Tactical Jerky

Upcoming tactical shooter from Blackfoot Studios: Ground Branch

Looks interesting, but it will probably just be another unrealistic USA-spreading-the-torch-of-freedom game where you fight the drunken Russian/fanatic middle easterner etc etc...

Let's hope I'm dead wrong.

Can you read?

Guest Ti0n3r

I don't trust what I read.

Well I must admit that this game looked rather interesting until I read a certain statement by one of the developers.
Quote[/b] ]I don't forsee us making maps that require a vehicle to traverse to the other side, sorry.

The game just lost 80 % appeal in my book confused_o.gif

Its impossible to create a very realistic full combat game/sim with huge environments where you can use vehicles.

In all cases (including BIS games) the implementation of vehicles turns out arcadish.

BFS are going with the foot/ground gameplay and hopefully will get it wright (i believe they will).

Arma "touches" realism but the gameplay is so open and diverse that its impossible to apply alot of it in every single gameplay aspect. Thats where the limitations kick in, you dont have a perfect rotary wing sim, a fixed wing sim, an armored sim or the best possible infantry sim all combined in the same product, you get something as close as it gets.

BFS's idea is alright (believable setting atleast) and well thought out it imo, after watching the gorgeous stupidity COD4 is presenting i think this game is one to look out for smile_o.gif .

I want this game... yesterday pistols.gif .

I dunno about this it looks too "graphicy"...And so far the only game that turned out to be everything I've expected and more (and I've played them all) is OFP.

Why? There hasn't been anything to suggest the devs lied about the plot and setting of the game.

Another Rainbow Sux game...yawn. Small maps and linear game play with a second rate illusion of open endedness. Yes and probably will have content like. Western Corporation bribes corrupt government (Take ya pick from South america to eastern Europe to the Middle east) Local people (oh noes Terrorists) don't like it and try to shut said corporation down.

recycled bollox

Guest Ti0n3r

Why? There hasn't been anything to suggest the devs lied about the plot and setting of the game.

I don't trust most stuff I read about games in development because I've learned that a lot of it is just yadayadayada. Let's just see.

Another Rainbow Sux game...yawn. Small maps and linear game play with a second rate illusion of open endedness. Yes and probably will have content like. Western Corporation bribes corrupt government (Take ya pick from South america to eastern Europe to the Middle east) Local people (oh noes Terrorists) don't like it and try to shut said corporation down.

recycled bollox

The same can be said for most games these days. The original Rainbow Six games (R6 and Rogue Spear) were brilliant for their day. I still play Rogue Spear often, although not quite as sophisticated as Swat 4, I find it less constraining or something, just some good old fashioned Terrorist hunt fun.

As for the later ones? Havent played Lockdown or Vegas, but from what I read they have nothing in common with the "Real" Rainbow Sixes. Raven Shield was sorta half way, but was still quite good.

"Take ya pick from South america to eastern Europe to the Middle east"

If there're any places in the world where corporations have highest influence on corrupted government it's in Western Europe and North America. South America Eastern Europe and the REST OF THE CIVILIZED WORLD knows this. As a matter of fact you can find every significant mafia and organized crime gang from every corner of the world operating in and from north america.

"Take ya pick from South america to eastern Europe to the Middle east"

If there're any places in the world where corporations have highest influence on corrupted government it's in Western Europe and North America. South America Eastern Europe and the REST OF THE CIVILIZED WORLD knows this. As a matter of fact you can find every significant mafia and organized crime gang from every corner of the world operating in and from north america.

Because there is the most money in N. America. And you want to talk about corruption...I've been to Russia several times, and Turkey. Those are corrupt countries - and the most corrupt people are the former communist leaders who seized state assets and privatized them.

Hell my fiancee is Russian and she tells me stories that you would NEVER hear in America about professors giving out grades in exchange for a good bottle of Vodka.

Point is, where ever there is money, there is corruption.

But you're just hating on the game so whatever.

ps, the cold war is over and the good guys won.

Imo USA is far more corrupted than the soviet union ever was. Only big difference is these guys sweep it under the rug and hide it from the light of day far better than USSR did. But there's only so much dirt you can sweep under that rug before people start noticing a suspicious buldge.

What do you mean "Point is, where ever there is money, there is corruption."? There's money everywhere but in most parts of the civilized world you don't see governments blowing up their own buildings and people in false flag operations just to have a pretext to start a war in the name of corporate profitiering.

PS, Who would have ever guessed that commies and leftists were "the good guys" all along... or maybe the more appropriate moral to this story is that good guys really do finish last. rofl.gif

Imo USA is far more corrupted than the soviet union ever was. Only big difference is these guys sweep it under the rug and hide it from the light of day far better than USSR did. But there's only so much dirt you can sweep under that rug before people start noticing a suspicious buldge.

What do you mean "Point is, where ever there is money, there is corruption." there's money everywhere but in most parts of the civilized world you don't see governments blowing up their own buildings and people in false flag operations just to have a pretext to start a war in the name of corporate profitiering.

PS, Who would have ever guessed that commies and leftists were "the good guys" all along... or maybe the more appropriate moral to this story is that good guys really do finish last. rofl.gif

WTF has this got to do with the topic? There are better places to go to if you want to have these "my country is better than yours" debates.

The whole world is full of corruption, you just need to know where to look whistle.gif

Right pardon me ... back on topic folks nothing to see here.

[imghttp://www.retroremakes.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/stapler.png[/img]

" Empires are not countries , they're just passing phases of immaturity" - RedNova

I like the story, but the engine seems a bit spartan.

Seems the game probably won't have dynamic destruction of terrain and fancy things like that, which is a shame since i can already choose from a myriad of other tactical shooters that are realistic and, from a technological viewpoint, rather outdated.

They should combine the cutting edge of CoD4, Crysis and Co with realism... But that doesn't sell because Little Timmy doesn't enjoy getting killed and not being able to run n gun. sad_o.gif

Offtopic: About the cold war being won by the good guys... all wars are won by the good guys, since the winners dictate who is good and who is bad. If the commies win we would be reading horror stories about homeless people in the west living like animals and that brave communism saved the world from poverty.

I think a better combination would be detailed body hit detecton from Soldier of Fortune 2 + RTS/FPS,moddability of ArmA + Complex AI of Metal Gear Solid.

Instead we're being brainwashed about the wonderful prosperity we get out of capitalism and how wonderous it's none-existant "freedom & democracy" is. Same thing if you ask me but in different packaging.

BFS are a small studio making a game with a third party, licensed engine...

Their budget is likely to be very tight so making a COD/Crysis comparison (production value/technology) is out of reason.

If they can nail down the gameplay, netcode, the a.i. and come up with a reasonably good looking game i'll be all over it.

The old R6/GR games were very simplistic productions but they played and felt good.

Some moderator could rename the topic?

I dont think corruption/conspiracy theories belong in here...

Rednova, this thread is about a game so keep politics and bad attitude elsewhere. Your Offtopic picture is also >100KB.

You're new here so I'm cutting you some slack. Next time I might not be so polite.

Right I beg your pardons Shadow , notworthy.gif Will tame myself ASAP.

Their budget is likely to be very tight so making a COD/Crysis comparison (production value/technology) is out of reason.

If they can nail down the gameplay, netcode, the a.i. and come up with a reasonably good looking game i'll be all over it.

The old R6/GR games were very simplistic productions but they played and felt good

Yes, but the AI, netcode, etc. are just as expensive as the physics and graphics. So the tightness is going to reach there too. There is still a lot of room for improvement within realistic shooters, since dynamic destruction has a pretty big impact on real world combat.

Don't get me wrong, more power to anyone making realistic games, it's just that i dunno how much different this one will be from the old games i already played.

Yes, but the AI, netcode, etc. are just as expensive as the physics and graphics. So the tightness is going to reach there too. There is still a lot of room for improvement within realistic shooters, since dynamic destruction has a pretty big impact on real world combat.

Don't get me wrong, more power to anyone making realistic games, it's just that i dunno how much different this one will be from the old games i already played.

Crysis should be the game for you then smile_o.gif .

I cant see what the big deal is about making destructible terrain on a game where you use handguns, SMG's, assault rifles, etc...

Isn't realism what everyone screams for? I don't understand the push back on just the concept of a game that is meant to be very real and very tactical.

And about graphics, ArmA's graphics aren't that great on OFP was horrible - but they are good in their own right.

Why can't Ground Branch be the same way?

I just noticed this post on the infiltration forum.

Now that is some -very- good new regarding this blackfoot studios project.

in its times OFP and OFPR visuals were fine ...

and ...

i definitely missing it's shadows

they were way more 'tweakable' than any shadows before and after ...

i mean in arma who gets shadows till horizont ? smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

The old R6/GR games were very simplistic productions but they played and felt good

That depends what game engine they are using.

If they are using Quake or Unreal, all the AI and netcode are pretty much already done for them.

I'm not opposed to cheap and cheerful games. Not every thing has to be a budget whopper like Crysis.

I think the hardest problem this company will have is funding.

From what I have seen development is a long way short of any Alpha, with just the odd 3D model on display last time I visited their website.

Nothing on display more encouraging than any mod announcement. A lot less work than most I've seen to be fair.

No reason for me to believe this is anything more than hot air yet.

I wonder who put up the money to lisence the software engine?

A lot of these games turn vapourware at the Alpha stage. At the point where they have to make a publishing deal or go out of business.

I think this is a lot of money to find unless you happen to be a multi-millionaire yourself to start the ball rolling. And even then..

I think a relatively low ambition game like the Rainbows is an excellent idea.

It's acheiveable and for players like me, very enjoyable.

Another all things to everyone title like Soldner and Armed Assault seems to be just a white rabbit for the low budget brigade in my opinion.