Sign in to follow this  

Dual Core users/And others/Resolution in Sight?

Got the 8800GTSOC on AMD Anthalon Dual core 4600+ an I have no idea what to do now, at first the game seemed to fair well but after sometime everything goes to hell in a hay basket an my fps goes up/down up/down. tried all kinds of settings high normal an low. Don't know much abot this card, gettin US version soon an see how things fair out on 1.06 otherwise taking the 8800 off an putting the 7600 back on as at least that was stable. Do all 8800's run hot?? Cuz thats the only thing i can think of maybe an would it getting hot cause a dramatic fps loss, I'm such a noob at all this stuff.

FYI  I never had any problems at all, game runs fine and stable at an average 20-30 fps. 1.05+ made no noticable difference to me performance wise.

my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (running at 2.4 GHz)

ATI X850XT, 256MB

Creative Audigy2

2 GB

WinXP Pro SP2 (pagefile deactivated)

FYI  I never had any problems at all, game runs fine and stable at an average 20-30 fps. 1.05+ made no noticable difference to me performance wise.

my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (running at 2.4 GHz)

ATI X850XT, 256MB

Creative Audigy2

2 GB

WinXP Pro SP2 (pagefile deactivated)

Mine runs about the same 20-40 FPS with a mix of average and high settings except shadows and Post processing on low.

X2 3800+

2GB 667MHz

7600GT

Gigabyte Mobo.

Wrong time of day to recall more details.

a colleague tried to explain the multicore-thingy so that I can understand it.

Basic outcome:

- you need to write/optimize your SW from the scratch for multicore/multithread to avoid that one operation at one core does not need to wait for another operation on another core which would jeopardize the complete thing --> forget it for ArmA

- the dev. with experience in writing an application that really benefits from multicore costs in average 1,5 times more ---> no hope for Game2

- For ArmA server and client it helps already to "lock" processes to cores to ensure that ArmA server/client gets its own core alone while all other processes utilizing the other cores

- it is possible that a single core application runs with less performance then on a multi core platform, I can not repeat the reason, was to complicated for me, all I understood is that the distribution scheduling over the cores alone sucks performance

Pretty good post, got the fundamentals right.

Also could add that as soon as you introduce multiple threads there's a whole host of new types of hard to reproduce and eradicate bugs that you can easily introduce into your application. So: much care required, and best designed that way from the ground up to minimise problems.

I think there are many people in this forum who would complain very loudly if it started randomly freezing in mid game because of a deadlock condition, for example ;o)