Sign in to follow this  
mrn

Dynamic War

first I'm glad to see you still working on this fantastic project.

second I know it's definitely a bug from BIS with the savegame issue.

I decided to try to run the mission without saving, just leave the computer on when playing and look how long it lasts smile_o.gif

also wanted to say thanks for this mission. Focus/relax should be in more missions, including retrofitting the sp ones included with the main game. cheers! yay.gif

what exactly is the purpose of focus/relax?

It is somewhat like bullet time from max payne game series...slows down the action so you can play through tense periods with steady aim and enjoy more carnage...

ah ok, I that's what I found out by myself

I thought it had any other special purpose

Honestly, I don't like this feature, or exactly the fact that the word "focus" is permanently on the screen because this function is always availible.

@MrN could you please somehow move this action to the action menu "0" so that it disappears from the screen?

Also another suggestion:

Could you make the option to call special forces? I know there is the option to call infantry, but it could be another feature like seals coming by boat from the shore i.e. What do you think?

oh, and BTW the 0.91e version runs very smooth and stable, I enjoyed it yesterday for about 2 hours with no probs. Looks like you're improving Dynamic War very well!

@KenO

Glad you like it. I love the Focus option personally. I've been playing with this mission for so long now I find it quite odd playing other missions without it!

Quote[/b] ]@MrN could you please somehow move this action to the action menu "0" so that it disappears from the screen?

If you select the No FX option at the start the Focus/Relax/Bulletcam options won't be there at all. smile_o.gif

I thought of making the Infantry a SF squad instead but have resisted because to be effective this support option needs to be a decent size squad and having 12 SF loons dropping in doesn't feel right. I could do a boat insertion but whenever I've played with boats the AI seems painfully stupid at disembarking, also the majority of the time they could be a bit useless because it would take too long for them to arrive.

Quote[/b] ]BTW the 0.91e version runs very smooth and stable,

Relieved to hear it, a lot of work has gone into this version so it's good that it runs well.

FWIW I would also highly recommend the Truview mod:

Linky

Very much feels "right"

Cheers

Nice work MrN!

And the savegame bug is assigned to Suma so fingers crossed it will be fixed soon! smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]@MrN could you please somehow move this action to the action menu "0" so that it disappears from the screen?

If you select the No FX option at the start the Focus/Relax/Bulletcam options won't be there at all. smile_o.gif

FWIW I would also highly recommend the Truview mod:

Linky

Very much feels "right"

Cheers

ahh ok,

I thought FX is kinda different explosions, or other effects.

And yes of course I'm using @TrueView mod, this is a must!

I've been a lurker for a while but I registered to give my thanks and hopefully help out a little bit.

I think some guys already know how to do this, but for those that don't, I found a way to restore saved games after exiting ArmA. It requires alt-tab(ing) out of Arma, but it worked for me so far:

1. the saved games are kept in: my documents/ArmA/saved/missions/dynamish.sara...there should be 2 or 3 armasave files here. open this folder.

2.copy the files autosave.armasave and save.armasave to the desktop or whereever.I'll give a quick disc. of these files:

autosave.armasave is the autosave when you start dynamic war and the save from the radio.

save.armasave is the pause menu save.

continue.armasave is the save the game makes when you abort. it doesn't work with dynamic war because resume doesn't work because of a game bug.

3.keep the folder open and start ArmA. go to dynamic war and RESTART (say ok). this will erase all saves in the folder, which is why you copied them out of there. pick the difficulty you had before and let the mission autosave.

4.Alt-tab out of ArmA and look at your folder, there should be an autosave.arma (don't worry about weapons file,leave it alone) copy the 2 files you moved earlier back into the folder overwriting the new autosave.arma.

5.you can close the folder now...go back into the game and hit ESC...you should be able to LOAD. this will load any pause menu save you made...it has always worked for me. Of course this beats the intention of the radio save limitation...so if you want to use that, we'll have to rely on your own honor and follow the next step...

6.To load the radio save you have to die. you can do this right after you restarted in the previous step if you like. The easiest way is to go to the humvee with mk19 (god I love that weapon) and fire away at the fuel tank with humvee right next to it...bye bye! Load Auto will reload the autosave.

I hope this helps and I hope I haven't reprinted what someone already figured out...

I've also messed around with the mission, making an OPFOR version, although I still haven't had the guts to actually move the base and triggers around to the correct part of the island. I've changed the vehicles and included vilas' troops and weapons, also have a US rangers version using someone

s add-on can't remember who right now. It's all pretty easy once you figure out how everything works.

This game rocks and this mission rocks...thanks MrN

Cheers for the tips shinden1. There's something similar in the readme but you've gone into a bit more detail, so thanks and glad you're enjoying it.

If you can come up with a suitably different version based on the latest release then be my guest. I'm getting weary of investing so much time into it and I think it's getting near the point where I can consider it done, although I'm sure I can still fiddle with stuff when bored. wink_o.gif

If you want any help with it PM me.

Cheers

How do I get the squad to follow me? I have only been getting the patrol mission at first. ( I keep crashing all the time, just think its Arma though cause it crashes on me alot) anyway after I get the patrol mission then it tells me to go talk to a pilot. I do then there is like a 10 minute short film watching me take off then i'm dropped off all by myself. Is this how its supposed to be? no squad mates at all? Can I just drive there instead of taking a chopper?

Hello there,

What version of Arma are you running?

The latest versions require 1.08 or you will have to play solo smile_o.gif.

I actually prefer it, s your squad really seems to be made of high school dropouts. (I know, I'm crediting them too much intelligence smile_o.gif )

Get updated to 1.08 ant your squad will atomatically be ferried to the LZ with you.

Also the "cut scene" cinematic should e fairly short, and def not 10 mins.

You can drive/walk/fly to your destination if you wish, although flying is a nice quick way.

Rgds

LoK

Love the update. smile_o.gif

Couple of bugs:

-After around 7 missions my squad still had the standard loadout (M4 w/ 20 round mags). When is this supposed to change?

-Once you choose your LZ or paradrop location and don't select it on the map and you choose LZ or paradrop again you are unable to put your LZ or paradrop location on the map.

-After one mission the evac chopper flew back to base for about 200m and then stopped. Every 45 seconds after this the chopper did a nose dive and then stopped when it ran out of momentum. This continued for around 10 minutes game time until it finally got out of this and flew back to base normally.

-The friendly Cobras you can call in never stay at the location you called them to.

The cut scenes dont really make a problem for me... at the start you can skip it by hitting space twice...

And when u board the choppers you have to wait until the chopper reaches its LZ anyway, so the cutscene shouldnt pose a problem.

It could be more elaborate, but if it aint broke, dont fix it, its pretty good as it is, and its a very minor issue.

Still enjoying the map! thumbs-up.gif

Played this mission last night for hours and had a lot of fun!

Now I'm stuck on a Assault mission. in the mission book it says, this kind of mission is accomplished when less than 10 enemies are left. I'm driving now the whole area with tanks and humvees for hours, couldn't find any enemies, RTB and the commander still tells me the mission is not finished!

I would suggest, that when this mission is generated, it would create a marker zone on the map, and as soon as there are less than 10 enemies within this zone the mission is accomplished. (Allowing enemies to flee)

@MrN

A question concerning the artillery used by the enemy. In the mission I described above I found three D-30 cannons and destroyed them. Still I get bombed! Is the artillery used by the AI just scripted or does the enemy really fire by cannons? If so, do the cannons just fire blindly or does some of the AI enemies have to "tell" the cannons where to fire? I mean does the AI have to be in LOS?

Hmm are you using the latest version Kroky? AFAIK those assault mission bugs were solved in the last update...

But there mite still be one or two around i guess...

And im pretty sure pretty much 99.9% of artillery in ArmA is scripted as getting the AI to use 'true' artillery by using the D30s is prettymuch impossible sad_o.gif But im sure that MrN could stick an alive check in the script if he wanted to, and if they arent alive then disable the artillery script.

I'm using 0.91e. hope this is the latest version.

yep it is... so i guess its another mission bug

Now I could accomplish this mission!

But something really funny happend! Listen to this:

My objective was to Assault a terrorist camp in Tandag. After fierce fighting with Tanks, Choppers, Infantry I cleared all.

Scavenged two tanks from a satellite base and drove around to find the rest of the enemies because the mission was not finished. Hours....hours (at least 3)

But then! I found a base in Alcazar (!wink_o.gif, look on the map how far it is. Full of BRDM's and UAZ's with AGS-30. And I mean full! About 20 vehicles standing around and a lot of soldiers.

Call an artillery strike on the base - and - voila mission accomplished! Very strange, but really fun! Totally unexpected evolving of the mission. Really great!

I guess, somehow the marker was set on the wrong location.

@Hiddnfox

Quote[/b] ]How do I get the squad to follow me? I have only been getting the patrol mission at first.

As orlok pointed out you may need to update your AA version, this mission requires at least 1.06 for this mission to work properly (note to self, need to look at requiredversion command). If you select easy you will always begin with patrol missions, at the most 3, this should give you the opportunity to score some kills to build up your rating to improve weapon selection, change friendly/enemy skill and friendly/enemy numbers. I guess (hope) that everyone will have a slightly different experience due to these factors, the more aggressive and successful players will get the better toys and dominate the enemy quicker. Conversely it could quite easily be the opposite where the enemy gains the upperhand and missions start to get quite tricky.

Quote[/b] ]

( I keep crashing all the time, just think its Arma though cause it

crashes on me alot) anyway after I get the patrol mission then it tells me to go talk to a pilot. I do then there is like a 10 minute short film watching me take off then i'm dropped off all by myself.

What probably happened is you accidentally clicked the focus action as well as clicking for the pilot so everything went to slow motion, if this happens using the action selection for relax and all will go back to normal.

Quote[/b] ]Is this how its supposed to be? no squad mates at all?

No, see above smile_o.gif

Btw you can drive if you like or use the APC's.

@orlok

Quote[/b] ]I actually prefer it, your squad really seems to be made of high school dropouts. (I know, I'm crediting them too much intelligence smile_o.gif )

Don't forget newly spawned units are recruits so need baby-sitting until they've killed a few bad guys and they're more hardcore. smile_o.gif

@Kilo1-1

Quote[/b] ]After around 7 missions my squad still had the standard loadout (M4 w/ 20 round mags). When is this supposed to change?

Your rating needs to go up before you get new toys as explained above. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]-Once you choose your LZ or paradrop location and don't select it on the map and you choose LZ or paradrop again you are unable to put your LZ or paradrop location on the map.

Meh, forgot about that one, thanks.

Quote[/b] ]-After one mission the evac chopper flew back to base for about 200m and then stopped. Every 45 seconds after this the chopper did a nose dive and then stopped when it ran out of momentum. This continued for around 10 minutes game time until it finally got out of this and flew back to base normally.

Hmmm, not sure what happened there, has anyone else experienced this?

Quote[/b] ]The friendly Cobras you can call in never stay at the location you called them to.

Ya, I'm in 2 minds about that, the choppers not staying still means that they're less likely to be sitting ducks but it also means thay have a habit of flying into trouble too early. I'll have a play with stopping them and see how it works.

Cheers for the feedback though, much appreciated.

@Jack-UK

Quote[/b] ]And when u board the choppers you have to wait until the chopper reaches its LZ anyway, so the cutscene shouldnt pose a problem.

My thinking exactly. smile_o.gif The only thing is now, with more support options to play with it can be a little frustrating to get chucked in the chopper on a S&D misson without the chance to get anything going. However, if it proves a problem to anyone they can always play on Hard and you'll have no cutscenes. smile_o.gif

And nice catch on the artillery, that had completely slipped my mind.

@Kroky

Quote[/b] ]A question concerning the artillery used by the enemy. In the mission I described above I found three D-30 cannons and destroyed them. Still I get bombed! Is the artillery used by the AI just scripted or does the enemy really fire by cannons? If so, do the cannons just fire blindly or does some of the AI enemies have to "tell" the cannons where to fire? I mean does the AI have to be in LOS?

The arty is a bit of a cheat, it's done by a detected by trigger and there are 2 x 3 groups of arty on the island. I'm amazed you found them! What I'd like to eventually do is a destroy their artillery mission and defend your artillery position mission. I keep getting sidetracked with stuff to fix before I get the chance to do new missions.

Quote[/b] ]I would suggest, that when this mission is generated, it would create a marker zone on the map, and as soon as there are less than 10 enemies within this zone the mission is accomplished. (Allowing enemies to flee)

That's a good idea, it creates a failsafe for when the scaredy loons flee away.

Quote[/b] ]But then! I found a base in Alcazar (!wink_o.gif, look on the map how far it is. Full of BRDM's and UAZ's with AGS-30. And I mean full! About 20 vehicles standing around and a lot of soldiers.

Call an artillery strike on the base - and - voila mission accomplished! Very strange, but really fun! Totally unexpected evolving of the mission. Really great!

I guess, somehow the marker was set on the wrong location.

Glad you managed to finish the mission and it provided some entertainment! But I think I know what happened here...

If you had been playing the game for a while I'm guessing the enemies tendency to flee was going up so there may be a group of them legged it away somewhere stopping you from completing the mission.

However, there are 12 groups, some of which have vehicles, spawning at base locations and moving to other random base locations. It sounds like a few of these have

got caught up or are just plain dumb and stopped moving. Because I'm using the same score method with these loons their death meant end of mission. It would be useful if you could let me know the stats of the game so I can tweak things a little.

More stuff to fiddle with...

smile_o.gif

Cheers

thumbs-up.gif

The stats already changed as I went on to next missions:

Now they are:

enemy morale: 208

enemy popularity: 300

enemy experience: 49

friendly morale: 578

hero rating: 100

friendly experience: 790

missions played: 5

rating: 17900

I didn't find in the readme the explanation of this values. Can you explain how the influence the mission?

Hi MrN,

Just like to add my thanks to the others for your work on this mission. I've played it way more then any other even thought I keep getting my arse kicked on anything other then 'patrol' missions! Keep practising...

The fact that things seem to happen naturally and don't seem 'scripted' (which is probably due to good scripting!wink_o.gif really adds to replayability and is more in the spirit of Ofp/ArmA rather then, say Call of Duty or suchlike.

Having just upgraded to version e, I have a problem. I've been using the alt-tab 'copy your savegames back it to your folder' trick for some time now but it's suddenly stopped working and I've lost my progress. Could it be because I got tired of my M4 and robbed a load of good gear from the base down the road for my squad?

Also, will the enemy artillery be quite as deadly as before? I find our missiles too innacurate to be useful (I can live with that) but enemy arty responds within a few seconds and is deadly accurate! As soon as I hear the incoming roar I'm reaching for the 'reload' sequence.

'Nuff respeck, though. Keep it up.

MrN,

Thanks for the updates, I like the changes that you made.

I do have a problem with the terrorist base mission: I cleaned up the entire neighbourhood where the mission marker was, but the mission still doesn't end - I ran around quite a bit, but I don't seem to find more enemies.

I upoaded the save game here, if you want to see if it's a bug (maybe I messed up something?): Link

HTH,

xxbbcc

PS: I used the ModWarSound and TrueView addons when playing, you might need those to open the file.

read some posts above xxbbcc

I had exactly the same problem, and I solved it!

Kroky,

I did, but I don't think that's a solution, it's more like a bug-turned-lucky (you yourself said "it was very strange.) confused_o.gif

I don't think it's fun to spend 3+ hours driving around on an empty island to hunt down some enemies (I don't even know if I'm looking for a single one or an entire squad or even several of them.)

On this mission I ran into a problem with ammo: the default loadout might be good for the patrol missions, but it's not enough for the terrorist base: all my men (including me, too) ran out of ammo. I can try to be very conservative but the friendly AI won't and they loose ammo at a high rate. Fortunately I started using the trucks instead of helicopter insertion (no cutscene smile_o.gif ), so I had some extra 30rd Stranag-s, but otherwise I would've failed the mission, because it would've been impossible to gather any enemy weapons - they were too far away. This mission really needs more resupply options, because right now the only way is to go back to the base.

It's a nice mission, but it'd make it a lot better if these things were ironed out.

I also have a request, that I forgot to mention in my previous post (but I believe someone already did): let's get rid of the in-game cutscenes. They look nice for the first few times, but quicly become tiring to watch them over and over again. I mostly prefer not to have any cutscenes in a mission (unless I can immediately save right after so I don't have to watch it again.) From what MrN wrote I assume that they're not there in veteran mode and in cadet mode they feel like a punishment. (I haven't tried veteran mode yet, since the enemy AI still shoots with perfect accuracy from 500m+ - I really don't need more of that. I already gave up on tweaking it, doesn't seem to change much.)