Sign in to follow this  
Drew77

Cras that burn forever

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to make cars burn forever. Beciase I like it better when cars burn (more smoke, more fire) and those little camp fires are to samll, so is there a way to make more smoke and fire or cars to burn longer, let me know.Thanks

The traditional approach is to have an ever-repeating script running that insta-heals and then re-kills the object in question whenever it approaches the end of its life. Here, this should do it:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_car = _this select 0

_time = _this select 1

#NeverEndingLoop

~0.1

_car setDamage 1

~_time

_car setDamage 0

goto "NeverEndingLoop"

Copy-paste that into notepad, save it as something like, say "carburn.sqs" (no quotes) into your mission folder, and then run it in, for instance, the init field of the car as so:

[this, 60] exec "carburn.sqs"

Then just mess around with the "time" factor (it's in seconds) -> I believe different objects smoke for different amounts of time, just make it whatever suits you best. smile_o.gif Good luck.

Regards,

Wolfrug

Wolfrug

thanks this blows up great

but i have one small prob i cant get it to loop

i can change the burn time from 10 to 120 seconds

but i cant get it to loop (burn again)

i copyed the code straight from the screen .

i even tryed to read up on looping items/commands

and ended up with a sore head .

so can someone please re explain to me or help in any way

bk1276

A more basic option would be to setpos a fire (inflame) under the vehicle.

You can also set the height of the fire so it is hidden inside the vehicle but the flames and smoke still show.

I have used this basic method to reasonable effect.

I have the same prob BK1276 has. ^^^^^

ArmA= One of the best games I have ever played

Hey, got your PM, and tried the script in the editor.

What strangeness crazy_o.gif My observations:

It works - it really does. Loops nicely. Try it with something that explodes when it's setdamaged to 1 (like a tank), and you can spot every loop of the script. BUT, after a couple of loops it starts getting out of synch...loops slower, for some reason, and eventually doesn't loop at all, at which point the vehicle stops burning. HOWEVER, if you put a couple of bullets in the vehicle, it'll start burning again! crazy_o.gif Sometimes it started burning after itself after a couple of seconds of not-burning.

I just tried it by switching the code around so that it actually physically spawns a new car at every loop (same type, same position, same direction) : no cigar. It still stops after a while, at which point no shooting or nudging works.

I put in a check to see how many times it loops, and even without any of the other commands, it loops a maximum of 7 (! ) times. And considerably slower than it should (doesn't seem to matter what the value of the ~ is, in fact. Argh! )

I don't know what to tell you - anyone else have any clue why the thing won't loop for more than 7 times? I'd write you a .sqf, but those things are known for not being very loopative. Then again it could probably be made to run itself for all eternity. Argh. We'll see what I can do.

Strange, strange, strange stuff, nonetheless.

Regards,

Wolfrug

A more basic option would be to setpos a fire (inflame) under the vehicle.

You can also set the height of the fire so it is hidden inside the vehicle but the flames and smoke still show.

I have used this basic method to reasonable effect.

I use this all the time, especially when I add static, destroyed, vehicles and when destroying buildings. It works fine but the only thing I don't like is the smoke effect looks silly next to any object that was actually destroyed ingame as the smoke trail is far too small.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stretch out the smoke effect and make it trail higher into the sky?

I thought I'd add that creating more than one fire in the same location makes it a bit more robust in appearance but does nothing for the smoke effect.

Thanks.

Hey, got your PM, and tried the script in the editor.

What strangeness  crazy_o.gif My observations:

It works - it really does. Loops nicely. Try it with something that explodes when it's setdamaged to 1 (like a tank), and you can spot every loop of the script. BUT, after a couple of loops it starts getting out of synch...loops slower, for some reason, and eventually doesn't loop at all, at which point the vehicle stops burning. HOWEVER, if you put a couple of bullets in the vehicle, it'll start burning again!  crazy_o.gif Sometimes it started burning after itself after a couple of seconds of not-burning.

I just tried it by switching the code around so that it actually physically spawns a new car at every loop (same type, same position, same direction) : no cigar. It still stops after a while, at which point no shooting or nudging works.

I put in a check to see how many times it loops, and even without any of the other commands, it loops a maximum of 7 (! ) times. And considerably slower than it should (doesn't seem to matter what the value of the ~ is, in fact. Argh! )

I don't know what to tell you - anyone else have any clue why the thing won't loop for more than 7 times? I'd write you a .sqf, but those things are known for not being very loopative. Then again it could probably be made to run itself for all eternity. Argh. We'll see what I can do.

Strange, strange, strange stuff, nonetheless.

Regards,

Wolfrug

Silly Wolfrug, _time is a reserved variable. The variable _time will always return the time that the script has been running, that explains why the loop gets slower and slower as the script runs. You can use _t, _timer, _time1, etc... but not _time (using CHOFPSE the variable always shows in a different color than regular local variables so I remember not to use it). Just coincidence really.

Haha! Thanks Kyle. Man, I knew that, of course, but...yeah. Heh! Obviously it'd keep getting longer and longer as time passed and....yeah. whistle.gif

Guys : just change _time to something like _waitFor or whatever and you'll be fine!

thumbs-up.gif Thanks for righting me there, Kyle. Scripting-mind must've been asleep.

Regards,

Wolfrug

It still does not work, Now the car will not light on fire for about 20 sec then only stays lit for about 5 sec then never goies back on, this is what I have

_car = _this select 0

_t = _this select 1

#NeverEndingLoop

~0.1

_car setDamage 1

~_time

_car setDamage 0

goto "NeverEndingLoop"

In the cars ini i have [this, 60] exec "carburn.sqs"

Try to mess around with the 60 but nothing.

u still use:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">~_time

change it to <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">~_t

I have tryed to change that one but when I do nothing ingame happens. the car just sits there.

*Removed because replying to a troll was a waste of time*

Umm, can someone just ban that guy, he is so wrong on so many levels it hurts...

In any case, fire scripts have been around for ages, why don't you just use one of those? Otherwise the burning fire under the car trick is something used since OFP 1.0 so that's just as good.

There are also scripts that setoff heat shells or satchells, look them up on OFPEC.

I have tryed to change that one but when I do nothing ingame happens. the car just sits there.

Did you change both simultaneously?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_car = _this select 0

_t = _this select 1

#NeverEndingLoop

~0.1

_car setDamage 1

~_t

_car setDamage 0

goto "NeverEndingLoop"

No he acts like a 11yo pre-puberty kid flooding the forums with his flaming.

Replying to his posts makes it even more worse cause, we should have learnt that in the past. It's a waste of time.

It's <censored> like him slowing the forums down that bad these days.

Thank you for trying to help Kyle but I just cant get it to work. I have tryed everything, but the car will not stay on fire.

The only reason I dont use fire under the car is, It does not make as much smoke and fire.

as drew77 said thanks KyleSarnik for trying to help out and Wolfrug for posting this script to start with just we cant get it to reignite .

maybe someone at sometime may sort it for every one(it may be down to arma 1.05 uk)

heres hopeing

the effect was great up to the loop

thanks again

bk1276

Just tried it - and afaik, it works. Although somewhat sketchily, the reason for which I have nooo idea. Anyway, here's a somewhat revised script, should be relatively foolproof. Called the same way :

_t = _this select 1

_type = typeOf _car

_i = 0

#NeverEndingLoop

;_i = _i + 1

~0.01

_car setDamage 1

~_t

_pos = position _car

_dir = direction _car

_vectorUp = vectorUp _Car

_vectorDir = vectorDir _Car

deleteVehicle _car

~0.01

_car = _type createVehicle _pos

_car setDir _dir

_car setVectorUp _vectorUp

_Car SetVectorDir _vectorDir

;hint format ["%1", _i]

goto "NeverEndingLoop"

This script will essentially create a new car of the same type in the same location facing the same direction every _t seconds. I put it on a 1 second loop and acctimed as much as it would go, and watched it loop for a couple of hundred times. So it should work. Note that there's a slightly more obvious and ugly switch between destroyed and not-destroyed, if you want you can try removing the extra ~0.01s, I mostly put those there since it's good praxis to let the system rest now and then. That shouldn't be a problem though if _t is large enough, and you're not unlucky enough to look at it for the 0.01 seconds it occurs wink_o.gif

Note : if you move the car for some reason, i.e. smashing into it so that it topples over, the new car will be created slightly hovering, with no physics applied to it before someone touches it/shoots it >_< Old OFP bug, can't do anything about it, I'm afraid. But yeah.

Imagine a simple car-burning script could get so complicated. tounge2.gif

Do tell me if this doesn't work either. (note the commented lines _i and the hint format are there for debugging, uncomment them if you want to check the amount of times the script has looped)

Good luck

Regards,

Wolfrug

notworthy.gif Wolfrug notworthy.gif

you have done it , it worked a charm.

placed empty red car with

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[this, 30] exec "carburn.sqs"

in the ini box on the left and

placed empty white car with

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[this, 30] exec "carburn.sqs"

in the ini box on the right

and you get constant smoke and flames in both cars

you dont even see the break in the smoke and flames

now my recomendation is make it up zipit up and post it up

to ofpec for every one

keep up the good work

and again

thankyou for all your help and effort

bk1276

Thank you so much Wolfrug, I will give it a shot, It is people like you that try so hard to make the game better for every1. Thanks for you hard work Wolfrug notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Should this be run by a game logic "SERVER" or by the player locally? I would ASSUME server in a multi-player environment?[

IF you want to see the car burn forever ONLY AFTER it's destroyed, use this code instead:

_t = _this select 1

_type = typeOf _car

_i = 0

#Loop

? (GetDammage _car > 0.05) : GoTo "NeverEndingLoop"

~1

GoTo "Loop"

#NeverEndingLoop

;_i = _i + 1

~0.01

_car setDamage 1

~_t