Sign in to follow this  
EricM

MI24 HIND : is it worth starting one ?

Quote[/b] ]

no..

the news is from 2007-03-30:

Seen the vid. Hinds have been under construction for weeks now. Without proper tools it seems not to be that easy conversion.

Plus you must take into account that even in-game helos currently don't not work properly. The next patch... It also depends which chopper model they used as a reference.

Could work in multi-player games, if they get all configs right.

Let's hope for the best. I'll believe when there is a working .pbo

wink_o.gif

Alpha/Beta-testing volunteer for Hind over here :) Beg, Grovel, Kiss your FEET, .. please?

Want to make something Russian that is original? What about the Ka-25/27/29 series? Or even better; a Mil-38 xmas_o.gif

EDIT: Should have read the whole thread before posting, that way I would have known you had settled on making a Hind. Good luck with it anyway thumbs-up.gif

Want to make something Russian that is original? What about the Ka-25/27/29 series? Or even better; a Mil-38  xmas_o.gif

EDIT: Should have read the whole thread before posting, that way I would have known you had settled on making a Hind. Good luck with it anyway  thumbs-up.gif

Ka- 27? why u want make submarie hunter? there no submarines in game yet.  biggrin_o.gif

P.S. whoever make MI-24 plz make sure its have roteted gatling-gun type cannon, i so pist of with this strikted cannon in OPF FURR 2006, and with ka -50 in Arma (cannon in ka-50 should move down and right), its would be nice if some one add options, wich allow fire 5 NURS's (57mm rockets) at once, like its posible in real life, to deliver big blast.

Plas would be nice if someone can make t-80 and t-90 tanks , and t-72 with ERA

I'm the thread starter, and since someone dug up the thread, I thought it would be worthwile to state that I am still working on my Hind for those who wonder.

It's going along nicely. I'm done with the modelling (I think I managed to get a nice detail level while keeping a low triangle count : under 8000 bare and under 9000 with all the rocket pods and stuff) and I'm almost done on the bitchy UV Mapping part (lots of curves, bumps and sticky bits)

HOWEVER, it appears that there are other quality versions much more advanced than mine, and almost ready to be released.

I'll keep working on mine, because it would be a waste to stop it now, but I'm actually thinking what kind of "Custom" version I could do to make my model worthwhile. We shall see...

I'm the thread starter, and since someone dug up the thread, I thought it would be worthwile to state that I am still working on my Hind for those who wonder.

It's going along nicely. I'm done with the modelling (I think I managed to get a nice detail level while keeping a low triangle count : under 8000 bare and under 9000 with all the rocket pods and stuff) and I'm almost done on the bitchy UV Mapping part (lots of curves, bumps and sticky bits)

HOWEVER, it appears that there are other quality versions much more advanced than mine, and almost ready to be released.

I'll keep working on mine, because it would be a waste to stop it now, but I'm actually thinking what kind of "Custom" version I could do to make my model worthwhile. We shall see...

Eric, who else make MI 24?

GranQ, Mecha Stalin and Shadow NX are making one, apparently adapted from RHS Hind from OFP (see the Arma Video thread for the "twenty four" video). It's seems it's already functional and almost ready.

Deanosbeano seem to have imported the old BIS Hind from OFP too. Don't know how well it works though.

Yeah sorry that we had to spoil the fun for EricM a bit but i said before somwhere in his thread that we plan to bring the OFP RHS pack over to ArmA and maybe it would be better to invest time into something rarer like a Ka-27 or 29 which are very cool little choppers that would fit the SLA well.

Maybe we can cooperate in future, like for the Germany 85 project we still look for people for many things, modellers, texturers, mission makers etc.

Btw, noone needs to join a team if he just wants to help, freelancers are also welcome.

I was kind of seeing it coming, that's why I started the thread : to know if there was one being done already...

Since there was no clear answer, I decided to do pull up my sleeves and make one myself...

I wasn't aware of RHS Hind for OFP. My bad I suppose...

EricM, you could always do an MI-35M version of it, shouldn't require too much change me thinks, and it's something not done previously for OFP - or at least not in a correct manner, and my guess is that the one OFP MI-35M is not going to be ported to ArmA by anyone for that reason, so since your stuff seems to look so good, maybe you could make that variant for ArmA... thumbs-up.gif

Problems - delayed numerous times, but they are still up to it.

Just have to wait.

Numerous times?

I once said Friday and then i said around easter weekend... thats not numerous... confused_o.gif

Plus he meant the one by EricM...

I don't care who does it smile_o.gif First one to get it done wins. Also, Shadow, if you need help testing it, let us know.

I don't care who does it smile_o.gif First one to get it done wins. Also, Shadow, if you need help testing it, let us know.

well its "done".. (bugs).

Eric, think about it this way. Download the RHS hind, use the config and read all the bugs in our thread. Then you know what to do to surpass us..

and mines version would really rock.

As you say it would be stupid to stop now, I say dont try to rush it but keep as your baby. Improve, add parts when the community "goes a head". Like there is some anti air defence system with warnings for the planes and stuff like that.

Will probaly come other cool scripts, tracers and so on.

Dont forget, its easier to strike from below then staying on top, so there is still hope for your Mi24 to be the best. (and it doesnt really matters does it, its the creative part thats most fun anyway)

Quote[/b] ]Eric, think about it this way. Download the RHS hind, use the config and read all the bugs in our thread

@GranQ

I Just downloaded your RHS, and first of all  notworthy.gif

Now that there is a Hind out, I don't feel the pressure to fill a void. I can keep working on it while learning from your experience.

I looked at what you did, modelling/texturing and scriptwise to see what I could improve. I like how you added alpha-mapped tubes and cables, and I think I'll steal the idea...

Parts of my model are a tad better (I have a true corridor between cargo and pilot, the cockpit is not a separate object, the rotor is slightly more accurate too) with a bit more curves here and there, and I'll add a few things to make the rest at least on par.

The main part now is finishing the UV mapping of the main LOD to avoid the 60+ textures syndrome and make texture editing easier for anyone. Currently I'm thinking of 1 big map for exterior (to change camo more easily), 1 big map for interior (cargo and cockpit) and 1 map for weapon pods (so that you can just change that file according to versions).

+ the corresponding alpha, specular, bump/normal map.

I'll try to post a picture this week (if I'm not playing too much with your Hind... )

sounds great with the textures.. and you give me way too much credit, model and textures are from SCARS/RHS.

Quote[/b] ]Eric, think about it this way. Download the RHS hind, use the config and read all the bugs in our thread

@GranQ

I Just downloaded your RHS, and first of all notworthy.gif

Now that there is a Hind out, I don't feel the pressure to fill a void. I can keep working on it while learning from your experience.

I looked at what you did, modelling/texturing and scriptwise to see what I could improve. I like how you added alpha-mapped tubes and cables, and I think I'll steal the idea...

Parts of my model are a tad better (I have a true corridor between cargo and pilot, the cockpit is not a separate object, the rotor is slightly more accurate too) with a bit more curves here and there, and I'll add a few things to make the rest at least on par.

The main part now is finishing the UV mapping of the main LOD to avoid the 60+ textures syndrome and make texture editing easier for anyone. Currently I'm thinking of 1 big map for exterior (to change camo more easily), 1 big map for interior (cargo and cockpit) and 1 map for weapon pods (so that you can just change that file according to versions).

+ the corresponding alpha, specular, bump/normal map.

I'll try to post a picture this week (if I'm not playing too much with your Hind... )

Dunno how advanced your model is but in case its not fully done would you maybe intrested to work on the RHS one?

Great texturing already and with the PSD layers i can easiely make more skins for it... that way nearly all versions could be made from it.

I'd say the model is 95% done (the higher resolution LOD). I'll add just one or two thingies I saw in in RHS's hind and which I liked but that's it. When I come home, I'll try to post a render.

I couldn't work on it lately (work/holiday/family) but hopefully I think I'll be over with the UV mapping/packing by the end of the week o next week. So far I use a checker texture to spot distortions, which gives it a funny look.

I'll try to finish this one before jumping on another project though. Slowly but surely...

Edit : when I'm done with uv mapping, I'll try to post a render of the UV template too.