Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

is the M119 howitzer supposed to not work?

Im a little confused..

I set up a mission so that I could try out the artillary aspect of the game, only to find.. there is none..

If you set up a T72 500 meters from an AI m119 it will engauge it..  it takes several direct hits to kill it which is retarded but regardless.. it will shoot at it..

at 1000 meters the AI will engauge persons.. but not armor..  even with a direct line of sight.

it wont in any circumstances (that I could create)do any kind of indirect fire..  so you cant call in a arty strike on a tank position or building etc etc from your arty guys at a firebase far away..

am I missing something? doing something wrong? or does it just flat out not work?

Somewhere on the forums, is an example provided by someone (Balschoiw I think) that shows how the artillery can be used for indirect fire via an AI(or player) spotter.

BIS is constantly bombarded with comments such as:

"Fantastic work BIS"

"Great job!"

"BIS is the kind of dev that listens to the community"

Any attempt to offer criticism or request features is often met with hostility and sentiments like:

"Wot d0 we Ned ArtilLARRy 4? U waNT to JoiN real ArmY LoLZORs"

or

"sTFU up N00b just B3CA4use U caN+ pwN At HeXxeNkessEl Lik3 M3 U wont Fag Arty n00b!!!

Often these people can be identified as people who play CTF and other mindless pvp types that barely scratch the surface of OFP's and ArmA's potential.

Death to mindless CTF.

Yes to indirect fire, suppressing fire, 6 digit grid references and numbered contour lines.

I really thought I was doing something wrong..

So basically they just kinda.. decided not to implement one of, if not the most valuable weapons since modern war started..

artillary has been the "big stick" of an army since WW1 and in Arma it is now non existant??!

thats insane.. equally as crazy as if they had not.. for example put in any machine guns, or Tanks, or .. the WHEEL!

I love this game to death and enjoy playing it.. that being said, not having ANY form of indirect fire support modeled, be it mortars,artillary, MLRS.. ANYTHING!! is... RETARDED...

considering all the last patch managed to do was.. lower FPS and piss everybody off, I doubt seeing the arty implemented any time soon is a pipe dream. banghead.gif

Also, Balschoiw's mods for it works.. but only in a very limited way.. still has to be line of sight and is still very distance limited..

in fact tanks will engauge targets farther away than the Arty will even with his mod..

I really thought I was doing something wrong..

So basically they just kinda.. decided not to implement one of, if not the most valuable weapons since modern war started..

artillary has been the "big stick" of an army since WW1 and in Arma it is now non existant??!

thats insane.. equally as crazy as if they had not.. for example put in any machine guns, or Tanks, or .. the WHEEL!

I love this game to death and enjoy playing it.. that being said, not having ANY form of indirect fire support modeled, be it mortars,artillary, MLRS.. ANYTHING!! is... RETARDED...

considering all the last patch managed to do was.. lower FPS and piss everybody off, I doubt seeing the arty implemented any time soon is a pipe dream. banghead.gif

The engine is capable of simulating artillery, this was true in OFP also.

The only problem there was that most shells were set to disappear after a certain number of seconds flight.

However the AI does not know how to use artillery without the help of some clever scripting.

True salisan. BIS could have planned ahead and increased the shell live time maximum to cater for this ... but they didn't.

Meaning you will need to hack around it.

True salisan. BIS could have planned ahead and increased the shell live time maximum to cater for this ... but they didn't.

Meaning you will need to hack around it.

Probably because if a tank fires a shell off into the sky the game will crash if they don't limit the time it runs for.

Hi Wobble,

I'd recommend visiting the editing & scripting thread for help on this problem, theres loads of useful info in there about Artillery that should help you out until BIS address the issue. smile_o.gif

"Fantastic work BIS"

"Great job!"

Any attempt  to offer criticism or request features is often met with hostility and sentiments like:

or

"sTFU up N00b just B3CA4use U caN+ pwN At HeXxeNkessEl Lik3 M3 U wont Fag Arty n00b!!!

Often these people can be identified as people who play CTF and other mindless pvp  types that barely scratch the surface of OFP's and ArmA's potential.

Death to mindless CTF.

Yes to indirect fire, suppressing fire, 6 digit grid references and numbered contour lines.

I find the above quote insulting and pointless. I am a OFP CTF veteren and I find it insulting to infer that CTF is "mindless" It is in fact the complete opposite requiring coordination tactics and immense levels of team play.  Just cause youve been owned yourself on a PUBLIC server hosting the shitty Hexenkessal (which i may add is very close to being a TDM instead of a CTF) ,dont tar all CTF with the same brush.

"Fantastic work BIS"

"Great job!"

Any attempt  to offer criticism or request features is often met with hostility and sentiments like:

or

Often these people can be identified as people who play CTF and other mindless pvp  types that barely scratch the surface of OFP's and ArmA's potential.

Death to mindless CTF.

agreed. well, PvP is not so bad (in fact, it's the only way to experience "realistic" combat in ArmA for now). however, there's not so much difference between ArmA and other game for any "conquer the ~" and "capture the ~" type of game (I'm a big fan of COOP game tounge2.gif ).

why BIS didn't implemented even just simple arty feature ("click on the map for coordinate" type) while they did it for VBS1... it could bring some wow to the gameplay than STOVL for Harrier...

we need the CoC now!! notworthy.gif

This is unfortunately another big misconception BIS PR has created.

The artillery pieces in armed assault are actually some kind of AT-gun. You have to look at them as static tanks.

The bullets they fire have in BI default a shell-live time of I think 30secs as already said.

To be fair to BIS,they actually enabled you to increase shell-livetime this time around smile_o.gif

Now,luckily for us there is a mod-group called "Chain of Command" which consists of very smart people who most likely will make script-systems and artillery ammunition that enables us to call in true indirect fire over many kilometers smile_o.gif.

And if I am truly honest,I don't believe a system made by BIS would even come close to that,because they again would have to please everyone,ruining the whole thing from the beginning smile_o.gif

Any attempt to offer criticism or request features is often met with hostility and sentiments like:

or

Can you show me where someone said that on the forum ?

Actually I have the impression that there are many useful discussions about features and aspects of Armed Assault going on.

Additionally, a search for "Artillery" would have brought up THIS