Sign in to follow this  
Biggleska

Veterans with superiority complexes.

I was playing last night on the 16AAB server, Air Assault.

There was a player who i'll call "Joe" in this post as I don't want to name him;

He was whining on, and on, and on about how the gameplay should have been updated, and how he didn't want updated graphics - just improved gameplay.

Did I tell you that according to him the only thing improved in ARMA is the graphics? Well, anyway.. he told us on the server many times, in addition to how much he dislikes the game and prefers ofp - to which I replied "Why don't you just stop playing and go back to OFP then?"

This angered Joe greatly, "who do you think you are, talking to me like that? i'm an OFP bet, you can't if you've even played it at all"

I bought OFP in 2002 (well, I made a mistake and told him 2003) and played it often up until late 2005 by which time i'd lost the discs and my (now) old computer had died, I told him this and he said again "you noob, i'm an OFP vet. I played OFP from 2001 and why should I stop playing arma?"

I know OFP and ARMA like the back of my hand, but I don't go about treating all other players who don't like dirt, I try to help those who don't know the game very well (though almost a month after the 505 release most people don't need help anymore) - what's his problem?

It wasn't even if he was trying to enjoy the game, he simply standing around the base shouting "KICK!" "BAN!" every time someone accidentally crashed a truck, or fired off a bullet at random "stop wasting ammo!"

Anybody else experienced people like this?

Just avoid their server then.

I guess their is no real impact of posting such here on the BIS forums.

If it´s a matter on their server, adress it in their forums. Most topics like this will only lead to flaming, name calling and create a bad atmosphere. I know, your intentions are not bad, but seriously, look for some decent server with decent people.

Right now there are a lot of servers popping up with a wild mix of people. That´s basically the same as it was with OFP. Over time there will be some kind of natural selection. The good servers with good people or clans will survive while the rest will just vanish.

And no, I am not an OFP elitist, I´m just playing and editing OFP for 6 years now smile_o.gif

Servers are like real life, you will meet such and such...

you don't need to wonder.

there are always jerks like him.

I just ignore such "n00bs", everything else is a waste of nerves.

But I have to say that the "moral" on public servers is so friggin low that it's almost not worth playing on one.

I mean, ArmA has a very good commanding structure but people just don't listen to their Teamleader. People could have a much greater ArmA Experience if they would themselves integrate in the role of the game: Military Simulation. I'm talking of the gameplay aspect.

That's one more reason to join a clan, only in a clan you can experience the "true ArmA / OFP feeling" which you'll never get on Public Servers and in the Single player. And with TS you really get deep in.

People on public servers run around alone, whine about shit, shoot at base, endanger own units, etc. That has nothing to do with fun anymore.

But I guess that will never change, so better you join a clan and be happy there like me smile_o.gif

Greetings Evers

Haha, yeah, I hate people like that and I kind of am a person like that. Hypocrisy is the disease of the elite, you know.

edit: I agree with Eversmann on every point. There's some freaky idiots out there with no idea, and they can really get on your nerves. The thing that really gets my goat is that people will shoot it you or whatever vehicle you're driving to get your attention. Some guy wanted to fly the cobra that a friend of mine and I were flying, and didn't like that we told him that we had no room, so he shot it full of holes and then torched the repair truck.. Cobra ran out of gas, now the team is crippled... then just like that 'mine' BF2 video, the noobs are crawling all over each other to get into the cobra and notice they can't fly them without a pilot role. One of them manages to take a vacant pilot role and gets in to find that it's out of gas... the whole thing degenerated into a giant tk fest.

Another time, a group of us had to restart a mission like 3 times because this guy kept on crashing a mission critical car less than 3 minutes into an hours long coop. He kept on driving it into rocks and stuff... and I sincerely believe that it was by accident. I told him 'to just... never drive', so he shoots me in the brain like that means something and leaves the server. JIP is a double edged sword.

thanks for agreeing with me plaintiff1 smile_o.gif

one good thing are public nights from clans.

I joined the LLBrig31 and we had one yesterday.

Good thing then is, that there is an admin.

I was with 2 other guys of my squad and we where also in TS, so then, there was a public guy joining our group. We went around a house looking for insurgents, I took left side, and my 2 mates + 1 public the right side of the house. then we reached the corner, I was looking around the corner, the other team to, BAAAM that public freak shot me direct in my face crazy_o.gif which resulted in a ban for him.

I hate such situations, they are completely shit. I can understand when a pilot accidently fires on his own men, but good soldiers, do identify their target first, then shoot or wait until it is shot at them.

That's the thing with public players. And answers like, "uh sorry thought you were enemy because my graphic is so bad" do not count. I myself have to play on low settings and can identify targets properly.

If people want fun like that, they should go playing cs or bf2...but atleast I think, that we (most ArmA) players, take MP Gaming serious in a good way. I mean, serious with humor and no loose of reality. ...kind of (hope you understand wink_o.gif )

thanks for agreeing with me plaintiff1 smile_o.gif

one good thing are public nights from clans.

I joined the LLBrig31 and we had one yesterday.

Good thing then is, that there is an admin.

I was with 2 other guys of my squad and we where also in TS, so then, there was a public guy joining our group. We went around a house looking for insurgents, I took left side, and my 2 mates + 1 public the right side of the house. then we reached the corner, I was looking around the corner, the other team to, BAAAM that public freak shot me direct in my face  crazy_o.gif  which resulted in a ban for him.

I hate such situations, they are completely shit. I can understand when a pilot accidently fires on his own men, but good soldiers, do identify their target first, then shoot or wait until it is shot at them.

That's the thing with public players. And answers like, "uh sorry thought you were enemy because my graphic is so bad" do not count. I myself have to play on low settings and can identify targets properly.

If people want fun like that, they should go playing cs or bf2...but atleast I think, that we (most ArmA) players, take MP Gaming serious in a good way. I mean, serious with humor and no loose of reality. ...kind of (hope you understand wink_o.gif )

I would definitely join a clan if I could make the time commitments but sadly I can't. I jump into their servers from time to time and like the way they move as a well oiled unit and play the way ArmA deserves.

One time I was playing Opfor and a Blufor sniper was well hidden taking out our guys a few feet out of the spawn zone for about 10 minutes and killing me 5 times crazy_o.gif  no matter what angle I took. Determined to find the rat, before he capped me again I saw a helmet pop up from a high roof top and took the shot- TK! I was really sorry and my squddie was rightfully pissed but I think thats kinda the nature of war- especially without voice or good team communication.

If you have a complaint about one of my staff, them you can post in in our forums. Im sure BIS dont need nor want you piosting it here. You can PM me the player name and I will investigate it. Include the time & which server of ours you were on.

If you have a complaint about one of my staff, them you can post in in our forums. Im sure BIS dont need nor want you piosting it here. You can PM me the player name and I will investigate it. Include the time & which server of ours you were on.

It wasn't a member of your clan/staff, it was just a regular to your server - and as I mentioned in my post, i'm not going to post his name here.

Seriously this doesn't belong to ArmA general. If you got a problem with someone contact the server's admin. From reading your original post and it's title, one easily gets the impression you're accusing 16AAB.

sorry, i missunderstood. I though it was a complaint against one of my guys. Anyhoo, our MOTD states if you have a problem with maps or players, report it to us on our forum. Our server rules on our forum do stay that abusive players wont be tolerated. For future use:-

http://www.16aab.org.uk/forum

You have all touched on a very BIG point. At the moment i'm staying clear of MP, TK'ing has been taken to a whole new level. Let alone trying to play as a team............

Many out there think it's COD2 or MOH, and when your in Australia with limited servers, " what do you do".

So SP and campaign have been given a real work over. It will settle down, but it may take a while.

Mind you, i've also struck the other end of the scale where they take it all too serious. "I'm a vet, i've been in the Army. So what l say is gospel. whistle.gif

So what........... I was in the Navy for 10 and l don't carry on like half these Dh's do.

As l said, it will settle down, when "who knows".

For me it's usually he more 'serious' players who are a problem and expect everyone else to play to their whim and automatically enter the game at their experience level.

Luckily I can fly/drive/shoot etc. but it still grieves me to see long term players not giving new guys a chance.  I get in chopper with someone and they crash - oh well, that's life and it's unfair to make them practise solely on SP or their own MP map.  After something like that the ingame chat is rife with, "Who the f*ck was flying that?", "Don't try and fly if you can't", "Noob pilot!" etc.

If this was a true military environment then sure, there'd be some degree of berating but not without encouragement.  Where's the, "Okay, you crashed, what seems to be the problem, is it your pad?  Do you want some pointers?"

I try to help when I can however, for most 'Vets' it's a one man Rambo show.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Slightly OT but anyway, this is were the XBL (with its unique gamertag) friendslist excels. When playing Elite back in the days i mainly played coops with a reduced number of friends. Elite has a 'Friends only' option.

Anyway, i suppose you can arrange that too on pc but XBL just makes it so much more easy.

For me THIS (and the everybody equal hardware and no cheating) is one of the main reasons why i would like to see Arma/360. I have a group of long time virtual friends and would love to coop ArmA with them.

For now, i only play SP (and do mission editing), i just don't have the time, nor the motivation to build up another friendslist in the pc world.

Well that guy has kept telling last 6 years to his boss and beautiful women that he has played OFP since -01 but he never gets laid or rise in salary. Of course that will make him frustrated and you were the victim.

Including me the most of us has had OFP since 2001 but normal people do not get kicks from it. This kind of jerks are as bad as TK's.

What Duffers said is absolutely true. I wonder the behaviour of some clans how they treat "external" players. They sometimes except that the non-clan player knows exactly what to do in their self-made mission, the leader do not give orders and when you make a mistake, you are a noob and get all kind of non-compliments.

Mind you, i've also struck the other end of the scale where they take it all too serious. "I'm a vet, i've been in the Army. So what l say is gospel. whistle.gif

I got kicked from a server once because I was the gunner of a tank on the armoured fist co-op mission. We had taken the first town and had to move on to the second. He ordered me to blow up a Ural and and a UAZ. I questioned him on this and asked why we should waste ammo on them and besides we already have the town and requested we move on. He flipped out saying stuff like "I'm the commander. Do as I say or else. When I tell you to do something you do it!". I replied that I didnt see the point so he kicked me! rofl.gif

i agree with Balschoiw,

just avoid their servers wink_o.gif

A huge amount of players will migrate from BF2 once word gets round how good "HOLD" mode is its BF2 on crack frankly!

ARMA MP is a big a learning curve as the single play side is, with coop missions as well people need some patience.

BF2 tatics and skills do migrate to ARMA very well, theres other stuff you have to pick up as well.

I got banned last night for shooting at a hilltop in a chopper killing 8 of the other side and 1 of my own, I was told the 1 FF loss was unacceptable by the admin. This was a HOLD game as in MP madness not a coop vs AI.

I then got the, " I have played arma since 1898 on a babbage PC and Im an ARMA god your wrong so you are banned forever blah". I said fine plenty of other good servers, left and found a really friendly US Hold server and had an increadable 8 hours of fun.

There are always game snobs who know best or will even ban you for being a better player than them.

i agree with Balschoiw,

just avoid their servers  wink_o.gif

I said fine plenty of other good servers, left and found a really friendly US Hold server and had an increadable 8 hours of fun.

There are always game snobs who know best or will even ban you for being a better player than them.

there you go..  biggrin_o.gif

does not change my point of view.. smile_o.gif

I think in dirtylarrygb's case he was probably annoyed that you took the kills from him! Perhaps there shold be another global list for abusive admins? whistle.gif

Theres good eggs and Bad eggs, I'd suggest joining a decent clan that suits the needs of the individual player who wishes to experience the way arma ought to be played smile_o.gif

u2kool4 this game, NOT!

dawg, if U dont know how 2 plhey U F4kIn N0ob and get pwned during every RUSH-4TT4K then it is your own 4lt!, m8. U are jst laking Sk!ll. LMAO, I rlly pwned u 4 sure YestErdaY @ AuA Serv4!

its a good thing u didnt have ur <3<3<3 shirt on lol.

H4XX0R!

huh.gifbiggrin_o.gif

To be frank, this game has attracted a new breed of stupidity, with people thinking that just because it is a 'simulator' and as the l337 people would say, 'not a game, n00b.' they actually amazingly believe that the game is real life.

I was once on a server and killed an AI NPC member on my team and this guy started screaming down the mic at me about how he'd kick my ass if I were there at his house, and how its n00bs like me that ruin ArmA, and TK'ed me until I left.

This just shows not to feed people shit about the simulator being close to real life e.t.c because it has already caused a new breed of retarded, fricking mentally disabled people to play this game and have a fucked up idea about the right way to play it.

Im sure that people who love this game will remain regular and will be regular for a long time, i dare to say... long years.

All in result of BIS good work. And future improvements.

I expect that the people who moan and whine in MP about why they can't "own" and all that rubbish will move on when the next twitch fest turns up. Hopefully UT2007 will pull them away for a while.