Sign in to follow this  
Somerville

Ambient Wildlife

Dammit. I want my ambient wildlife in ArmA! I want sheep 'n stuff. 'Twould make RP maps much more fun.

Agreed! But I think we might have to wait, there are a lot of 'bugs' to be fixed first!  biggrin_o.gif

And why you can't post this in the other topics re. Wildlife in ArmA? whistle.gif

I think the birds that are already in are the most important. Maybe add couple more species, crows etc. Ofcource some farm animals could also fit in the North Sahrani countryside. But I think it might be little unrealistic if you would bump into bears and wolfs and other big mammals every time you go take a walk in the woods. It would be nice if they were in, but in moderate amounts.

Aparently BIS *might* add these in a later patch, but they are nowhere near being on the immediate agenda.

Though i think it would be hilarious to be sniping on the edge of a treeline, ..... then mauled to pieces by a giant bear ^^

Dammit. I want my ambient wildlife in ArmA! I want sheep 'n stuff. 'Twould make RP maps much more fun.

So you want sheep you say....hmmmmm

biggrin_o.gif

for those lonely nights camping then???

Why isnt there a puking smiley somwhere biggrin_o.gif

I was happy with seagull mode biggrin_o.gif

i think it would be far too unrealistic to have such large predatory mamals such as bears on such a small island how ever small that population might be.

in 400 square Km of land you might find 3-4 bears during the fall season, and thats near rivers.

it would be more believable to have smaller predators such as foxes and cayote's.

as far as farm animals goes, pigs, sheep, goats, cows, hourses, and even chickens are all good.

still wish that someday ofp engine will allow to show civil life on their islands. Just for the atmosphere, a bit like in gta series with people roaming round going along there daily life and running for cover as soon as military activity starts. Would make the whole world a lot more believable.

It's not beliveable at all as a setting unless there are at least some domestic animals around. There are animals in Virtual Battle Space and OFP. Is it so hard to covert those for ArmA?

Even if it was a commercial add-on I would propably get it,

just to make the locations more alive.

patience i think some mods will add wildlife if not Bis will do it in a patch. smile_o.gif

It's not beliveable at all as a setting unless there are at least some domestic animals around. There are animals in Virtual Battle Space and OFP. Is it so hard to covert those for ArmA?

Even if it was a commercial add-on I would propably get it,

just to make the locations more alive.

Apart from the legal/licencing question converting these addons to ArmA, it's also a question of time.

It's not that you just import the models in Oxygen and save them again to make them work in ArmA. It's a lot more you must do.

While it's not much work to import vehicles into ArmA, importing Humans (and thus animals) is a completely different story.

I Agree, more animals would be cool (Dogs/Sheep/Cows mainly). There are bits of rabbits AI in Arma files, and still no rabbits around...

Cows don't move too much, so one could maybe make a quick static cow for a starter...

Quick static cows would only last a few seconds, until players start pumping them with their M4 and wonder why they don't bleed or die.

Even the simplest of animals need basic AI and animations. Actually, cows would only really need five anims:

- stand

- walk (trot?)

- run (gallop?)

- eat (grase?)

- die

And their AI would be:

- stand around

- eat at random intervals

- make a "moo" sound at random intervals

- walk a few steps to a random location at random intervals

- run away a few meters if in danger

That's all really. Damn I want the tools. All this thinking about cows has made me want to make a cow.

I want to make a cow!!! yay.gif

rofl, i can just imagine landing at a LZ in a field with a load of cows and sheep running for it rofl.gif then a guy jumping out the chopper with a hunting rifle shouting "Hears the Farmer!!!" rofl.gif

rofl, i can just imagine landing at a LZ in a field with a load of cows and sheep running for it  rofl.gif then a guy jumping out the chopper with a hunting rifle shouting "Hears the Farmer!!!"  rofl.gif

rofl.gif Nice!

Is there still a Kozlice in ArmA? I think that would be best suited for hunting down those pesky farm animals.

And imagine a skirmish around a farm: you have to cross a field, so you shoot a few cows and sheep - and use their bodies as cover!

I think an improvement on the birds would be nice at some stage, when new features can be thought about. Flitting smaller birds I'm thinking of, not the larger ones we have now.

Also, small flocks rising when disturbed, especially good for people trying to sneak through bushes & forests. Keep quiet & slow or else whoosh - birds aloft.

That would be cool for those times when you're expecting an attack, seeing a flock suddenly rise would clue you in.

The only animals i miss from VBS1 are the rabbits. They were good to scatter about the fields in small groups (adding a group had it's own scripts, making the rabbits run around quite realistically). Plus if you got bored you could do a spot of target practice...

After reading what EricM said about rabbit Ai being in ArmA, one can only hope they will impliment them fully into the game.

There's a Rabbit Head and a Wolf (dog?) hidden somewhere among the files if i remember right, i even saw some screens of 'em.

yepp apperently there are think in arma directory somewhere there are rabbits,wolfs and one other?

but no configs for them! wink_o.gif

And their AI would be:

- stand around

- eat at random intervals

- make a "moo" sound at random intervals

- walk a few steps to a random location at random intervals

- run away a few meters if in danger

That's all really. Damn I want the tools. All this thinking about cows has made me want to make a cow.

I want to make a cow!!! yay.gif

Rofl... I think you caught the characteristics of cows quite well... biggrin_o.gif

He forgot watching trains and cars passing by.  tounge2.gif

...and...

"following you about - even if you throw stones at them to shoo them away",

"suddenly appearing out of the darkness at night and scaring the crap out of you",

"coming over for a chat when you're trying to spy on the IRA",

"going insane and stampeding with a bunch of cowfriends through your bivouac"

and of course...

"dropping manure" (the latter could be implemented as a landmine in ArmA -

making a squelching sound rather than a bang)