Tactical Jerky

Upcoming tactical shooter from Blackfoot Studios: Ground Branch

Well I'm not going to carry on wasting my (virtual) breath. Keep repeating that party line and let us know how it worked out in 10 days time.

I don't understand what point you're making. You prefer Serellan stating its intentions are much clearer but I fail to see how. If you look at the features list for Takedown, it's very vague, with the game trying to please different communities (SWAT 4, Tom Clancy Rainbow Six, SOCOM etc.) and I don't see any information on what engine will be used. Nor did they have anything to show to give people an idea of what they were aiming for. No, that's wrong, they did - a few real life pictures stolen from places on the internet and photoshopped which the project lead initially denied! Extremely poor way to start off a business IMHO. Whereas with GB, the features are much more clear and nailed down and they have things to show off which gives people are far better idea of where the game is headed.

Note, I am not a member of the GB forums and I only heard of it through these forums. I didn't back Serellan because of its lack of clarity and having nothing to show. I haven't backed GB either but I am considering to do so because their KS succeeds in the critical areas where Serellan's failed.

One of the videos showed that there was some kind of MP functionality no (at least I saw several people running around)?

Showing how tactics are applied within Ground Branch even in PvP game would've went a long way towards hyping up people if they don't have much else.

By now it's pretty clear that the tactical community is way too jaded and will be on a fence until a last second (see how Takedown lacked 70k in the last day and then it received considerably more donations than the needed budget over the course of the day)

I'd think when most people hear Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six they think about tactics, commanding team, breaching rooms in various ways. Realistic movement/shooting mechanics are good and all but GR/R6 had none - just a hitscan crosshair and a floating camera. It's that people were able to command soldiers and do tacticool stuff is what mattered.

One of the videos showed that there was some kind of MP functionality no (at least I saw several people running around)?

I think you're mistaken the video you've seen, because Ground Branch hasn't shown any MP footage.. They have some MP replication issue which means that a lot of stuff is not replicated (certain gear, I believe some things with animations etc). So they currently are unable to show anything with multiple actors in it. There are however screenshots which have multiple characters, which you do by positioning them in the editor etc.

Just thought I'd let everyone know that we are going to include SP/Co-op of Ground Branch FREE to all KS backers. Here is the official update:

We have heard the message loud and clear and are happy to announce that we are going to offer ALL of our Kickstarter backers that pledged from the minimum $15 reward up, the Singleplayer/Co-Op portion (with advanced AI) of GROUND BRANCH for FREE. Every copy of the game gets this; So for example, if you get a FIRETEAM EDITION then all 4 copies will be eligible for the additional release.

This will be available some time after the initial release that will include full multiplayer (objective-based TvT, PvP) and core single player/co-operation gameplay (e.g. terrorist hunt against bots) from the start.

Let the world know so that we can all enjoy GROUND BRANCH!

Edited by jsonedecker

Just thought I'd let everyone know that we are going to include SP/Co-op of Ground Branch FREE to all KS backers. Here is the official update:

We have heard the message loud and clear and are happy to announce that we are going to offer ALL of our Kickstarter backers that pledged from the minimum $15 reward up, the Singleplayer/Co-Op portion (with advanced AI) of GROUND BRANCH for FREE. Every copy of the game gets this; So for example, if you get a FIRETEAM EDITION then all 4 copies will be eligible for the additional release.

This will be available some time after the initial release that will include full multiplayer (objective-based TvT, PvP) and core single player/co-operation gameplay (e.g. terrorist hunt against bots) from the start.

Let the world know so that we can all enjoy GROUND BRANCH!

Made it bigger so it gets peoples attention more. I am now much, much more excited. Let all of your friends know that GB will now support proper co-op and SP and I am sure the number of pledges will increase.

Edited by W0lle
Made it smaller because we're not blind here

New video on map design:

I like this video, at least the parts with the drawn map layouts. Shows that the maps are open with multiple insertion points and the player will have freedom to encircle or move in, and then back to the outskirts of the map if needed.

Hey Guys/Girls, I'am new here but have been an active supporter of BI since 2001. This is great news and I've up my pledge for a third time due to this latest video. ArmA is trully a great franchise, but lets be honest the only way games like this can improve is with robust competition, TakeDown a good start but we also Need Ground Branch too. This game hits all the marks, Great Developer, more realism then you can poke a stick at, ongoing mod and other support and all for the price of a Mcdonalds meal, you just can't beat that. :)

I'm kinda having doubts this project'll get $380,000 in five days, but hey, 120 hours is a lot of time. I really hope this makes it because it's one of the few projects that have actual footage to back up their statements.

I can definetly see your point, it is alot money to raise and they need more backers. However other Kickstarters have achieved this goal in the same amount or less time so it is doable. People however need to make a decision and stop sitting on the fence otherwise this project won't succeed. :(

The way how Kickstarter works is that 3rd person companies eye the product, and monitor its popularity.

Then in the last 3 days or so, BAM, all the money is thrown in if the product seems to succeed.

Co-op puts this back on my radar.

I'll have a look at kickstarter and see what I think.

Well. Good luck developers and backers. I'd back you as well if I could, but I can't.

You should've announced it right away. I bet many people still don't know it's not planned to be just MP-only now.

But good luck either way. I hope even if Kickstarter fails it won't mean the project will go belly up.

They raised $100k, while short of their $400k goal that's still no small amount. $100k can carry them while they develop more funding strategies. These guys seem like a smart bunch, so I'm willing to be they have contingencies.

They raised $100k, while short of their $400k goal that's still no small amount. $100k can carry them while they develop more funding strategies. These guys seem like a smart bunch, so I'm willing to be they have contingencies.

You do understand that they will not see a single cent from all the pledges so far unless they hit or overshoot their goal?

It's clearly labeled on the project page:

THIS PROJECT WILL ONLY BE FUNDED IF AT LEAST $425,000 IS PLEDGED BY FRIDAY JUL 6, 6:56PM EDT

What happens in 3 days if the goal is not reached, only jsonedecker knows I guess.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

You do understand that they will not see a single cent from all the pledges so far unless they hit or overshoot their goal?

Just learned this today. Shucks.

I've only found out about Ground Branch a few days ago and it sure looks worth backing, less that the price of a small pizza.

I also just started playing the ArmA II series and find it very refreshing recently, because of being sick and tired of BF3's total junk of late (sorry I ever got sucked up into that franchise).

So to me the future is looking much brighter now after finding the ArmA series and hopefully GB if they can get it funded (fingers crossed), however with the launch of EA's Premium service I can only hope that others like myself will say enough of this gargage jump ship and start supporting titles like ArmA and GB.

just a note, EA's Premium has over 800.000 subscribers...(less than COD elite or whatever, but even so). I guess that says something about current game industry....

just a note, EA's Premium has over 800.000 subscribers...(less than COD elite or whatever, but even so). I guess that says something about current game industry....

True, 800,000 is a lot, but given the fact that they have sold around 15 million that is only around 5% of original purchasers. Most likely a lot of players have given up on the series after seeing that the quality of game play is lacking, (bugs, hacks, lack of customer support and such) and the direction the franchise is headed is turning a lot away. Also, Premium is getting quite a lot of negative feedback at the moment.

Blame gamers.

Want it or not but EA just goes with the flow.

Well, we didn't make it this time but thanks to all those that supported us on the Kickstarter.

Time to regroup and figure out the best way to charge ahead!

Well, we didn't make it this time but thanks to all those that supported us on the Kickstarter.

Time to regroup and figure out the best way to charge ahead!

I pray that your project eventually comes to fruition and honestly beleive you will have huge success with Ground Branch if you can just get the ball rolling. I have a suggestion for you, it's possibly a stupid one, but I'll put it out there anyhow because I'm desperate to see your dream become a reality. Perhaps you could develop and sell a 'pop-up target firing range mission', it would be a good opportunity for people to try out some of the weapons and test their skills at the same time. I'm sure lot's of people that didn't contribute to the kickstarter would be more inclined to spend their money if they get instant fun in return. What I'm basically saying is that it might be a relatively quick way for you to start obtaining the funding that you require to finish your project. I'll buy 2 copies, and I will definitely get the highest score on the shooting range. :)