Sign in to follow this  
iGnitor

Need an unbiased opinion from a veteran

So I have been playing OFP since release and was to purchase ArmA. However, after playing the demo, it feels disloyal to OFP and somewhat flawed in terms of the atmosphere and simulation OFP provided. Of course I take the demo with a pinch of salt, but I remember the original OFP demo being far better and a real technological advancement for its time. To this day no one has truly surpassed the concept.

I have this horrible feeling that the enthusiasm the devs had back then somehow just faded over time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But what I really want to get to is ArmA. So, does it truly beat the original OFP series? Most importantly, is the multiplayer aspect enjoyable through being lag free as I found lag is what usually kills a game, not even the playability in most cases. OFP suffered from terrible NetCode and was truly enjoyable over LAN. But other series such as Battlefield have a good online netcode. Someone fill me in.

Cheers.

Well hard to answer, for me ArmA is a real looker when it comes to ( realistic ) graphics, especially the landscape but it lacks badly when it comes to the atmosphere of the original OFP missions and campaigns.

Cant say much about MP though as i never played an MP game in ArmA yet.

Have high hopes for the next and surely following patches... with a bit modding this can be really great i think... and meanwhile i just do me some reskins smile_o.gif

you havnt played arma until you've played it on MP with friends. - i'll never play a game of single player again.

Some might not consider ArmA to be a standalone sequal to OFP, but it's the only creditable alternative. This is a must buy for anyone who played and loved OFP. It's not an identical twin nor is it a perfect stranger.

I don't know about the competetive modes like CTF and DM, but if you're into coop with like minded friends, ArmA MP is all you need.

its hard to bring justice without comparing them with same island, same unit and same mission confused_o.gif

but i will just wait for CWR to see if ArmA did it, as for right now, everythings feel quite good for me

Out of the box, OFP was more of a single player game (very good campaign) with MP capabilities, while Arma feels more like a multiplayer game (very good coop) with SP capabilites.

However with the editor and some talented scripters or mission makers, I guess anything is possible.

Bugs are sorted out progressively. Version 1.04 runs better than demo, which runs better than 1.02 retail version, and 1.05 looks pretty nice.

Unbiased recommendation : Wait until Friday (version 1.05) and buy it. If it works on you computer, you will probably love it. If it doesn't, bring it back.

Had OFP since it's first day or release in 01' so I think I could be considered a "veteran"

OFP demo compared to ArmA demo. Hard to compare, one was a SP and the other a MP. OFP felt revolutionary at the time and I think it was. ArmA I feel is a extension of OFP, the next step. Even though the demo has bugs, I truely enjoy it as much as the original OFP demo.

ArmA v1.04 compared to some of the first OFP 1.46..and up. I think ArmA surpasses OFP in graphics. I think in realism both are quite equal with ArmA putting forth some added atmosphere and addtional movements that where greatly needed. Better buildings, improved buildings, wildlife, character movements and actions. All a bonus.

Weapons wise I enjoy ArmA's selection much more then the original OFP selections offered.

Island. ArmA wins hands down there also. It was nice to have four islands with OFP, but with ArmA we will get them all back plus Sahrani.

Campaign. OFP so far is the winner. I am half way threw the ArmA campaign and it feels more mission driven then story driven, which is fine with me. I've enjoyed ArmA's campaign, it is challenging. The bugs do give it a knock, which puts it at this time behind OFP's.

Multiplayer. ArmA hands down winner. I've never enjoyed myself more.

And the mods haven't even begun yet, let alone the tools. smile_o.gif

The single missions that come with ArmA are not as good as the OFP ones - however they are not that bad.

When you play MP with friends or a clan it is great fun, no game I'd rather play in MP right now.

The user addons and missions will make sure the game lasts for a long time. smile_o.gif

I would recommend this game.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the island is incredible and surpasses the OFP islands by far.

I have played OFP since its release. Its had such great memories.

I understand what you say about Armed Assault, somethings lack and fail, but you gotta take into consideration, Its brand spanking NEW tounge2.gif OFP had alot of flaws in its orginal release, but it got better and better via BI & Community. Patches will fix things, and as far as i have seen, BI are fixing good important issues aswell as listening TO THE PLAYERS. There constantly making the game better.

I was like you and i did feel the lacking somehow, something. But with 1.04 and soon to come patch 1.05 !!! It is looking and feeling better than its orginal release. Currently i own the German 1.02 Version, and im gonna buy UK 1.04 within this week !

Give ArmA a chance, i say itll pullback your negetive thoughts towards it !

Well thats my speech ^^ biggrin_o.gif

I was so sick and tired of the terrible performance of OFP! 3 generations of computers had to cope with this game and none of them was capable to master it, fxxxx slideshows on even the best hardware!  

tounge2.gif

But ArmA just runs smoooth, and finally I no longer have to touch the screen with my noose to see hostile soldiers at 100m distance!

I was so sick and tired of the terrible performance of OFP! 3 generations of computers had to cope with this game and none of them was capable to master it, fxxxx slideshows on even the best hardware!

tounge2.gif

But ArmA just runs smoooth, and finally I no longer have to touch the screen with my noose to see hostile soldiers at 100m distance!

Dood .. wtf lol .. You know you are not supposed to install OFP on a friggin' gameboy rofl.gif

Never had these problems with OFP.

Some old OpF vets obviously have a hard time to let it go... if you really loved OpF just buy ArmA. My German v1.02 is so much better than the demo (SP/MP) - esp flying helis is much more realistic than OpF now.

Everything else you may find annoying is just hairsplitting and wotever it is, it'll be fixed with patches at some time anyway. I wouldn't wait any longer for ArmA tbh.

Btw: IGnitor - i'm not a blind ArmA advertizer, i must've played the original Opf demo over a thousand times really, so i guess we both have the same personal taste. smile_o.gif

Its not there yet, but it will be soon..

When the CW mod is released (hopefully as well as good old Everon) I'll be much happier.. Oh, and CTI (Preferably Cleanrock's) biggrin_o.gif

THEN I'll be able to compare it properly! smile_o.gif

Hey, you can get it online for 21 quid.. Not that expensive at all for a new game!

#C

ArmA is a gorgeous combat simulation. Not just graphically but in game play also. I used to hate coop, but its simply a blast to play on a well made mission in armed assault. I also am a big fan of the MP modes. I cant even get myself to play the single player campaign now. I think ArmA is strong enough of a game, for me, that its helped me overlook the flaws needing patches. For now. Time to put OFP to bed. Spend more time playing ArmA and you'll begin to appreciate it more. thumbs-up.gif

I haven't played OFP/Red Hammer/Resistance now for a good 2 years (since i played and finished them), so i installed for 'old times sake' and glad i did.

Thing is, ArmA is like what Morrowind was to Oblivion -it takes a lot to accept changes in the community.

I keep playing the SP missions in ArmA and have backed off the campaign until the 1.05 patch. But it's a weird beast, because it attracts you more and more you play it!

The story and campaign are not in the same league as OFPs -yes it does feel disjointed and you have hit the nail on the head by 'sensing' a lack of enthuisiasim by BIS.

I got the same feeling? I was pretty shocked (and let down) when the campaign turned out not be an epic.

But i'm giving BIS the benefit of the doubt; they have been though a dirty separation from Codemasters and financialy they must have felt it.

Anyway, i bought ArmA from Gameplay for a tad under £22. So it has 'sandbox' potential and if BIS hit this with a good patch (1.05 looking good) that and another good addon campaign (Resistance style) well......who knows eh wink_o.gif

If your a hardcore coop player and thats pretty much all you play, nothing else. They yes, its worth it.

For anyother reason, It's not. At least at the moment.

BUY THE GAME ALREADY!

patch 1.05 wil be coming out soon and, pray to God, it'll give a huge performance boost (despite the tweaks i did all over the game files, i cant play with shadows on low and still stuck on low textures and very low shading on my 6600gt.)

Arma has a very strong grip on MP and i enjoyed the demo a lot... you meet lots of strange people online.

The new interface is much more user friendly in-game with all that green icons now too.

Still.. personally i feel something lacking in the atmosphere compared to OFP. Maybe its because when OFP came out we were still... virgins... to this type of gameplay so that oculd be a contributing factor to the experience.

btw someone said BF's netcode was solid.. well... from what ive experienced EA has very terrible netcoding skills. (and the patches for 2142... eee...)

Anyways, get Arma, man... and we'll see you online!

Now to get my hands on a retail copy... Arma's not out in Asia yet.

EDIT- typo.

<s>If your a hardcore coop player and thats pretty much all you play, nothing else.  They yes, its worth it.

For anyother reason, It's not.  At least at the moment.</s>

Slow paced CTF is still possible, but fast paced coop isnt (although those arent very common)

So its more like:

If you liked the slow paced gaming of OFP, definitely buy it

If you liked the fast paced gaming, try a friends copy first. (when 1.05 is out)

Here is my humble opinion:

More and more I am cheating on my "wife" OFP with my new "girlfriend" ArmA. My honest opinion is that ArmA is much better in every area you can compare, so you should go on and get it.

ArmA lacks the 5-6 years worth of third party addons; but, I'm sure the community will provide the missing equipment soon enough. The flight model has been changed a lot and it will take some getting used to. (OFP flight is very easy by comparison; but, with practice and paitence you can fly OK in ArmA.)

You seem like a die hard OFP fan and I respect that. I too, am OFP for life. Remember; there is no law that says you must uninstall OFP before you install ArmA. I will never quit OFP, and now I have ArmA also. It's a win win situation.

(I have VBS1 <core> too.)

Just get ArmA already, stop pretending you're "thinking" about it biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

It's very much the successor to OFP, any whining you hear about it being too different is just exactly that - whining. Some people just wanted exactly, precisely the same game again which doesn't sound like progression to me.

What I found with ArmA, is that it's like playing OFP in the world of Oblivion. It looks terrific, although I wish there were a way to desaturate the colours a bit. It's a little too "Obliviony" and vibrant, still most people seem to like it smile_o.gif

Once ArmA grows on you, you'll never play OFP again... well, at least not unless you want a couple of good ole rounds of "FLAGFIGHTGUNS" on Nogova, something I still enjoy with my buddies.

No joke, just buy the game. If not for the original BIS campaign, then for the mods-to-be.

Thanks for all your input.

I'm glad to see we're all like-minded players so that in my opinion is no doubt an excellent thing since hopefully we can help shape this game and future editions.

I have nothing but respect for BIS since they are the only developer I truly consider a 'dark horse' in the industry. I want nothing less than to see them succeed since I don't believe many developers share the same ideals as them (perhaps Wings Simulations, Germany at best).

Still, like a poster mentioned, there is always hope and with all the advances in software engineering and hardware improvements I expect them only to go forward. Let's just hope they maintain the quality of the series.

As for what I said regarding Battlefield netcode, DICE is the talent that made the online netcode really quite good for a game that also includes vehicles. I can't think of any other titles that match up to it (at least at the time) in terms of online performance (specifically BF1942 release).

What I loved about OFP-

-The general atmosphere i.e. war torn planes, dull colour tones and the general war feel (no I'm not a sadist but I can appreciate what is almost poetic wink_o.gif )

- The sounds- Rolling tanks from great distances, Mi-24's with paratroopers etc dropping over your location. Music might be a bit cheesy at times but I can honestly say I thought it was pretty much perfect for this game.

- Seclusion- The feeling of being in a huge place, on your own (in solo missions) and suddenly seeing a small platoon over the hills on the horizon... same can be said in the opposite way for having an own platoon though

- Immersion- the feeling of truly being in the world of OFP and a game that could actually make one go on edge i.e. fear of being shot... the first such game for me

- Simulation- keeping true to life as is possible whilst maintaining playability...  things like locational damage, authentic weapons, realistic carrying load etc...

Serving Walkers pleasantries with a side of abject disgust? Interesting.

iGnitor, Like everybody else, I reccomend you just get it. If you're still hesitant, wait for the 1.05 patch and check the feedback. If it's not up to your liking after that, not much else is going to sell it to you.

Hi,

I think it's crap.

Kind regards,

blackdog

Don't pay attention to this guy. Even though he's been around for a long time, he seems to have now become a troll that can only whine.

He thinks it's "crap", yet he spends plenty of time here. Guess he doesn't have anything better to do. Only an idiot would hang around on a specific forum that represents something he can't stand... Genius at work. crazy_o.gif