Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Ingame VOIP not heard

... a friend of mine hosts our games, and ingame I tried out the VOIP functionality. By default it's mapped to the Caps Lock key, and when I press it I get the little microphone icon flash up for as long as I hold the button, but no other player hears me at all.

My friend is not running a dedicated server, he is playing on the machine that hosts. As far as he can tell there's no settings for VOIP, and none of us know where any config settings are likely to be aside from the profile one, which looks fine.

EAX on/off, hardware on/off, we tried it all. Googling and searching did not throw up any solutions, so I start a new thread to see if this is unusual or if there's simply an overlooked obvious answer for us.

Anyone know of any procedure we need to follow to enable/fix the VOIP?

We have the same issues, will be interesting to find the fix or have it fixed in newer version if nececairy, VOIP is cool and I think the implementation is very very great in ArmA, especially the direct talk etc.... This adds soooo much to the immersion, and the handyness of voice... over any type of voice communication smile_o.gif

Did you check the Bug Tracking System if the bug was mentioned ?

Did you check the Bug Tracking System if the bug was mentioned ?

Only mention there is a bug where the direct communication channel wasn't working when all the other channels were. (Which is since fixed) Seems to work for most people, I thought I would make sure I'm not causing this myself before raising a bug report on it smile_o.gif

Only mention there is a bug where the direct communication channel wasn't working when all the other channels were. (Which is since fixed) Seems to work for most people, I thought I would make sure I'm not causing this myself before raising a bug report on it smile_o.gif

I heard at least from 2 other communities that have issues with the ingame voicechat, so I think it's simply broken or a problem with settings and/or new ports needed etc. etc.

I can confirm, that VOIP doesn't work. We've tried to use it on dedicated server. I've even checked, that disableVOIP = 0; in config.

Severity = minor... are you guys kidding me?

This needs to be fixed, no idea whats wrong with it.. but i did some testing yesterday, "all" ports open and so on but not a word nothing. This was a feature that you even can read about in the manual.

Anyone ever got it to work? If so, during what conditions?

Severity = minor... are you guys kidding me?

This needs to be fixed, no idea whats wrong with it.. but i did some testing yesterday, "all" ports open and so on but not a word nothing. This was a feature that you even can read about in the manual.

Anyone ever got it to work? If so, during what conditions?

I raised the fault and I set it as minor. The general gameplay is unaffected, and there are 3rd party VOIP solutions such as Ventrilo that do just as good a job. I wanted to use one unique function of the ingame VOIP and that was the direct channel option, where only people within earshot can hear you.

I got to agree with GranQ on this, its not a minor bug, its a whole feature thats missing.

I raised the fault and I set it as minor. The general gameplay is unaffected, and there are 3rd party VOIP solutions such as Ventrilo that do just as good a job. I wanted to use one unique function of the ingame VOIP and that was the direct channel option, where only people within earshot can hear you.

Im not sure, but I think the priority/severety of an item should not be decided on grounds of personal preference but general preference and look from the customers point and not from ur own. But I guess that's maybe just me?

I go with GranQ, its certainly higher than Minor. It's a whole feature that is not working, and there are many ppl out there that DO prefer ingame voice comms, especially the ease of use without need of switching channels in another program but simply using the ingame channels, aswell as direct speak, as well as vehicle speak, as well as the immersion you get from direct speak... It is something we have been longing at for quite a while and found it SHATE it was not working in sockets mode for OFP smile_o.gif

Well I set it at what I judged to be an appropriate level. I used to be a developer so I'm used to judging fault severities and when the next highest level is "major" with only "crash" being higher I decided that it was a minor bug. I'm prepared to go either way with this, I'm not too bothered about being wrong, when all's said and done I'm just a customer raising a fault and setting the level myself, which shouldn't really happen in any case.

The plain fact is that the game can function fine in all other respects, a major bug (given the limited number of severities available) would be one in which progression and gameplay was not possible, or was severely impeded. Losing VOIP is an annoyance, and yes it's a documented feature but the fault is not a showstopper. I might have promoted this to higher than minor if there were more appropriate levels but really I think I made the appropriate choice given the steps available.

In any case it sounds like it'll be a fairly quick & easy fix as it was only recently broken, with a recent related bugfix probably the cause.

It doesn't work in OFP either.... Never has!

And now BIS has implementet it in ArmA too, and still not working???

Are you guys, sure?? (I'll check this out when I get home)

It doesn't work in OFP either.... Never has!

And now BIS has implementet it in ArmA too, and still not working???

Are you guys, sure?? (I'll check this out when I get home)

Rofl, yeah we're sure.

Anyway... DMarkwick I think ur right in choosing Minor due to the limited available options, I did not take those into consideration and reading ur reasoning for the choice; I have to say I agree aswell biggrin_o.gif

I've got the in-game voice chat working in 1.05 with one other player. We hear each other perfectly, and the direct talk also works exactly like it should, with lip sync etc.

However, we are the only ones hearing each other, the voice chat does not work at all with any other players, or among the others.

Ventrilo is a good temporary solution, but nothing beats directional, proximity based direct talk with lipsync!

While the problem with the voice chat is fixed, maybe sound quality level could be put a bit higher for direct talk? The quality is fine for radio channels.

I've got the in-game voice chat working in 1.05 with one other player. We hear each other perfectly, and the direct talk also works exactly like it should, with lip sync etc.  

However, we are the only ones hearing each other, the voice chat does not work at all with any other players, or among the others.

Ventrilo is a good temporary solution, but nothing beats directional, proximity based direct talk with lipsync!

While the problem with the voice chat is fixed, maybe sound quality level could be put a bit higher for direct talk? The quality is fine for radio channels.

1.04 it was working perfect for many I heard.

1.0/1.01/1.02 had issues when Hardware Acceleration was enabled, on some systems.

In 1.05 sometimes we can hear someone.... but at another time we can't

Your tests were on a dedicated server or ingame? Mine are all dedicated..

I fully agree... the quality of voice should be upped a lil! But also I think it would be great if they would add a server setting with let's say 4 different voice codec settings: 4, 8, 16, 24 kbits or so?

Maybe if more agree we can make it in the wishlist? smile_o.gif

you guys forget the biggest thing with ingame voice com.

Public servers you join to play 1-2 missions with "strangers"..

Good to hear it HAS worked.. will play around with the hardware settings.

1.04 it was working perfect for many I heard.

1.0/1.01/1.02 had issues when Hardware Acceleration was enabled, on some systems.

In 1.05 sometimes we can hear someone.... but at another time we can't

Your tests were on a dedicated server or ingame? Mine are all dedicated..

I fully agree... the quality of voice should be upped a lil! But also I think it would be great if they would add a server setting with let's say 4 different voice codec settings: 4, 8, 16, 24 kbits or so?

Maybe if more agree we can make it in the wishlist? smile_o.gif

Our tests have been all on dedicated server. We've tried to turn on/off hardware acceleration, and it seems to have no effect at all. I hope this'll be working in the future, as it's one of the most expected feature for many co-op communities, and it adds alot to the immersion of the game.

One thing that the in-game voice chat also needs is a separate volume for it. Now it's almost impossible to hear others while driving in a vehicle or helicopter, even if their microphone recording volume has been set max in Windows Recording Control and microphone boost is enabled. Turning down the effects volume won't help, since it seems to turn down the voice chat volume too, so the relative volume between vehicles and voice chat stays the same.

What Arma Need, is a "Microphone input volume" setting and a local test function, to hear your voice volume.

So you can fine tune your voice for other.

You speak for the other so i find pretty harsh to not be able to set it up correctly so other can hear you. (volume too low, too loud etc..)

What Arma Need, is a "Microphone input volume" setting and a local test function, to hear your voice volume.

Isn't it the Windows Voice Settings it uses? Control Panel, Sounds & Audio Devices, Voice Tab?

Could you tell us exactly how you set it up (router settings, windows settings, router hardware, etc.), that might give us clues how to use it?

Could you tell us exactly how you set it up (router settings, windows settings, router hardware, etc.), that might give us clues how to use it?

We haven't found any common settings between those who has the voice chat working. Today we found out that the in-game voice chat works for another player also, so total 3 players have got it working so far (and I'm one of them). For those who has it working, everything works, including the direct talk. I don't know which windows settings to look for, or router settings. For sound hardware I just have basic integrated Realtek AC97-compatible system, and one of the players who does not have in-game voice chat working has the same.

Many guys who used to have the voice chat working before 1.05 patch, doesn't hear anything anymore. I'll try to look if there is anything common in the hardware or settings for those who has it working.

I would also like to know how to get the ingame voice working and would be interested in any information that would help me get this working. Two of us have attempted to use it but were not successful. banghead.gif

Some good suggestions in here.

First priority: get it working or give us the circumstances in which it should work.

Second priority: add a config settings in the menu's which states "diminish all other sounds when voicecomm is used by yourself or other players". And implement this of course.

Monk.

In v1.04 I was able to hear more people than were able to hear me. I remember just one session where the whole squad could speak and be heard - and it was great.

In v1.05, I haven't heard a soul, except for the increasing use of .ogg sound-clip files where some folks have put their own voices in to preset voice-commands.

AFAIK, this is described elsewhere as a known issue. In the meantime, I'm running TeamSpeak and Ventrilo at the same time whilst playing so I can talk to my clan and my on-server team. I've also unbound the ArmA VOIP key.

When I did use the VOIP, I was neevr quite sure whether I should hold the key down or just tap it once for on and once for off. According to the HUD it seemed to work like an on/off switch.

-Fenix out