Sign in to follow this  
derfalpha

Campaign Quality Has Stepped Down A Notch

Apologies for posting this in many threads, but I have no other choice.The thread will be deleted ASAP by the "admin" and this gives more people the chance to read it. That brings me onto my first point.

1)The admin rules for this forum were setup by a Communist Dictator. There is no room for free speech anywhere. You say something that doesn't help Beta test VBS2 (Sorry ArmA), your Out, banned, bye bye , thread is locked down. These rules are also made worse because they are enforced by a group of 12 year old Hitler Youth who can't hold a conversation together.

2)"You didn't buy anything, you invested. Remember, this is an investment people" I'm sorry, did I miss that? Was it printed on the box somewhere? 3 words, WHAT-THE-FUCK. If you believe that, you have some kind of mental disorder. Serious. I work with people who have mental disorders.

I go to McDonalds, "Cheese Burger and Fries please" I ask politely. "Certainly Sir, Here you are" He places some potatoes, a live cow and some flower on my tray. "WHAT THE FUCK" I say. "Well you have to invest in it. You know, cook it, milk the cow, need the dough yourself. Its an investment" He says. "Fuck You!" I say.

Get my point? Why do people think it is acceptable that BI have served us up this plate of Uncooked bullshit?

The game has THE largest amount of bugs and shitty code I have ever seen and I have been PC Gaming since Wolfenstein 3D. One good thing that comes of this. At least I know it can never get any worse than this.

3)This game only seems to run on piece of shit computers. If you have a quad core, 4 gb, 2 x SLI GFX 8800GTX Cards etc like i do, you have no chance of running it. BI must be in real financial shit if they can't afford to test it on new technology or something apart from their own machines that they write the "CODE" on (I use that word very lightly).

4)Bohemia, if your listening. If you can't produce the goods, don't bother. You people obviously haven't got what it takes to make it in the industry. Only 2 games in 5 years and you still can't produce the goods. Ohhh no sorry wait, you have VBS 1+2 which you get users of OFP and ArmA to beta test for the US Army. You are a bunch of Eastern Block conmen. Please don't try to take PC Gamers for fools (I know there are a lot of fools on this site who you like to have lick your ring pieces) But i for one am not one of them.

There is tons more I could say but I don't want to over do it. The average user of this forum probably lost me after the word "choice" on line 1 of my rant.

I guess that's it from me. In a few moments my account will be disabled, I will be draged away and shot by Stalins henchmen and all trace of me will be removed forever.

Viva La Revolution!!!!!!!

I think it's a bit strange that such a small island has a king.

Monaco has a king and thats smaller then this island

Ange1-0f-De4th: please stop all of your ranting!

BIS is a great firm and they support their customers like no other firm I know in the gaming industry. bugs are to be suspected in big sims. I love that they release patches within short periods, and listen for criticism from the community, they even implement new features and add content to the game.

I know the bugs are going to be ironed out with time and the help from the community.

My thanks goes to BIS for a great sim!

It's just European's mindless hatred for America. also, as someone from BIS said they want to "portray" that "war is not good". In their mind,

*US Forces = villain, warcoholic killing machine.

*Many dead bodies of Americans in battlefield = real war.

*American always seeking another war for their military industry and oil.

Funny enough though, since BIS is providing the "simulator" for soldier training (they have USMC and National Guard as big client). and whole SP gameplay of ArmA is too easy and most of them are "rambo" type of mission (player can be always the last stand guy). I mean, you BI guys who working for military want to tell how war is hell and unreasonable? crazy_o.gif

gimme a break. you guys forgetting the fact that those who serving for their country is also an ordinary people. and they doing their best to protect their country and their family...

oh sh!t. I forgot this forum is full of European!

Poor, persecuted right wing you.

Have you even played the game? Please provide instances of where the U.S forces are shown to be evil? I havent seen one. The fictional communist forces are portrayed as murdering civilians etc.

Why is it "crazy" to make the observation that being in a war is unpleasant? How should war be portrayed, as some kind of non-stop party with assault rifles?

OFP if anything, portrayed Russians in the way you described. Perhaps they felt, with AA, that they it would be disrespectful to portray warfare in gung-ho fashion whilst making a profit off of it, but that wouldn't fit in with your victim mentality so best to ignore all of the above.

Long patrols without contacts and guard duty in a base would be pretty boring from a game standpoint, they had to have some action in it.

To be honest, the campaign hasn't impressed me either, like the OFP one did. Even tho I'm well aware of the story behind the war on Sahrani, the flow of the campaign is a bit too fast and it seems like it fails to portray some important plot twists, what is similar to what Ubi did with the first few missions in SCDA.

Hopefully there will be some great user made missions and campaigns like Retaliation and WTWE made in Armed Assaults lifetime.

i actually liked the campaign very much, altough i do think it was too short. opf took me much longer.

The grass however is aggravating me like ****. That should have been an option in the graphic settings screen. The AI see you all the time while you can't see ****.

Reminded me a bit about Joint Ops... Playable and graphically realistic, but not fair playing against the AI.

I thought they fixed the grass issue with the new patch?

My main complaint would probably be plot and characters, I dont feel attached to or involved in whats going on in the same way I did with OFP.

I remember OFP missons having a lot more tension too.

Still, if the old campaigns are being converted, we should get the best of both worlds sooner or later.

I`ve just completed the campaign in ArmA...and feeling a bit dissappointed with it.

I think it was kind of short, and left many questions opened.

CWC and resistance campaigns were longer and much more interesting.

huh.gifhuh.gifhuh.gificon_rolleyes.gifconfused_o.gif

My 2 pennys worth

Well i have to say after completing the campaign twice in a week that it is really way too short.

Some of the missions are really good and enjoyable but the majority were either too short or poorly designed with no immersion and ultimately left me rushing through them to see if the next one was better.

This for me was the biggest surprise in the game as the main appeal in OFP was the brilliant, sometimes scary, always tense campaign that pulled the game up by it's ankles and got people hooked on it. (Who can forget the mission where you are on your own for the first time, cut off and surrounded and have to make the extraction point).

I have no problem with the premise of the campaign but for it to succeed you had to have a connection to the characters you are playing or are around. As an example i remember the names of every character in OFP (from Guba to Armstrong) yet having played the ArmA campaign not 15 mins ago couldn't tell you one name from it. (I think i am choosing not to remember the news teams names, especially the anchor man who's accent made me want to cry, being English myself).

Remember the intro sequence to Red Hammer WOW, you were in no doubt who you were and what lay ahead.

I know this is getting a bit gripey but i want it to be constructive as i have a huge affinity to OFP and want ArmA to reach the same standards.

I fully expect there to be gameplay bugs and other issues with a game this size and hopefully within the near future alot of issues will be resolved, what i did not expect was the quality of the campaign to be put on the backseat, it should have had a dedicated team working on it from the start testing theories and scenarios, and if it did have a dedicated team hmmmmmn P45's in the post maybe.

This game deserves to be an absolute great if it can start to resemble it's Father and heres hoping....

Bootleg

It's just European's mindless hatred for America. also, as someone from BIS said they want to "portray" that "war is not good". In their mind,

*US Forces = villain, warcoholic killing machine.

*Many dead bodies of Americans in battlefield = real war.

*American always seeking another war for their military industry and oil.

Funny enough though, since BIS is providing the "simulator" for soldier training (they have USMC and National Guard as big client). and whole SP gameplay of ArmA is too easy and most of them are "rambo" type of mission (player can be always the last stand guy). I mean, you BI guys who working for military want to tell how war is hell and unreasonable? crazy_o.gif

gimme a break. you guys forgetting the fact that those who serving for their country is also an ordinary people. and they doing their best to protect their country and their family...

oh sh!t. I forgot this forum is full of European!

lol... Dude, you should take some pills, or smoke a couple joints, m8 wink_o.gif

Relax

I fully expect there to be gameplay bugs and other issues with a game this size and hopefully within the near future alot of issues will be resolved, what i did not expect was the quality of the campaign to be put on the backseat, it should have had a dedicated team working on it from the start testing theories and scenarios, and if it did have a dedicated team hmmmmmn P45's in the post maybe.

I agree with you 100% here. I too understand a few bugs here and there, I even expect them to come along with such a new release. I'm sure most of the bugs will be eliminated by patches soon enough. So my gripe is not really about the game itself, not at all. ArmA itself is a great game. Though the poor performance on my core duo E6600, 8800gtx, 2gb equipment is inexcusable...

The campaign is just so mind-numbingly monotonous, full of plotholes (oh right... what plot? you might ask... well, I'm thinking the same question), unrealistic goals ("...hey I know, lets send 2 humwees behind enemy lines to hunt down a couple of enemy transports...see if they make it back..."), not to mention that the whole campaign is very short. The entire campaign with all it's secondary missions and missions with 2 parts totals to 24 (at least mine did). To compare: OFP had 40 missions (not including training, and that one where you had to play one of two, ie. After Montignac or Strange meeting, is counted as one). Also the OFP missions were incredibly long, some lasted 2 hours or more to play through, most took at least half an hour. Again to compare: if I remember correctly, my longest mission in ArmA took about an hour to complete, some took only 10 minutes and left me thinking "WTF was THAT it??". So to me both missions and the whole campaign in ArmA are way, waaay too short, and the story is somewhere between non-existent and slim.

I feel betrayed by this poorly designed, sad excuse for a campaign. To me this feels like I just bought me a Porche and when I checked under the hood I found out that my new shiny car had an engine of a Toyota. Sure it looks pretty, but it's not what I thought I was buying. I'd say that they owe us a new, WELL designed campaign. So BI, I don't find it very fair to expect the community to create the content to the game that you sold to us. It's your job, the web 2.0 concept is not quite that far yet.

As it lacked any kind of recognisable characters, and due to team switch you didn't even have to keep "yourself" alive in many missions, it certainly wasn't very 'personal'. I didn't like team switch anyway.

Also, the AAN news reports sucked. To have a feel of an ongoing war around you, the plot has to be developed from the player's own POV. I don't think that a soldier would watch satellite tv news every evening while in frontline. Not only that, but the plot was unsurprising and unexciting, especially after the Marines arrived (it's more thrilling to be the underdog than overpowering an already defeated enemy).

The new optional auxiliary missions were a nice improvement, even if a bit too varied. In one mission you're a rifleman, in the next you fly a Cobra and who knows if tomorrow you're driving the Abrams? But I see how it could be used for making some really interesting, interactive campaigns.

Overall, doesn't beat Cold War Crisis, Red Hammer or Resistance campaigns.

Well, i only started the campaign and didnt progress alot thru it but its introduction didnt honestly impress me, on the other hand the training missions are very well done.

The SP missions seem ok, normal and shorter just like the OPF ones (quick action).

"Sweat, blood and tears" is great, havent beaten it yet but seems way above the usual SP mission, i will spend quite some time on this one.

And i like the voice acting so far smile_o.gif .

The SP missions seem ok, normal and shorter just like the OPF ones (quick action).

"Sweat, blood and tears" is great, havent beaten it yet but seems way above the usual SP mission, i will spend quite some time on this one.

And i like the voice acting so far smile_o.gif .

one thing that's kinda bothering me is that apparently no one (except for you) has noticed that there's a huge difference in terms of quality between the basic ArmA campaign and missions and the 505 exclusive mission "Blood, Sweat and Tears". maybe that's because most of the "non-505" folks here don't have that mission. i do, so if you want it... wink_o.gif

in fact, "Blood, Sweat and Tears" has everything that made Operation Flashpoint such a great SP experience: characters, cutscenes, comments, entertaining objectives and slick presentation. for team switching, you get a screen displaying your options, not just a small window with no pictures. and the cutscenes aren't just a simple 5 seconds clip of the camera rotating around the objective.

i wonder who made "Blood, Sweat and Tears" as it was probably not the same person that made the original missions and the campaign.

i can only hope we'll see more of that.

Hopefully if (when) expansion packs come out, their campaigns will be better so that we don't have to deal with a weak attempt at a anti-american, pseudo-gnostic enlightenment.

Other than the campaign story, I love the game and it has lots of potential, I think. Still, I'm looking forward to Game 2.

Was Blood, Sweat and Tears added in the v1.05 patch?

Cause i cant seem to find it for soem reason, looked at my SP missions ( uninstalled the game, reinstalled and patched ) and i still got all missions as green marked ( well exept the Library ) but cant see any new mission.

Incase its 505 only can someone link it?

Or maybe im just gettign old and need new glasses wow_o.gif

Was Blood, Sweat and Tears added in the v1.05 patch?

Cause i cant seem to find it for soem reason, looked at my SP missions ( uninstalled the game, reinstalled and patched ) and i still got all missions as green marked ( well exept the Library ) but cant see any new mission.

Incase its 505 only can someone link it?

Or maybe im just gettign old and need new glasses wow_o.gif

yes, it's a 505 exclusive and was not included in the 1.05 patch.  sad_o.gif kind of a slap in the face for those of us who bought the first releases.

I hope BIS will upload it to everyone soon, its quality work smile_o.gif .

If the campaign was of this quality some people would have a diferent opinion about the game.

Hopefully if (when) expansion packs come out, their campaigns will be better so that we don't have to deal with a weak attempt at a anti-american, pseudo-gnostic enlightenment.

Other than the campaign story, I love the game and it has lots of potential, I think. Still, I'm looking forward to Game 2.

Whats all this anti-american talk? I'm upto the defend the airbase misson and I havent noticed anything that could be considered anti-anything.

Other than the campaign story, I love the game and it has lots of potential, I think.  Still, I'm looking forward to Game 2.

Whats all this anti-american talk?  I'm upto the defend the airbase misson and I havent noticed anything that could be considered anti-anything.

me neither. just ignore the weirdos. wink_o.gif

wow... another redneck cockroach tryin to be smart ass. icon_rolleyes.gif

US soldiers performing frontal assault and taking insane casualties - and you call it's realistic? rofl.gif

poor sense of realism...

just ignore the weirdos... right tounge2.gif

wow... another redneck cockroach tryin to be smart ass. icon_rolleyes.gif

US soldiers performing frontal assault and taking insane casualties - and you call it's realistic? rofl.gif

poor sense of realism...

just ignore the weirdos... right tounge2.gif

The campaign is very unrealistic and quite bad (as a big ArmA fan i have to agree with this), but anyone who calls the campaign 'anti-american, pseudo-gnostic enlightenment.' is quite strange. confused_o.gif

Yeah, nobody called it realistic, try reading the message you're replying to.

coming to think of why the story is so thin...

today i tried to find a nice plot for some missions/campaign that i could make.

now, when you look for a plot, you want something that kind of hints toward reality. so you can look at different conflicts, like Afghanistan, Iraque, Africa (against some rebel armies or something), maybe an imaginary war against Iran or North-Korea.

but when I looked at all those posibilities, none of them made sense. this is part of the strange army the SLA is. their uniforms are too modern to be some kind of african rebel army. their tanks, armor, weapons and vehicles are russian. now you could fight the independant army, but this looks like some silly army like the pakistinians or some other underdeveloped goverment army of the middle-east.

and when you look at the map, it is part desert, and on the other end very lush. it gives us a nice island, but it really doesn't give us a chance to really place a conflict in the right place.

i still can't figure out what vast plot i can come up with, with these rare armies and strange terrain. at least OFP was clear, you were fighting russians and that's it. this is more complicated

coming to think of why the story is so thin...

today i tried to find a nice plot for some missions/campaign that i could make.

Well IMO the story itself is quite a good idea (at least its believable), but because of the crappy missions (boring, unrealistic, buggy, ...), complete lack of characters except a reporter in the cutscenes and no immersiveness whatsoever it just turned out to be a small pile of poo. wink_o.gif

at least OFP was clear, you were fighting russians and that's it. this is more complicated

was it? i don't think so. at first you thought you're fighting Soviet invasion forces. then there's a period of chaotic uncertainty. and then it turns out that it's a renegade splinter cell of the soviet armed forces led by a crazy general.

it was very cleverly done. i think they tried to do the same with ArmA's royal forces. but it failed. sad_o.gif