Sign in to follow this  
SHWiiNG

Bullet holes / marks

i Was for some reason admiring the amazing job dome on Grenade and shell scrapes created on the ground when hit, the detail and Normal Mapping makes something so simple look supurb, anyways, whats the chance of seeing equally amazing detail being implemented with Rifles or just with bullets creating holes and scrapes on the side of buildings and Vehicles.. This i thought was going to be implemented in this version.. any possibilities that it will in the near future?

Shwiing

If it's done the same way as craters (or bullet holes on the ground) it might not work out to well on vehicles... which can move... no it doesn't seem very probable, at least not doing it realistically.

BulletHoles

I would just like to direct your attention to this post in the Operation Flashpoint forums.. seems that someone has cracked that little problem.

So why not for ARMA which is after all a more developed OFP engine?

Would be nice indeed.

You have those fancy ricochet, and bullet penetration values, but no bullet holes which is standard in most games...

Not a show stopper though...

Well what i was thinking was that applying these effects will save us from using the Hidious Damaged model of Trucks, Cars, Jeeps etc if they get shot too much by small arms fire.

i mean since when did a vehicle suddenly add 30 years worth of rust and corrosion after been hit by an M16?

(slight Exageration)

Just an idea (don't shoot me)  rofl.gif

Ahem...

yes sorry, what could be worth focusing is instead of holes is improving the actual hit effects on differing surfaces, never got around to making a squib addon for OFP cutscenes, might start to have a look with ArmA (thats if i can sell my kids lol)

But you are 100% right about the detroyed vehicle look, many a time i've turned around quick and stared in horror for a sec and then relaxed as it reverts back to "Rust state" wow_o.gif

I have allready seen it done in ArmA (SLX beta) but the problem indeed is that you have bullet-hole-trails from shooting a moving truck or something, also nice with helicopters... look what that? is it a bird, a plane? No! a bullet hole

All Solus (SLX creator) did was placing impact textures, so when you shoot at a wooden fence you will not be able to look through the hole, although it would be freaking awesome!

I'm not 100% sure but I thought the 6thSense mod allready had it also, will have to check it again myself

huh well i havent heard of any of thse mods for ARMA.. news, screens etc.. hmm im sure that it will be implemented sucessfully once the community has a greater knowlege of the capabilities of ARMA

Many surfaces produce a nice hit effect but others dont.

I agree about having bullet decals on objects, its strange to only have them on the ground, i think it would be worth it smile_o.gif .

i assume that we don't have bullet holes in vehicles because the bullet collision lod is a LOT different of the visual model, would make the bullets holes stick in a weird way to the surface no?

I've been working hard in my Crap Noob Ideas Factory and had the following so-called thought: -

Rather than decals etc, could a cartridge object or maybe a new cylinder object be embedded in the surface of the object being shot-up? The end of the cyclinder would perhaps be visible atop the target object's textures.

Another one which I'm aboslutely certain the engine couldn't support: how about a series of quite short hollow cylinders end-to-end corresponding to the projectile penetration?

goodnight.gif

seeing that on OFP...

I think we already talked about this subject in the past when arma was not released yet. Though we go into no conclusion.

ARMA would be even more realistic then it is. wink_o.gif

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>BIS make it happen!</span>

yup.. you can argue that this is not a great use of a developers time and effort.. but ARMA is all about realism no? adn what im arguing is realistic and plausable.