Sign in to follow this  
FlyFisher

Church Windows

Dear ArmA Soldiers,

We got a ladder to climb up to the church towers in Sahrani, thats fine!

But all the windows are closed  crazy_o.gif

Wouldent that be better if the windows were open?

What do you think please write something  smile_o.gif

Thanks

bell towers dont have windows, they have slats, as per game.

.... banghead.gifcrazy_o.gif

won't you want to shot from the house of the Lord you sinners ! biggrin_o.gif

yeah , too many doors and windows closed for my taste , i think all houses should be enterable

lol i was hoping those damn church tower slats would have been removed for ArmA (C'mon BIS if your gonna retexture and reuse old OFP/RES buildings , at least make them a bit more useful tounge2.gif )

Even though they're closed (which is a shame) I've often found AI snipers up there... wink_o.gif

lol i was hoping those damn church tower slats would have been removed for ArmA (C'mon BIS if your gonna retexture and reuse old OFP/RES buildings , at least make them a bit more useful tounge2.gif )

surely if you removed them then the church wouldn't look right.... buildings aren't built to be useful for snipers and gamers after all

Then why add the ladder? It serves little to no purpose as it is.

I was supprised to find the windows unusable too. Especially after climbing all that way up...What a waste of time putting in the ladders... wink_o.gif

It might just be me, but I can still see enemy and shoot through them. Albeit a bit harder because of your reduced vision. smile_o.gif

Then why add the ladder? It serves little to no purpose as it is.

I can find plenty of uses - it serves as a nice hidey hole for sniping through, although at the detriment at having reduced vision and is a great place to stick an AI sniper for missions - had alot of fun scaring vcb with that one. smile_o.gif

lol i was hoping those damn church tower slats would have been removed for ArmA (C'mon BIS if your gonna retexture and reuse old OFP/RES buildings , at least make them a bit more useful  tounge2.gif )

surely if you removed them then the church wouldn't look right.... buildings aren't built to be useful for snipers and gamers after all

but surely in the context of Arma being a game which is also a combat simulator, the buildings would have been designed with these considerations in mind?

I agree that it is possible to shoot thru the slats like in OFP (albeit with a very restricted view and shooting from standing) I just think it would have been nice if the functionality of the reused buildings had been extended...

Its not really a biggie in my book anyways, its probably a low priority task in some future patch to get the buildings a bit more useful.

yes, but as that combat simulator it wouldn't be very realistic if every building offered the perfect vantage point would it?

the church offers elevation and concealment, but at the detriment of having a restricted view. It forces you to scan your environment and make choices based on the situation. You could always clamber up the radio tower, but it offers virtually no concealment.

It would be nice if glass was breakable. There's a few warehouses you can go in with windows you can see through... only you can't, cos' the window cleaner hasn't been round since about 1850. The trouble is you can't knock/shoot the grubby glass out for a better view. But I agree it's low down the list of priorities.

It can be used as an OP. Not a great OP but a safe one.

What sort of n00b sniper [qua sniper] climbs up into a

freakin' church bell tower anyway!? A real sniper takes a

perch where he can engage targets trying to avoid the

church bell tower!    wink_o.gif

Hi all

I think smashable glass and shutters is well worth BIS's time say after US release.

The roof of the control tower at the airfield is a good sniper spot. Especially silenced in Berzerk. It has a sloped roof which offers many possibilities.

The two floor houses are also good sniper spots and you can stand well back from the windows in the room corners and shadows to defeat observation. Effective against both AI and humans.

Dang Nabbit gave away by sniper spots. crazy_o.gif

Kind Regards walker

Breakable windows really are needed both as a useful means of acquiring a camping spot and for sheer entertainment too! Oh, and whilst on this subject a few exploding barrels please!  inlove.gif  .. Damn these things were in DF2 and also in the old R6 titles.   confused_o.gif

Breakable windows really are needed both as a useful means of acquiring a camping spot and for sheer entertainment too! Oh, and whilst on this subject a few exploding barrels please!  inlove.gif  .. Damn these things were in DF2 and also in the old R6 titles.   confused_o.gif

Yes because we all know that in real life barrels are inherently highly explosion prone.

Seriously isn't that like the biggest game cliché ever? Anyway, someone (neswrossi) brought up a good point earlier in this thread. You can't have EVERYTHING. You're forgetting some things too, well actually mainly just one thing...

Every building enterable, breakable walls/glass, exploding scenery, etc... In a game of ArmA's scope these things would all use more CPU than they deserve, and CPU is a precious, valuable thing in ArmA. The first 2 are just out of the question, especially if you combine them: imagine every single building having a detailed interior with breakable glass, what you get instead is a nice slide show effect. Ok, yea exploding barrels wouldn't be too demanding, but it's just plain stupid (NOBODY ever died IRL from an exploding barrel in combat).