Sign in to follow this  
FetishFool

SDRAM vs RDRAM vs DDR RAM

My mainboard only supports SDRAM.

Would it also be able to run DDR RAM? Because DDR RAM is very similiar to SDRAM.

And, if you ran enough SDRAM, could you make your computer as efficient as one running on RDRAM?

Example:

1gb SDRAM vs 256mb RDRAM

Would they be the same?

Having that PC800 ram is kinda pointless since it runs at your bus speed...as far as I know the system is not stable at 800...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FetishFool @ Feb. 08 2002,10:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My mainboard only supports SDRAM.

Would it also be able to run DDR RAM?  Because DDR RAM is very similiar to SDRAM.

And, if you ran enough SDRAM, could you make your computer as efficient as one running on RDRAM?

Example:

1gb SDRAM vs 256mb RDRAM

Would they be the same?<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Would it also be able to run DDR RAM? <span id='postcolor'>

Nop, DDRAM+PIV or AMD is better

You can't just switch memory types like that -- the connectors for the memory modules are different, and the chipset/memory controller needs to support the memory type in question as well.

If you aren't sure what type of memory your motherboard supports, check out MOBOT at Motherboards.org for the most comprehensive motherboard database on the Internet:

http://www.motherboards.org/

They also have tools to help you ID the type of motherboard you have.

I know that a new motherboard might be needed.

In my case, a new motherboard IS needed if I want DDR RAM or RDRAM.

In the end DDR RAM is more of a bargain. The price is right, and the power is enough for good gaming.

[qoute] On the other side, the motherboard we tested was carrying out a heavy role: introducing Intel's long waited 845D chipset. The only difference with the older 845 chipset, is the replacement of the old dog SDRAM. We are not going to kill our old dog, but it is obvious that he cannot play around with our young kids P4 and Athlon XP anymore. What about RAMBUS? Why would I want to pay more for the exactly the same car, which can just speed 3 Mph more? 160 miles per hour is enough for everyone!

[/qoute] Thats the sort of remark ur gona regret in the futere ( ***** should be enough for everyone. I remember Bill Gates saying "480 k should be enough forevery one" ....... and he was WRONG!

the point is DDR is good speed and value for money, so it makes sense to have that and then the next type of DDR is 3-5 years for the same money as rambus is now.