Sign in to follow this  
Kopijeger

"Sanitize" - just plain wrong

This mission is one of the few with no obvious bugs in the execution, but it is probably the one with the most flawed concept. Special Forces attack a town in broad daylight. They have seemingly no advantage in range or accuracy or the supposedly inferior opposition. The team that is not under the player's control will blunder into the opposition and be annihilated. If you leave soldiers behind in the town when you go to the rendezvouz point, they will be killed by a bunch of enemies that seem to spawn out of nowhere, even when you had taken care to clear the town first. If you were allowed to attack under cover of darkness you could probably clear the town in relative safety from a vantage point in the hills above.

In short, you have to wonder what they were thinking when they made this frankly ridiculous mission.

They concept was using... SPECOPS!

SpecOps ARE more skilled and they may be outnumbered, but not outgunned compared to SLA grunts.

Yeah, sanitize is a bit 'strange'. The friendly AI is as moronic as can be, they get killed almost instantly. And the fact that the enemy seems to spawn inside the town is a bit wierd also. But I found the mission quite enjoyable as squad commander. You have to be really careful in positioning your men but if you do it right the result is devestating.

Guest Ti0n3r
In short, you have to wonder what they were thinking when they made this frankly ridiculous mission.

I guess they wanted to create ArmA version of Clean Sweep mission from OFP. Big deal?

Sanitize is just plain awful in every sense. Tactically it makes no sense, but also, get this... I was wandering around the town trying to find one last friggin enemy soldier to get the objective done (which is wrong on its own, if intel knew there was one guy left, they would give you an exact count) but anyway, there I was walking around and suddenly 2 metres in front of me spawned about 15 enemy soldiers in a big bunch. Luckily I had my rifle on full-auto at the time so I managed to mow-down half of them before they butchered me.

I uninstalled the game after this. I will now wait for a mega-patch until i bother again.

even if you command the squad yourself the other squad offers no help on the other side. they are there to just get killed instantly. like derfalpha said, plain awful best describes this one.

I actually found a way to do this without losing any soldiers; by making sure the second team does not get involved. The first waypoint is in the middle of the town, if you reach that the second team will proceed to get slaughtered. If you position your team outside the town, on the north side, in such a way that they can view both the centre and the field west of town, they can pick off the lot and only be shot out a little bit (two of them got wounded). When you have killed all, proceed to the waypoint inside the town and then to the meeting point. When you reach the latter the second team will join you and the first team (which you left in their spot) will quickly pick off the new soldiers that spawn in town.

Effectively, the town must be cleared twice, and the second team is effectively useless unless you can keep them out of harms way until you gain direct control of them.

I did it somewhat like Kopijeger above, except re-equipped the original team you can control with some MG's, as a couple were a little low on ammo and also got wounded myself while sweeping the town alone to check for hidden survivors, after the initial shootout. Then I told them to hold fire and go prone on the hills to the S, SE and E of the town.

After I linked with the second team we advanced about 50 meters before an avalanche of "enemy spotted" reports from the first team. I told them to open fire while slowly working my way towards the center with the second squad but the evil-magic-respawn enemy soldiers all died in a couple of seconds after I gave the weapons free order.

Nobody died, and the only injured soldier was I.

No complaints about the mission, I took it as a desperate attempt from an overwhelmed military force to take control over an escalating situation. As an a completely unnecessary side note, you should read, say, Blackhawk Down or maybe A. Beevor's Stalingrad or Berlin 1945 to find out more about missions that are completely fucked up and doomed to fail to begin with.

I understand gripes with broken/bugged missions (triggers will not working, targets not appearing etc.) but am a little surprised with the incessant whining on this board about some of the early missions that only require a bit of thought and patience to complete. Sure they could be more polished but a complete catastrophe in design? Hardly, as far as I've got to.

I took command of the team headed to the right of the village where the ural is parked and had everyone go prone, we picked off all the troops, joined up with the other team and then went back and wiped out the reinforcements.

Zero casualties on my side.

yeah - i think there are far worse missions in the campaign... instead of realism i came to expect 'rambo'-style missions from arma sad_o.gif like one squad of moronic rookies who can't hit anything against the whole sla army made up of specops.

and i have the impression the patches made things even worse:

right now i'm playing the mission where you have to defend the airport from a last major assault before your reinforcements arrive. before the patch i finished the mission no problem (but it was still not easy); now i get overrun right at the beginning when i arrive at the base and get out of the truck. they seem to be everywhere and swarm the area right outside the gate to the airfield. apart from the few soldiers i have under my command there's no or at least no effective support.

now i've actually managed to get past this first part of the mission (using whatever glitches and exploits i could find) only to be stuck at the next part: taking out the forces along the coast and finally the armor arriving from the east.

again the supporting troops are useless and seem to get slaughtered right away and i'm left trying to finish of the sla hordes by myself :/

I even managed to do that one time and survived to see the cobras make short work of the enemy armor but apparently some lone crewman managed to jump out of one of the bmps and snipe me while i was laying in wait in some bush scanning the area for enemies...

The impression i get from reading these comments is that people have forgotten that this game is hard, and leading and effectively managing a squad is also tough, and having done basically the same strategy as Kerosene i think that if you get your team to do what YOU WANT, not what THEY WANT you stand a better chance of completing the mission.

Having said that the bit where SLA spawn right in front of you in the town is just basically really poor level design which is a bummer for me as this is where OFP shone...

Bootleg

In 1.05, I have not encountered any spawning enemies. I completed the mission on the first try and all successive tries except 1 where I peaked around the corner and was shot dead by the UAZ. I haven't taken control of the squad, and the ai squad usually suffers a few casualties but I think that the two forces have good balance. If you play poorly, your squad will lose. If you play well, they will succeed.

Quote[/b] ]In short, you have to wonder what they were thinking when they made this frankly ridiculous mission.

Were they even thinking? I feel sorry for BIS leaders putting too much trust in mission makers who probably just learned how to make missions......

Just out of curiosity, have you made any missions yet?

Before you start insulting people here you might show us your work first.

Not any published ones. I never had the time to fully work on a good mission and learn the scripting. But if I had to work for a company doing that, or even a mod, you can bet that I would have done a way better job.

Many people criticize mods and mission makers when their missions are bad, so why not criticize BIS? Its not like they haven't done this to themselves icon_rolleyes.gif

Not any published ones.  I never had the time to fully work on a good mission and learn the scripting.  But if I had to work for a company doing that, or even a mod, you can bet that I would have done a way better job.  

Many people criticize mods and mission makers when their missions are bad, so why not criticize BIS?  Its not like they haven't done this to themselves  icon_rolleyes.gif

The problem here is however Luciano, that you consistantly slam BIS in whatever way you can.

Everyone will have opinions, yours however have been made clear time and time again in a manner that is less than appropriate, frankly I am bored of hearing you whine.

What makes this all the more amusing is you are feel the need to critque something as you have previously stated you have done little work in, and thus have no expertise in.

If you were more consistant and constructive in your posts you would find a more positive reaction. Suffice to say you have been warned.

You Joined: Jan. 2007 - and have accumulated 3 warning levels.

YOu were warned earlier today in fact to find a new hobby, clearly you have no intention.

Therefore 48hr PR to give you time to think.

Move on from trolling or you will not be welcome here.

I think the primary objective with that mission was to throw down a mission you could have fun playing in 10 minutes or less. If that is so, mission accomplished. I loved the clean sweep missions and I like this one. It's one of the few places in ArmA/Ofp where you can go and have a blast for ten minutes and then close it down and continue what you were doing before.

Are we talking about Sanitize in the campaign or the single mission? I actually like both and while they might not be all that special, it´s actually fun trying to figure out a tactic of a successful assault.

In the single mission (desert setting), I usually rush forward, and get inside the first building near the street and shoot the first soldiers on the road (2-8 enemies can be killed from that spot). Then I run forward to the waypoint and to the cross section and go prone once I see the bus. In this area you can find another 2 soldiers, pretty easy kills but toward the other end of the street (camp side) there are usually several soldiers who walk towards you and who can be quite a thread. I stay prone, throw a single granate, and kill the leftovers. The next spot is the cross section near the base, again, same tactic, going prone, rolling in position, killing soldier in the "tower", waiting a few seconds and advancing into the base. In the base I get to the first building, make sure I´m covered by the wall and slowly advance to the med tent. It´s common to find one or two soldiers inside it, either I throw a granate from the distance or I shoot a few rounds thru the tent.

The "Sanitize" mission in the campaign was at first quite a hard one because the "normal" approach of the assault is by far anything but perfect. I noticed that its much easier to assault enemies from higher point instead of a lower point, so I didn´t decide to go straight to the waypoint in the middle of the village but to go left to the mountain/hill, and then go up keeping the village to my right side. This way the hill covers me, and the bravo team doesn´t start its hopeless assault either. Once I reach the spot where I am slightly above the village, I turn towards it, order hold fire, danger, formation line, and go prone with my men. I slowly move forward until I see the whole village from the side, usally you can see 3 - 5 soldiers, I target them with my men, but the best of this position is that the other enemies are covered by the houses and trees, they will have to reposition to attack me and thats exactly what I want because now I´m prepared for it. Simply start the fireworks and see them getting killed one by one. After its done, move to the waypoint in the center of the village, reground with Bravo further up the hill and position yourself towards the village for the "reinforcement" which shouldn´t make any problems since you outnumber them and are in the better position.

Like I said before, I do like missions which are not babysitting you and where you actually have to think of a different tactic or approach instead of just following the waypoints and I think both Sanitize missions attempt this successfully.

talking sense

Exactly. 90% of the people on this particular forum crying how the missions are crap because...:

1) they are not very easy

2) you need to THINK to complete them instead of just beelining to a waypoint and then expect good results

3) you need to try a couple of times before you get it right

...need to go back to playing HL2, Doom3 or whatever they usually do. Sheesh.

talking sense

Exactly. 90% of the people on this particular forum crying how the missions are crap because...:

2) you need to THINK to complete them instead of just beelining to a waypoint and then expect good results

that is a load of crap! reaction to your 3 points:

1) indeed they are not easy, they are insanely hard and very unrealistic!

2) what you are forgetting here is that I can choose not to lead the squad. I like to follow orders as a soldier and feel te be part of a squad instead of leading one. but this usually means that the AI will take the given approach (beeline to waypoint indeed) and die. you should be able to play these missions without leading the squad... it doesn't make sense that the mission really needs the player's craftiness! an operation like in these missions is carefully planned so it will take minimal casualties, so the mission should be made that way! no way will the american army choose to clean out a village of enemies if it risks the lives of at least 4-5 special ops... if that is the case then they won't commence the attack at all!

3) for some missions i need about 20 times at least, that's insane!

talking sense

2) what you are forgetting here is that I can choose not to lead the squad. I like to follow orders as a soldier and feel te be part of a squad instead of leading one. but this usually means that the AI will take the given approach (beeline to waypoint indeed) and die. you should be able to play these missions without leading the squad... it doesn't make sense that the mission really needs the player's craftiness! an operation like in these missions is carefully planned so it will take minimal casualties, so the mission should be made that way! no way will the american army choose to clean out a village of enemies if it risks the lives of at least 4-5 special ops... if that is the case then they won't commence the attack at all!

i agree with that.

i like a thinking man's game. and i like a challenge. but when the mission starts with me as a teammember following orders, i would like to continue playing the mission like that.

instead, you're basically forced to take over command if you want your men to stay alive for more than 2.5 seconds. OpF was better.

BTW: i started the campaign anew with v1.05 and just tried this mission again. believe it or not, but after having joined up with (the only survivor of) the second squad and having killed all enemies, the mission still won't end! mad_o.gif

Many people criticize mods and mission makers when their missions are bad, so why not criticize BIS? Its not like they haven't done this to themselves icon_rolleyes.gif

agreed

and if he doesn't have anything good to say about it, then thats what he is

sometimes the truth hurts, only liberal bastards try and shut others up

oh yea and don't for get we paid for this, unlike a mod we might get from the source engine

What do you think is gonna happen when this game hits america in the form its in now?

Your not gonna get many new fan boys or especially people willing to buy a beta version of a game. People call me an idiot for ever suggesting this game to them, especially ordering it form over seas. wow_o.gif

To each his own. I suggest you try FarCry, HL2 or Doom 3. Also Counter-Strike is a nice MP internet game.

There is no way to get very "realistic" on any computer currently available to the average consumer and I don't know how long it will take until it will be possible, but if you don't like the OFP or ArmA approach I suggest you stick with playing Mario or something. If you want a shooter FPS where you can ignore stuff like "leading a squad" there are options like mentioned above. Ghost Recon Advanced What Ever is very pretty, maybe you could like that, on the new xbox?

Your head will not hurt because you have to lead a squad, just shoot the hundreds of enemies and you can accomplish the mission.

I don't think ArmA was ment to be like that originally and I'm happy about it since I can play a game which makes me think a bit, but as I said, there are other, different games that require less thought and a very fast mouse finger instead of both. Which is nice.

...it doesn't make sense that the mission really needs the player's craftiness! an operation like in these missions is carefully planned so it will take minimal casualties...

This is the part I'm having the most problems to understand since it comes from someone who bothered to write on this forum at all. So you suggest a game like ArmA, which sort of tries to to simulate modern combat, would be better if it would not require any thought, input or "craftynes" from the player?

In effect this means you would enjoy a campaign where you can run from bush to bush and shoot targets who die. There are a LOT of games which more or less require that and only that, like all the WW2 games published during the past year or two.

Play them! They are fun too, they simulate "realism" since you die from a few shots, and require nill investment of thought, just as you said: you get orders to run from A to B to X and shoot the enemy, do that and you are good.

They also have better GFX than ArmA.

And most of the other game around which involve shooting with a rifle or something have an "easy" setting that makes them less of a bother to play because, well, they are very easy. Darn, you can even make ArmA very easy by editing the config though the options are not clearly visible on any menu and, again, require thinking and/or research. Open your profile and set precisionEnemy to 0.1000000 so the AI is unable to hit you if you still feel like you have to play the game for some reason. You'll get through all the missions on the first try! Awesome!

Sanitize is just plain awful in every sense. Tactically it makes no sense, but also, get this... I was wandering around the town trying to find one last friggin enemy soldier to get the objective done (which is wrong on its own, if intel knew there was one guy left, they would give you an exact count) but anyway, there I was walking around and suddenly 2 metres in front of me spawned about 15 enemy soldiers in a big bunch. Luckily I had my rifle on full-auto at the time so I managed to mow-down half of them before they butchered me.

I uninstalled the game after this. I will now wait for a mega-patch until i bother again.

LOL

uninstalled cause u got pwned.

thats weak