Sign in to follow this  
CoolSprog

CoolBits

Before some of you get angry as theres been aload of posts about CoolBits ect, but i did search and couldent find an answer to my query, and i know some others have the same question so this may answer it for a few peeps.

My question is, how do i use it, i particularly want to do this "render frames ahead 0" thing people are talking about. I have downloaded it, added the registery file, that seems to be it, i cant find any options anywhere to do anything with it, any ideas? I read one solution earlier which didnt work, was refering to the 7 series NVidia cards and classic control panel. I am using an 8800GTS and dont really have a classic control panel with our drivers.

Any help greatly appritiated.

TheSprog smile_o.gif.

Aparently there's a way to switch back to the classic control panel for the 8800 series. After you have done that you just need to apply coolbits registry modification and the "max frames to render ahead" field will show up under "Additional Direct 3D Settings".

EDIT: I just tried it and it worked. One thing though, setting the max frames to render ahead to 0 caused my pc to crash (at 1 it works fine)

The old CP is actually competely gone in the newer driver sets (and under Vista) and the only way to get to the setting is by installing Rivatuner.

The old CP is actually competely gone in the newer driver sets (and under Vista) and the only way to get to the setting is by installing Rivatuner.

It is? That's tragic, as the new version is horrible compared to the classic one.

It is? That's tragic, as the new version is horrible compared to the classic one.

Yeah, unforuntely thats true. I don´t mind the newer CP so much except missing few advanced settings AND the temperature/overclocking tabs. You can only get to them by 3rd party programs or Ntune. It was more comfortable the way it used to be when it was within the driver but who knows, maybe putting the driver on a diet like that will help them to develop more stable/better drivers in the future.

The new Gui is horrible and I don't get used to it no matter how much I play with it. I mean c'mon u can't even find the Tab of how to change resolution, without going thru these wizards and stuff banghead.gifbanghead.gif

I don't use the new gui drivers cos my card is an old 6600GT and the max version recommended by the manufacturer XFX is an older one.

However, with that card, I got improved framerate by increasing the maximum render-ahead to 9. I did a bit of mental arithmatic to arrive at 9, working out how many fps I have and how much control/animation lag it would cause.

-Fenix out

I use CB with my 7800GT PCI-E, all you had to do was click the CB reg entry and then go to your graphic card settings and you would have this extra feature.

CoolBits.jpg

It is good for reducing mouse lag -particularly in Oblivion.

I've left it at '0' since that was what was recommended.

Thanks for screenshot, however we just dont have it with the 8800 sad_o.gif.

I know, but i thought i would satisfy your curiosity since you asked. smile_o.gif

Oh yeah of course im glad u posted it heh. Just be interesting to know how the 8800 users do it smile_o.gif.

Erm... did you miss my post guys? huh.gif

You can use coolbits with a 8800 with no problem. You just have to revert to the classic CP following the instructions you will find in this link: CLICK ME

OMG ITS BACK, MY BELOVED CLASSIC CP IS BACK!

Thanks Guba, coulda kissed the monitor when i saw that.

My render frames ahead was at 3? now its 0 smile_o.gif.

Render frames ahead crashed my game before boot and inturn, my PC, i advice not doing it.

Yep, it hapened to me too (see my first post) when seting it to 0. So I set it to 1 and then it worked.