Sign in to follow this  
mrn

Dynamic War

Ahh the joys of mission editing wink_o.gif

But hey, once the bugs are fixed this mission will be really popular and i would say the best SP mission around at the moment.

Cause its my favourite at least lol! =D

Hope the POW mission isnt too much bother crazy_o.gifthumbs-up.gif

The mission breaks in the beta. Hopefully gets fixed when it releases.

It also crashes very frequently in 1.06 when trying to reload the game.

Also, enemy soldiers seem to be generated randomly, out of thin air. I got into an "ambush" in an already cleared area, where more than 200+ appeared already (coming from all directions, almost evenly distributed) and my entire team finally got killed because everyone ran out of ammo. (By this time everyone on the team was using AK-s, because everyone ran out of original ammo long before.)

The enemy soldiers still kept coming, from all directions. The mission didn't end, even though I cleared 11 locations - when I try calling the evac chopper, nothing happens. (I think I selected assault.) This seems like a bug.

Never fear, I am still working on this.

I've tried countless things to try and sort the savegame issue out with no success, I have a couple more things to try before I give up.

However, I have fixed the mission bugs, added an airstrike option, made the misison difficulty more gradual and mission choice certainly early on will be automatic.

Cheers

smile_o.gif

Why dont u just take out the mission coded saving completely???

Never fear, I am still working on this.

I've tried countless things to try and sort the savegame issue out with no success, I have a couple more things to try before I give up.

However, I have fixed the mission bugs, added an airstrike option, made the misison difficulty more gradual and mission choice certainly early on will be automatic.

Cheers

smile_o.gif

Why dont u just take out the mission coded saving completely???

How would that solve anything? It would just mean no saves at all via the mission, and saves done from the pause menu would still have the same problem.

I'd vote for keeping the manual mission selection and removing the focus/relax/bullet cam menus (or at least having an option of removing them.) They look neat at first, but it's very annoying that they're at the top of the action menu and all, much more important items can only be accessed after scrolling. Bulletcam is also useless during an actual fight, since it distracts from the targets and the situation.

Also, having a lot more open vehicles (trucks/buses) all over the island would help a lot - when I played the mission (which I finally gave up because of the unending flow of enemy soldiers) I got sent to locations all over the map and I had to walk to everywhere. I found a bus in one of the locations but that got shot very soon and I couldn't find anything else.

Also, having some ammo crates around would be nice (although, of course weapons can be taken from enemy soldiers), but it's a pain, since most missions are so enemy-intensive, that the original loadout doesn't last through 1/4-th of the mission. This is waaay unrealistic. Having ammo crates (or callable support trucks/helos) would help a lot with this.

In the assault mission type, the location for assault changes without warning/notification: the original mission was in one town ad then later on when I opened the map, the marker was on a different town (on the opposite edge of the island.) This is more of a bug, since it makes for very unrealistic missions, where a small squad has to fight the entire island without any supplies, any medical help (if the medic is shot, there is no way to replace him. Maybe the player could go back to the US base, but that's so far away without vehicles, that it's not really an option.)

When the mission target area changes, it'd be nice to have a notification about that and to make sure that the new location is within a certain distance from the original one - this would give the feeling that the enemy is indeed localized to a certain area.

All in all, this is a nice mission, but I feel that it could benefit from a few tweaks. Being a free mission, still many thanks to MrN for working on it. smile_o.gif

@Kilo1-1

Quote[/b] ]Hopefully gets fixed when it releases.

Me too. wink_o.gif A new version is in the works but I may wait for the next patch before I attempt too much else.

@xxbbcc

Quote[/b] ]It also crashes very frequently in 1.06 when trying to reload the game.

I am trying to fix this, at the moment it is my biggest bugbear by far. I have made some progress (savegames from 15mb-ish to 7mb-ish) but it will still fail sometimes.

Quote[/b] ]The enemy soldiers still kept coming, from all directions. The mission didn't end, even though I cleared 11 locations - when I try calling the evac chopper, nothing happens. (I think I selected assault.) This seems like a bug.

I agree smile_o.gif I haven't had this before but someone else has mentioned problems with missions ending. I'm pretty certain that bugs like this have gone now.

@-Puma-

Like Maddmatt says, any savegame has the same issues. It should be called the loadgame bug I guess because that's when you experience the problem but it's normally caused by too much information being saved (variables).

@back to xxbbcc

Quote[/b] ]I'd vote for keeping the manual mission selection

You're the first I think but I have kind of got rid of them. The next version has more dependency on the rating of the player so if you want to get manual selection you have to earn it. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] removing the focus/relax/bullet cam menus (or at least having an option of removing them.)

I'll add it to my "to do" list, should be easier now I've implemented a difficulty setting as well.

Quote[/b] ]The rest...

It sounds like your game went completely Pete Tong so it may have been a bit unrepresentative of what should normally happen. Ammo needs to be conserved but you shouldn't have so many enemies that ammo (including that stolen) runs out. The only mission that I normally have that on is the Defend missions. I find it makes for a more tense game if you don't have all the toys you want at the time. smile_o.gif

Thanks for the feedback, the more the merrier.

thumbs-up.gif

MrN,

For the manual/automatic mission selection, couldn't you add a window with two buttons at teh beginning of the mission and then save the selected value? If a user selected then manual mission selection, then you simply put up the same dialog with the buttons that you have in your current release. I'm only voting for the manual style, because then I can always select the mission type that I want. (I don't mind replaying similar types, if they're good.) And anyway, I already earned manual mission selection: I had a hero rating of 1438 when I stopped playing. xmas_o.gif The enemy had a morale of -76. smile_o.gif

As for ammo restocking: I agree with you on being conservative on ammo use, but having some resupply options would help anyway. I don't mind if a mission is long, just want to have a minimal chance of winning. smile_o.gif (I didn't really want to give up the long mission, but because of the too many enemies, I had no choice.) Having a resupply option would make it more realistic, imo - it'd help with longer missions (or with ones with many enemies.)

Overall, I like your mission a lot and wouldn't mind seeing a lot of extra mission types. Good job - looking forward to the new version after the patch.

Update

0.91c

Hero rating and the number of missions played now affects game progression more. To begin with player will mostly have poor guns , limited support options etc. when the rating goes up the player starts getting more weaponry, more support types and eventually manual mission selection (Hasn't been fully tested yet).

Units now get a higher skill level depending on how many kills and side experience, this includes the players squad so it's a good idea to keep them alive!

Added enemy AI artillery

Added airstrike

Removed the strings and converted over to arrays

Friendly groups join player in POW mission and then leave the group<---no mean feat!

Fixed numerous mission bugs on the way

Fixed Raid mission

Fixed Assault mission

Fixed POW mission

Added spawning armour to some missions

Got the BAS_dodge script working by slightly cheating, the chopper moves but the missile rapidly increases its' speed, reducing the chance of it hitting.

Added difficulty option. Easy has more cutscenes, less/worse enemy forces, more/better friendly forces, less missions and will start with at least 3 patrol missions to give the player a chance to build up their rating. Hard is harder :-D

Added distance message to chopper and tank support options to give the player a clue how much longer he may have to wait

Fixed CTD when respawned player units were given a move order :P.

Added easy variables to the open dialog script

0.91d

Added markers to support scripts to follow choppers or tanks

Changed rearm and reinforce scripts titletext to hints

AA dudes will only spawn after 3 missions

Set player group as non-playable to stop problems with team switching

Removed actions from base units and use triggers to add to player instead

@xxbbcc

Quote[/b] ]

For the manual/automatic mission selection, couldn't you add a window with two buttons at teh beginning of the mission and then save the selected value?

Yep, not in this version though I'm afraid. I'll work on that one but I'd rather get this version up asap because there's a lot of bug fixes, probably a lot of new bugs too!

Quote[/b] ]I had a hero rating of 1438 when I stopped playing. The enemy had a morale of -76.

That's way higher than I've accounted for so we'll have to see what happens in this version. But you would have got manual mission selection. wink_o.gif

Thanks again for the feedback

Cheers

I get an error at the start of the new Version with ArmA 1.5 saying:

"{[_x} |#|joinsilent p1_grp} foreach {p2,p3,p4,p5,..."

Error Missing ;

And the rest of my Squad are ungrouped

Howerver it does work in version 1.7

Quote[/b] ]I get an error at the start of the new Version with ArmA 1.5 saying:

Oops, forgot to mention you need 1.06 or above for this now. Joinsilent is a new command to stop the annoying "2, follow 1" radio commands.

Cheers

Hello i have been away from this Post for a while, so whats is this dynamic campaign all about? i played the very first version but these new versions seem very different. Personally i remember being in cojntrol of a squad, will there be a version in the future where the AI handles the squad? since i find Constroling a squad too time consuming, fiddly, and a great danger to your survival.

Sweet good job MrN!

I'll give it a try tomorrow with 1.08 smile_o.gif

thumbs-up.gifyay.gifthumbs-up.gifyay.gifthumbs-up.gif

Some issues I have with the latest version:

-Why do you get 20 round magazines instead of 30 round magazines?

-Why do your teammates get those Soviet grenades instead of standard issue M67 frag grenades?

-The radio never shows up on my map

Hello there,

Well, now i have 1.08 (ive been playing with 1.05 and having to play solo smile_o.gif ) Great stuff!

I also played this with the XAM mod, and that made an amazing experience. Hopefully their 1.08 will be out soon so I caan combine once again.

@Kilo1-1

If your radio does not appear, then use the standard key control to access the command radio. ie hit "0" then "0" then choose the option you require.

Rgds

LoK

Hi

First of all, great job on dynamic war, it's awesome, keep up the good work.

I just had an idea that would add a little to the atmosphere in my opinion. Why not integrate some sort of insurgency in civilian outfits and stuff and maybe some IEDs. Picture going through a town in a hmmwv when suddenly you get ambushed by a group of three insurgents or so before you can continue.

Just a thought there from my side.

junior_g

Little but annoying bug: I did a POW mission way out in the base to the North and when I called for extraction the helicopter never extracted me. It just flew 170 meters above me. :/

Quote[/b] ]It just flew 170 meters above me

A couple of other people have reported this too. banghead.gif

I'll try and muster up some motivation to fix the bugs I'm aware of.

The balancing of missions and difficulty needs working on too but it should be more "robust" than the last public version anyway!

Cheers

Yeah its much much better now notworthy.gifthumbs-up.gif

Just need that extraction bug fixed and it will rawk!

@junior_g

Cheers. It would be tricky to implement something like that but it may be possible. I've just added APC support which can also be used as transport instead of the chopper so this would come into play more if I can pull it off.

@Jack-UK

Quote[/b] ]its much much better now

Good good!

@SHWiiNG

Quote[/b] ]where the AI handles the squad?

Sorry, missed your post. Nope, not a chance! There's too much going on to expect the AI to do it. Certainly by me anyway wink_o.gif

@Kilo1-1

Quote[/b] ]-Why do you get 20 round magazines instead of 30 round magazines?

-Why do your teammates get those Soviet grenades instead of standard issue M67 frag grenades?

-The radio never shows up on my map

1) To keep you on your toes to begin with. Improve your rating and this will quickly go up to 30rd mags.

2)My bad, although I thought I was just adding handgrenade

3)Not my fault, I don't think anyway. As orlok suggests though you can still use the radio from the 0-0-etc

Also, I think I've solved the chopper extraction whistle.gif

Cheers

Ahh thats good news! biggrin_o.gif

Looking forward to the next version xmas_o.gif

Hi there,

Just wondering if there was any news about the save game issue.

Just being impatient here wink_o.gif sorry.

It's just such an awesome mission wow_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Just wondering if there was any news about the save game issue.

Nope, sorry but at the moment it's beyond me. In-game resumes seem ok it's just if AA is quit and restarted there's a problem. Very frustrating. Kronzky seems to be making progress on his conversion of Evolution so hopefully he may have some tips.

I'll post an update in the next day or two with some new toys and tweaks in.

Cheers

Quote[/b] ]Just wondering if there was any news about the save game issue.

Nope, sorry but at the moment it's beyond me. In-game resumes seem ok it's just if AA is quit and restarted there's a problem. Very frustrating. Kronzky seems to be making progress on his conversion of Evolution so hopefully he may have some tips.

I'll post an update in the next day or two with some new toys and tweaks in.

Cheers

I have finally decided to post this save game problem on the bug tracker. It is No 2688. Please vote for this to get BIS to finally fix it.

Quote[/b] ]I have finally decided to post this save game problem on the bug tracker

Nice one, a good tip from xxbbcc too. Will vote as soon as my login is sorted out.

Update

0.91e

Added APC support which (in theory) can be used as an alternative to chopper extractions

Organised Radio calls

Fixed Extraction ...maybe and added marker so the player can track its' progress.

Added ammocrate script to spawned apcs's

Delayed APC deletion until purge

Tweaked skill levels, player group skill starts much lower.

Added a no effects option to disable all scripted special effects (blood\gunsmoke\rotorwash) and focus\bulletcam options for the realism junkies. I'm also curious to see if this helps with the savegame. (NB-it doesn't)

Fixed markers changing colour if support units destroyed

Removed distance hints, no point with markers!

Purge wasn't finishing properly

Added enemy groups spawning from Base locations that will randomly move to other base locations although this is disabled in the no effects version.

Mainbase and the other 2 base troops and armour gets respawned after missions.

Tweaked chicken script

Fixed assault location select

Tweaked ambush locations

Added infantry support, call them in the same way as the apc's, tanks etc

Removed savegame option, it will now happen automatically between missions, please wait until the savegame completes before choosing another mission, I'd suggest using this time to rearm and regroup.

Moved apc spawn location

Increased rating level to get manual mission selection

Sorted ammo crates at minibases

Fixed mission failed in mission choice, mission would "break".

Fixed insertion stopped working after 4/5 missions

Put even more variables into an array and made all _local name calls in spawning scripts global. Savegame goes down another 1mb...

Tried to limit AA loons to one a group

Fixed Reinforced AI now spawn with low skill

Added Insertion can now be a para drop.

Went back to _local calls for everything including group names in the War Against Variables

Removed UPS for the time being for the same reason

Slightly tweaked intro

Got down to 214 variables at first save, aiming to be under the 240-ish limit and it still CTD's. Meh. Although, certainly early on the save will survive a restart of AA which is progress.

Cheers