Sign in to follow this  
mrn

Dynamic War

oh Mr N,

I also love the fact that one only has 3 saves per mission, makes it much more ofp, IMHO.

I remember how much more fun/frustrating OFP was before I found out how to have more than one save per mission.

Still, it did make you feel you achieved alot when you did get through!

I think 3 per mission is plenty. Stops spray and pray mentality.

rgds

LoK

Is anybody else getting a corrupt file warning when trying to extract 0.91b?

Quote[/b] ]Any thoughts of making this Coop? Is that even possible? Would really expand the fun of it IMO

I had no intention of making this Coop when I first started. I just wanted a "project" to tinker with. What I found appealing about AA was the scale of things and despite playing OFP from the beginning I was just starting to get my head round the scripting thing in OFP towards the end of its life so AA was a new sandpit to play about in, which is where the Focus thing came from.

I only tried it in MP after Coligip said he'd tried it and when I did, the whole thing fell apart. I had assumed whacking ?!(local Server): exit at the front of every script would fix everything and then found myself in the world of local to the player and local to the server and finding it trickier than I'd thought. I will try to do something to make it more playable in MP but I can't guarantee it, particularly as I see there's quirks with setpos on a dedicated. That could cause me pain shifting all the game logics about.

@Fusion

Hopefully you've got it running now but as Orlok suggests you have to go and use the action "Get/End Mission" on the commander directly opposite where you start. BTW if you want to go and stir something up go and have a look at the bases where the smaller red markers are. smile_o.gif

@Orlok

I thought 3 was a good number too! Although I am a bit wary of using the savegame, it is nowhere near as stable as I'd like.

@MehMan

If you still have problems let me know, I guess you've tried both links?

To anyone that has played it before, any opinions on the dialog vs random mission choice? It was a bit of a last minute addition but due to the addition of the "Hero" rating and the reliance of support I quite liked choosing a few Patrol missions to build up my kill count so I had more support on the bigger missions.

Cheers

smile_o.gif

Ah, the yousendit link works! Wanna check out the new version. Just had loads of fun with the old one. Forgot how much I really love dynamic missions. Also makes me want to be able to control more squads :P.

Quote[/b] ]control more squads

Ack, don't start me on that one... banghead.gif

wink_o.gif

Hehe, I won't, I won't. It's just an idea I like to toy with in my head now that you can control more than 12 people.

One thing on the new version: please please please don't allow selecting missions. It just takes the fun out of it all. The thing I loved with dynamic missions was that you never knew what you were going to get and that made them truly dynamic and realistic too(at least in a way).

What do the others think about this?

Quote[/b] ]How does one "Choose an LZ on the map" exactly?

Press "M" to bring up the map unless you've changed the key then click on the map where you want to land. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]please please please don't allow selecting missions.

Oh,hmmm. whistle.gif Maybe because I've played it so much I got bored of the "oh god not THAT mission again". I know where you're coming from but it was my plan to let the player have more control over the mission selection.

Hello

perhaps let the player have more control of mission choices after a few sucessful mishes.

Ranks perhaps?

rgds

LoK

Quote[/b] ]perhaps let the player have more control of mission choices after a few sucessful mishes.

I think orlok could have the best idea for it, it'll be like getting promoted where you then have (like the support options) better choices of mission ( i can see you with your head in your hands going guys gimme a rest  nener.gif ) but the spontanious missions ie defend or pow could still have a % chance of occuring like you have done ie "We don't have time for your planned mission, our ice cream van has been taken hostage and it's 35 degrees, you have an LZ"

It'll help with the overall feel of the mission and keep you on your toes as it will remain random to a degree.

Cheerybye

Bootleg

Thank you so much MrN. The DynaWar variants were my favorite thing to do in OFP.

I only wish that missions were assigned rather than chosen. Is it possible to make a version like this, or would it be something hard for us to change if we wanted to crack open the pbo and do it ourselves?

Again, thanks much!

K, I'll go back to assigned missions. I quite fancy the idea of changing over when the player reaches "X" level. It's deciding on "X" that's the challenge!

I need a break for a day or two and am busy with R/L but I'll have a punt on the weekend and see what I can come up with.

The more I think about controlling more squads the more I'm thinking I can adapt the current POW mission to add the dudes to the players' control. Maybe when "X" level is reached. Another thought is that when the whole mission is due to end, a one off mass assault on an enemy base is called for instead of just ending when the missions are selected.

Also just noticed the AI manager from sickboy so I'm going to investigate that to see if I can liven up the island a bit.

By the way any suggestions for more mission ideas gratefully received either here or by PM. Doesn't matter how stupid they may seem (apart from an ice cream van wink_o.gif), it may spark an idea off that I can use.

Thanks, I look forward to further versions of this.

hello there

keep up good work!

glad to see paras in now.

i thought Arma was real life?

anyhow, take your time, and get back to a great campaign when you ready.

as far as sp goes it's great.

i'll bombard you with  more suggestions soon

rgds

lok

ps pls excuse mistakes, doing this on phone... me addicted to arma? nah....um maybee

Is anybody else getting a corrupt file warning when trying to extract 0.91b?

Yes, me.

Thx for the reply MrN. I'll restart the campaign once I'll be able to get the file properly.

I love this campaign but i get CTD !!!

I choose patrol as first mission to get some skills/experience and the first time I called in evac when I was told the objective was done,

when i heard the chopper approaching after some seconds the game CTD.

the second patrol (i didnt save so had to restart),

i was patroling near and in the city of Cayo, lz was nw of cayo in the desert with oilpumps so i could go around the move into the AO from the southwest

here i encountered and took out an enemy group, i reached the objective marker but got no objective done,

so i continued into the town and then after sometime a vehicle was spotted 500m north (on the road)

it turned out to be a friendly(i hope) humwee (M2) moving towards Cayo and the game crashed as it got closer.

Im not really sure what it was doing there or why the game crash, whenever other units gets closer to the AO im in the game CTD (my guess only).

Is there anyway to fix this?

@ Orlok and MrN

Doh, never went near any huts wow_o.gif

will try again

Thanks

Quote[/b] ]I love this campaign but i get CTD !!!

I choose patrol as first mission to get some skills/experience and the first time I called in evac when I was told the objective was done,

when i heard the chopper approaching after some seconds the game CTD.

the second patrol (i didnt save so had to restart),

Hi TheRocket, done this mission many times and not had that CTD so it may not be mission related, (but there are many many variables so can't know for sure) try and reproduce the CTD if you can so we know for sure.

Quote[/b] ]so i continued into the town and then after sometime a vehicle was spotted 500m north (on the road)

it turned out to be a friendly(i hope) humwee (M2) moving towards Cayo and the game crashed as it got closer.

Im not really sure what it was doing there or why the game crash, whenever other units gets closer to the AO im in the game CTD (my guess only).

Yes the hummer is meant to be there, if you notice at the start of the campaign there is lots of Armour and vehicles at the airport, some of these (inc hummers) are set to patrol the whole south of the island on guard mode, so if they hear and detect fighting they make a B-Line to help you out and intercept, (can be V useful).

Try to check your not getting CTD's on other parts of ArmA ie other missions or multiplayer, otherwise try to reproduce some and see if there is a pattern.

Best regards

Bootleg biggrin_o.gif

Hi bootleg,

The CTD was caused by my very instable system, so not mission or arma specific, its just my system that sucks at times,

but it works very well now. one question tho, I choosed assault mission and my objective changes whenever i reach them to somewhere far away,

am I supposed to walk thoose distances?

Thanks for a great mission ! I love it!

Thx Bootleg.

@TheRocket

The Search and Destroy location will move when you get there and yes you have to walk to where the marker changes to. It's not that far and there should be plenty of stuff to keep you busy.

You may get a CTD when loading a savegame but you shoudn't be getting CTD's when vehicles arrive. At least, I don't think that one's my fault. wink_o.gif

@Fu$ion

Doh! I specifically put a scene explaining what you have to do at the end of the intro. The instructions are basic but I don't want to give too much away. smile_o.gif

There will be another beta coming up in the next day or two hopefully but I may be distracted a little due to having 2 job interviews in one day on Monday. crazy_o.gif

Well, it IS far for walking, last time I played i suddenly got 1 fps, and not sure why, anyway i managed to get back to base with my

extraction chopper, 1fps all the way to base from south of northen

sahrani, i killed the officer in Raid mission and the new objective

was set to northen sahrani, but i will continue and keep downing them, but for how long? is it a random

Anyway lets hope your interviews goes good smile_o.gif

Cheers for this cool mission.

I've got an issue with this: Whenever I try and quit (after saving using the radio), I hit Escape, and then hit Abort...the game autosaves...which, of course, causes a CTD when I try and reload it.

How do I get around this?

It should be possible to end/abort a mission even if there was no success.

I had a raid mission in Bagango, searched for the officer for several hours and couldn't find him. When back to base the CO always tells me to get back to mission.

A bug: choppers, when unloading the squad take off immediately then come back down for a second and then take off normally. Strange.

I've got an issue with this: Whenever I try and quit (after saving using the radio), I hit Escape, and then hit Abort...the game autosaves...which, of course, causes a CTD when I try and reload it.

How do I get around this?

Theres a workaround which I use 'to be on the safe side'.

After saving with the radio, look straight down and fire a nade or something, alternatively kill some on your side, go nuts biggrin_o.gif and when the "your dead" screen appears, choose abort smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Theres a workaround which I use 'to be on the safe side'.

After saving with the radio, look straight down and fire a nade or something, alternatively kill some on your side, go nuts  and when the "your dead" screen appears, choose abort

Thats a novel way of doing it must remember  that tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]I had a raid mission in Bagango, searched for the officer for several hours and couldn't find him. When back to base the CO always tells me to get back to mission.

There are one or two probs with this version with enemies spawning, MrN knows and is fixing (fixed), should be fine for next version.

Quote[/b] ]A bug: choppers, when unloading the squad take off immediately then come back down for a second and then take off normally. Strange.

Yeah i'm looking at that to, it's odd because the script for controlling that choppers quite brutal and also seems to have gotten worse over time which again is wierd cause it's the same script  crazy_o.gif

Best regards

Bootleg biggrin_o.gif