Sign in to follow this  
celery

Headshots disabled in 1.05?

While sniping idle live targets to hone my skillz, I noticed that nobody's head gets bloody anymore, making it hard to know how precise your shot was. I investigated the dilemma further and found out that the head has some kind of weird magnetic field that protects it against bullets! crazy_o.gif

Here is a video sample in slow motion to show what happens since my screenshot finger isn't fast enough. See how the bullet dodges the head completely in a very steep angle and hits the middle of the body.

Has BIS implemented a top secret defence system to test VBS2's gadgets, or was the bloody head too much for a publisher?

I read here someone reporting the same problem (at least you are not the only one with the problem) I think it was in the Patch 1.05 impressions thread.

I confirm this (I just tested it too). Only headshots

are "deflected". You can shoot someone in the leg or arm

or body and the appropriate part has a "blood texture"

applied, but not the head. Perhaps you should file it as

a bug, either in the software or the documentation.

You can see the traces going straight to the chest, despite the rifle being pointed at his head crazy_o.gif

Might want to check the difficulty settings for auto aim. Could be that it's turned on.

I just tried with auto-aim off, and can confirm it.

Each time I aim the head the bullet goes through the chest even if you aim on the head.

The ugly blood textures (if blood set to high) are still there though, even on my german version while we germans are known for our censorship erm... protection of minors laws.

No idea though if that's since 1.05 or was before too. Never paid really attention to it.

Now it's maybe disabled cause of the annoying CS kids screaming headshot, headshot in all MP sessions. biggrin_o.gif

Might want to check the difficulty settings for auto aim. Could be that it's turned on.

Auto aim is and was disabled. You should try it too, or do you not have this same problem?

well i managed to make proper headshots but only when aiming the helmet itself, if you hit any lower it takes chest...

Hitboxes anyone?

Me again  biggrin_o.gif

Yeah it's an issue. In my 1.04 (505 Games) you could make headshots without them cying out "Arghhhh!" and alerting their comrades. This made stealth and using silenced weapons a valid tactic.

In 1.05 a headshot registers as a torso shot and so they react by shouting "Arghhhh!" and everyone knows where you are.

I did some testing in 1.05:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....;st=300

Looks like auto-aim (the tracers give it away), the bug is probably that auto-aim is not properly disabled rather than not being able to "make headshots". Try it with createvehicle'd bullets, they should (not having been fired from the player or any AI) be uneffected by auto-aim.

Another, easier way would be to try it on an already dead unit, if you can hit the body in the head then you know it's auto-aim.

Auto-aim off, and I can confirm it on non living things.

3yoa1hu.jpg

Another, easier way would be to try it on an already dead unit, if you can hit the body in the head then you know it's auto-aim.

Just tested it on a dead body, you can hit the head there.

Ok, now if this slipped past BIS, I can forgive it. Jeez, this game is slowly getting to me but I still love it. And it seems that 1.05 brings a lot more bugs than it fixes.

-window

Heh, cheers for that smile_o.gif completely obvious, yet totally unobvious if you don't know about it biggrin_o.gif

Back on-topic, I recently did shoot dead bodies in the head and saw what I would expect to see - bloodied head textures. I guess there's a problem with auto-aim in that case, sounds (and looks, according to the above screenie) like it.

Headshots are a necessity in ArmA IMO, for any of the reasons given in previous posts, including mine smile_o.gif Of course the other side of the coin is - no leg shots too. Not too much reason to have leg shots, but it all adds to the mix IMO, I had great times in OFP hunting down wounded enemy using one of the blood droplet addons.

Ok, this is good, I hope some people use this thread as an example of how much better it is to try to figure out what the problem is instead of mindlessly complaining, leaving BIS wandering in the dark and feeling bad.

Yes, you've told us already that auto-aim was supposed to be disabled (as it said in difficulty settings), but remember when it said the same thing about tracers and they were still present (although technically disabling tracers only switches the tracer color to another value defined in the bullet's config, that value is supposed to be invisible/transparent, but doesn't have to be, and so BIS left that out, but that's a different story)? It could be that BIS accidentally bugged the option to disable auto-aim, or auto-aim itself so that it's not disabling properly.

The correct course of action is to report the bug to BIS, and if you make it clear to them what the suspected problem is they'll undoubtedly correct it the next oppertunity they get. However, nobody here knows when they'll propose another patch, so you'd better expect to wait.

Has anyone actually checked to see if the value for auto-aim is being changed in the config file? It might be possible to manually change it.

Has anyone actually checked to see if the value for auto-aim is being changed in the config file? It might be possible to manually change it.

Brilliant suggestion, anyone care to try?

This is a very interesting bug. Does this affect multiplayer? I've missed a ton of shots in multiplayer, some near misses, so I would say no, but you never know...

Well in the config file in your doccuments ArmA folder, autoaim is off. Yet in the main config.cpp in Data\Bin.pbo there's a command called

autoAimEnabled = true;

Under the definition

class CfgWeapons {

class Default {

The problem is we don't have a re-binarizer, so you can't edit this file and try it without errors..

Ok, this is good, I hope some people use this thread as an example of how much better it is to try to figure out what the problem is instead of mindlessly complaining, leaving BIS wandering in the dark and feeling bad.

No soldier sim will last long without the ability to make clean head shots! This is a major flaw and I hope BIS sorts it quickly.

There have been far too many issues with this patch. BIS really needs to test much more before releasing updates and not be so pressurised by the gaming community over release dates. I was not expecting this patch so soon after release of 505 and would have been happy to wait many weeks for a properly tested one. This sort of thing just makes them look bad, and only the ‘die hard’ fans will continue to praise them now!  

Fortunately I am a ‘die hard’ fan but my patience won’t last forever!   mad_o.gif

Why does a game like ARMA even has a built in autoaimer? Did OFP have it? If yes, I never knew about it.

Why does a game like ARMA even has a built in autoaimer? Did OFP have it? If yes, I never knew about it.

The legacy of consoles.