Sign in to follow this  
Banzai!

God Mode?

God mode?

Oh no, not in Arma.

That would make any mission playable in rambo style.

he never said that he wants to "play" this way. He was refering to using the editor to set up huge battles and enjoy the show without getting shot.

Quote[/b] ]If you want to play that way, look out for another game.

rather rude

OP: I don't think you understand the concept of realistic simulation.

If your testing a mission, you do not want God mode. If you died while making your mission, obviously something went wrong. Hence the fixing aspect of mission editing.

/thread  goodnight.gif

-- oh - and if you really... really need to watch a battle, be a flippin civilian..

Why would you care at all how someone else plays his single player campaign? What is it to you? How does it influence your life?

It doesn't?

So you're just the typical jackass busy telling others how to live their lives when it just isn't any of your business at all?

He asked for God mode. It's his gameplay, his fun... to to put it bluntly. STFU.

Quote[/b] ]

Select Play

Select Editor

Place a Vehicle such as a Civilian car with you as player.

That's more or less what I do. biggrin_o.gif when I want to relax.

(whitout the hungry part though...) Then I go rampage pistols.gif

But the point is to show that you can have fun in the game with many more ways than just one. There is no CORRECT way to play it, as long as you have fun. CTF, CTI, COOP, even DM if that suits your taste. Realistic mod or Zombie mod, anyone is entitled to its own.

NOTE that I have never used the God Mode myself (didn't even know there was one...), but that I was concerned that you would quit an option that may please someone else.

ÃŽ have to agree with EricM. Sometimes just driving or flying around is quite satisfying, even in OFP. All the screenies and videos I've seen so far confirm to me that it will also be enjoyable with ArmA (when I'll finally be able to buy the game). Can't wait to see what the islandmakers will come up with. Islands like AEF's Phoenix, with their special train addon, are just, well, special places to tour around...

And yeah, OFP and ArmA are all about freedom, and everybody being able to have his or her favourite cup of tea mixed to his or her own personal taste! So say no to restrictions! ANY RESTRICTIONS! And let peace and beauty rule along with the rage of war in combat simulations! biggrin_o.gif

Hello

As long as the "god mode" cannot be any away used and abused on a LAN or MP game, I see no issues in having it implemented.

If it can (in any way/shap/form) then def remove any vestiges of it from the code.

I pesonally would like to roam around the Arma world as an invincible 40 high Hedgehog looking for a man called Dinsdale, and if I can do this with the game engine in the privacy of my own home, then I should be able to.

I love Arma for the (IMHO) sim that it is. and thats how i play it.

I think its up to the individual (and thir own secret perversions) to play it how they wish, and we should not judge them.

(well not much...)

rgds

LoK

Quote[/b] ]

How on earth can you enjoy a game where nothing can kill you?

Are you serious ?

For the record, I love to take a car or a chopper and just go sightseeing and having fun exploring the world in ArmA. Even as a seagull.

So do that...

Do you need God Mode in case the trees decide to rebel against mankind and learn how to operate RPG-7s?

Quote[/b] ]

How on earth can you enjoy a game where nothing can kill you?

Are you serious ?

For the record, I love to take a car or a chopper and just go sightseeing and having fun exploring the world in ArmA. Even as a seagull.

So do that...

Do you need God Mode in case the trees decide to rebel against mankind and learn how to operate RPG-7s?

He never said he needed God Mode for that, it was just an example of how someone enjoys the game without risk of getting killed. Learn to read before you act like an asshole icon_rolleyes.gif .

Quote[/b] ]As long as the "god mode" cannot be any away used and abused on a LAN or MP game, I see no issues in having it implemented.

And that´s where the problem is. In OFP there were features that were meant for local testing only and got abused pretty soon in MP games -> cheating.

That´s why BIS got rid of them and the online community was very pleased.

Now why should they go back, reimplement such features and after a month have a huge angry mob on their tails telling them to remove the commands and features as it´s exploited for online cheating ?

If it´s there it will be abused. Lesson learned from OFP.

setcaptive true or using a civillian does sound like a valid solution to me. At least that´s what I´m doing when I want to be wandering around on a battlefield without the risk of getting shot at.

So do that...

He never said he needed God Mode for that, it was just an example of how someone enjoys the game without risk of getting killed. Learn to read before you act like an asshole icon_rolleyes.gif .

MaddMatt surely you've been around long enough to know the rules. WL+1 for flaming, foul language.

For what do we need an "unlimited ammo" cheat?

You can pick up any gun and ammo from every dead soldier, friend or enemy.

Arma is not one of that games, where you run out of ammo because there is no supply point near, and you can`t pick up anything from that tons of stuff around you.

Seriously people, if there was a God mode...I so wouldn't give a damm how people use the God mode but one thing's for sure is that they better not be used in MP or at least the server or admin turns off the God mode. I for once don't want to be emptying 30rds from my rifle at pointblank range to see the bugger just standing there with not even a scratch.

I can only repeat what others already have said:

this setcaptive true

in the init field of the player and probably add a second

groupmember to the player with setcaptive true aswell

so that you can use the commanders view (you can't

when you are the only groupmember).

Now you can enjoy watching them AI's fighting.

I dunno why ppl come along complaining about being scared

of a god mode - it's not the problem here - he explained

what are his intensions and i totally understand him since

me and alot others were doing the same aswell before.

It has nothing to do with cheating guys - it's for testing

missions or for let's say: watching an interactive movie,

where you can decide from which perspective/location/

point of view you watch it.

Though i understand and accept the reason why the real

god mode was being disabled since it could be misused

for cheating purposes.

~S~ CD

Quote[/b] ]---------------------CODE SAMPLE-------------------

this addEventHandler ["dammaged", {(_this select 0) setdammage (getdammage (_this select 0) - ((_this select 2)*0.95)); hint format ["%1,%2,%3", (_this select 2), (_this select 2)*0.95, getdammage (_this select 0)]}]

---------------------CODE SAMPLE-------------------

in all the units ini lines or you use a trigger which is as larger than the map set to "on east/west present" and "on activation"

{_x addEventHandler ["dammaged", {(_this select 0) setdammage (getdammage (_this select 0) - ((_this select 2)*0.95)); hint format ["%1,%2,%3", (_this select 2), (_this select 2)*0.95, getdammage (_this select 0)]}]} foreach thislist

kinda works. it won't if the unit is hit too fast with several rounds.

Will these work in OFP as well, or just AA? I tried the other similar scripts/code that came up in the forum search, but they didn't seem to work. Most of the threads were old. You'll have to forgive me I have little knowledge of scripting and editing, but in which file is this code to be placed? Do you mean, for instance, if I'm using FFUR mod, just edit the general config.cpp? Or do you actually have to unpbo the specific addon/vehicle you want to use or what? I am aware of setcaptive and a couple others for observing, but I have to take part in the battle myself. In other words, shoot and be shot at. I want to practice and experiment with some tactics, and the AI are a little too stupid to be trusted with certain things. So I need to partake in the battle but I also have to survive to see how it plays out. I don't want my AI units/vehicles to be invincible, just mine.

As far as OFP being a simulator....as someone who studies military tactics and doctrnie, I can say with some confidence that OFP is not a simulator, its a game. I find it amusing that so many people are trashing the idea of a god mode complaining about how it would make it unrealistic, when in reality you would never, ever find true simulator that DIDN'T have these types of features. At least I never have. The whole point of a simulator is to be able to employ real world doctrine and tactics in a simulated environment without dying. If you are in command of a platoon, (as a solo player) and you want to practice some tactics/battle drills/SOP's , it makes no sense for the entire scenario to suddenly end just because one person (you) dies. For learning purposes there is little or no practical value in that. You don't have to die to be able to judge your success. If your entire platoon has been decimated, and you're bradley has taken 12 direct hits from a T-80, its obvious the mission was a disaster, whether you are "alive" or not. The important thing is to be able to see the scenario to its conclusion, or to the point where it becomes impossible to succeed. Thats the only way to really see what worked and what didn't in the big picture.

Quote[/b] ]I can only repeat what others already have said:

this setcaptive true

The problem with setCaptive is that the AI will behave different from what they would normally do. Also, some triggers (mainly "Detected by" will not fire if you're captive). So that severely limits your testing capabilities.

Sure, if you only want to be an "innocent bystander" setCaptive is ok (but then you may as well just use a camera). But if you want to test AI reactions firsthand (e.g. when/if they will detect you, or when they will actually fire at you), setCaptive doesn't quite do the job.

There are some very good and valid reasons for an invincibility mode (that's why it was reintroduced in VBS1), but, of course, with the kind of players you might get in ArmA, there are also very good and valid reasons not to have that mode...

GOD MOD is very important when you test missions how they work ! (does all trigers work, doeas they fulfil waypoints)

I vote for GOD MODE , because testing own made mission is problem if you get killed before mission starts, of course i can make to soldiers armor=100 but then AI units won't fire at him

i make missions now and testing withut godmode takes a lot of time if i have to restart mission 8 times and i haven't finished it :/

for mission makers it is very important

also someone asked "ow on earth can you enjoy a game where nothing can kill you?"

it gives a hell pleasure

i buy FPS games to have enjoy

for exapmle i like playing in God moode in RTCW or MOHAA only by grenades, i like just throwing grenades without one shot smile_o.gif

and watch soldiers flying in the air smile_o.gif

or in Solider of Fortune 2, where you can use Shotgun to shoot off hand from near distance, than AI can't use weapons and they are walking withuot hands smile_o.gif - SOF2 body destruction was beautyfull:) i miss it

God Mode was missing in OFP (AI by one shot was killing from 500 meteres from AKSU) which was not fair, because AKSU is used up to 200 meters

i really miss Rambo-style fun smile_o.gif many people who buy FPS games wanna have fun without stress that they can loose smile_o.gif

ARMA is different than other games, because it has editor

but in many games when environment is nice , you cannot walk and sightseeing without cheats

i like walking and looking at graphics of game, houses, vehicles, without "notarget" it is impossible

Someone may have posted something similar here already. God mode should still be possible in ArmA. To get it, type the following code into the init field of your unit:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

this addEventHandler ["hit", {(_this select 0) setdammage 0}]; this addEventHandler ["dammaged", {(_this select 0) setdammage 0}]

I used this in OFP when testing stuff and it worked just fine. I haven't tested it in ArmA yet, but it should work.

From reading the original post i think he was using a civilian, but kept getting hit by stray rounds and explosions, in his quest for great pics smile_o.gif

I've done the same a few times and if you havent you should set some battles up and watch. A couple of times i've been hit by falling helos. Although it ended my fun, it was a great way to go, didnt stop laughing for ages