Sign in to follow this  
Callsign

The cheapest alternative to TrackIR!

First of all, excuse my ignorance if this is posted in the wrong thread.

Basically i was messing about just flying over Sahrani and i wondered if there was a way of looking about whilst flying so that i could see what was going on, like how TrackIR/or similar products work. In my wisdom, or stupidity, depending on what you think,

I placed my mouse on the floor and moved it with my feet, and in conjunction with holding the left ALT (free look i think its called?) button along with flying normally in-game this meant i could move my head in-game (using my feet) and fly using the normal controls, just as if i was using Track IR and flying normally.

Ok so when you have to leave your helicopter you would need to get ur mouse onto your desk fairly quickly, but i think it is the only way of looking about normally and flying in a helicopter in-game without having to spend many hard earned (or not so hard earned pennies)!.

Give it a go, after i got used to using my feet with the mouse, it works quite well!

bootneckofficer

p.s holding left ALT continually whilst flying does hurt a lil, but i figure its worth it!

LOL

10 points for innovation rofl.gif

There was a thread about a sort of TrackIR which uses your webcam as the tracking device. IIRC it wasn't the best of devices, but it worked ok.

Even better try using your nose to operate your mouse, once you get used to the restricted visibility it works like a charm!

Oh I have a even better way of doing this

Quote[/b] ]

Materials Needed

1x mouse (preferably laser)

1x Broom handle (nick your mums or your wife's)

1x Roll of Gaffa tape (PVC tape etc)

Instructions

1. Tape down broom handle onto the top of your computer monitor so that the end of the handle almost touches your forehead whilst you are sitting at your PC

2. Tape the mouse to the end of the broom stick so that the infra-red sensor points towards your forehead and the mouse lead is pointing up

3. Place your forehead against the mouse and move your head Wink

Does it work? omg it does

Extra Notes

1. Those that are balding will be at an advantage

2. you will need to reverse the xy axis of the mouse ingame

trakirjp5.png

DSC00686.jpg

note not my idea

p.s holding left ALT continually whilst flying does hurt a lil, but i figure its worth it!

from the ArmA online Manual:

Left Alt - Free Look Switch (2xLeft ALT Toggle Free Look)

smile_o.gif

ROFL very funny indeed, biggrin_o.gif nice to see a little humour for a change.

Or you could just use the numpad buttons to move your characters head around while ingame icon_rolleyes.gif

Can you operate the mouse with high heels also ?

You know, I´m always playing Arma with high heels on

and I don´t want to loose that feature.

Can you pls test ? biggrin_o.gif

Is there a patch for it already ?

Will it work on my C 64 ?

Good one ! biggrin_o.gif

I use a cheap 7.99 webcam with cam2pan/newview and it works exactly like TrackIR. It tracks my head movements flawlessly and is smooth as glass and has never lost centre in any games I use it with even if I leave the PC and come back the tracking is still calibrated, it works that well.

The main down side is that it uses a considerable amount of CPU resources compared to TrackIR so it can present problems to people using lower and machines. I use a dual core CPU so it doesn't effect my performance in games.

Here's how it looks in Arma using Cam2pan and a cheapo webcam (not my vid but performs just the same)

@ bootneckofficer

Cool idea! smile_o.gif Seriously.

To further lessen your hassle of getting the single mouse back on the table in (hectic) times,

why dont you just plug in an second USB mouse and leave it under the table?

New definition:

HOTAS =

H/FOTAS;M

lol

I use a cheap 7.99 webcam with cam2pan/newview and it works exactly like TrackIR. It tracks my head movements flawlessly and is smooth as glass and has never lost centre in any games I use it with even if I leave the PC and come back the tracking is still calibrated, it works that well.

The main down side is that it uses a considerable amount of CPU resources compared to TrackIR so it can present problems to people using lower and machines. I use a dual core CPU so it doesn't effect my performance in games.

Here's how it looks in Arma using Cam2pan and a cheapo webcam (not my vid but performs just the same)

How exactly do you have the webcam rigged up? Could you post a pic?

Thanks

Mandrake

For the ultimate experience I get a mate to stand behind me and jiggle the chair around when riding in vehicles. I had to stop him punching me when I got shot though. wink_o.gif

For the ultimate experience I get a mate to stand behind me and jiggle the chair around when riding in vehicles. I had to stop him punching me when I got shot though.  wink_o.gif

lol brilliant! does he have a watering can for when it starts to rain?

ever thought about just using 2 mouses? that way you could have one on the ground, and one in your hand, thus being able to switch faster between the 2.

It's possible to have 2 mouses running at the same time.

The laser mouse on a stick arrangement would work even

better if you drew a grid on your forehead with a felt-tipped

pen! Or maybe stick some self adhesive spots on it. I usually

stick the reflective spot for my TrackIR on the end of my

nose (I've found it works best there) - more than once I've

paused a game and nipped out to the shops forgetting it was

there   crazy_o.gif  (although as a mildly eccentric artist most

people are already used to seeing me coming and going

covered in various mysterious coloured substances. The best

one recently was when I tried bronze casting - it turned my

skin green for days and wouldn't scrub off - I looked like a

decomposing body! )

This is unacceptable, this Broomstick Pro device is sooooo incomplete/beta version, and totally unplayable. I tried to install the mouse2feet patch, but f*cking starforce will not let me activate the damn thing.

Is Suma or BIS going to do anything about that ? I WANT A REFUND !! Now I can't even sweep the dust in my appartment without having to plug off the USB mouse stuck on it.

In BF2, I could tidy my room with a broomstick AND play at the same time, why isn't this possible in ArmA ? And No I won't stop trolling.

I bought the "utlimate military sim" and all I get is those weird artifacts in my eyes and that sharp pain in the head when I get to close to the monitor (and yes I defragged my brain and my driving licence is uptodate)

I'm leaving this crap.

BIS forum at it´s best biggrin_o.gif

Been a while since I had so many laughs in one thread.

Oh, there is a better way.. just put a box on the table in front of the keyboard. Table pus box should reach up to your head. Then place the mouse on it and maneuvre it with your chin!  tounge2.gif