Sign in to follow this  
mrn

Dynamic War

great. i tried this at first but really disliked the focus/bullet time. but now that it's an avoided option this sounds really good to try again.

About the accuracy from the AI.

Try changing the values for friendly and enemy AI in your ArmA.cfg file which is in otherprofiles/yourname/ directory.

I changed it down to 0.45 for friendly and 0.40 enemy. AI certainly don't take you out with a single shot on 300 - 500m!

The firefights last a lot longer, AI miss often the targets (even with RPG).

But beware! This brings another problem with it. You even need more ammo than before, because it often happens that your teammates sometimes use up a whole magazine to take out an enemy!

On a short distance (50m - 100m) they hit the target fairly quick. (2-3 shots)

I had the biggest show stopper with this mission yesterday.

After making very good progress (7 missions complete) The game crashed and I could not load it anymore, because both files save.armasave and continue.armasave were gone from otherprofiles/myname directory! Really frustrating!

Not sure if you're aware of the seized by triggers MrN, i found them a few weeks ago and they're pretty good... could be used in an assault mission perhaps instead of having to do an enemy count within a marker area..

Ref: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=58850

Just a suggestion anyway smile_o.gif might not be suitable.

@Kroky

Quote[/b] ]Can you explain how the influence the mission?

A brief description of stats:

Enemy morale effects when the main campaign is over, they lose 1 point per kill and 10 points per mission complete,

they gain 150 per mission failed.

Enemy experience effects enemy skill level and tendency to flee, they gain 1 point per kill and lose 1 point per death.

Enemy popularity effects enemy numbers (how many are spawned), it is only changed by the Raid mission, the death of the

Officer has a varying effect on the stats.

Friendly morale effects when the main campaign is over, you lose 1 point per death and gain 1 point per kill

Friendly experience effects friendly skill level (spawned units only, not player group) and tendency to flee,

you lose 1 point per death and gain 1 point per kill

Friendly popularity effects friendly numbers (how many are spawned), it is only changed by the Raid mission, the death of the Officer has a varying effect on the stats.

The hero rating effects:

Guns/ammo- changes at 100 and 250

Mission selection- manual mission selection is available at around 350

Support levels are here:

?_herorating <= 100:_artfire =1;_misfire = 0;_airfire = 0;goto "diff"

?_herorating <= 200:_artfire =2;_misfire = 1;_airfire = 0;goto "diff"

?_herorating <= 300:_artfire =4;_misfire = 2;_airfire = 1;goto "diff"

?_herorating <= 400:_artfire =6;_misfire = 3;_airfire = 2;goto "diff"

?_herorating <= 500:_artfire =8;_misfire = 4;_airfire = 3;goto "diff"

_artfire =10;_misfire = 5;_airfire = 4

These are dropped by 50% on hard.

The chopper cutscene is disabled after either 5 missions or when the hero rating goes over 100

The mission cutscene is cut short after rating goes over 75 or is disabled after either 3 missions or when the hero rating goes over 100

The killed eventhandlers will effect the skill of the shooting unit, ie if LoonA shoots LoonB, LoonA's skill goes up. This is why the

players' group are high school dropouts, the more you baby-sit them and longer you keep them alive the more effective they become.

There's probably others I'm forgetting but that's the fundamentals.

@javelin10

Quote[/b] ]Could it be because I got tired of my M4 and robbed a load of good gear from the base down the road for my squad?

No, I don't know why that happened sorry.

Quote[/b] ]Also, will the enemy artillery be quite as deadly as before?

Yep smile_o.gif

@xxbbcc

Quote[/b] ]I do have a problem with the terrorist base mission:

I've added a seized by trigger and it seems to play ok now, if anything it fires a bit early but it'll do.

Quote[/b] ]On this mission I ran into a problem with ammo

I'm guessing this was early on, ie 3-4 missions in? I could just give the player all the toys at the start but then I'd lose the sense of progression I'm trying to implement. Personally I always play on Hard and rarely have a problem with ammo.

confused_o.gif

I'll have a look see if I can find a script to attach objects to parachutes, I then could do an ammo drop.

Ref the cutscenes, if they bug you play on Hard or get some good kills in the patrol missions and you will a) have more ammo and b) get rid of the cutscenes.

smile_o.gif

@Jack-UK

Quote[/b] ]Just a suggestion anyway smile_o.gif might not be suitable.

Just the job mate, thanks.

thumbs-up.gif

Cheers

@MrN

Thanks for the explanation how the values work. So now I know a little bit more what to do, to improve them and what they're good for.

Hi MrN, I unpboed your mission to check the missile support accuracy issue and here goes the conclussions  wink_o.gif

These missiles will rarely if ever hit the target, or even near the target area  tounge2.gif

This is basically what you told these missiles to do:

takeoff and climb to 400m Above Sea Level, aproach the target accelerating slowly until 200m/s while avoiding terrain obstacles and activate the seeker for final aproach when closer than 460m to the target.  

To make things simpler, lets suppose your target is a ship at 0m ASL. The missile aproaches flying 400m ASL, when the missile's distance to target is 460m the missile opens its "eye" trying to track down the target for the final kill,  but in that situation the target is already 400m just below the missile, so that "eye" will see nothing, and even in the case that the missile's seeker were able to look directly down, the missile will not be able to turn vertically 90 degrees in a quarter of seconds to dive into the target in time. So, basically, the missile loses the track and flies away till it crashes against something.

I recommend you to use V2.2b, which is far more advanced than 2.1 and is also MP compatible. With V2.2b you have control over many more missile parameters that were hardcoded in V2.1 (for example, seeker aperture arc). And you may also experiment any flight profile using the Missile Laboratory from where you may copy/past the resulting firing parameter arrays.

If you want to keep with 2.1, try setting the active range to 1500m or more and increase the initial vertical angle from 5 to 30 or so.

If you have any further questions just contact me, sadly I didnt have time to finish any detailed docs for missile usage yet.

EDIT:

It seems you are also firing all the missiles against the same gamelogic target, so the affected area will have a radius of less than 20m. As you fire salvos of 4 missiles, you may use an independent logic target for each one distributed wisely to cover a larger area with a single attack.

i am really enjoying this mission.

however Mr N could you please advise how to integrate seconds suppression script on the enemy groups?

thanks smile_o.gif

also a random modifier might be a nice way to get some random action even between missions (say get ambushed on way to LZ or transport heli crashes and need to complete secondary objective like steal car and get back to base).... just to mix things up.

Excuse me if I'm behind the curve on this but any luck so far fixing the save function?

I played a defend mission the other day and was having trouble because all the AI on the base got all the kills and there was no way for me to get the 50 kills needed to complete the mission.

@Mandoble

Quote[/b] ]These missiles will rarely if ever hit the target, or even near the target area

That would be why they don't then. wink_o.gif

TBH, it's been such a long time since I fiddled with the missiles I'd sort of forgotten about them. When I added them I was happy enough to get them launching and getting in the general vicinity but got bored of fiddling with the settings and moved on to something else.

I'll look at them again and spawn a couple of game logics about to spread out the fire, thanks for the tips.

@twisted

Quote[/b] ]however Mr N could you please advise how to integrate seconds suppression script on the enemy groups?

I haven't used it but according to the readme you just add the group name, so if you look in the spawn folder and find the spawn_enemies.sqs. Go down to the #end section and insert the line:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[_tg]exec suppression_pack\second_suppress_west.sqs"

In theory that should do it. whistle.gif

I do need to add some more random stuff but at the moment I need a break from this mission, I have a couple of minor tweaks/fixes planned to do as an update but I won't be adding anything major.

@Manzilla

Quote[/b] ]Excuse me if I'm behind the curve on this but any luck so far fixing the save function?

Not fixed as such but it does seem to be better, not perfect just better. wink_o.gif I'm sure others can let you know what the savegame's like, I mainly play in the editor where it's fine.

@Mac8484

Quote[/b] ]AI on the base got all the kills and there was no way for me to get the 50 kills needed to complete the mission.

I'm not quite that cruel, the mission needs to see 50 kills, not necessarily by you, could be anyone.

Cheers

smile_o.gif

Play in the editor? So if I do that I can save? Now, is there anything special I need to do to play it in the editor or do I just need to fire it up?

Anyone still look at this post??

Mr. N or anyone who knows...

What's the deal about playing in the Editor? If I play the mission there the save function works? How do I do that? I love this mission but between the crashes(BI can you please do something about the Vista+G 8800 series compat.) and the save bug, it takes a while to advance. Please explain.

Sorry mate must have missed it.

What should in theory be fine is, load Arma, play the mission, save the game, play the mission, die, reload etc.

What causes the main problem is if Arma is quit and the mission is reloaded, although the latest version should be better.

When I'm playing in the editor I'm not quitting and reloading therefore it's fine.

I would suggest you play it normally through the single player missions option, there's nothing to be gained from playing in the editor.

smile_o.gif

I have been playing in SP. Even if I die and reload it crashes. Saves dont work at all anymore even if I play bare bones with no addons

Same for me. It worked one or two times, but now it crashes to desktop always, I have to restart the mission. I saved always at base, after completing the mission.

Sorry to hear that, I thought the savegame was better with the last version. I have got another update half done, but I'm fiddling with something else at the moment.

Hopefully a couple of weeks or so and I'll put it up.

Cheers

Excellent. I was hoping you'd say that. I look forward to it. Hopefully it will be sooner than a couple weeks but not a big deal. It's nice to know you are still working on it. Thanks.

How do you get the game to play in single-player mode?

Just put the .pbo in the Missions folder and that should do it. I believe that's all I did.

Hmm.... I did that. Will try it again.

great work! anyone still working on a mp variant?

i tried to modify this mission by replacing ai thru human players. it seems that it works on lokal server but not on a real dedicated server. the targets are placed on the water in the north of the island - primary on patrol missions.

could anyone help?

thanks in avance.

Quote[/b] ]could anyone help?

Not me I'm afraid, I had a look at a MP version but it was getting too complicated. A lot of the scripts will need a major overhaul to use on a dedicated server because the hints and titletexts will need to be in a separate script, also I don't know how all the arrays would behave in MP, probably badly!

Quote[/b] ]Can you fix it for SP version by any chance?

Ahem...

Quote[/b] ]I have got another update half done

Also, ref the CTD's you mentioned, did you start again or did you resume your savegame from a previous version? Reason I ask is a few people have tried it now without reporting any issues.

Cheers

It was not saved from an old version. I'm not sure why I'm having so much trouble with this mission. When you released the last update I started over and made sure I had no extra addons turned on. I got through 2 missions and after that I cant not load the save that happens after a mission is completed. I haven't tried it in a while. I've just decided to stop playing until you release a new version. Hopefully this one will work for me.