Sign in to follow this  
gL33k

securom of my ass ...

I was wondering why ArmA started to give error messages about missing DVD after patching to 1.5. This happened when I alt-tabbed to desktop and tried to get to back to the game. Then I noticed that that the whining was caused by external SD card reader crazy_o.gif . I had to remove the SD reader and now I can alt- tab again.

This new Securom don't let people to use virtual drives and it seems that it also conflicts with SD reader and so on. Why 505 didn't put Starforce to Euro ArmA right away? The result seems to be the same. I really start to regret that I bought this game.

Unfortunately I've not heard back from SecuRom yet (or their email went straight to my spam folder and was deleted for some reason) so I don't know what's causing my problem.

These security measures are really getting to me. In 1.04 if I tried to host a game 25% of the time it told me "Invalid CD Key" -- never if I tried to join. It would be full of spelling errors and extra letters like "Invaslid CD Keyf" too. I didn't really mind because I never hosted games anyway, so it didn't really matter even though it was supposed to be fixed. Now that I'm using this strange temporary hotfix, I keep turning into a bird complete with gibberish poem in it because it's doing some SecuRom check and because I can't even play with the DVD in the drive, it's coming back as a lousy check and degrading the game.

The only thing I can think of is that the CD key is blacklisted or something, since the copy was purchased off of eBay (from UK to Canada) and not a retailer, maybe the guy who sold it to my friend gave out the CD key before hand. If so that really sucks.

Could we please get some official statement to this issue? Is BIS even working on this? There are people here (like I) who have DVD-disc in drive, but can't play ArmA, because secuROM gives random errors.

I do have seen Devs on this board and I am hoping to get even a short answer on this... sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]This new Securom don't let people to use virtual drives and it seems that it also conflicts with SD reader and so on. Why 505 didn't put Starforce to Euro ArmA right away? The result seems to be the same. I really start to regret that I bought this game.

because starforce is hated by gamers

also it's not vista compatible

also because publishers wish to avoid lawsuits

i have no idea what securom is, but it has never given me any trouble, whereras i have seen starforce mess up my DVD drive several times

You posted this already in the "AA Crashed My OS (Twice)" thread.

Please refrain from posting exactly the same topic in more then one threads.

Yup, I'm having similar issues...

I get the following error message:

A required security module cannot be activated.

This program cannot be executed (5024).

Please have a look at http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=module&c=5024 for further, more detailed information.

When I check out the details on the SecureROM site, it says the following:

SecuROMâ„¢ has determined that a File/Reg Mon program is present is running in the background. Please close this program before you start the application.

Please deactivate it properly (don't forget to unhide virtual drives before exiting). You do not need to uninstall this software; it is enough to disable them during game play. To 'unhide' remaining virtual drives, you might need to re-install the appropriate tool.

The only thing I have/had running that even resembles anything like that is Process Explorer -- previously from SysInternals, now from Microsoft.

I can't see any other programmes running that might resemble a file/reg monitoring programme, so does this mean that the new version of SecuROM is now incompatible with Process Explorer (even though it's now officially owned by Microsoft)?

If so, who do we complain to in the SecuROM and 505 Interactive teams?

The problem actually is the Process Explorer tool. This has been confirmed by Securom.

It's not enough though that you close the Application, since the used .dlls are still in memory.

Thus you need to restart your computer, making sure the Sysinternal Tools are not loaded upon Windows startup.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that.

But I can't help but think how STUPID that is.

I mean, come on, it's a Microsoft tool!

Someone should make those idiots at SecuROM actually try to play some games that are "protected" by their software, and see how much THEY like it.

It's really a shame that publishers use rubbish "copy protections" like StarForce and SecuROM. Publishers who use such broken software not only have to spend more money to publish the product, but also by using them, they tarnish the reputations of the game developers, who get accused of producing a buggy product!

Yeah, i get this error too.

i mean come on, my arma copy is proper legit.

i don't use crappy deamon tools or whatever that alcohol thing is ....

all i wanna play is the updated arma, it worked a few times, now i get this stupid dialogue.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339....MG]

Now i'm stuck with arma 1.4 UK version.

Hehe, good joke wilko. rofl.gif

This messagebox must be faked, no capable developer would ever present you such a shifted messagebox.

The problem actually is the Process Explorer tool. This has been confirmed by Securom.

It's not enough though that you close the Application, since the used .dlls are still in memory.

Thus you need to restart your computer, making sure the Sysinternal Tools are not loaded upon Windows startup.

Well, how do I get errors then? I do not have Process Explorer. confused_o.gif

SeppSchrot, I don't know if you are sarcastic or not, but that message box is very real. I also have same problem. So if you were not sarcastic, quit it. icon_rolleyes.gif

If you don't have any Sysinternal tools running then it's something else running in the background that Securom doesn't like.

The question is just... what is it? crazy_o.gif

I don't know.. Is there like some list you can find that securom doesnt like on the web?..

I've also checked my "process explorer".

I mean the patch worked 1st time around. Why not this time?..

I really sympathise with you poor guys suffering from this stupid DRM bullshit. It's unacceptable to have such constraints placed on you? I mean, Process Explorer ffs! What if you had to remove Microsoft Word in order to play the game? Just how fucked-up is it going to get?

This software (Starforce, Securom) must be written by traffic-wardens. Nobody else could be such a tosser.

pistols.gifbanghead.gif

BI, 505: how could you be so dumb and/or cynical?

well at least i'm not alone, i thought i was.. IMO the 1.4 version isn't that bad.

Don't blame BI. huh.gif

but 1.5 did improve alot. smile_o.gif

I just need to find this little bas***d problem. sad_o.gif

Fenix, as far as I know, it's the publisher who makes the decisions on the copy protection, not the game developers.

So one idiot middle manager in a publishing company that never has to use the product can completely mess up the reputation of the developer by choosing a lousy "copy protection" that interferes with regular system use.

Of course, this also means that those of us who actually PAY FOR the software lose out the most, since we're the only ones affected.

x2 what said guy above ... stupid decisions on publishers front = disaster ...

btw. it's irony to see how Securom is getting worse and worse each release while StarForce does fine smile_o.gif

Comparing a programmer of such a cool game to a traffic-warden was a bit harsh, I guess!

I was thinking BIS would have more control over the packaging of their game, but can accept that this is very possibly not the case.

-Fenix out

My problem..

I double click the icon, the dvd spools up the icon goes to the spinning disk...then the windows has experienced message come up.

My reply from 505 games...(one of many)

Dear Sir or Madam

Thank you for contacting 505 Games Technical Support.

Your customer number is  ************

This definitely sounds like a SecuROM issue, as you are experiencing the error before the game engine begins to initialise.

Could you try installing this update -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924867/

but alas my game has never worked in all the weeks ive owned it!

Rightclick on your ArmA icon on the desktop (or startmenu) -> Launch Analysis -> Send the created file to the Securom email given after the Analysis and see what they have to say.

If it's an incompatibility between Securom and your drive you might get a fixed .exe from Securom.

Rightclick on your ArmA icon on the desktop (or startmenu) -> Launch Analysis -> Send the created file to the Securom email given after the Analysis and see what they have to say.

If it's an incompatibility between Securom and your drive you might get a fixed .exe from Securom.

I've been through this already with securom a few weeks back, hence:

Greetings.

re: ARMA

Thank you for your email. After careful inspection of the analysis file, and due to your specific error messages, it appears that the issue is not SecuROM related. Please contact the software publisher, Bohemia Interactive for further support options related to issues specific to the software.

http://www.bistudio.com

"]http://www.armedassault.com/

Greetings.

I didn't know that. If you have posted that before then sorry, but I simply don't have the time to browse the whole thread each time someone comes up with a problem. smile_o.gif

Have you sent an email to BI Support in the meantime? If not give it a try: support@bistudio.com

Greetings.

I didn't know that. If you have posted that before then sorry, but I simply don't have the time to browse the whole thread each time someone comes up with a problem.  smile_o.gif

Have you sent an email to BI Support in the meantime? If not give it a try: support@bistudio.com

yes i have mate (505 games that is) sorry for the confusion, but i think it shows in some instances ie mine both 505 and securom hav'nt a clue whats going on