Sign in to follow this  
warjager

Dynamic Campain for arma?

Hi all,

I just wanna know if someone has heard of, or know if the dynamic campain will be back again in arma, like it was in ofp?

I loved this kind of mission, and to be honest, i got arma just to be able to play a dynamic campain!! tounge2.gif

I dont know if the guys of the Dynamic Mission Alliance is working on this for arma....but i pray the heaven for it!! wink_o.gif

A dynamic campaign for Arma would make the game worthwhile for me. As it is, nearly all the missions I've played so far are horrible, and that doesn't give me any motivation to make/convert my own. I just stopped playing the game.

Please we need dynamic missions - can somebody who know what they are doing please port over the old ones at least.

More support for a dynamic campaign here. The original campaign is fun in places, but not very realistic (too many lone wolf missions), plus dynamic campaigns ususally have more immersion factor.

I need one too.

So I'm making it. But my work can't be easily converted, becaue it used DAC, which doesn't have an AA version yet, and without it, GDCE would feel empty. Also I'm planning a new concept. And it will take a long time. If it gets completed, it should be something really new. But probably SP only.

I suppose the DMA will produce something shortly.

IIRC DMA said that they weren't going to do anything for Arma. I might be wrong...

Has anyone tried bringing a DMA mission into Arma? If it doesn't work, whats broken?

Quote[/b] ]Has anyone tried bringing a DMA mission into Arma?

I'm kind of tinkering around with converting Sanctuarys Dynawar template with some other bits and pieces from CCE. It's going reasonably ok and I finally had a eureka moment today with the chopper insertion. I couldn't get this to work on spawned units to save my life (or sanity! ) .Turns out you have to join the spawned units to the group otherwise they don't respond to a move/domove command, can't say I ever noticed this behaviour in OFP.

Quote[/b] ]But my work can't be easily converted, because it used DAC, which doesn't have an AA version yet, and without it, GDCE would feel empty

Kronzkys Urban Patrol Script is a decent alternative to DAC for AA, it can populate an island pretty well.

Quote[/b] ]Kronzkys Urban Patrol Script is a decent alternative to DAC for AA, it can populate an island pretty well.

I've read about it, but didn't try it. But the name doesn't suggest wilderness.

And, again most people would say (if I would release a half-baked thing), this gdwhatever thing is just some lame stuff and the standard missions are much more immersive (without looking into the possibilities).

And I would gladly donate my current life-year to OFP(AA), but for me, real-life has changed since 2006. If no DMA, there's a guy named MehMan, who's into dyn camps.

I agree dynamic missions are a must. I still can't figure out why modern games just forget this, which was included in classical titles of the late 80's and 90's (I think Microprose and Sierra games).

For my part, as I can't wait for DMA, I started working on a dynamic mission, except it's SP only. It's not very professional coding wise, I do believe Kutya or Tacrod might be able to pull something much more optimized.

Features so far : player gets promotions, random missions, rating for his performance on the field, an increasing number of units to command and to fight against, increased support according to his rank etc.. I re-used some scripts from my version of DMA's CCE for OFP, mainly insertion/extraction scripts, and supports scripts.

Most spawned units use kronzky's Urban Patrol Script which greatly improves the experience and NIM Dynamic Weather (modified). Worked nice with 1.04, quite unplayable in 1.05 due to increased frame rate drop.

Of course, all of this is very very early alpha and work in progress wink_o.gif I think 0.22 right now. So, if you want to test and/or contribute, send a PM.

Malick

I agree dynamic missions are a must. I still can't figure out why modern games just forget this, which was included in classical titles of the late 80's and 90's (I think Microprose and Sierra games).

For my part, as I can't wait for DMA, I started working on a dynamic mission, except it's SP only. It's not very professional coding wise, I do believe Kutya or Tacrod might be able to pull something much more optimized.

Features so far : player gets promotions, random missions, rating for his performance on the field, an increasing number of units to command and to fight against, increased support according to his rank etc.. I re-used some scripts from my version of DMA's CCE for OFP, mainly insertion/extraction scripts, and supports scripts.

Most spawned units use kronzky's Urban Patrol Script which greatly improves the experience and NIM Dynamic Weather (modified). Worked nice with 1.04, quite unplayable in 1.05 due to increased frame rate drop.

Of course, all of this is very very early alpha  and work in progress wink_o.gif I think 0.22 right now. So, if you want to test and/or contribute, send a PM.

Malick

Nearly all flight sims of the early 90's had some sort of dynamicism to them, be it through clever scripting,ability to chose targets,limited resources or whatever, it still had replayability and immersion.

EF2000

TAW

EAW

Falcon 4

F-15

Longbow 2

Wargasm -that was to have been DID's 'virtual battlefield'

These are but an example.

I thought that due to the huge success of OFP and it's addons, the natural path (for ArmA) was to make a dynamic campaign that had a front line, which raged across the entire theatre. The campaign -could in theory- last months! The natural knock-on effect of not taking out a target is what could easily drive it. nothing like present ArmA.

In a sad way, i find the whole campaign in ArmA like HUGE demo! Just when you are getting warmed up, it's finished......... Compaired to OFP it's very poor and absolutely not even remotely like it.

As an old vet of OFP etc. I can but wish i could ask the guys at BIS if this (ArmA) was what they realy wanted to release to their 1.5million+ fans that bought the original?

There is no doubt the 'heart' is missing from ArmA...That passion that drove OFP to present a world that immersed you, has gone...it's either that or their goals/ideas were too huge!

To make ArmA anything like OFP would need another complete longer campaign released.

The 'auxiliary' and 'main' objective missions just don't seem to work in this type of game (for me), it's too 'clunky' and disjointed.

It reminds me of the C&C3 demo; where you have great FMV that builds you up to the gameplay -but as the demo only has one mission, it leaves you gagging for the full 35mission game! In Arma, the full game is way,way to short... sad_o.gif

Anyway, thanks for reading! Hope BIS get the idea of what we fans crave for smile_o.gif

Dont ever know why the guys that made ofp and arma didnt think about putting in a kind of dynamic campain that can be comparable in some way to, lets say to pinpoint the best of all ive seen in this campain cathegorie....falcon 4.0. Maybe its just to complicated for them and they wanted to release the game as fast as possible to make the money in their pocket, but in fact, imagine a concept like a falcon 4.0 campain in arma + some stuff that the guy at dma put in their version!!! you can really got with this the most well made tactical game ever made/ period!!

Ive played in ofp, a kind of remake in dynamic, of the revolution part of ofp:revolution. I spent all time playing this super dynamic mission!! if i remember it, you played as a lone revolutionist, that tryed to capture/eliminate the main force in your homeland. In each random mission, you try to capture, by all mean nessesary, all the weapon/vehicule you can to help the cause of the revolution. After the random mission, you returned to your hidden camp with the stuff/vehicule, so for the next random mission, you have a decent stockpile of ammo/weapon/vehicule to play with (cause you start the campain with just a handgun and a ak-47...). And after each succesfull mission, you got the chance to have one or two men with you to joint the revolution. That was the dynamic mission. You just have a random mission, some random patrol on the road, and a box to place your loot plus reinforcement after mission. Just this was alot of fun to play, but the autor of this dynamic mission could have done a LOT more to help the fun factor. This can serve as a base desing for a more complex and tactical dynamic campain. Ive imagined, after played this superb resistance campain, that if i knowed how to script thing back then, i could add some more thing to help this allready well made dynamic campain. The first thing that i had include is some kind of information on the campain. In all other dynamic campain ive played, all had some sort of info that tell you how much support you have and if you won or lose the war. In the case of the revolution side of the one i speak, it could be how much ennemy force is left on your mainland to beat. ex: 300 soldier, 30 tank, etc... Also, you could have some sort of listing to your asset, like how much men you have,how much vehicule and where they are, etc... This can eventualy, be tuned from revolution, to mercenary campain!! imagine waging war, with loot.... and money!! Where you can actually buy thing with money, made with mission acomplished or money captured from the ennemy, etc... this could be a hot dynamic style campain, and could feel a more "personal" war, but im sure it could be hard to script that thing (even impossible?).

wish i can retreive somewhere this campain...dont remember the name of it! sad_o.gif