Sign in to follow this  
fabrizio_t

Patch 1.05 impressions

1.05 Looks nice so far, but Helicopters still handel somewhat strange in pitch, roll, collective and turn.

Im still missing the ability to holster Handguns, when handgun ist the only weapon.

Quote[/b] ]Thanks HXC! I might add something if I see fit! wink_o.gif

Please add a short summary + your specs. That way Bis knows it happens to more people.

The patch is absolutely great. The game is still not perfect, but this was a big milestone into that direction.

-The new patch braught me a nice performance boost of around 10 - 15 fps.

- The new multiplayer-browser is fantastic

- No reloadscreen when opening the ingame map yay.gif

My system specs:

- AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego

- 2x 512 MB DDR400 in Dual Channel Mode

- ATI Radeon 1800 XL with NGO 6.12 Drivers

- Asrock 939Dual-SATAII Mainboard

- MS Windows XP PRO SP2

I have around 35 - 60 FPS now.

/salute from Canada!

My 505 copy finally arrived from the UK, and I promptly installed the game + 1.05 patch. I was running the demo (1.02) up until this point.

MASSIVE improvement in FPS and all around responsiveness in-game. I hope the new version is repackaged into a demo so more people can experience the game the way it should be. The new ironsights are awesome, and the mouse lag is almost non-existent for me now.

Cheers!

Better helicopter flight model overall. Cobra in particular tail rotor now works and does not cause that violent bank.

Yea, after a ~ 20 min test flight in a AH-6 I noticed that to. That wierd "tailrotor twitch" when going from higher speed to lower with some rudder applied is gone and overall it feels a tad better than before. Also the zooming function when in helicopters works much better and has a wider range smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Grass you can hide in at a distance.

True but at a price. The new distant "grass layer" on top of the normal ground textures makes it look quite bad compared to how it looked before.

I can imagine it's a very tricky problem to solve but I still don't know if I like the way it's implemented at this time. It could be my drivers/settings (still tweaking/testing) since I experience some other graphics anomalies as well with resent patch. Also I agree with JB [sASMOD] that the auto flattening grass when you go prone feels/looks a bit wierd.

As it stand now it's one or two step back graphics wise for me but I really like the other improvments and new features added by this patch. Especially the AI and if the MP CTD's are gone (will hopefully test that tonight).

I've also noticed that the bushes render a bit differently at distance whereby zooming in on a bush via scope produces a bush that seems to grow and thicken before my eyes. This effect may have been present before but it didn't look as obvious as it did tonight.

This is exactly one of the problems I was trying to explain in a previous post and I agree it's much more obvious (and annoying) in 1.05. Still hope this is a driver/setting issue.

@ -Duke-: What driver version do you use to your nVidia card?

/KC

I've also noticed that the bushes render a bit differently at distance whereby zooming in on a bush via scope produces a bush that seems to grow and thicken before my eyes. This effect may have been present before but it didn't look as obvious as it did tonight.

This is exactly one of the problems I was trying to explain in a previous post and I agree it's much more obvious (and annoying) in 1.05. Still hope this is a driver/setting issue.

It's fading from 1 LOD to another instead of instantly switching to it. Looks much better than the flickering that it did before.

It might be more obvious on lower shader/object detail settings.

One thing I don't like is that headshots are no longer a viable stealth tactic (singleplayer).

In 1.04 I could equip myself with a silenced weapon and shoot an enemy with one shot to the head and they would die instantly without shouting out.

In 1.05, I shoot someone in the head and they still die instantly but this time accompanied by a loud vocal  "ARGHHHHHH!" and everyone knows of my presence sad_o.gif

The AI littlebird doesn't fire on enemy infantry.

I managed to get the laser designator working once. But every time time I try to replicate how it worked that one time, nothing happens.     help.gif

Initial Impressions:

Good

Harrier STOVL Rocks! This is going to look so cool in co-op, good job!

New iron sight system is awesome.

Good to see the Cobra tail rotor working fine.

Bad

Bush LODs seem worse than in 1.02.

Not being able to walk through bushes is also really annoying.

New Harrier sound is awful.

The flattening grass is definately going to take some used to, thought it was fine as it was.

Still having problems with sound, in particular when using the M249.

No sound whatsoever in multiplayer, same with other members of my unit. confused_o.gif

Gonna leave the ZIP and 7zip debate to a later date. Maybe you'll see what I mean.

Good:

I too like the Harrier.

Ironsights are good.

The AI seems to be a bit better, they are still dumb as a brick sometimes.

New LOD loading seems nice.

Bad:

AI gets scared way too easly, a Cobra flies over them and they start to flee.

AI still can't cross bridges by themselves! GRRRR!

AI is still sometimes blind.

I have a Core 2 Duo E6600, 2GB DDR2 ram and a 7950GT 512MB. And the freekin bushes still eats fps. Whats up with that?

I had better performance with 1.04 than 1.05, and turning down settings doesnt seem to help much either.

Down to 15 fps in ironsights if there are trees nearby?

Come on!

The game is unplayable.

Stabiz (are you lord stabiz from RSC?), try to select lower shader settings. This improved the performance alot for me when close to bushes

Thats me, mate! biggrin_o.gif

I have tried all the adjustments, and it seems they dont give much boost. Try the single mission where you are supposed to attack a convoy in the forrest. Its unplayable.

If I turn everything way down I get maybe 30fps as opposed to 15-20 at the worst. Lots of the settings makes no difference at all, not even view distance.

I have XP SP2 and latest nVidia drivers, and ALL other games run well maxed out, even Medieval2: Total War with huge armies.

Frustrated.

Oh, I have not modded the game at all.

The Hotel mission in campaign is a good banchmark. I had around 80fps in the beginning with 1.04 and all options maxed out at 1280x1024 with 1200m view distance, vith the new patch I get 60. Look at some bushes with the scope = hello 20-30 fps.

I never use more than 1400mb of my 2048mb ram while playing, so who coded this game?

Tried muliple downloads from different sites and multiple reinstalls.

I'm on 30% with the following

Please be patient. This update may appear to take a long time to complete. It is updating and installing very large data.

European DVD Version

Verifying ArmA: Armed Assault, version 1.04...

Error found in file AddOns\air.pbo (96587d7e!=fe592cae)

Error found in file AddOns\Anims.pbo (5b5fdf06!=97baf62e)

Error found in file AddOns\Ca.pbo (ade1e62d!=895a0bea)

Error found in file AddOns\characters.pbo (c3f77098!=622f5c7d)

Error found in file AddOns\plants.pbo (fde18e07!=a232fe2c)

Error found in file AddOns\sara.pbo (cd1c2b2e!=4142b5a6)

ArmA: Armed Assault: Updating version 1.04 to version 1.05...

Update 1.04-1.05\ADDONS\AIR.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.04-1.05\ADDONS\AIR3.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.04-1.05\ADDONS\ANIMS.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.04-1.05\ADDONS\CA.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

The Armed Assault DVD is now a tea mat. I see why they couldn't find publishers willing to take this on. It's possibly the worst implementation of a game I've ever seen. Hopefully this will put BIS out of business.

Hmmm. I have you beat for poor textures. This is flying around in the mission editor with no other units on dual 8800s, approx. 2 minutes flying smile_o.gif

I've seen a LOT of complaints from 8800GTX/GTS users, and not a single one seemed to consider that some of the problem may lie within the new nVidia drivers. ArmA is a new game ... couple that with new hardware and new drivers and it's easy to see why problems arise. Not to mention that SLI also has its fair share of problems with compatibility in games. Give it a bit of time on both ends as the drivers usually have to be tweaked for specific games and vice versa.

I have considered the fact the Nvidia drivers are not what we expected, or that I am on Vista, or that this may have been a bad patch. However, we compared to the demo or the previous version (with no driver changes):

1. Textures degrade very rapidly.

2. There is an insane amount of crashing.

3. To much lag spiking in system resources.

Just stating what is wrong on my end. I posted screenshots, etc. I'm just gonna reinstall to 1.04 until the guys get some of these graphic and performance issues resolved. Not a big issue - but they should be made aware.

Well, after a flawless install (from a fresh 1.0), and playing for a full day Sp, editor, and MP - this is probably where ArmA should have been released for truly good feedback.  Just a few issues left.  Nice amounts of polish added!  Good job BIS!  notworthy.gif  yay.gif

The Good

Graphics: Lots of little GFX details added, flash in initial explosions and ordinance hits, very exciting.  Stop lights in town?!?  (could have missed that before) Either way, nice.  Waves and overall lighting, HDR, night scenes and moon shadows seem very well revemped. New irons are awesome, and really get the feeling of timidly peeking around a corner waiting to blast anything that moves (zombie mods will be SOOo cool now).  I like the more subtle LOD changes, blends in better than the abrupt switch.

Controls:  Helos have been tweaked again from 1.02 - please don't go any farther to simplify the controls, IMHO they are just about perfect complexity, the 'ice skating' while hovering is just about gone (almost too easy) huh.gif.  Cobras are now very manuverable.  The Harrier rocks, very manuverable without going over the top, nice direction vector that works ok as a diving PIP for iron bombs.

AI:  Love the new aggressive (responsive?) AI.  Love their acquisition speed and volume of suppression fire.  Very nicely done, really pushes the adrenalin in a surprise contact situation.  I like that armor now is dangerous to hiding infantry, but not unreasonably so, need to be very careful.

Campaign:  Nice workarounds and bug fixes.  Made good headway. (see sounds under 'The Bad' )

Missions:  The Sanitation mission now feels MUCH more like a very advanced OFP.  This was the benchmark I've been using for compairisons.  (the music helped too BTW)  All missions were intense and exciting (and wonderfully difficult).  Good job.   thumbs-up.gif

Sounds:  The softened occlusion dynamics are better and really add to a forest or city battle, are those new footstep crunch sounds?  Very nice and thrilling when you finally hear them from the enemy you're trying to hide from.  But the rest is part of --

The BAD

Sounds: In the campaign battle, 'beaten dog', where I left off before the patch,  sounds from weapons cease.  Good workaround with the unit saying 'negative' though,  I tried just continuing and had both the problem and new solution ingame... Imagine the snarfing up THAT did.  I reverted and it went smooth, except for that sound issue.

Conclusion

A very challenging, immensly enjoyable, nicely polished game - that needs a few small items cleaned up.

Well done BIS  inlove.gif

Red Kite said:

Quote[/b] ]@ Lt_Damage…

You have no information to confirm that it is the patch that has done this.

You have not posted your system specifications, I suggest you do this if you want to eleviate any doubt about whether your PC can run this game well in the first place.

Why is it that some are so sure of themselves that everyone else has hardware or software issues that are unconnected in anyway to BIS software or updates? …So it’s a Graphics driver problem? Then why was it OK in 1.04? … “Am I sure my PC can run the game in the first place?†…WTF? I am comparing 1.04 to 1.05 so why ask such a stupid question?

It should be pretty clear (even to the totally uninitiated) that there are issues with 1.05 over 1.04 if 1.04 was running fine but 1.05 is giving problems and all other parameters are the same!

Then why do I and many others have no issues at all with the Gfx? (6800gs here) The nuances of the individual boards, drivers, and OS. The 8800 is a newer, still unproven board, and Vista has been reported many times to not support entire game company product lines. Blame M$ on that particular fubar. Marketing Hype strikes again. confused_o.gif

To my horror I noticed that they made the 'Anchor' unit invulnerable. They could have just made him immortal in the campaign. That unit would have a lot more functions than just as a news man: He's a very good actor for bodyguard, gentleman, businessman and agent roles. I was making a deathmatch where every player is an "agent" and it was a very good esthetical effect.

Please, make the anchor killable! sad_o.gif

Looks much better than the flickering that it did before.

Can't agree with you there wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]It might be more obvious on lower shader/object detail settings.

Tried with following settings (@ 5 fps lol) and it was equally bad here...

Terrain detail: Very High

Objects detail: Very High

Texture detail: High

Shading detail: Very High

Will try different drivers later and see if things improves but first MP testing has the priority...

/KC

Quote[/b] ]Well, after a flawless install (from a fresh 1.0), and playing for a full day Sp, editor, and MP - this is probably where ArmA should have been released for truly good feedback.  Just a few issues left.  Nice amounts of polish added!  Good job BIS!  notworthy.gif  yay.gif

Don't worry. BI will create some new bugs for you with the next patch. Enjoy it while you can.

There appears to be more hard drive paging with this patch. For users with high memory, there shouldn't be more paging to the drive - which ultimately slows performance down.

I'm slightly peeved with the latest patch and hope many of these issues can be resolved quickly.

Tell me about it, I've got 4 Gig of memory onboard and ArmA is accessing my hard drive like crazy.

Tried muliple downloads from different sites and multiple reinstalls.

I'm on 30% with the following

Please be patient. This update may appear to take a long time to complete. It is updating and installing very large data.

European DVD Version

Verifying ArmA: Armed Assault, version 1.04...

Error found in file AddOns\air.pbo (96587d7e!=fe592cae)

Error found in file AddOns\Anims.pbo (5b5fdf06!=97baf62e)

Error found in file AddOns\Ca.pbo (ade1e62d!=895a0bea)

Error found in file AddOns\characters.pbo (c3f77098!=622f5c7d)

Error found in file AddOns\plants.pbo (fde18e07!=a232fe2c)

Error found in file AddOns\sara.pbo (cd1c2b2e!=4142b5a6)

ArmA: Armed Assault: Updating version 1.04 to version 1.05...

Update 1.04-1.05\ADDONS\AIR.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.04-1.05\ADDONS\AIR3.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.04-1.05\ADDONS\ANIMS.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

Update 1.04-1.05\ADDONS\CA.PBO.UPD cannot be applied, error xdelta3 returned error code: 1

The Armed Assault DVD is now a tea mat. I see why they couldn't find publishers willing to take this on. It's possibly the worst implementation of a game I've ever seen. Hopefully this will put BIS out of business.

You have the wrong version of the patch.

edit: seriously the first reaction you have to a bad patch is "i want them to go out of business!"... icon_rolleyes.gif

I've noticed that forcing VSync OFF is a BAD idea in this game. When I turned VSYNC ON (application controlled) the game ran MUCH better.

Just as a warning if you tried turning it off for some reason.

Also, how do you:

-turn on the GPS

-change to laser sight mode in the harrier

-change to gunner seat in the cobra (so you can move the sight around without turning the chopper)

Don't worry. BI will create some new bugs for you with the next patch. Enjoy it while you can.

Who are you? You don't seem to have a clue about BIS, bub.

Looks much better than the flickering that it did before.

Can't agree with you there wink_o.gif

Well to me it doesn't stick out as much as the sudden LOD changes in the demo which looked horrible when I played the demo again after having the full game. Just don't look for it and you wont notice it much tounge2.gif .

@Armalite666: You obviously downloaded the wrong version of the patch, it's your own fault.

Hmmm. I have you beat for poor textures. This is flying around in the mission editor with no other units on dual 8800s, approx. 2 minutes flying smile_o.gif

I've seen a LOT of complaints from 8800GTX/GTS users, and not a single one seemed to consider that some of the problem may lie within the new nVidia drivers. ArmA is a new game ... couple that with new hardware and new drivers and it's easy to see why problems arise. Not to mention that SLI also has its fair share of problems with compatibility in games. Give it a bit of time on both ends as the drivers usually have to be tweaked for specific games and vice versa.

I have considered the fact the Nvidia drivers are not what we expected, or that I am on Vista, or that this may have been a bad patch. However, we compared to the demo or the previous version (with no driver changes):

1. Textures degrade very rapidly.

2. There is an insane amount of crashing.

3. To much lag spiking in system resources.

Just stating what is wrong on my end. I posted screenshots, etc. I'm just gonna reinstall to 1.04 until the guys get some of these graphic and performance issues resolved. Not a big issue - but they should be made aware.

Please add your experiences here:

http://bugs.armed-assault.net/view.php?id=2091

Red Kite said:
Quote[/b] ]@ Lt_Damage…

You have no information to confirm that it is the patch that has done this.

You have not posted your system specifications, I suggest you do this if you want to eleviate any doubt about whether your PC can run this game well in the first place.

Why is it that some are so sure of themselves that everyone else has hardware or software issues that are unconnected in anyway to BIS software or updates? …So it’s a Graphics driver problem? Then why was it OK in 1.04? … “Am I sure my PC can run the game in the first place?†…WTF? I am comparing 1.04 to 1.05 so why ask such a stupid question?

It should be pretty clear (even to the totally uninitiated) that there are issues with 1.05 over 1.04 if 1.04 was running fine but 1.05 is giving problems and all other parameters are the same!

Then why do I and many others have no issues at all with the Gfx? (6800gs here) The nuances of the individual boards, drivers, and OS. The 8800 is a newer, still unproven board, and Vista has been reported many times to not support entire game company product lines. Blame M$ on that particular fubar. Marketing Hype strikes again. confused_o.gif

I run Windows XP sp2 with an GeForce 7800 GS and I have the same texture problems.

My experience:

German DVD version. Was running quite good with 1.02

AMD 4000+, 1Gb, 7900 512Mb

I uninstalled the 1.02 and cleared out all reference to ArmA from my HDD.

Installed from DVD

Installed 1.05 patch

Defragmented HDD

Started up ArmA and set all to normal

Played

Result is a slide show

Tried relazing graphics settings, graphics card control panel, re-defragmenting, etc.

Result is a slide show

Ultimate result, ArmA goes in bin. Turn back on BIS for ever.