Sign in to follow this  
horrgakx

Campaign wasn't enough, what do you recommend?

I'm nearly finished the campaign - thats if I can work round what look like bugs in the final mission.

However I can't believe it will be over so quickly, there is SO MUCH left un-explored.  I'm very disappointed.

So what would you more experienced guys in here recommend I do next as far as getting more game content?

Dave

Wrong forum.

also, the Campaign is not the main reason playing ArmA.

I tell you: Find a good Clan and play there, much more fun and much more exploring the island then in the campaign.

actually, I never started the Campaign since I've bought ArmA biggrin_o.gif

IMO the best thing about the game is being able to play it MP with my squad. Find yourself a good coop squad, and you'll have hours, nay, years, of fun.

The editor. That is actually the meat of the game, the campaign is the minor part of it. Make your own missions, it's really easy to do.

For a quick fix, the PMC First Fight Campaign is a good start:

Linky

Otherwise, as Pathy metions, get yourself on-line with a group of lads you can rely on. There are plenty of groupls recruiting at the moment.

Online play and using the editor are where all the fun is. The campaign and the single missions are more of an example of what's possible, rather than the bulk of the game.

Online play and using the editor are where all the fun is. The campaign and the single missions are more of an example of what's possible, rather than the bulk of the game.

well...

i didn't see a sticker "example campaign included. For the real one, you have to do it yourself" on my DVD-Box.

Must have missed that probably banghead.gif

Well you should have researched the product you were buying a bit more thoroughly, instead of going by what's written on the box.

wink_o.gif

Just wait a few months, and there will be more campaigns than you know what to do with.

Well you should have researched the product you were buying a bit more thoroughly, instead of going by what's written on the box.

What a poor argument.

I've bought it in november. There was not much to research. It was advertised with "The new masterpiece....".

A masterpiece implies high quality in all aspects of a game, doesn't it? huh.gif

Well you shouldn't have rushed out and bought it straight away. Would you buy a house without looking inside? Would you buy a car on the first day of retail, based on reviews of pre-production models? Advertizers and PR people say a lot of stuff. You've got to be pretty naive to believe anything they've gotta say. To me, a "masterpiece" is something like macbeth or the mona lisa..... something people still talk about several 100 years after it's creation. You've gotta be pretty slow to realise they might possibly be exaggerating when they use such a term for a video game.

I bought the game on the first day of release in my country... I knew exactly what I was getting into.

Well you shouldn't have rushed out and bought it straight away. Would you buy a house without looking inside? Would you buy a car on the first day of retail, based on reviews of pre-production models? Advertizers and PR people say a lot of stuff. You've got to be pretty naive to believe anything they've gotta say. To me, a "masterpiece" is something like macbeth or the mona lisa..... something people still talk about several 100 years after it's creation. You've gotta be pretty slow to realise they might possibly be exaggerating when they use such a term for a video game.

I bought the game on the first day of release in my country... I knew exactly what I was getting into.

please don't say that icon_rolleyes.gif .

i, too, bought ArmA back in Nov 06, fully expecting a singleplayer experience equal to Operation Flashpoint. turns out ArmA is nowhere near OpF in terms of the campaign and the single missions.

if you're into MP that might be fine, but I and many others here would like a decent SP mode, which ArmA currently does not have.

so don't act like it's our own fault, OK? mad_o.gif

Gosh, i should have spoken to you in november.

You're the man!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Play Bardosy's Perpetua Campaign.

Then head over to www.ofpec.com and do some beta testing to play new and often innovative missions before release.

Another vote for the Perpetua campaign here, it is so much better than the original campaign. The PMC campaign is also good. Just go to the User Missions section on these forums and download them, stacks of good stuff to keep you entertained in there.

It is not like you invested hundreds of dollars in the game...If you don't like to campaign then play something else. Like the other users said the editor and the mp are the best aspects of the game. If you want another campaign then download a user made one or make your own. Next time you buy something look behind all the shinny stuff they try to pull you in with...

Hi all

Same forum different section loads of free missions and some campaigns already.

Most reviewed by users

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....SF;f=67

One of the key advantages of ArmA over BF R6V CS etc lots of content thumbs-up.gif

it is free and the amount will grow exponentially.

As has been mentioned when you feel up to it why not give the editor a whirl. I am sure you are an intelligent and inventive person and not just some spoon fed BF R6V or CS whiner and now you have the tool to create that great scenario you always wanted too.

Have a go its easy to start and if you want to to take it further you can. Thing is you will probably find the mission editing to be at least as much fun as playing them. wink_o.gif

Kind Regards walker

Next time you buy something look behind all the shinny stuff they try to pull you in with...

how the hell was anybody supposed to know that the SP content of ArmA was nowhere near what OpF offered back then? mad_o.gificon_rolleyes.gif

seriously, i bought ArmA in november and expected no miracles. but i did expect a campaign on a par with Cold War Crisis. nothing better, but nothing worse, either. BI have shown twice (1985 & Resistance) that they can make great campaigns, and Codemasters (Red Hammer) made a decent one as well.

so how come the ArmA campaign is so much worse than all of that? you got an answer to that? you foresaw that too? icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi all

Same forum different section loads of free missions and some campaigns already.

Most reviewed by users

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....SF;f=67

One of the key advantages of ArmA over BF R6V CS etc lots of content thumbs-up.gif

it is free and the amount will grow exponentially.

As has been mentioned when you feel up to it why not give the editor a whirl. I am sure you are an intelligent and inventive person and not just some spoon fed BF R6V or CS whiner and now you have the tool to create that great scenario you always wanted too.

Have a go its easy to start and if you want to to take it further you can. Thing is you will probably find the mission editing to be at least as much fun as playing them. wink_o.gif

Kind Regards walker

i would get into editing if there were decent manuals and tutorials. but all i got is Murphy's guide to OpF editing and the little bits on the Biki.

what i need is a complete editing manual that starts with the very basics: i don't even know how to make a single unit kneel and use the binoculars icon_rolleyes.gif .

Quote[/b] ]what i need is a complete editing manual that starts with the very basics: i don't even know how to make a single unit kneel and use the binoculars  

Try to read the wiki and there are many manuals on OFPEC. But if you're doing just that, you won't get far. I learned most stuff, by reading other people's missions. It is a great way to learn practical stuff. Once you don't understand something in the mission, get back to the documentation. After a month it will be much easier.

noob....

+1WL for what can only be described as either spam or flamebaiting.

Lads easy there. I agree that the SP campaign was too short and the story line was very thin. There wasn't even a threat of a nuclear stand-off (joke!wink_o.gif.

I get the impression that the game has been solely made for the Modder. That's fair enough as there is a strong community out there who do put time and effort into creating new campains, missions and add-ons. However personally I found the story-lines one of the strong points in the original series and I think BI could have expanded a little bit more on the campaign.

On the flip-side, I'm glad there is a mission editor. It's great that you can re-invent the game. Its best that you play games created by others other than your own because there will always be an element of surprise. If you were to play your own games you'll always know where the enemy is, their strength and their orders (which is %^&ing boring).

BI I love the game but next time ye create a campaign could you make it more personal like the original series.

PS: Has anyone created a campaign that follows Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising?

I totally disagree with multiplayer being where all the funs at.Not much of a MP player have multiplayed some and sure it was fun but I like campaigns better.Having played OFP for years always enjoyed all the campaigns much more.Like being part of a bigger picture and with MP its just completing one mission or that capture the flag mindless madness and thats it your done...game/sim over.

Of course the mulitplay crowd and the off-line campaign crowd are like night and day and will always argue. smile_o.gif

Lads easy there. I agree that the SP campaign was too short and the story line was very thin. There wasn't even a threat of a nuclear stand-off (joke!wink_o.gif.

I get the impression that the game has been solely made for the Modder. That's fair enough as there is a strong community out there who do put time and effort into creating new campains, missions and add-ons. However personally I found the story-lines one of the strong points in the original series and I think BI could have expanded a little bit more on the campaign.

On the flip-side, I'm glad there is a mission editor. It's great that you can re-invent the game. Its best that you play games created by others other than your own because there will always be an element of surprise. If you were to play your own games you'll always know where the enemy is, their strength and their orders (which is %^&ing boring).

BI I love the game but next time ye create a campaign could you make it more personal like the original series.

PS: Has anyone created a campaign that follows Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising?

I agree mostly with what you are saying Teo -

Although, a thought thats been rattling around here is that its strange to me that Game 2 is in the making while Arma is not yet completed.

Honestly this hit me alot harder in the face when a friend of mine said "Arma is very likely a funding campaign for Game 2", and then he said "you know its true tounge2.gif". At first im like naw, I have no idea of Bis's intentions, but then thought about it some more..

If Arma was to be intended to truly be the sequal to Ofp, why would another platform already be on the horizon, and the Arma platform is not even be completed, with even much of any true quality mission content - Honestly it seems to me much has been lost in merely releasing the game as it is, once the US release falls into place, thats it, there really wont be any considerable profits gained from updating and enhancing the game with various patches and official addons, seems to me normally when you buy a game off the shelf, its a "what you see is what you get" kind of thing, many people certainly wont buy a game knowing that they must constantly update it because of many flaws and things missing.

Honestly id say thats fine, really awsome actually, I mean I dont want to wait till 2008, 2009 for a new Bis game, Arma is great to have, but - if all the great stuff that moders work hard for, including missions, are not compatable with game 2, even a few years could make a huge impact, as really it can take what, 6 months or longer to get good stuff coming out, to see it rendered incompatable with game 2.

I do hope the intent here by Bis is to get Arma up to standards of what Ofp was when it was released, and that they will continue to update and enhance it, also allowing plenty of time for great mods and missions to be completed, but, I dont think Im being excessively concerned when I say that Arma indeed could be just a stepping stone for game 2, my only hope in this case is that all the big mods and missions in progress now, and ones to come later will be able to be ported into game 2.