Sign in to follow this  
Nutronic

Sorry but I need to know

How old are these "kids".

I'm 14 and found Flashpoint (ArmA's Prequel) the most enjoyable game I have ever played. Ever.

And I've owned a PS1, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360 and played most of the BF PC games.

So I'd assume Armed Assault would be good, if you and they into realism in games.

If you like bunny-hopping and dolphin diving, with a tad of teamkilling and spawncamping mixed in, where you have a timelimit, stupidly unrealismic health system and silly vehical handling (all around) and an endless desire to get that all time high rank by any "1337 h4x0r 5k1llz" you may have, feel free to choose Battlefield.

No offence to anyone, I fairly enjoyed the old BF1942 a while back... But you know how it is...

Buy BF and wait till at least May on ARMA. Seriously its not worth it now, no matter what people here say. If you don't believe me ask somewhere outside these forums. Only you have to wait a few days for a serious reply, since there's not a lot of activity.

ARMA has potential, but its way too bugged right now. The SP is a joke and also bugged. About the editor, don't listen to those guys. The editor is nice, but if you think that replaces a solid SP experience, your wrong. Unless you have experience with making missions, which I doubt. Everybody can make a mission but few can make good missions.

The other thing about ARMA compared to 2142 is the people playing at any given time. In ARMA is much less. Also, to have fun in ARMA MP, you seriously need to devote at least 5 hours for a season. Where in BF, you just go in, play for 15 m, and get out.

Simulation eh? Before I call it that, BIS needs a lot more fixing to do. You should still buy it and give it a try, but I advice you to wait till at least May.

I would seriously advise you to disregard Luciano's opinion, he seems to have some kind of emotional problem with BIS and their products (search for his threads to confirm this). Wouldn't suprise me if he works for or is affiliated to Codemasters.

Now that you asked, I am affiliated with Codemasters, but so what, does it matter?

Buy whatever you want, but think about what I said at the end of the day.

Two highly anticipated games are coming out at the end of this month. (C&C Tiberian Wars and STALKER) I would go for one of those.

However, if you want a very solid SP experience and feel like your playing a war simulation, buy OFP and OFP reistance. The SP experience alone is worth 5 times as much as ARMA. Plus is cheaper.

But if you want to have a very bugged game, non existant SP, and a not so solid MP, by all means get ARMA. You also get an editor so you can make your own missions.

I would rather buy a box of pizza and go watch a movie.

He has points. SP is not top notch, Campaign is sub-par.

I disagree about the editor comment because there's already user made missions going out that are quite good.

Anyway that's out of scope as SteveQ looks like he's seeking MP experience.

And as far as "you need to devote 5 hours for having fun in ArmA MP", well, that's not my experience at all. It was undoubtfully the case in OFP, and that's what put me away from the game, but not anymore in ArmA.

Sure it can take a lil bit longer than BF. But it's a cosmetic difference. And if I'm honest, BF2142 I can't play online, my net drops when I connect to a server. But anyway, the downtime are comparable, for me.

Quote[/b] ]And as far as "you need to devote 5 hours for having fun in ArmA MP"

Theres a guy here that had that in his sig, thats where I got it from. Its not 5 hours, that probably an exageration. But its a lot more than you would in BF. Part of the problem is the random crashes, etc.

That was the case in OFP mostly because of all the addons. In ARMA, addons will work the same way. You have to install everything manually. So it will take time. In other games, its automated.

at this moment in time either of the bf series would piss on arma

wether your looking for a quick rush or a well thought clan game with a mod(yes it is possible beyond the posiedon engine ,honest).

i dare say in 6 months all of the above will have turned 180 degrees and arma would be the one that comes out on top in all types of game play , altho the quick rush type game might take longer to develop in arma but when the new collision has been nurtured by the map makers and iraq and afghanistan havebeen imported its gonna be fun times ahead.

would like to stress this is my personal opinion and draws on my own experiences and is not meant to reflect on other peoples views nor is it to influence there own opinion or undermine it.

I would seriously advise you to disregard Luciano's opinion, he seems to have some kind of emotional problem with BIS and their products (search for his threads to confirm this). Wouldn't suprise me if he works for or is affiliated to Codemasters.

THAT, was hilarious :P

-------------------------------

But yeah, depends what you like, BF2 = 'arcade', ArmA = realism, open ended etc

Obviously i prefer ArmA but the choice is yours.. its a bit rough round the edges too :P But patches are sweet from BIS (usually biggrin_o.gif)

How to compare ArmA with BF2? …

BF2 is like a fizzy drink on a hot day; it will taste delicious immediately it hits your mouth, then after a short time you will have quenched your thirst so you will want to put it away!

ArmA is more like that bottle of rum hiding in the cabinet; at first the taste is overwhelming and maybe a bit off-putting, but after a while there is a strange urge to take some more and more and then a bit more, then you just need it every day and can't seem to stop!  biggrin_o.gif

There is no possible comparison, you shouldnt make a vs out of it.

It depends on the individuals preference/taste.

Some only like fast/fun games.

Some only like serious/slower games.

Some like it all.

I just see other shooters as a waste of time, other games are casual flirts, Arma is the one inlove.gif .

Now that you asked, I am affiliated with Codemasters, but so what, does it matter?

Two highly anticipated games are coming out at the end of this month. (C&C Tiberian Wars and STALKER)  I would go for one of those.

However, if you want a very solid SP experience and feel like your playing a war simulation, buy OFP and OFP reistance.  The SP experience alone is worth 5 times as much as ARMA.  Plus is cheaper.  

But if you want to have a very bugged game, non existant SP, and a not so solid MP, by all means get ARMA.  You also get an editor so you can make your own missions.  

Hi all

Wanted to save that in its full glory for the record.

Kind Regards walker

Damn Red Kite, if that isn't the most apropos description of both games, I dunno what is.

I have all the offerings from both series (including expansions, boosters, etc.) and they both have merits. It all depends on your playstyle and free time. Try the demos, they are all still available.

IMO, ArmA is the more rewarding and richer experience of the two, but it is slower and demands more of your time. As of the v1.05 patch, I would say that ArmA is definitely ready for primetime. If you like coop, there is no better game.

For my own tastes, BF2 is for multiplayer PvP.

It's an A grade title.

Armed Aassault is only a B or C grade title for Multiplayer PvP.

But it's also a B grade Tank simulator.

a B grade Flight Sim

a B grade infantry Sim.

It has an A grade mission editor and I'm assuming when finished the modelling tools will be A grade also.

It's an A grade battle simulation where BF2 is only a B or C grade battlefield simulation.

In gameplay for my personal tastes Armes Assault excels in single player and Co-operative modes.

It doesn't look as nice as BF2, unless you play flight Sims, in which case it looks nicer.

It doesn't play as smooth as BF2 either.

But it's more flexible than BF2.

If you like tactical shooters and military FPS games you are going to love BF2.

If you liked collecting toy soldiers and setting them up into great big battles, or if you like making model tanks and aeroplanes, you are going to love Armed Assault.

The main difference in feel is Sim not Shooter.

I often play games of Armed Assault where I never even pull the trigger.

I do not play games of BF2 without pulling the trigger ever.

Two highly anticipated games are coming out at the end of this month. (C&C Tiberian Wars and STALKER) I would go for one of those.

However, if you want a very solid SP experience and feel like your playing a war simulation, buy OFP and OFP reistance. The SP experience alone is worth 5 times as much as ARMA. Plus is cheaper.

But if you want to have a very bugged game, non existant SP, and a not so solid MP, by all means get ARMA. You also get an editor so you can make your own missions.

Hi all

Kind Regards walker

Indeed, it all starts making sense now, maybe he was responsible for the red hammer abomination...

Quote[/b] ]It doesn't look as nice as BF2

can't really agree with this bit

1:from what ive seen it looks much better(as long as you've got a decent computer)

2:real life/war does not look "nice" so maybe war games shouldn't.

Hi, I currently have a very high rank in BF2 and have been playing for quite some time.

I like Arma better. But if I want a quick nonstop killfest than I play BF2 or CSS.

What is better about Arma. Realism. Weapons loadout are realistic on jets, helos, and tanks. The weapon loadouts are not realistic on vehicles in BF2. Damage done by weapons is realisic in arma.

Map is huge it takes a few hours to walk across the Arma map. The maps are way too small on BF2 for vehicles (much less infantry) The maps are so small in BF2 that tactics really are limited. I hate the stupid UAV and the satellite scan in BF.

Basically you will find everything thats in BF in Arma but it will be better because its realistic. The only reason I play BF is when I want to be in a killfest where I can rape the other team in my helo, jet, or tank. Just for quickfun. But Arma is my baby. firefoxlover.gif

Quote[/b] ]The weapon loadouts are not realistic on vehicles in BF2

i can agree with that!!-on the console version of BF2 the FFAR's had an extremely slow rate of fire and you got about 10. because of this and other things the helicopters became just something to bail out of to parachute into the battle.

Two highly anticipated games are coming out at the end of this month. (C&C Tiberian Wars and STALKER)  I would go for one of those.

However, if you want a very solid SP experience and feel like your playing a war simulation, buy OFP and OFP reistance.  The SP experience alone is worth 5 times as much as ARMA.  Plus is cheaper.  

But if you want to have a very bugged game, non existant SP, and a not so solid MP, by all means get ARMA.  You also get an editor so you can make your own missions.  

Hi all

Kind Regards walker

Just want to add: lol @ luciano (note that the first character

is written in lower case letters as it's not worth to be in capitals due to his last post anymore) rofl.gif

back on topic: BF2 like many others already have said before:

is to start the game and jump into action and if you're dead

you'll jump into action a 15 secs later again.

And ArmA is for: if you want to get one step deeper into

it and if you also want know hwy action is taking place exactly there where it is right now and who is taking part in the action.

Though i'm still playing BF2 a lot because of the jet dogfights.

I started playing last year with an x52 saitec and i have yet to find anything comparable to BF2 dogfighting - not wanna

speak about some serious flight sims here.

Don't get me wrong - if you tell me anything like the BF2 dogfights i'll apreciate it but ArmA isn't it. wink_o.gif

~S~ CD

I have bought ArmA biggrin_o.gif

Also Quakewars will be out soon along with call of duty 3 so they will also be good titles.

Thanks for the comments folks I appreciated every single one of them smile_o.gif

At least BF has players other than retards wich this forum seems to be a magnet for

Glad that you made your decision.

Be it bad or good, make sure you give us you input on your game. Like it, dislike it, share here.

Those who say that BF2 doesn't have realism haven't installed the Project Reality mod.

Sadly I doubt anyone will make an ARMA-> BF2 converter.

At least  BF  has players other than retards wich this forum seems to be a magnet for

lol - funny - while reading this i'm thinking about trying to enter a jet in BF2 on a public server at the beginning of a

map.

Half of the team gets minus points at the jet spawn and same

goes for the other side while a few are trying to make progressive score.

Retared means something like developed backwards and a

positive score indicates that you aren't a retard - but sometimes it's just kinda funny to compare the minus score to

the plus score to come to an overall score of somewhere below 0. rofl.gif

~S~ CD

ArmA has so many more posibilities than the BF series, its one of the reasons why I love it. ArmA can be different in many different ways. Different maps, servers and game modes.. and BF has about 15 maps max on each game with 1-2 game mods. Mods arnt easy on BF as far as I know.. making a map in ArmA takes a few seconds (a baisic one anyway)..

I stopped playing BF because it was the same from when i bought the game. Woot I got an unlock, made it slightly fun for about a day and then it was boring again.

thumbs-up.gif