Sign in to follow this  
Cerebral_Assassin

Locks up at "Wait for Host"

Ok, I have been reading this forum until my eyes bleed but didnt find a clear cut solution. I saw things about Nforce 4, tried router settings, etc.

I patched to 1.05 (I have the sprocket version: Czech). I was able to play for about 3 days w/o any problems. Now, when I try to play MP, I get the server list, but whenever I try to join a server my game freezes at "Wait for host". I have to reboot to get past this. I've alt tabbed and used task manager to shut down the process but no/go. No errors, no anything, just freezes.  I dont know what has changed or what the problem is. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Also, I read and found out that it is normal to have an arma.locked application in the program files for the sprocket version. Correct me if this is wrong..

Little update: I just was able to join a server and play for 10 min. I was ready to leave and try another but when I pushed disconnect, i locked up?? What is this. very, very weird!!!

As stated before, this game worked perfect for three days on this system. I am completely dumbfounded.

Specs are

AMD X2 3800

ASUS M2n-e SLI w/ Nforce5

Nvidia 7900GS 256mb

PC6400 Corsair 2GB

Windows XP

Wild guess: Firewall or similar program blocking execution of program operations that connect to the internet or allow incoming connections. Even certain antivirus programs might cause this. Your PC locks up because Arma tries to execute something, and the security software tries denying it at the same time and they use up all your system resources.

Yeah, I've read most of your post desert. . It is NOT a firewall issue since I dont have one enabled. It is not a router issue, since I opened all ports AND unplugged and direct wired. WILD GUESS!!! Any other suggestions

Wow .. what a charmin' lil door-knob you are.

I can not find anything about "router" in my post. I said it seems like a firewall ( software firewall ) or antivirus program does it.

Since you don't even say if you have something similar installed, I guess you are smart enough to figure it out on your own hmm ? wink_o.gif

*EDIT* Since you read all my posts ( admit it ) you know I am a generous person. So here's another wild guess !!

Might be your nVidia ethernet controller itself. Try a different ethernet card.

Cerebral_Assassin I suggest you be a little more gratefull.

What Desertfox suggested was valid and in a manner that I do not find offensive.

Kindly do not reply to advice (that you have asked for) in such a way again.

With all do respect, telling me I'm a little doorknob is not a respectful reply and if he sees fit to make statements like that one, I will respond to them. It baffles me that you are focusing all your attention on me and are blinded to his comments such as "what a little doorknob you are" and "wild guess"

You dont find someone calling you a doorknob offensive?

To the problem of crashing. If anyone can respectfully give me an idea, keeping in mind I have read tons of threads about it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I have a similar problem to Cerebral_Assasssin. Essentially I am unable to connect with most (lately it seems to be virtually ALL) servers.

The game hangs at "connecting to server", but I still recieve server messages such as "xxx was killed" etc.

I have tried all the more obvious things such as disabling the firewall and such, but still the problem persists. A programmer friend of mine was round and tried forwarding ports and changing settings on my router-modem, but it seems nothing would help. In the end we concluded that it might indeed be the game itself since all other games seem to work fine online.

Does anyone have any further suggestions? Any help at all would be appreciated!

My hardware:

1 Ethernet Router Modem (Conexant) - unfortunately i can't find a product number - it seems to be fairly generic.

My pc is connected to the router via the motherboard.

PC...

AMD Athlon 64 3200

GeForce 7800GT 256mb

2gb RAM DDR400

...running Windows XP Pro.

Thanks in advance.

edit: I didn't think this needed a separate thread... please advise if otherwise.

I have had that too, but just from time to time. Strange stuff. (I can still leave the game)

According to the Wiki, onboard ethernet controllers coming with Nvidia nForce chipsets may be problematic. It is suggested to use a different ethernet controller.

@ Stabiz & Amatras: Can you confirm to have nForce chipsets with onboard ethernet controllers ?

@ DesertFox:

That sounds right. I think I do have nForce. Do you know if there is any way to resolve this issue with software? Thanks for the help.

Edit:

My built-in ethernet connection is "NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller".

I tried a network card from an old computer ("Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC") but the problem is still persisting. banghead.gif

Hi Desertfox. I did as suggested and set "Onboard LAN" in the BIOS to "disabled", but unfortunately there was no effect.

Does the MSI 915P come with nForce chipset? Ive no idea how to find out. I'm using the onboard LAN and get the "Wait for host" stagnantation on a few servers (ping's quite high too)

Just found this information on the bohemia wiki.

Link

Quote[/b] ]Can't connect on servers

Every attempt to connect to a server fails with an error message saying that the attempt to connect failed.

Solution

Execute

netsh winsock reset

with cmd.

If it still does not work, make copy of your registry and do the following:

Start Windows in safe mode, go to device manager, show hidden devices and delete the following non-PnP-drivers:

* HTTP

* AVMPORT

* NetBios over TCP/IP

* TCP-IP

* Driver for automatic RAS-connection

* Windows Socket 2.0 Non-IFS

The cmd command doesn't seem to work (I get a 'command not found' type error). Before I try deleting the drivers, is there any other way to execute the cmd command?

START => Run => netsh winsock reset

Not sure if that has an effect but that is how you trigger it.

Restart your Modem,i had the exact same problem,works a treat now.