Sign in to follow this  
tophe

5.1 surround in ArmA?

Oh yeah and I have had the Zalman 5.1 headphones for about 2 years now. They're so great that I gave 4 of them out as gifts last XMas. They don't have mics so I had to use a glue gun to attach mics from cheap $6 headsets.

--Ben

All I really wanted to know was if ArmA supports real 5.1.

Do you have 5.1 soundcard in your laptop?

(for the rest of the discussion: I have a pair of icemat 2.0 and a x-fi xtrememusic, and its much better than my zalman 5.1. Both soundquality and the ability to hear and pinpoint directional sounds.)

In my expierence of the game if something happens behind you then it sounds like its behind you, likewise if something is distant and to the left it sounds like it is. I use a Medusa 5.1 Surround sound headset and have also used the new Soundblaster X-Fi, and I must say the Soundcard makes more of a difference, what with clearer quality sound, but the Medusa headset is by far the best headphones I have ever used.

So in answer to your question yes it does smile_o.gif

Oh yeah and I have had the Zalman 5.1 headphones for about 2 years now. They're so great that I gave 4 of them out as gifts last XMas. They don't have mics so I had to use a glue gun to attach mics from cheap $6 headsets.

--Ben

you buy better sound cards to enjoy the sounds of the zombies! when they stand right behind you and scare the crap out of you! biggrin_o.gif

I only use this and im quite happy with the surround i have.

I don't have any extra sound cards. I use a onboard one.

[imghttp://geizhals.at/img/pix/64940img]

cost me <s>30€</s> 20€ (i confirmed with pappers) 2 years ago.

works perfectly  tounge2.gif

PS- Can someone explain me why buy better sound cards and head sets?!

edit: by the way the phones are MDR-ED21LP, for those who want to know.

My ears always hurt after awhile with those type of duds.

Do you guys think this would do well along with Creative Labs X-FI?

http://www.plantronics.com/north_a....5500015

I never tried them but they look rather dodgy, sure they'll sound good, until you try something better. But with a USB connection your completely taking the sound card out of the equation, so an X-Fi will make no difference. What you should do is if possible go into an audio store and just try on a lot of different pairs. Amplification, equalizer and bass controls will GREATLY increase the sound quality so you can't always judge what will be the best when tweaked. But generally what you should do is find the most comfortable and best sounding/clearest set of headphones and then muck with the bass/equalizer (if the playback equipment has it) and listen for absolute clarity and smooth bass. Getting lots and lots of bass is not a problem on something like an X-Fi, but getting very sharp crisp and high quality sound is a different matter so thats what you should go for over pure bass.

And for gods sake if you bring your own source equipment don't use rap, get something with a playback frequency higher than 50hz

This is what I have http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/index.p....83;pt;1 they NEED a high end sound card like the X-Fi because they draw so much power and need the bass boost. But dunno where that pricetag came from, got mine for $200AUD ($160 USD). Give them a try if theres any in the shops.

i havent tried the medusa series yet, but i have tried two other types. i cant even remember the types,(a year ago) maybe ill try the medusa at some point.

yeah they worked, but for the cost and the lack of really sounding kick ass.... it was worth keeping my "virtual 5.1" headphones.

"RAZER" (sp?) (as in the gaming boomslang/diamondback mouse makers) has new 6.1 headphones out.. i might try those just to see what technology brings.

I have just tried the Medusa 5.1 HOME system (with separate jacks not USB)  I read that USB headphones are not recommended because its quite possible to blow the USB power circuits if they draw too much current.  [Don't flame me if you have some and they work fine.  I just read that in a review and a separate post in a forum where this happened to someone.]

I also chose the "Home" version because its possible to use with my DTS DVD cinema system.

I'm using onboard sound (Realtek HD) and the 5.1 audio demo works well in the sound card software but 5.1 does NOT work in ARMA!

I have just ordered the X-Fi gamer so we'll see if thats better. As mentioned in previous posts the X-Fi can simulate 3d sound with standard stereo headphones so I will soon be able to compare this effect and real 5.1 heaphones.

Stay tuned...

5.1 does NOT work in ARMA!

Yeah it does...

I have an X-Fi Extreme Music and 5.1 Headset also a Creative 5.1 Surround Sound System set in my room.

Headset Pros and Cons

:Pros

- Doesn't annoy everyone in the house when blasting music/arma

- Surround Sound Effects are really good (not as good as the full room setup)

:Cons

- If you wear glasses they can hurt your ears with the big headphone thingys making your glasses dig into your ears

- For some reason after wearing them for an hour or two i start to feel dizzy.

:conclusion

- I personally use normal headphones and use surround sound from my card which is great but for the headphone have that lil bit better quality they go a-bit strange after using them for an hour but i don't no if thats just me although i don't get it with the normal headphones or surround sound setup throughout my room. Also if you have glasses they may hurt.

Hope it helps  smile_o.gif

5.1 sound works in ArmA without any problems on my Audigy2.

The only con is that i have to turn down the volume of the sub when playing late at night more than i have to turn down th overall volume.

1 x700 Watt stereo car HiFi subwoofer powered by an TEAC A-X 5000 amplifier makes to much noise.

It really work`s, believe it or not. wink_o.gif

I have my X-fi connected to a 5.1 receiver\amp (which is set to DD 5.1). Surround works wonderfully for me.

The front, rear and sub channels work perfectly. I don't have a center speaker, so I suppose it's actually 4.1.

The center channel probably shares the front sounds.

Soundblaster XFi + Medusa 5.1 Surroundheadset = I can hear where people are walking in ArmA and kill them easier because they can only see me, whereas I've been listening to where they are for the past 5 minutes ... pistols.gif

:Cons

- If you wear glasses they can hurt your ears with the big headphone thingys making your glasses dig into your ears

- For some reason after wearing them for an hour or two i start to feel dizzy.

And you get very warm ears after a while.. tounge2.gif

5.1 works beautifully for me and my Creative 5.1 speakers, nothing like cranking da music in the morning and hearing the laments of the neighbours, heheh!

quality headphones are less then half of the battle. i fully recommend the Auzentech Prelude 7.1 audio card. literally, it's the best card on the market for both audiophiles and gamers.

add this with a quality 5.1 headset, like the zalman set, and you won't turn back.

I guess it doesn't work for me because of the crappy onboard sound (ie software)

Cant wait to get my X-Fi gamer biggrin_o.gif

Infam0us: So the Medusa's are worth using with the X-Fi? Are they really better than the processed 3d and stereo headphones?

can anyone tell me if it's possible to use the 360 headset just for the voice chat while having most of the sound coming through the speakers. i may buy a proper headset but i want to try this first)

didnt think it deserved a new topic.

as most people say it works great with Sound Blaster X-Fi..

Great for sound editing, movie making and recording too.

I love it..

thumbs-up.gif

I guess it doesn't work for me because of the crappy onboard sound (ie software)

Cant wait to get my X-Fi gamer biggrin_o.gif

Infam0us: So the Medusa's are worth using with the X-Fi? Are they really better than the processed 3d and stereo headphones?

Hey mate, I use that combo and all I can say is that the music sounds awesome ... and also it lets me hear were people are moving ingame so precisely that I can target the area that they'll be moving into based just on the sound of where their footsteps are. smile_o.gif

Soundblaster XFi + Medusa 5.1 Surroundheadset = I can hear where people are walking in ArmA and kill them easier because they can only see me, whereas I've been listening to where they are for the past 5 minutes ...  pistols.gif

I can say thats totally true have the exact same card and headset as Infam0us and you can hear them from quite a distance even when there crawling.

Have you ever experienced, how loud it is is if someone is crawling around in a silent night?

I doubt that, else you would know that a person that`s crawling around is far from being noiseless.

UPDATE:

A follow up to the previous post (page3) I just installed the Creative X-Fi Gamer.

NOW the 5.1 works!!!

So obviously you need an actual soundcard not just onboard sound to use 5.1

As for the Medusa headphones, yep they work well and produce slightly more "space" than using stereo headphones in 3D mode. Sorry, duno how else to describe it.

One annoying thing is that the front speakers have more reverb than the rear which to me is the wrong way around and there is no way to alter it.

Anyway, I can get my head IN ARMA now and its so much better.

So if you are using onboard sound... GET A SOUNDCARD!!!

me i use creative audigy 4 soundcard for 5.1 whit speaker system logitec x-540 , 5.1 work very good in arma, and i use my onboard soundcard for my headphone/mic whit ts or ventrilo, work very good

its the best way, game in 5.1 speaker , and headphone and microphone in onboard soundcard only for ex: ts,ventrilo ect..

I use dolby digital live 5.1 with arma and i works great, I just hooked it up to my surround reciver.

by the way Madmatt, 5.1 isn't just panning the volume its also using latency between the speakers, thats why you have to configure the distance to your speakers to get good convincing surround sound.

dont know if you set that up when you were using 5.1 headphones?