Sign in to follow this  
brokekneck

The jets

Just woundering how the jets fly before I buy the game. I hear people aren't that impressed, which kinda sucks. I'm just looking for more imput.

Right now there is only 1 jet ingame (german version), a harrier, but currently it got no VTOL abilities. Most likely this will be fixed with the next patch.

Simulation is good though imo.

The jets are probably the weakest modelling in arma, the arcade fm is hard to fly. It does the job of delivering some guided bombs and missiles tho.

It depends:

If you plan to fly with a joystick, maybe you'll like it.

It if you plan to fly with mouse/keyboard, its unlikely you'll like it.

well in my experience the harrier is a lot easier to fly than the su33 - i find i really have to struggle with it in flight but its weapons payload more than makes up for any difficulties i have keeping it airborne. (maybe some of that is just down to the fact i have less time in the air in the SU33.)

i seem to remember back in the days of OFP people complaining that flying was too easy.

i for one like its quirkyness - strap on a harrier then jump to an su33 it definately feels like your flying a different machine.

i think the difficulties in flying the aircraft adds an element of skill and realism that wasnt present in ofp. i like the fact not everyone can jump into the cockpit and bring death from the sky.

right now i`m just enjoying the learning curve.

I don't know that by having to fight to control the aircraft makes it more fun. Personally I would much rather have the old flight model. Then current model might be better with a gigantic view distance, but most people will find it frustrating to make turns so big you lose almost lose sight of the target. Just my opinion though.

It's really difficult to describe how jets fly... but if I had to describe the flight physics with a picture then this what I would describe them with:

hindenburger4.gif

A pretty accurate representation of the Flight Model... well the jets handle pretty close to this:

Electric_triycle_JT-D.jpg

If you can fly a jet in Arma you can ride on that. Don't forget to wear a helmet.