Sign in to follow this  
hreich

Is two controllers setup possible?

Ok, can anybody tell me if it is possible to setup two controlers like this: saitek x52 for helicopter controls throttle and cyclic, and Thrustmaster pedals for tail rotor control?

I can't see why not, as long as Windows recognises them both just define the buttons as you want in game.

That's more or less what I got set up, a Cougar HOTASS and TM rudders, does the job fine. Need to go through the controls setup and assign the rudders and throttle.

I meant is it possible in Arma to setup two controllers---

Not yet, but they intend to add this possibility into a future patch. Not sure when though.

Yes, that's what I meant when I said you have to set up the throttle & rudder assignments, you need to do it ingame.

By two controllers, you mean your CH joystick is one controller and your TM rudder is another controller? That works fine for me, although I have to say that my rudder is connected to my Cougar directly. I don't know whether that makes it all one controller or not.

That makes it one controller.

I have the same problem as the original poster. Two controllers aren't currently supported.

I've got the following: -

-Microsoft USB joystick

-Saitek steering-wheel & foot-pedals.

I want to use those pedals in choppers whilst using my joystick (not bothered about the steering-wheel itself).

-Fenix out.

Can I second this please. I have saitek rudder pedals which are a seperate device to the joystick.

I had a similar problem with good old battlefield vietnam. In that case it wasn't that it couldn't use 2 controllers, just that its scanning of controllers when binding in the options screens were limited to the first one plugged in. You could edit the configuration files by hand and specify the second controller and it would work fine.

Perhaps it is possible to do something like this with ArmA?

Edit: It seems a large unique number identifies each axis in the user profile file...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

keyHeliCyclicLeft[]={30,203,196616};

keyHeliCyclicRight[]={32,205,196608};

keyHeliRudderLeft[]={45,211};

keyHeliRudderRight[]={46,207};

Would anyone know how to determine this code for the second controller (if possible)?

Edit: Looking at other axes in the config file, the numbers appear to be a bitmask of a long int. Eg,

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

TrackIR axes: 262144 + axis_id = 2^18 + axis_id

Mouse axes: 1048576 + axis_id = 2^20 + axis_id

Buttons on my joystick: 131072 + button_id = 2^17 + button_id

Axes on my joystick: 196608 + axes_id = 2^17 + 2^16 + axis_id

So the question is, have they allowed for a second controller in their mapping algorithm/bitmask code, and if so what are the ranges. If we can determine this, then at least we can work around the lack of polling the second controller (if possible).

Regards,

Lee

its possible to use 2 controllers. i know becuase i do it.

just unplug one when you launch arma, then plug the other in. in my case that means leaving my joystick plugged in and unplugging my n52 controller till after launch.

i bought a usb extension so the join is right next to my mousepad, so its easy to just split the cable till after it starts

btw i use trackir as well, but that seems to work fine without unplugging.

So let me check this. You unplug one of the controllers, launch the game, then plug it back in before you go to bind?

Offtopic, what do you think of TrackIR? I'm thinking of getting one.

There is a software program around that will make all your controllers appear as one in windows and ArmA. Don't know where to find it, never needed it myself.

My joystick works fine

My Saitek steering wheel + pedals don't work in ArmA

Unplugging my wheel didn't work for me.

its possible to use 2 controllers. i know becuase i do it.

just unplug one when you launch arma, then plug the other in. in my case that means leaving my joystick plugged in and unplugging my n52 controller till after launch.

i bought a usb extension so the join is right next to my mousepad, so its easy to just split the cable till after it starts

btw i use trackir as well, but that seems to work fine without unplugging.

I tried this with my Saitek Pro Pedals and still no response, I even tried setting them as the Preferred device in the CP.Im also running TrackIR but I cant see how that relates

Same,

sirex could you please provide us with the steps you took to get two controllers working? Your previous post wasn't very descriptive.

Regards,

Lee

not alot more description to put really.

1) i unplug n52.

2) start game

3) plug n52 in

4) go have fun.

i mean, thats litrally what i do. my joystick is a saitek evo so the throttle is built in, and the trackir stays in (either on clip pro or vector mode depending if i got mi hat on and speakers or headphones)

and ot: the trackir is intresting. still 75% sold on it atm, sometimes i turn it off but sometimes its nice to have, depends.

edit: this is on XP pro by the way.

Are you using the N52 in the game or are you just unplugging it so the saitek is detected?

If I follow this procedure I still cannot bind my saitek foot pedals to any controls in the game's options. banghead.gif

Edit: Okay, after looking at what a N52 is, it turns out to be a keyboard device, not a game controller. sirex We are talking about two game controllers, eg joystick and foot pedals. Thanks for trying anyway. smile_o.gif

hmmm, it shows up in the game controller screen so i thought it'd count. either way with the amount of crap i have plugged in i'd be very suprised if you cant get this to work. -- just keep fiddling. i could try it with my wheel/pedels but i think thats a bit ott for driving a humvee, and my pedels plug into the wheel then on to the usb port so i suspect they show up as one controller.

like a previous poster said, last ditch measure would be merging the axis into one using third party software.

Yeah it looks like it may finally be time to give Virtual Joysticks a go

I found a link for the Software Im talking about over at the Saitek Forums

I dont have any real info on it but I will of course test it a bit and post my results. Basically it allow multliple axis when only one controller is supported

LINK

The problem I think is going to be that the pedals are Y and Z axes on my steering wheel - and both those axes are used by the joystick. The game requires something like "joystick2 X axis" rather than "joystick X axis".

That virtual device driver... I'd be surprised and pleased if that worked at all but I still think you'd run up against the issue above: there're only 3 usable axes in the game whereas you need 5 if you're going to have pedals.

F

well, yu could make it appear as a 3 or 4 axis joysitck, just bind those axis properly and it should work

Well basically that program allows you to create as many axis/buttons as you want, but they are all seen as one device.

I just havent had any time to test it, but if you D/L it it has some decent pictures that pretty much show it just the way I explained it. you can basically assign as many controllers as you have onto to "one" device

ppjoyjoywj2.gif

Ah, I was dubious because it talks exclusively about "parallel port" joysticks so haven't installed it. Will if I get time but my girlfriend's visiting at the moment yay.gif