Sign in to follow this  
Evan110185

Will there ever be a 64 bit version of ArmA?

64bit hype victim?

64 bit is massivley faster if the application is programed in it, its only hype if its a 32 bit app in a 64 bit environment.

my video conversions finish in a fraction of the time for example, simple maths (data throughput can be up to 8x faster due to more pipe configurations for optimization of stream) just like why we moved from 16 bit smile_o.gif

64bit hype victim?

64 bit is massivley faster if the application is programed in it

Thats definitly not a completly true statement.

64bit hype victim?

64 bit is massivley faster if the application is programed in it

Thats definitly not a completly true statement.

Not if its a web browser lol. Any intensive program, be it video or graphic manipulation of any kind.. (or gaming as I cant see why not,, as a lot more data is delivered per clock cycle) will benefit greatly if done correctly (and if the other parts are in place to back it up)

I don't think there will ever be a 64bit version. reprograming it is too much work, and certainly nothing BIS should consider. Games in 64bit are rather small in numbers. Don't forget all people haven't got a 64bit processor/OS, and a lot of programs still don't work in 64bit.

I've used the early trial XP64 Pro on my system (A64 3700+ and at that time 5900U256 Gfx card) and found HDD access across the board increased heaps - this was reflected in games - even 32 bit ones - having very noticeably quicker load times (and Windows was blindingly fast to open new windows and apps). The only game I tried with it that was an actual 64 bit game was the 64 bit version of Far Cry - and it ran shitloads faster - under 32 bit windows I had to compromise on various settings for smooth frame rate but the 64 bit version I could have everything balls to the wall PLUS the "Extra Content" and it was smooth as silk. So from EXPERIENCE I can asy that 64 bit can potentially be much faster.

As a matter of interest, OFP was noticeably smoother under XP64Pro trial - by I'd estimate about 5 frames/sec - most significantly, increasing view distance had less of a frame REDUCTION than it did/does under 32 bit windows - and the load times were hugely decreased - almost instantaneous in fact.

Bad news: That was all with as I said - the early trial version - I've since tried the current trial version of XP64 and it is NOT the same animal as that early version - ie. the early trial was definitely based on XP Professional wheras the current trial (and presumably the full version) seems to be based on Server 2003 or some such POS - and it doesn't work the same/as well at ALL!!!! (it actually even looks different) - thank god I decided to try the latest trial before going ahead and buying XP64 full version (which had been my initial intention) - so I spent the money on a new graphics card instead - so Microsoft did themselves out of my $$$ by screwing that pooch.

I don't know about Vista 64.

80%  of software wont  run in a 64bit OS  so the 64bit market aint there. Arma 2  is likely to be done in 64bit and direct 10 graphics in about 4 yrs. The only true advantage of having a 64bit OS  and CPU is being able to have more than 2GB  of RAM and a max of 16GB RAM available for apps.

There are many test that shows that the 64 bit apps aren't faster.

You gain only the 2-3% compared to the 32 bit, CG is right, the only true advantage are the 16 Gb of RAM.

It's better to optimize the code than porting it to 64 bit.

80%  of software wont  run in a 64bit OS  so the 64bit market aint there.

Sources? Running Vista 64-bit and for a while XP 64-bit, had no issues whatsoever to run 32-bit applications and games.

Drivers etc need to be 64-bit and they were sometimes hard to find but this has changed rapidly the past months.

80%  of software wont  run in a 64bit OS  so the 64bit market aint there.

Sources? Running Vista 64-bit and for a while XP 64-bit, had no issues whatsoever to run 32-bit applications and games.

Drivers etc need to be 64-bit and they were sometimes hard to find but this has changed rapidly the past months.

Theres no way 80% of software wont work in a 64 bit o/s (vista64 personally), Id say 80-90% works in my experience without even a modification due to WOW.

[edit] I will add I only have 2GB RAM, and will repeat more data is shifted per clock cycle regardless of memory address, which is a seperate benefit smile_o.gif

I do agree with the fact porting ArmA 1 to 64 is a waste of time, considering how much there is to 'optimize in ArmA still, working on that should be the primary concern

@Radic- you should give vista64 a shot on a partition, Iv ran both binaries and seen a difference in terms of responsivness of O/S,, and 64 coded apps as mentioned in previous post, 32bit emulations seems +more or ~less the same in general... but thats to be expected (and to be honest I havent bechied that part its just what iv felt). vistax64 is true 64, and most of the modern chips are compliant from what Iv seen so the transition will be made.

80%  of software wont  run in a 64bit OS  so the 64bit market aint there. Arma 2  is likely to be done in 64bit and direct 10 graphics in about 4 yrs. The only true advantage of having a 64bit OS  and CPU is being able to have more than 2GB  of RAM and a max of 16GB RAM available for apps.

wtf? How did you manage to reach that far up your rear end to pull out that comment?

I run 64bit. Every bloody game runs on my system except splinter cell chaos theory, because of the copy protection. The game itself runs fine though.

80% ...

That's the worst part about the internet. That ignorance is so easily and freely distributed to the masses.

Will there ever be a 64 bit version of ArmA released?

Hi,

I really dont think that ArmA will be re-released / converted from 32bit to 64bit.

I would however put my money (not 2 much mind you wink_o.gif ) on GAME 2 (the next evolution of ArmA which BIS are currently developing) being 64bit compatible.

Regarding 64b, this technology does not bring any magical speedup, what it brings is an increased address space, which would bring almost nothing to ArmA. Thanks to the streaming technology the ArmA is handling huge datasets (over 4.4 GB of data) with little physical and virtual address space needed. Until more than 2 GB is needed to be present in the memory at the same time for one scene (which will quite likely be necessary for future products) , such technology is not needed and no specific support is therefore planned for ArmA.