecting to find someone you had a conversation with earlier, only to find they've been killed by wild dogs and dragged off into the bushes is bloody creepy too.

smile_o.gif

**NOTE** this might just be with my installation, but when you reach the "Army Warehouses" area and meet up with the Freedom faction, make sure you save your game before befriending them. (If that's the route you go down of course) I get a crash to desktop when re-loading quicksaves in the Army Warehouses sector, after befriending Freedom; but they work fine in other areas. Just a little heads up smile_o.gif

I am also rinning with the Oblivion Lost mod right now and I can say that it is amazing.

I have also downloaded the ENB series mod and some other graphics utilities.

I am more afraid to go somewhere at night because now it is too much scary so I am always sleeping and waiting for the day XD

Is OL mod made by the stalker dev team or a community mod? I dont know much about stalker even though i have it. Played it a bit and wanted it to be more like it seems to be with this addon.

Regards

Alex

It's a community mod.

Basically, it's a compilation of the best STALKER mods, including AI improvements, gameplay modifications, textures, realism, etc.

Plus it unlocks content that the devs had considered but didn't implement in the end, such as driveable vehicles, Burer etc.

Another thing I like is that OL reverts all voice acting to Russian (you can change it back to English if you want, of course). That's one thing that really, really bothered me about Stalker - the poor translations and the even worse voice acting (although the quality of the latter is directly influenced by the quality of the former...). The grammar was mediocre but the style was horrible. Shoddy punctuation, strange phrases, inconsistent style (do they want American or British English?), ugh... It's a pity they didn't hire a professional translator (and if they did, they should ask for their money back). To be fair, I must admit there are some hard to translate words - I don't think there's a word in English which would properly convey the contextual meaning of "malchik".

Plus it unlocks content that the devs had considered but didn't implement in the end, such as driveable vehicles, Burer etc.

Another thing I like is that OL reverts all voice acting to Russian (you can change it back to English if you want, of course). That's one thing that really, really bothered me about Stalker - the poor translations and the even worse voice acting (although the quality of the latter is directly influenced by the quality of the former...). The grammar was mediocre but the style was horrible. Shoddy punctuation, strange phrases, inconsistent style (do they want American or British English?), ugh... It's a pity they didn't hire a professional translator (and if they did, they should ask for their money back). To be fair, I must admit there are some hard to translate words - I don't think there's a word in English which would properly convey the contextual meaning of "malchik".

Some hard to translate words? There is alot of them, expecially the words the bandits use tounge2.gif

Speaking of hard. Running the Oblivion Lost mod and getting into Chernobyl NPP brings new meaning to the word 'hard'. Don't even get me started on once you get inside. You can see why they hauled some of the stuff out of the release version, that's for sure. smile_o.gif

Well worth it though.