Tactical Jerky

Upcoming tactical shooter from Blackfoot Studios: Ground Branch

It's strange that Bohemia have never developed a tactical shooter, they have all the resources to do so.

ARMA 2 can be considered a tactical shooter. It is mostly played out that way. It is what you make out of it. There are simulator like VBS2 and ACE mod and simulate realism really well for your tactical needs.

ARMA 2 can be considered a tactical shooter.

Realistic CQB simulation in Arma and VBS2 is miserably inadequate.

Realistic CQB simulation in Arma and VBS2 is miserably inadequate.

Tac shooter for open area and a Tac shooter for confined space, simple as that.

Tac shooter for open area and a Tac shooter for confined space, simple as that.

Basically that sums up my point. ARMA is good for open space Tac shooter while SWAT & Rainbow Six is good for confined space tac shooter.

And then the upcoming Ground Branch and Takedown will be good for confined space tac shooter.

Basically that sums up my point. ARMA is good for open space Tac shooter while SWAT & Rainbow Six is good for confined space tac shooter.

And then the upcoming Ground Branch and Takedown will be good for confined space tac shooter.

Why can't I have both in a game?

I'm less up to the minute on really recent games, but I would hazard a guess that because no game has really done both at once to my knowledge, it must be a technical challenge.

Its also marketing. If a company focused on CQB had to spend time pandering to a large sandbox it wouldn't be worth it and maybe not sell well as they are more focused on CQB smaller aspects. The only place is someone who already has a large scope game on sandbox open battle and that's, well, who we are on the forums with now :)

Plus the fact that the genre fan base are split more and some who are CQB/smaller game area play wont justify buying a game where its focus was split and only want 50 percent of the games features.

I think only BIS can do what we would like as I say they have the sandbox & have covered the larger aspect, I would love to see some sort of CQB based team adopt an addon or DLC for Arma3 engine that would cover a CQB pack (complete focus on that area). I know BIS can do well already though, and maybe it wont be needed. Although I would still probably go for a separate game that deals with this aspect alone, will be watching this closely.

If BIS are adding thephysics/updated GUI that can be modded, animations to sort out CQB then it has the goundwork to me modded or added too by "someone" all you then need is the ability to stack orders mod a GUI wheel type function and so on as a expansion or mod.

Anyway, thats more Arma3 related I suppose :)

Edited by mrcash2009

Why can't I have both in a game?

Ground Branch will have a bit of both, but not as sandbox as Arma! More a combination of Rainbow Six CQB and original Ghost Recon outdoor maps and everything in between. Based on this:

The play spaces will be mixed with lots of outdoor areas and lots of indoor as well. The aim is to provide outdoor spaces that are not channelized and just cliff walls that make you feel like you are outside. On the flip side, we are also not going for the great open expanses that some “sandbox†games give you. So basically we will have both outdoor as well as indoor CQB missions. Some maps will have a combination of both. Of course there will be plenty of buildings to explore.

Source: http://groundbranch.com/questions-and-answers/

I would love to see some sort of CQB based team adopt an addon or DLC for Arma3 engine that would cover a CQB pack (complete focus on that area).

There have been literally tens of thousands of wishes, ideas and suggestions posted throughout the BIS forums over the years. You sir have posted the BEST idea of them all!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/670743543/ground-branch

Not much I can say that isn't already in the video and description there. As a major Arma fan, I think Arma players would love this as well and might spend at least 15$ to get this project going. I'm very happy they finally got the kickstarter going so that they can actually release this game already, since it's been in (very slow) development for years already, and now with actual funds they might actually get it out in a reasonable timeframe.

Looking way similar to ArmA 2 by graphic wise I say but looks cool but I am sure they wont let people mod.

Well my point of view.

Anything they create for modding the game will be available to the public to create their own mods. It's based on the Unreal Engine, in which case you can start creating content with the UDK now and have it ready to go when the game ships.

Looking way similar to ArmA 2 by graphic wise I say but looks cool but I am sure they wont let people mod.

Well my point of view.

From the Kickstarter itself:

MOD SUPPORT: As far as we're concerned: modding is the lifeblood of PC gaming. Full modding support will be available very soon after launch. We are committed to supporting the mod community to the best of our abilities, for the lifetime of the product, and look forward to the content our community will create. We will not only support it in the sense that the engine is capable of it, but we will go out of our way to provide various asset libraries, and we will showcase quality mods on our website.

It's something that's been talked about at extreme lengths over at the BFS forums, and there's even a modding subsection already.

Some anims were cool, especially the pistol transition whilst orientating towards the target.

:) Cool.

Going to be donating myself when I get a chance. Keep spreading the word.

Sorry for the inconvenience. It is possible that this thread was closed when I was merging all of the various Ground Branch threads together. Carry on :)

Sorry for the inconvenience. It is possible that this thread was closed when I was merging all of the various Ground Branch threads together. Carry on :)

Thanks for reopening it.

If this gets the funding it needs, Takedown turns out well, we will have the major areas covered.

Small indoor CQC - Takedown

Outdoors and CQC - Ground Branch

Large, battlefield environments - ArmA 3

We have been sorely missing two of the three for many years.

If you have any interest in realistic tactical shooters do drop a pledge or two. Aside from ArmA and Takedown (still has very far to go) there is nothing else in store for the genre.

I think a game like Ground Branch could be a stepping stone for new players to the ArmA-verse. I know a lot of people when they hear "realism" they probably don't think it will be fun, but they may be more inclined to give a game like GB a try before a multi-faceted game like ArmA. Then when they realize "realism" can be fun, they might want to open up their mindset to more "realism" based games, i.e. ArmA. Just my $.02.

Thanks for reopening it.

If this gets the funding it needs, Takedown turns out well, we will have the major areas covered.

Small indoor CQC - Takedown

Outdoors and CQC - Ground Branch

Large, battlefield environments - ArmA 3

We have been sorely missing two of the three for many years.

If you have any interest in realistic tactical shooters do drop a pledge or two. Aside from ArmA and Takedown (still has very far to go) there is nothing else in store for the genre.

The more tactical games on the market the better. Relive the glory days of Rainbow Six (except the dial up modems) and play something actually enjoyable.

I think a game like Ground Branch could be a stepping stone for new players to the ArmA-verse. I know a lot of people when they hear "realism" they probably don't think it will be fun, but they may be more inclined to give a game like GB a try before a multi-faceted game like ArmA. Then when they realize "realism" can be fun, they might want to open up their mindset to more "realism" based games, i.e. ArmA. Just my $.02.

I would expect this as well. I believe a game like Rainbow 6 (the old ones), while still complex are a bit easier to jump into than ArmA. Get more people playing Ground Branch and they might eventually come over to ArmA.

Likewise, many will start with IL-2 before moving onto complex aircraft like DCS A-10C.

And lets keep spreading the word. We always hear about how we want more tactical shooters yet the Kickstarter turnout so far isn't that good. I realize many people, no matter how much they like tactical shooters are not interested in donating up front, but surely there has to be more than a mere 350 or so.