Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

PC Gamer game of the year: Ghost Recon

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Icabola @ Feb. 14 2002,15:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">SHUT UP biggrin.gif  and VOTE OFP here!!!

http://www.pcgamereview.com/polls/polls.asp?id=884&view=results

Regards,

Icabola<span id='postcolor'>

HEHEHE i have voted twice thanks to the Smart card on the schools pc's.

LOL

I just got the latest US <span style='color:red'>PCGayer</span> (I know, but here at work, they are now blocking all game-related websites - including this one - so I just got the mag to read and waste my time writing this post in notepad for later posting at home).

First off, in the letters to the editors section, a letter written by Tery H.; U.S. Army states how realistic OFP is when compared to GR, saying GR is just RS in the woods.  He asks if "Were you guys sniffing glue when you played GR?"  

So <span style='color:red'>PCGayer</span> comback is "No, Terry, we weren't sniffing glue, and you're right, we are all civilians - not a one of us has ever been in the military. Who knowns, maybe you've hit on something -  maybe because  we aren't Army Rangers  or Navy Seals, we can't appreciate the inherent "realism" (please explain why  the army boys have mmustaches) of OFP.  Still, I challenge you to tell us - and by "us" I mean the overwhelming majority of the country who aren't in the military -  what's so inherently "fun" about looking down and noticing an authentic-looking jeep radio?  Moreover, what does a 20-year old kid who works at EB care about realistic minutić (assuming he's able to recognize these details) if the game isn't much fun?

Li C. Kuo, the editor who wrote both reviews, is a huge fan of all things military.  He's the first person to complain when the firing rate of a gun isn't just right, or when a plane doesn't handle like it should in a sim.  He played all the way through both games multiple times, and came out loving GR and merely liking  OFP.  Also, each and every one of the editors here at PCGayer has played has played a great deal of both games, and the only one we continue to play and have fun with is GR.  Sure, maybe it's just because we're civilians, but hey, we're having a blast, and judging by reader response, so are lots of you!"  Then at the bottom, they got a pic of a pilot ejecting from a Apache with a caption "Annoying voiceovers... pointless truck-driving.... must... flee... Flashpoint..."

Alos in the same issue of <span style='color:red'>PCGayer</span> is a 2 page story on how great Ghost Recon is and why it's the GOTY. Just total prais for GR as if it's better than sex for these editors at <span style='color:red'>PCGayer</span>.  In it, they say "There was noise made on the internet about how OFP was more realistic game than GR.  Having played extensively through both games and spent most of OPF bored, we could cede some of the tiresomely realistic debate.  But in terms of gameplay, there's no comparison. GR never sold itself as the "flight sims of shooters."  It's content to be a pulse-pounding action game.  Compared to GR, the year's other military shooters were just a "Band of Brothers." They go on to say what they want in an expansion saying: "And we'd love to be able to use a laser designator to call in an air-strike on a moving convoy (ŕ la DF:LW)."

Then this one <span style='color:red'>PCGayer</span> editor/bend-overing sperm recepticle, DANIEL MORIS writes "I finished Ghost Recon. Not only is it the Game of the Year, it's the Game of the Last Two Years.  I pitty the miserable soul of anyone who thinks Operation Flashpoint is more fun than this."  Obviously, this man is getting sexual favors from the other males at Red Storm / Ubi Soft.

-=Die Alive=-

I hate PC Gamer mad.gif They just continue their great tradition of "knowing nothing about games and giving good reviews to paying customers".

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Feb. 19 2002,14:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just got the latest US <span style='color:red'>PCGayer</span> (I know, but here at work, they are now blocking all game-related websites - including this one - so I just got the mag to read and waste my time writing this post in notepad for later posting at home).

First off, in the letters to the editors section, a letter written by Tery H.; U.S. Army states how realistic OFP is when compared to GR, saying GR is just RS in the woods.  He asks if "Were you guys sniffing glue when you played GR?"  

So <span style='color:red'>PCGayer</span> comback is "No, Terry, we weren't sniffing glue, and you're right, we are all civilians - not a one of us has ever been in the military. Who knowns, maybe you've hit on something -  maybe because  we aren't Army Rangers  or Navy Seals, we can't appreciate the inherent "realism" (please explain why  the army boys have mmustaches) of OFP.  Still, I challenge you to tell us - and by "us" I mean the overwhelming majority of the country who aren't in the military -  what's so inherently "fun" about looking down and noticing an authentic-looking jeep radio?  Moreover, what does a 20-year old kid who works at EB care about realistic minutić (assuming he's able to recognize these details) if the game isn't much fun?

Li C. Kuo, the editor who wrote both reviews, is a huge fan of all things military.  He's the first person to complain when the firing rate of a gun isn't just right, or when a plane doesn't handle like it should in a sim.  He played all the way through both games multiple times, and came out loving GR and merely liking  OFP.  Also, each and every one of the editors here at PCGayer has played has played a great deal of both games, and the only one we continue to play and have fun with is GR.  Sure, maybe it's just because we're civilians, but hey, we're having a blast, and judging by reader response, so are lots of you!"  Then at the bottom, they got a pic of a pilot ejecting from a Apache with a caption "Annoying voiceovers... pointless truck-driving.... must... flee... Flashpoint..."

Alos in the same issue of <span style='color:red'>PCGayer</span> is a 2 page story on how great Ghost Recon is and why it's the GOTY. Just total prais for GR as if it's better than sex for these editors at <span style='color:red'>PCGayer</span>.  In it, they say "There was noise made on the internet about how OFP was more realistic game than GR.  Having played extensively through both games and spent most of OPF bored, we could cede some of the tiresomely realistic debate.  But in terms of gameplay, there's no comparison. GR never sold itself as the "flight sims of shooters."  It's content to be a pulse-pounding action game.  Compared to GR, the year's other military shooters were just a "Band of Brothers." They go on to say what they want in an expansion saying: "And we'd love to be able to use a laser designator to call in an air-strike on a moving convoy (ŕ la DF:LW)."

Then this one <span style='color:red'>PCGayer</span> editor/bend-overing sperm recepticle, DANIEL MORIS writes "I finished Ghost Recon. Not only is it the Game of the Year, it's the Game of the Last Two Years.  I pitty the miserable soul of anyone who thinks Operation Flashpoint is more fun than this."  Obviously, this man is getting sexual favors from the other males at Red Storm / Ubi Soft.

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly the reason why I cancelled my subscribtion to PCgayer and renewed my subscrition to Computer Gameing World.

Now I like Ghost Recon, it's a pretty fun game. However dissing Operation Flashpoint, and makeing Ghost Recon GOTY with no support to back it up, is just gay.

CGW (computer gaming world) gave GR a 3 1/2 out of 5, which I believe to be right on. And Operation Flashpoint is a good contender to get CGW's GOTY award for creativity and originality.

####, even the guys on the Ghost Recon board don't think GR should'ev recieved GOTY! Now that tells you something!

Well I made a post in the PCgamer forums asking why they flamed Operation Flashpoint. *note* in my post I said Ghost Recon is a good game (and it is) and did not mention the GOTY awards. wink.gif

Anyway, here is the reply I got:

: PCG_DANIEL Feb-21 10:40 pm

To: SH3LL_SH0CK (2 of 6)

1499.2 in reply to 1499.1

We're just poking a little good-natured fun at the hardcore "realism lawyers" who wrote us to denounce Ghost Recon as being inferior to Operation Flashpoint.

Obviously tastes will diverge, but I've consistently noticed that Op:Flash fans can't take a joke. So in true PCG fashion, I'll continue to make fun of the realism lawyers.

I think it's pretty understandable when the major PC games magazine in the world starts bashing a game for no real reason. They may be poking fun at the hard core fans (sounds like a BS excuse to me anyway), but to the people that are trying to make a decision about whether the buy OFP or not, they just see it as PC Gamer thinking OFP is a bad game. So I'm sure we could be forgiven for being pissed off when PC Gamer tells thousands of people that one of the best games of 2001 is crap.

PC POWERPLAY

an australian mag

is he best mag out

they gave ofp 95% and gr 92%

that should make you ppl happy wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">: PCG_DANIEL Feb-21 10:40 pm

We're just poking a little good-natured fun at the hardcore "realism lawyers" who wrote us to denounce Ghost Recon as being inferior to Operation Flashpoint.

Obviously tastes will diverge, but I've consistently noticed that Op:Flash fans can't take a joke. So in true PCG fashion, I'll continue to make fun of the realism lawyers. <span id='postcolor'>

Um, they flamed OFP in a world wide publication because a few people e-mailed in saying that GR was less realistic that OFP. Either they're lying through their teeth or they are a petty bunch of children.

I really don´t care if game mags didn´t give OFP the highest rating and "be all end all status" over other titles in 2001.

Games are personal taste, and such is the oppinion of those gamemag dudes doing the rating. I didn´t bought a game mag for over 1 1/2 years now, cause i get all the information i need faster and cheaper via the net.

Most gamemags are extremely biased anyway......what sells bigtime is action, and not so much games where you have to learn your way into, like it´s partially true for OFP. Also gamemags get an assload of preview demo´s and games to test, there´s not much time to spent on a single game i assume, that would enable them to test toroughly every aspect of it.

The majority want action arcade, thats why this portion makes up the biggest part of gamingmags with according coverage. They are part of the industry and as all others will have to go with the trend to be successful.

You yanks have it bad, I mean come on your PC Gamer sucks, the brit one is better! They dont slag OFP, however, play OFP online, andyou lag, bad... Ghost Recon does not lag so much, and there is more interest, the Single Player of GR sucks, OFP's single player is the best in all the games I hve ever played.

Why the British PC Gamer put Half-Life at #1 in thier top 100 I dont know (Half Life sucks, its dated, the graphics are stupid, the controls are strange the sound is awful and it reminds me of Wolfenstien 3D)

UP WITH OFP!

UP WITH GR!

DOWN WITH HALF LIFE! TO THE BARGAIN BINS #### YOU YOU CRUDDY GAME...

I think i need my Anti-Anti-Half-Life medication wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (-Farren- @ Feb. 22 2002,14:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You yanks have it bad, I mean come on your PC Gamer sucks, the brit one is better! They dont slag OFP, however, play OFP online, andyou lag, bad... Ghost Recon does not lag so much, and there is more interest, the Single Player of GR sucks, OFP's single player is the best in all the games I hve ever played.

Why the British PC Gamer put Half-Life at #1 in thier top 100 I dont know (Half Life sucks, its dated, the graphics are stupid, the controls are strange the sound is awful and it reminds me of Wolfenstien 3D)

UP WITH OFP!

UP WITH GR!

DOWN WITH HALF LIFE! TO THE BARGAIN BINS #### YOU YOU CRUDDY GAME...

I think i need my Anti-Anti-Half-Life medication wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

thought so, stfu!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">: PCG_DANIEL Feb-21 10:40 pm

Obviously tastes will diverge, but I've consistently noticed that Op:Flash fans can't take a joke. So in true PCG fashion, I'll continue to make fun of the realism lawyers<span id='postcolor'>

One could jump to a conclusion that this whole award is a joke.

GR uses a game engine which is not suited for outside missions. I mean, Red Storm has used almost the same engine since Rainbow Six. It is obsolete. GR is not total crap, but it is soulless and wrong to compare it with OFP.

OFP gives a neutral (and therefore more realistic) view of theoretical war between USA and Russia. This is something none of the "milsims" that I have played before (DF 1-3, Tom Clancy games,...) have succeeded.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Thorn @ Feb. 22 2002,14:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">thought so, stfu!<span id='postcolor'>

What is your problem

Guys,

Whats gone wrong !! this is one of the best threads I've read in ages with sensible discussion.

Wow smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (-Farren- @ Feb. 22 2002,15:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Thorn @ Feb. 22 2002,14:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">thought so, stfu!<span id='postcolor'>

What is your problem<span id='postcolor'>

Second post of you I read, blames halflife, and OFP with networks. Yanks server lag( not connect on them, for them they work ). Content nearly zero.