Sign in to follow this  
twoodster

Destroyed Vehicles

Maybe I'm being incredibly sadistic - but does anyone know why you can't see bodies etc in the destroyed/burnt out vehicles anymore? On the original Flashpoint I always thought that was quite good! Right now if you blow up a Blackhawk full of troops you just get an empty burnt out shell - not particularly realistic if you ask me!

Another thing that bugs me - is there any way that the devs could remove the awquard transitition between parachuting and landing on the ground? It just feels quite jarring when the screen fades to black and back in quickly when hitting the ground. If it was one flowing movement it would be much better.

It would be quite gorish because they would have to make burnt bodies, it would problably increase Arma's rating to mature too.

I think its fine like this because it removes a bunch of unecessary models and textures from a tight spot (inside vehicle) from the mission so it might help with performance in some cases.

I agree 100% with the parachute landing animation, i think it would be nice to have and im sure others will agree but they just couldnt make everything even if they wanted too.

On the subject of destroyed vehicles i was quite surprised to find the old OPF destroyed vehicles in the editor, they look so out of place now that i'd rather just place the vehicle and setdamage 1 it.

hello

I too, miss the dead bodies in vehicles, it did make the game quite disturbing at times, especially when one approached a convoy one took out from a distance.

I know its only AI, but seeing a truck full of dead troops helped feel that your actions had a real effect.

As to low framerates, If the troops are already ingame then wheather you kill em out the vehicle or in the vehicle makes no odds IMHO.

I say bring em back. We can have dead riding in live vehiccles, keep em in dead ones too smile_o.gif

rgds

LoK

Do the weapons and ammunition of removed/invisible units in a destroyed vehicle also disappear? I hope they haven't removed the thrill of scavenging like in Resistance...

Do the weapons and ammunition of removed/invisible units in a destroyed vehicle also disappear? I hope they haven't removed the thrill of scavenging like in Resistance...

In resistance if you completely destroyed something you couldn't scavange anyways. You can actually use half-way destroyed vehicles in this - I saw a burnt out husk of a UAZ but I was manning the DSHK nicely.

Yep - bodies in vehicles was a good effect. I too remember seeing ranks of dead soldiers in downed helos and thinking "oo-er".

Bodies on the backs of troop transports too. Sometimes a downed helo would shed it's bodies too, so you would sometimes see a line of dead bodies pointing toward a smoking wreck.

All added to the immersion IMO.

I'm glad I'm not the only twisted person on here then wink_o.gif I just think you lose some of the effect if you can't see the consequences of your actions. It's a war simulation afterall. I can't see it effecting performance much at all.

I'm glad I'm not the only twisted person on here then wink_o.gif I just think you lose some of the effect if you can't see the consequences of your actions. It's a war simulation afterall. I can't see it effecting performance much at all.

It's the detail that makes a game in my opinion. Personally, I'd like chunks everywhere but that's just me. It would be nice to have 'Extreme' on the 'Blood' options menu though.

heh "low"->"high"->"extreme"-> "insane"->"meaty"->"hannibal"

agree that bodys would be nice tho.

I couldn't imagine it being a lot of work to have an all body texture of burnt blacks and browns. I think the trickier part would be to have the bodies stay with the wreckage or spill out in some gratifying way....did I say that out loud? wink_o.gif

It's the detail that makes a game in my opinion. Personally, I'd like chunks everywhere but that's just me. It would be nice to have 'Extreme' on the 'Blood' options menu though.

I have to disagree. It is nice but gameplay and functionality comes first, then graphics and eyecandy. Remember Sensible Soccer on the Amiga, no GFX do talk about but about the best footie games to come out ever wink_o.gif

It would be quite gorish because they would have to make burnt bodies, it would problably increase Arma's rating to mature too.

Are we playing the same game? The game already has some pretty friggin' gruesome wound textures, especially for face wounds. I seriously doubt a few corpses littered around a crash site would boost any maturity rating.

I imagine they did it to save some poly's which makes sense. Although, if you shoot people inside a vehicle they remain there and you even have to push them out, so who knows.

I have to disagree. It is nice but gameplay and functionality comes first, then graphics and eyecandy. Remember Sensible Soccer on the Amiga, no GFX do talk about but about the best footie games to come out ever wink_o.gif

Chunks may be eyecandy (can do without them myself) but bodies in vehicles is not IMO. If I take out a troop transport, it might be useful to see the bodies in it so I can make an assessment of how effective the action was. It might always have been empty.

Also a friendly downed helo full of bodies might tell me that we'll be short of friendly support later on.

Are we playing the same game? The game already has some pretty friggin' gruesome wound textures, especially for face wounds. I seriously doubt a few corpses littered around a crash site would boost any maturity rating.

I imagine they did it to save some poly's which makes sense. Although, if you shoot people inside a vehicle they remain there and you even have to push them out, so who knows.

OFP showed no FPS drop when bodies were around, they're static with no AI needed to power them. No more complex than trees I expect.

I must state the obvious: there was no performance drop in OFp since there was no JIP. The MP part of the games has been amped and some sacrifices had to be made in order to decrease the amount of data a new player had to recieve. I did, however, enjoy the bodies and found them immersing, to say the least.

--Ben

I must state the obvious: there was no performance drop in OFp since there was no JIP.  The MP part of the games has been amped and some sacrifices had to be made in order to decrease the amount of data a new player had to recieve.   I did, however, enjoy the bodies and found them immersing, to say the least.

--Ben

Well surely they could just enable it for single player and disable it for multiplayer?

OFP showed no FPS drop when bodies were around, they're static with no AI needed to power them. No more complex than trees I expect.

In OPF most of the destroyed vehicles would "deform", there was no real damaged model like you now have wink_o.gif .

In some cases you would see body parts sticking out of the deformed vehicles, looked poor.

Keep in mind that in OPF the models and textures were not so detailed. Since the vehicles now burn it would be strange if the bodies wouldnt, can you imagine the result? Ewww crazy_o.gif .

12 dead units carrying 12 detailed weapons inside a blown up helicopter arent needed in the mission so i dont mind if they vanish but thats just me smile_o.gif .