Sign in to follow this  
HamishUK

Grenade Launcher Sight

It may be me but if I set the game on Veteran there is no GL sighting system? On rookie mode you have that nasty white sight appear.

Now I know for a fact the underslung launcher has a flick up iron sight so am I missing something?

I am referring to the Rifle GL.

Unfortunatly if you have cross hair off then you don't get a sight for the GL. the same as you don't get the circle for grenades... confused_o.gif

Edit. There is no correct sight implemented for the GL. all you get is that shitty white sight...I find that the hardest weapon to aim with in the whole game. You often have to fire off a grenade just to test the distance. CRAP. confused_o.gif

What is needed is when you select GL and press V a seperate sight is enabled.

Having the Rifle GL is almost pointless at the moment.

Yeah oh well, didn't seem too bad when I tried last night, fire and adjust wink_o.gif

I wonder how you played OFP over all those years in vet-mode.

No nade indicator, no sights for nade launchers...

It´s simply a matter of practise, as it was with OFP.

When you have 1 or even 2 grenades, you can't afford to fire a marker shot. I find it strange that BIS didn't implement some sort of sight for the GL sad_o.gif

I didn't.

Your missing the point. The launcher HAS a sight. Just as you fire your rifle with a sight. Why not fire your rifle and adjust for effect? Answer: It's fitted with a sight.

It has nothing to do with practice. You would need to drop one for effect for current gaming. Whereas judging distance using the iron sights is very much more effective.

Having fired an M16 with a 203 launcher I can tell you no soldier just tosses a grenade 'hoping for the best'

I didn't.

Your missing the point. The launcher HAS a sight. Just as you fire your rifle with a sight. Why not fire your rifle and adjust for effect? Answer: It's fitted with a sight.

It has nothing to do with practice. You would need to drop one for effect for current gaming. Whereas judging distance using the iron sights is very much more effective.

Having fired an M16 with a 203 launcher I can tell you no soldier just tosses a grenade 'hoping for the best'

i agree with all of that. especially since there are other games around that let you use that flip up sight.

Relax.

I also know the IRL things look different but up to now (prior 1.05)

it was not possible to implement a flip visor for the nade launcher as the gunview was fixed.

As we have 1.05 now the gunview has been detached from the gun and so there is a chance that we may see flip visors for nade launchers.

I was just pointing out that OFP had none aswell and it worked/s too. We´re playing FDf online for some years and after a while you simply get a feeling for the angle/range settings. Same with grenades. So this missing flip-visor thing is nothing you could not get used to.

If they come up with a flip visor though it would be appreciated although I have my doubts as the weapon´s angle for nade shots requires a totally different weapon holding and handling, but we´ll see.

Same goes for rifle nades btw. They are not shot from the shoulder as you would lack a shoulder afterwards but mods put them in just for the sake of it and people were happy.

some of the ofp addon weapons had sights for GL's like lasers and RHS weapons and Sjb and others. Probably will be in Arma when the great mods will make their come backs in new "tricked out and pimped out suits" biggrin_o.gif

If they come up with a flip visor though it would be appreciated although I have my doubts as the weapon´s angle for nade shots requires a totally different weapon holding and handling, but we´ll see.

Same goes for rifle nades btw. They are not shot from the shoulder as you would lack a shoulder afterwards but mods put them in just for the sake of it and people were happy.

Underslung and rifle grenades are fired from the shoulder.

I fired the SA80 rifle grenade (prior to it being withdrawn from service) from my shoulder. It uses a bullet trap method (as do most rifle grenades) so there is not much more recoil than normal and is aimed using the SUSAT sight.

One hopes some more code will be added?

Yeah a bit annoying for me too. One of the old OFP mods had a great GL sighting system. Hopefully they will remedy this when they fix the Javelins!!

Discussion:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums....ht=M203

Some grenadiers claim they never use the sights and you can see many that does use them on youtube, but the M203 like all ArmA's weapons takes an effort to master. Last time I saw this topic, I decided to try it out myself. I placed myself 100 meter(it turned out to be closer to 200) away from the village on Rahmadi and aimed for the second store center window. I think I did pretty well for an untrained grenadier.

ArmA:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M24Ix986UCs

My advice is: While you wait for the M203 sight's patch, avoid the M203 or make a patient effort to get to know it better.

My advice is: While you wait for the M203 sight's patch, avoid the M203 or make a patient effort to get to know it better.

One does play with it still as lobbing a grenade into a second story window and watching the enemy sniper drop does have it's merits.

How do you know there will be a patch to fix this.

Even the Flashpoint GL sight was useless. The only GL sight that i found usefull was the UK forces GL sight. Because they actually used there brains when creating it. The distance increments were the opposite to the real sight but it was the only way to correctly judge distance with the fixed position weapon handling in flashpoint.

This is a military simulation right...whats realistic about a shitty white cross hair (cadet mode). The only aspect i find realistic about this game is you could be killed with one shot..That's it....... confused_o.gif (I'm refering to single player).

The best GL sights I have seen in Ofp are the ones in WGL mod and they are really working: you want to hit a target 50m away -> you aim with the 50m line in the sights; you want to hit a target 200m away -> you elevate the sights to the 200m line and hit the target.

When WGL can do it, why can't BIS?

Those are definite improvements but neither are very

accurate simulations of how the real sight works though

(or are they)?

They are better than what we have in Arma at the moment but it was still difficult to judge distance with those sights. You still had to waste a round for a distance marker.

They are better than what we have in Arma at the moment but it was still difficult to judge distance with those sights. You still had to waste a round for a distance marker.

I second that!

And especially for those with bad graphics, it is hard to tell a bush from a man. And in the distance objects disappear unless you zoom in all the time and then again you lose the feeling for the distance and cant judge right.

I think that the M203 and GP25 sights are a must in ArmA.

Those are definite improvements but neither are very

accurate simulations of how the real sight works though

(or are they)?

The M203 sight is correct.

I agree in part you could use a round for a marker however at least you knew it would be on target and have a better idea of range and hit probability.

Let's look at it this way it's better to have them than not yes?

I can definately say, that lack of 3D sights for GLs - is a major unsolved problem since OFP. I think BIS should add that in their new future additions list. Very hard to aim with crosshair turned off, same for grenades... or maybe an ability to turn on crosshair only when you switch to grenade throwing and GL.

With the 3d ironsights not linked to the camera, leaf sights should work, like in real life, and not inveresed.

The best implementation of these sights is on the Panzerfausts in Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45. When you hit a key, the back of the weapon is lowered, so that the sights line up for a greater distance.

Very hard to aim with crosshair turned off, same for grenades... or maybe an ability to turn on crosshair only when you switch to grenade throwing and GL.

It is very hard to aim with the GL crosshair either, almost totally useless for me.

The M203 sight is correct.

I agree in part you could use a round for a marker however at least you knew it would be on target and have a better idea of range and hit probability.

Let's look at it this way it's better to have them than not yes?

To be "correct" the short range markers on the leaf would be

at the bottom and the longer ranges nearer the top. To aim

you would move the foresight. I don't think they work like

that, do they? They are actually inverted and you aim using

the ramps on the leaf alone, don't you?  

But, like I said, it's still a vast improvement over nothing

(although to be sure, just a little practise is generally enough

to get the hang of how the projected grenades fly. I don't

profess to be  "elite" but I can reliably drop them where I

want them now, even without sights.)